Edge Rolled Out In Bangkok By Dtac

stumonster

according to an article in todays database (bkk post) DTAC has rolled out EDGE the enhanced version of GPRS.

It is listing prices as 1200baht for unlimited access or 999baht for existing users.

If AIS does not get its poopoo into a pile quickly I might have to change providers, but if it does go into competition prices might be very realistic.

As far as I have read for telecos to upgrade their GPRS network to handle EDGE is just a software upgrade , no new hardware needed ( except for the user who requires an EDGE enabled phone)

If you are runing pocketskype on your PDA connected via bluetooth to your EDGE enabled mobile phone and paying 1k baht per month - I wonder if the telecos will be pissed at you?

Does the article describe the coverage area? AIS claims to have rolled out EDGE service in Bangkok for quite some time, but it is only a few small areas of Silom and Sukh., with no apparent plans to expand city wide.

Either those software licenses must be really expensive, or maybe there are other infrastructure upgrades necessary to support the extra EDGE traffic loads? The inaction of AIS leads me to think there is not much of a business model to support the costs outside the areas infested w/ executive and travellers...

Mobile operator DTAC has completed the roll out of its EDGE network upgrade over the majority of bangkok

However you wish to interpret that.

and in another part of the artice it seems to imply it is the only operator with EDGE, and AIS and Orange only have GPRS coverage.

the dtac website does not inspire any confidence...last news update was in may and the coverage links don't work.

I think AIS was meant to launch its EDGE service in the current quarter (the existing limited coverage was pretty much just a pilot). However, there hasn't been much news on this and I recently heard a rumour that it may still be quite some time off (and that it would likely be just as unreliable as their current GPRS service).

Just found an old announcement from October 2003 which suggests that AIS's EDGE service will be confined to 'strategic cities such as Chiangmai and Phuket'.

Urgh...and another one from April this year announcing that Siemens got the deal (the previous announcement was for Nokia), so there's been a change of supplier. It says

Under the terms of the order, Siemens mobile will first equip the AIS mobile communication network in the cities of Chonburi, Pattaya, Nakornratchasrima and Khon Kaen with EDGE technology.

Double urgh...here's a third announcement, this time that Ericsson got the contract to expand EDGE in Bangkok...dated June 2004. I guess it will be a while yet !