Mardi Gras - When?

kash

Please excuse me, but who cares?

As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with Thailand, and I barely notice when they "celebrate" it in the Night Bazaar. It seemed to come from nowhere a few years ago. Whose idea was it anyway? :o

I think it was promoted / organised by the Chiangmai Tourism Promotion Board and I believe they plan to make it into a long term project. :D

As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with Thailand, and I barely notice when they "celebrate" it in the Night Bazaar. It seemed to come from nowhere a few years ago. Whose idea was it anyway? :o

Careful UG or people will think you have a dislike of alternative culture and choice.

I think the parade is scheduled for next Feb and will be an annual event. While it may not be the choice of some it certainly reflects the tastes and style of a sizable population and imho should be encouraged as part of the texture of Chiang Mai.

CB

Feb. 5, 2008.

cheers for that. I wll look forward to it.

last year it was on about the 10th dec. I had a ball.

Had a good band play up to about midnight on the temporary stage they set up outside Burger King one night,

actually there was about 3 stages set up along Changklan rd so it was quite busy. So very noticable, if you cared to have a look. Plenty of food stalls set up and a few beer outlets supplying the crowds. It was a good atmosphere.

I guess it adds flavour to the social calendar in Chiang Mai and having it down the nightmarket makes sense to me.

Whats it got to do with Thailand? well if Thais dont like food, drinks and music and having a good time together- Nothing! :o

post-15912-1198122898_thumb.jpg

post-15912-1198122992_thumb.jpg

post-15912-1198123022_thumb.jpg

post-15912-1198123049_thumb.jpg

post-15912-1198123196_thumb.jpg

Careful UG or people will think you have a dislike of alternative culture and choice.

imho should be encouraged as part of the texture of Chiang Mai.

My abject apologies LoiCrow Boy, in truth I had no idea of what it is. I had just noticed a bunch of signs in the Night Bazzar at the same time every year on LoiKroh Road, but one of my staff just told me that it is a "ladyboy holiday".

Enjoy - live and let live! :D

Feb. 5, 2008.

Glad to see that Mardi Gras will actually be celebrated on Fat Tuesday this year. I had to laugh when Chiang Mai held Mardi Gras in Dec. last year. It's like deciding to Celebrate Christmas in October.

Jesus may have been born in October. He died aged 33 and 6 months in april. But that is just a theory. Who knows for sure.

Feb. 5, 2008.

Glad to see that Mardi Gras will actually be celebrated on Fat Tuesday this year. I had to laugh when Chiang Mai held Mardi Gras in Dec. last year. It's like deciding to Celebrate Christmas in October.

Jesus may have been born in October. He died aged 33 and 6 months in april. But that is just a theory. Who knows for sure?

His Dad. :o

Feb. 5, 2008.

Jesus may have been born in October. He died aged 33 and 6 months in april. But that is just a theory. Who knows for sure.

OK, maybe I should have said it's like celebrating Easter in August.

Feb. 5, 2008.

Jesus may have been born in October. He died aged 33 and 6 months in april. But that is just a theory. Who knows for sure?

His Dad. :o

buddychrist.jpg

• 1 month later...
Feb. 5, 2008.

anyone know if its still on?

Theres no signage up around the night bazaar advertising the fact, as far as I know, and no other signs (staging, food stalls) that it will be on.

Unless, it is at another location.

Feb. 5, 2008.

anyone know if its still on?

Theres no signage up around the night bazaar advertising the fact, as far as I know, and no other signs (staging, food stalls) that it will be on.

Unless, it is at another location.

There is nothing in the Night Bazaar to suggest a Mardi Gras tomorrow. Usually they would have started building stages. No signs anywhere and no mention in the tourist mags - nothing in citylife. So, I'll stick my neck out and say it ain't happening soon, and certainly not tomorrow in the Night bazaar, unless they moved it.

Sounds like a lot of things aren't happening - the international festival is being moved to the 7-9th March and the location is moving to the Lanna Polytechnic. I think that is next to Lanna2 Hospital on superhighway.

Anyone know if Chinese new year is taking place behind the market as usual?

This is very confusing! You criticize someone's post because you say it has nothing to do with Thailand, yet there are hundreds of threads at TV that have nothing to do with Thailand, On top of that, you admit that it is "celebrated" at the Night Bazaar, which I assume is the one in Chiang Mai. Hmmm, seems the last time I looked in an atlas, Chiang Mai was still in THAILAND.

C'mon...give us a break and don't be so critical about the things that aren't of interest to you in particular. I think introducing Thai to other cultures is a good idea and long overdue.

You criticize someone's post because you say it has nothing to do with Thailand, yet there are hundreds of threads at TV that have nothing to do with Thailand, On top of that, you admit that it is "celebrated" at the Night Bazaar, which I assume is the one in Chiang Mai. Hmmm, seems the last time I looked in an atlas, Chiang Mai was still in THAILAND.

C'mon...give us a break and don't be so critical about the things that aren't of interest to you in particular. I think introducing Thai to other cultures is a good idea and long overdue.

Great post....I'm gratified to know that you also share the same view.......

This is very confusing! You criticize someone's post because you say it has nothing to do with Thailand, yet there are hundreds of threads at TV that have nothing to do with Thailand, On top of that, you admit that it is "celebrated" at the Night Bazaar, which I assume is the one in Chiang Mai. Hmmm, seems the last time I looked in an atlas, Chiang Mai was still in THAILAND.

I just think that it is silly to suddenly start celebrating it in Thailand, because as far as I can tell, as it has nothing to do with Thailand or the Thai culture and there are no immigrants who have introduced it here. Maybe Thailand should start having fireworks every Fourth of July?

It seemed to just pop up a few years ago and now it seems to be gone - despite the wise council of you and Maejo Man. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think it's some kind of scheme to either make all holidays universal. What does a festival associated with the Christiant Lent have to do with Thailand anyway? Or Christmas for that matter.

I'm not sure if it's all globalisation driven or finding reasons to drive retail sales. Whatever it is it doesn't feel right.

Ah, come on you guys....you know what it is really all about.

Nothing really wrong with it, as far as I'm concerned......but it is simply all about driving retail sales.

Valentine's Day? Is it about love? No, it's about Hershey and Cadbury's and online florists bumping their yearly growth to 8.976435 percent.

Mardi Gras/Carnaval is a great celebration- in Ipanema, or Cozumel, or myriad Caribbean countries. Here? Sure, why not, whatever..... :D

I DO like the way Thai people enjoy and adopt these celebrations- hey, any excuse for a party! Sanook mak mak :o

"[Ah, come on you guys....you know what it is really all about.

Nothing really wrong with it, as far as I'm concerned......but it is simply all about driving retail sales.

Valentine's Day? Is it about love? No, it's about Hershey and Cadbury's and online florists bumping their yearly growth to 8.976435 percent.

Mardi Gras/Carnaval is a great celebration- in Ipanema, or Cozumel, or myriad Caribbean countries. Here? Sure, why not, whatever..... :D

I DO like the way Thai people enjoy and adopt these celebrations- hey, any excuse for a party! Sanook mak mak :o ]"

I agree with you mcgriffith. Christmas 2007 in Thailand was one of the best and most fun I have had in many years. The Thais made it fun, and dinner at Bakeand' Bite was superb as well.