Expat Health Insurance

canadiangirl

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, from the replies here can i take it that no-one has claimed on Thai Visa Insurance yet?

I think the price they offer looks great: but my wife insists in Thailand you have to have the insurance rep on your side or you are in no-man's land... :o

So, from the replies here can i take it that no-one has claimed on Thai Visa Insurance yet?

I think the price they offer looks great: but my wife insists in Thailand you have to have the insurance rep on your side or you are in no-man's land... :o

Sorry but that is not quite true. The insurance ‘rep’ works for the insurance company and therefore will have their interests at heart.

Again, may we say go via a reputable Broker – they will help you if the insurance company is in the wrong.

Thai Visa Medical Plans ‘claims’ – yes clients have claimed and all are happy.

• 3 weeks later...
In addition to premiums and likelihood of paying off, one of the considerations in choosing health insurance is how long you can retain it. I have read that if you insure with BUPA before age sixty, they guarantee your right to renew for the rest of your life. Has anyone here got this coverage? I am not sure what it means if there is not also a restriction on the increase in premiums.

We may resettle in Thailand after I retire and I am thinking of buying insurance from BUPA while still here in the US and under sixty, so that I can be sure to be able to renew later in Thailand. Anyone have any advice on this strategy?

In terms of very high claims, BUPA assures me that they won't incease the premium by more than 25% per year (related to claims). That's respectable - others don't have that limit. With or without claims, though, the premium will automatically increases by 10% per year after age 65. Also, there are across the board rate increases for all insureds. But, BUPA will refund 10% of your premium by check if you haven't had any claims during the previous year.

If you are talking about buying from BUPA in the States and then renewing with BUPA Thailand - No! No! No! You can't do that. But, if you know a way to buy from BUPA Thailand while in the States, it might be a good idea to do so. That's because BUPA has been telling me that they are dropping the maxium age for lifetime renewal down to age 56. They told me me that 7 months ago, though, and still haven't done it.

BUPA is the worst insurance I've ever had! I have a 17 month old and a 4 month old and their stupid policy won't even cover their immunization shots. All they will cover is the OPD maximum.

I have since switched over to TieCare, and they cover everything. The premium is a bit more, but it's worth it when I don't have to shell out 10,000Baht every other month for shots. My parents are with TieCare and they both agree that TieCare saved my dad's life. Two years ago, he has to have major major major heart surgery and the docs at Bumrungrad gave him less than 5% to live. My mother called TieCare to make sure they would cover the operation. Not only did they cover the operation 100%, the rep even had a medical evacuation plane ready for Dad should Mom decide he would be better off getting treatment in the USA. She decided to have the surgery in Thailand because of the urgency, and after 12 days in CICU and another 33 days in a private room, the bill was about 1.4 million baht. TieCare paid for everything. They also have a great prescription coverage. The rep is reachable 24/7!!

They also have other types of insurance, so if I were you I'l check out their website www.tiecare.com

I find it very odd that Tiecare will pay out 1.5 million for a heart operaton without thinking about it, but wont spare any more to ensure that they have a proffesional website :o

BUPA is the worst insurance I've ever had! I have a 17 month old and a 4 month old and their stupid policy won't even cover their immunization shots. All they will cover is the OPD maximum.

I have since switched over to TieCare, and they cover everything. The premium is a bit more, but it's worth it when I don't have to shell out 10,000Baht every other month for shots. My parents are with TieCare and they both agree that TieCare saved my dad's life. Two years ago, he has to have major major major heart surgery and the docs at Bumrungrad gave him less than 5% to live. My mother called TieCare to make sure they would cover the operation. Not only did they cover the operation 100%, the rep even had a medical evacuation plane ready for Dad should Mom decide he would be better off getting treatment in the USA. She decided to have the surgery in Thailand because of the urgency, and after 12 days in CICU and another 33 days in a private room, the bill was about 1.4 million baht. TieCare paid for everything. They also have a great prescription coverage. The rep is reachable 24/7!!

