Thai Law And Its Interpretation? This Correct?

funfun

Thai Law and its interpretation

The election law bans alcohol on election days. Pattaya Police ordered the closure of all entertainment venues in Pattaya, Jomtien and Naklua. According to reports Bangkok's bars have been allowed to stay open - albeit with no alcohol.

so i was under the impresion that it was no alcohol but ok to sell soft drinks etc last and this weekend!

so is it a close bar this weekend or open for soft drinks?

copied from a website

come on bertie basset you good at this sort of thing (bit early for ya) & britmaverick! :o

chris

The law says nothing of closures, only about alcohol sales.

Although practically most places not bother to open when they are only allowed to sell soft drinks.

Me thinks it is up to the bar owner to decide to open or not, although the general consensus seems to be that the BIB seem to want the purely entertainment venues to stay closed (go-go bars, regular bars etc, in general places who do not have the coveted "food" license).

I doubt they can fine you if you are open but absolutely no alcohol is being sold...

Evening Chris!! I have never been given one of the dreaded letters to close so I dont know if they say close or just no booze, however not having a letter is no exuse as they expect you to know anyway. The local press this year made a big point of mentioning Local Laws apply and the Police would not bother Large hotels and resorts, maybe in BKK they allowed the gogo bars to stay open with no booze as a local law.

Chris, by staying open and selling softies only you're potentially creating more work for the cops. And that's not a good thing from their point of view, which is really the only one that matters. You run a bar and if you stay open the cops may feel a need to check on you periodically during the weekend to see exactly what is in those coffee cups and coke bottles. They may not tell you to close as they did to bars on Walking Street, but they have long memories and you may find yourself paying for their trouble at a later date.

-redwood

Was it last weekend when they had the forst round of elections? 14-15-16? I went down walking

street and I'm not kidding the BIB had their own videographer and were taking footage of bars

that were open. (I guess for proof later?) Not the kind of people you want to cross. :o