How Long Can I Reside On A Voa After Non-imm O Expires

Hi there. In November my non-immigrant O visa ran out and I therefore had to do a border run, which I did on Nov. 27th. So that's one VOA stamp in my passport. I have to leave the country again on Dec. 27th. So, i plan on doing another poipet border run. This will take me to 2 VOA stamps and I will then have to exit again on Jan 26th. My question is, can I do another border run in January, which if possible will be my 3rd VOA stamp. I plan to go home at the end of February, so this 3rd VOA would take me right up until this time. Heard conflicting info about VOAs - some people are telling me it's a max of 60 days, while others say 90 and was wondering if coming off of a non-immigrant O visa in Nov. had any bearing on things. Thanks for any info.

Visa on arrival (VOA) is a 15 day visa sold to people on arrival of selected nationality (usually places where obtaining a Thai tourist visa would be difficult). It is not the 30 day visa exempt stamp that most people are familiar with and that is limited to 90 days in a six month period.

Hi there. In November my non-immigrant O visa ran out and I therefore had to do a border run, which I did on Nov. 27th. So that's one VOA stamp in my passport. I have to leave the country again on Dec. 27th. So, i plan on doing another poipet border run. This will take me to 2 VOA stamps and I will then have to exit again on Jan 26th. My question is, can I do another border run in January, which if possible will be my 3rd VOA stamp. I plan to go home at the end of February, so this 3rd VOA would take me right up until this time. Heard conflicting info about VOAs - some people are telling me it's a max of 60 days, while others say 90 and was wondering if coming off of a non-immigrant O visa in Nov. had any bearing on things. Thanks for any info.

Did you need an air ticket to obtain these 30 day stamps ? I'm in the same position next month

Edited by gharknes

well I just learned that the 200baht you pay in cambodia is for a bus ticket which you never get but it represents a return trip to cambodia, not sure about the 10,000bahy you're talking about, never heard of that one, perhaps you could explain

I asked the op a specific question about air ticket, I've lived here for almost 3 years on Type 0 ME visas the last one expired in Octobber, but i now wish to stay a little bit longer becaue it suits me to do so, so I need to do 2 or 3 30 day border runs, when I did these before I just did a simple border run out and in every 30 days but this was nearly 4 years ago.

I asked the op a specific question about air ticket, I've lived here for almost 3 years on Type 0 ME visas the last one expired in Octobber, but i now wish to stay a little bit longer becaue it suits me to do so, so I need to do 2 or 3 30 day border runs, when I did these before I just did a simple border run out and in every 30 days but this was nearly 4 years ago.

You are supposed to have an onward or return air ticket dated within the 30 days you are stamped in for when entering on a visa exemption stamp. I personally have never been asked to show it but apparently it is being asked for at land border crossing points (e.g. Aranyaprathet/Poipet) but not at the airports. There are reports that you can get away with a coach or train ticket out of country but I have no direct experience of this.

I also went through a period of 30 day border runs and never had an onward/return ticket but that was back '02 to '04 well before last October's revamp of the rules.

Thanks for the input. Just did my 2nd border run without any issues. I confirmed with the immigration officer that I could indeed get another stamp for 30 days after the current one expires end of Jan. Going back through my two passports, I have been to PoiPet a total of 22 times and never (not even recently) have been asked to provide proof of travel arrangements to exit the country before the stamp expires, nor have I been asked to provide any proof of money. So these 30 days stamps aren't called Visa On Arrival? I think a lot of people are confused about this.

You should point out, from information in first post, that perhaps not all your border visits have been without a visa (or was the non immigrant O visa just a single entry?). If you are just making a new visa entry transportation out would not be a normal question. It is when you use the visa exempt entry that it is frequently checked - if that has not happened to you it may be because of the high season for tourists (to keep the queues moving) as well as your good looks/luck.