They also have other types of insurance, so if I were you I'l check out their website www.tiecare.com

I find it very odd that Tiecare will pay out 1.5 million for a heart operaton without thinking about it, but wont spare any more to ensure that they have a proffesional website :o

Website ain't cheap. Maybe 1000 dollars or so... :D

• 1 month later...

As I will be spending the year (2009) in LOS I too am looking for a good insurer at a reasonable price. Being over 50 now I don't consider self insurance as an option. Where that idea fails is if you have a major trauma event in the first year or 2! Major surgery costs a lot where ever you are.

And it would be foolish for anyone not to look at TVI, as long as the exclusion list is sensible. Some Thai companies tend to exclude almost everything, as has been mentioned back a page or 2!

And the point made about having a English/Thai card could just save your life!

Hi ThailandKathy, With a $500 annual deductible and Gold costing nearly US$7000 a year I think I will pass on that offer from Global Benefits Group! Ouch!

But after having a read of the exclusions list re: TVI medical coverage, lets just say I will continue looking for the right cover!

Edited by BSJ

Hi ThailandKathy, With a $500 annual deductible and Gold costing nearly US$7000 a year I think I will pass on that offer from Global Benefits Group! Ouch!

But after having a read of the exclusions list re: TVI medical coverage, lets just say I will continue looking for the right cover!

No way! My policy is for my two children and me and I pay a heck of a lot less than that, and I have a $100 deductable. I also got their Worldwide coverage, so that I can opt to use medical services in the USA and Canada without it having to be an emergency. I think you need to give them a call again. Here's the number 080-246-0440. Comparitively (again, read the fine prints), they were 10% cheaper than the others. I don't know about you, but I think it is so important to have the right coverage from the start b/c when time comes and you need to implement it, you need to be sure that the policy will actually pay. It's harder to get coverage after the fact. That's only my opinion, of course. Good luck with your search. :-)

I called the number but get a message its unavailable

Hi ThailandKathy, I pulled that info from their web site. I will call them to ask, they can fax me a quote as soon as I clarify the number. Thanks

Hi JimSiam, from Australia I dial 0011 for International, then + 66 which is country code, then area codes ie for Bangkok + 2 or for Chiang Mai + 53 or for Hat Yai + 74, but the highest # is for Ratchaburi + 76! Maybe ThailandKathy can tell us which country the number she was quoting is in? 080-246-0440

In the meantime I will try and find a link on the web site.

Edited by BSJ

Hi folks, no luck but the web site did give me the following

Chiangmai,THAILAND

Address: RimPing Condo #1105;

Attention: Stephen Boush;

201/48 Charoenrat Rd; Tumbol Watket,

Muang District; Chiangmai, 50000 Thailand

Hi ThailandKathy, I pulled that info from their web site. I will call them to ask, they can fax me a quote as soon as I clarify the number. Thanks

Hi JimSiam, from Australia I dial 0011 for International, then + 66 which is country code, then area codes ie for Bangkok + 2 or for Chiang Mai + 53 or for Hat Yai + 74, but the highest # is for Ratchaburi + 76! Maybe ThailandKathy can tell us which country the number she was quoting is in? 080-246-0440

In the meantime I will try and find a link on the web site.

08 is a mobile number in thailand

Has anyone got any experiences with ING please, positive or otherwise.

Any insight into the " Thailand " side of things also .

I appreciate they are an international company dealing in life insurance among other related ares, but wonder how it effects the locality here.

Thank you

marshbags :o

Thanks Jim, never thought of that!

Hi marshbags, I have money invested with ING Direct (Aust) and funnily enough I was on their web site, saw the insurance link and clicked through. I looked at their Accident Cover Plus. It was the only cover that came close to what I wanted but not close enough for me to sign-up! I need cover for non-accident medical emergencies too! But if your after extra cover for death or injury it maybe OK.

Maybe ING offer other plans in LOS, so I will search the web for that.

For those of you who purchase your own expat medical insurance in Thailand (not provided by employer), who do you use?

