Car Imports From U.k.?

woody100

I have lived in Thailand for three years. Due to the poor quality and high prices I am looking to import a secondhand vehicle from the U.K I have found out the shiping costs but I am unable to get any advice on the problems and prices I will have with customs when the vehicle arrives in Thailand. I also have no idea of the problems I may have when I try to register the vehicle over here, can anybody give me any help and advice.

Wow

What a negative response from everyone,

It can be done and at a reasonable price on the Ro Ro system, But i do understand why everyone feels like this.

Firstly you must get a b visa and a work permit, Then it must come over as personal effects and you must show log book proving you have owned the car for at least two years.

Then send the shipping company in Bkk all the details of the car ie Chassis no, Engine no, Engine capacity, Make, Model, and year of manufacture. The company can then ask customs for the import tariff for this vehicle.

The problem i see with the person who asked this question is that he clearly does not own a car at present in the UK so would not have a log book showing two years ownership, also does he have work permit and the right visas for this type of import.

Hope you dont think i am trying to be a know all but just going on my own experience thus far.

Mike.

Wow

It can be done and at a reasonable price on the Ro Ro system, But i do understand why everyone feels like this.

Firstly you must get a b visa and a work permit, Then it must come over as personal effects and you must show log book proving you have owned the car for at least two years.

Then send the shipping company in Bkk all the details of the car ie Chassis no, Engine no, Engine capacity, Make, Model, and year of manufacture. The company can then ask customs for the import tariff for this vehicle.

The problem i see with the person who asked this question is that he clearly does not own a car at present in the UK so would not have a log book showing two years ownership, also does he have work permit and the right visas for this type of import.

Hope you dont think i am trying to be a know all but just going on my own experience thus far.

Mike.

That negativity comes from a great deal of collective experience. If you can do it, without grief, good for you. Do let us know how it all went. Good luck.

The other problem that you have with self imported cars is spare parts and repairs.

A nightmare.

Best bet it go for a Toyota, Honda, Mitsu. They are quite well made, there are many garages that can repair and fix them.

You import a Rover or another UK car and the maintainance is just a pain....

I would really like to import a Morgan.

Regards.

Wow

Mike.

I see that on 31st August this year you started a thread saying you were going to import a car and asked for advice / comments.

On both threads the consensus was 'Don't do it' as the problems and costs are far too high. I posted a link on both threads giving the import tariffs (roughly the price of the car - as estimated by Thai Customs)

If you succedd in getting your car in - ten weeks from UK in a container?? - please inform the board of your experiences around the turn of the year.

Until then I, for one, will continue to advise people to buy locally.