Three Accidents In Phuket - One Dead

george

S'porean drowned, another missing, a third hospitalised after Phuket accident

SINGAPORE: -- A Singaporean has drowned, another is missing and a third is in hospital, after a seaside accident at a Phuket beach resort.

It happened on Monday at Karon beach in the southern part of the Thai island.

25-year-old Muhayiddin Iyon, who drowned, had gone to Phuket with two friends but ran into difficulty in the sea.

It's not clear if he had been on a jetski or if he had been swimming.

Swimming in the sea is forbidden during the rainy season when undercurrents can be strong.

A friend, identified by the Phuket Gazette as 27-year-old Chris Ng, tried to help Muhayiddin Iyon but was swept away by large waves.

The other friend, 28-year-old Agus Tan, was rescued but he had swallowed a lot of water and was hospitalised.

Mr Tan has been discharged from hospital but rescue divers are still searching for Mr Ng.

-- CNA 2004-09-01

Swimming in the sea is forbidden during the rainy season when undercurrents can be strong.

Had this been pointed out to the tourists who rented the boat?

The words Criminal Negligence come to mind.

YES! CAN'T AGREE MORE WITH YOU, DaiMai!

Knives should be marked with warnings - CAN KILL IF PENETRATED INTO BODY!!

On each door - YOU MIGHT LOSE YOUR FINGERS!!

On each cup - BEWARE OF HOT CONTENTS!!

On a piece of beancurd - MIGHT CAUSE CHOKING IF SWALLOWED TOO FAST!!

If one should not be able to leave his house for work with his eyes closed and listening to a walkman and arrive at his office safely, it is the government's fault!

Anyway, I suppose this is off-topic! As I couldn't find the word "boat" in the original post. The closest I can find is

It's not clear if he had been on a jetski or if he had been swimming.

I was at Karon beach on Monday - the g/f chasing crabs for "som tam boo", and me reading a book. The tide was a long way out and the waves were enormous. At about 5 pm I saw one guy surfing - he was right in the big waves and his body was going up and down about 10 feet. Looked f*cking dangerous to me, so I kept an eye on him, but it was clear he was enjoying himself and must've been a good swimmer. He did manage to "catch" one big wave and came in on it, all the way to his g/f waiting in the shallows.

I went in to help get crabs, but when I felt the sand being sucked away from my feet, I went back onto dry land. Too scarey for me!

Its the same when Asian people go to Australia......their always getting into trouble in the surf becasue they dont understand it.....and often cant swim to save themselves. Does not surprise me that Singaporeans have drowned. Happens more in Aust than here in thailand.

• 4 years later...

i was just doing a search for archives for stories on drowning. I noticed a discrepancy in this article that you mentioned. You had the fact reversed. It was Muhammad Muhayiddin who saved Chris Ng. Chris Ng's body was not found till 3 days later. Good to have facts double-checked before you post them online/published.

• 3 weeks later...

On holiday last summer, my wife, kids and I were standing on a peaceful beach, the waves not particularly rough. We went for a drive and came back to the spot half an hour later to find a big commotion - two young Thai kids had been swept out to sea from the beach. Only one was saved. At our resort the staff said that something like this happens to a tourist (Thai or foreign) every year.

There were no signs on the beach, which has restaurants and is obviously set up as a tourist spot. No warnings - nothing in any language. Criminal. So if there wre no signs to warn the tourists in Phuket, I for one would not be at all surprised.

i was just doing a search for archives for stories on drowning. I noticed a discrepancy in this article that you mentioned. You had the fact reversed. It was Muhammad Muhayiddin who saved Chris Ng. Chris Ng's body was not found till 3 days later. Good to have facts double-checked before you post them online/published.

these reports/news posted by George originate from either newspapers or news-agencies. they are not the product of ThaiVisa or George himself.

you don't have any other problems in your life, don't you ? :o

better to close this topic now, me thinks, and let those unlucky guys rest in peace

On holiday last summer, my wife, kids and I were standing on a peaceful beach, the waves not particularly rough. We went for a drive and came back to the spot half an hour later to find a big commotion - two young Thai kids had been swept out to sea from the beach. Only one was saved. At our resort the staff said that something like this happens to a tourist (Thai or foreign) every year.

There were no signs on the beach, which has restaurants and is obviously set up as a tourist spot. No warnings - nothing in any language. Criminal. So if there wre no signs to warn the tourists in Phuket, I for one would not be at all surprised.

yeah... i totally agree. the flags werent put up when i was there during a monsoon season too.

these reports/news posted by George originate from either newspapers or news-agencies. they are not the product of ThaiVisa or George himself.

you don't have any other problems in your life, don't you ? :D

better to close this topic now, me thinks, and let those unlucky guys rest in peace

LOL! sensitive topic i see.. :o easy now... not quoting ThaiVisa or George Clooney or whomever.. :D

problems? everyone bound to face... :D

Ok.. consider topic closed *curtains drawn*

you don't have any other problems in your life, don't you ? :D

LOL! :o easy now... not quoting ThaiVisa or George Clooney or whomever.. :D

problems? everyone bound to face... like the recession now :D

Ok.. consider topic closed *curtains drawn*

Edited by Anyavee17

The last time i was on karon beach the red flags were up, but to be honest you would have to be a lunatic to even consider going in the water. It's great to watch the high waves from a distance, but very dangerous to go in there.

What about everyones responsibility to look after themselves instead of blaming other people.

We will be writing 'hot liquid' on coffee cups next!

Cheers, Rick