I was looking at BUPA (rather expensive) and a few other ones -- do you have any recommendations? I'm looking specifically for expat insurance, *not* travel insurance (expat insurance, in my understanding, is when you've been away from home for long enough not to be covered by the medical plan of your home country)

Thanks for any information!

We are with PPP International..I am 62 and my wife is 53. It covers worldwide except USA and Canada..not out patient treatment...cost 3600GPB this year. Pretty expensive but we broke even last year!!

For those of you who purchase your own expat medical insurance in Thailand (not provided by employer), who do you use?

I was looking at BUPA (rather expensive) and a few other ones -- do you have any recommendations? I'm looking specifically for expat insurance, *not* travel insurance (expat insurance, in my understanding, is when you've been away from home for long enough not to be covered by the medical plan of your home country)

We are with PPP International..I am 62 and my wife is 53. It covers worldwide except USA and Canada..not out patient treatment...cost 3600GPB this year. Pretty expensive but we broke even last year!!

PPP is a good ‘International’ company but Thai Visa insurance can typically offer 10 to 15% off those premiums for a similar coverage.

Hi marshbags, I have money invested with ING Direct (Aust) and funnily enough I was on their web site, saw the insurance link and clicked through. I looked at their Accident Cover Plus. It was the only cover that came close to what I wanted but not close enough for me to sign-up! I need cover for non-accident medical emergencies too! But if your after extra cover for death or injury it maybe OK.

Thanks to you for responding.

I talked further with my ins. agent and asked specifically about safety / personal accident (advice given, i take to include emergency cover for bothe medical and accident ) and i,ve asked him to try and get me some English translatiion as what he gave me is in Thai.

I also went on the website and looked at the various insurance links, but sadly the part i wanted to read up on ( PPO benefits ) keeps coming up as " site not ready" yet. ???

I,ll now wait and see what the agent comes back with.

The total cost annually for two adults and a teenager works out at just under 60,000 baht for the three of us.

We also get life insurance cover included in this, so for me it seems a very good deal.

Should i die, then my daughters, insurance is paid for by ING so i don,t have to worry about it running out due to non payment.

Again i will check everything out when the English version comes back.

Appreciate your imput on this and everyone elses who have responded.

marshbags :o:D

My advice to everyone for what it,s worth is get adequate medical cover as your main objective, obviously who with is a matter of preference, relating to your needs.

I asked around and was attracted to ING.

Edited by marshbags

I talked further with my ins. agent and asked specifically about safety / personal accident (advice given, i take to include emergency cover for bothe medical and accident ) and i,ve asked him to try and get me some English translatiion as what he gave me is in Thai.

I also went on the website and looked at the various insurance links, but sadly the part i wanted to read up on ( PPO benefits ) keeps coming up as " site not ready" yet. ???

The total cost annually for two adults and a teenager works out at just under 60,000 baht for the three of us.

We also get life insurance cover included in this, so for me it seems a very good deal.

Should i die, then my daughters, insurance is paid for by ING so i don,t have to worry about it running out due to non payment.

My advice to everyone for what it,s worth is get adequate medical cover as your main objective, obviously who with is a matter of preference, relating to your needs.

sounds interesting. We're with william russel out of the UK. Me, daugther and wife are about 120,000 a year, through i suspect that would drop to about 70-80K as my wife has cover to cover materity and the first 28 days of the newborn childs life. Will check out ING next year after bubs is born, but for the time being, it is starting to cover our costs quite nicely as the pre-birth checkups start racking up!!

A word of caution, please be careful and be sure you understand the benefits.

ING is a 'Life' company and so cannot sell stand alone medical insurance – only the general insurance companies with the correct license can. The 'Life' companies can 'get around' this by bundling Life and Medical cover together. This may sound a good idea but in fact you would get better benefits if taken separately – Life cover in Thailand is very expensive

Your advice 'to get adequate medical cover, is 100% correct, however if you are looking to use private international hospitals then this cover is not enough – it is however most suitable for the Government hospitals.

Please note, PA (Personal Accident) cover is just that accident only – it is not medical insurance.

• 1 month later...

BUPA is horrible. I had BUPA PLatinum for 3 years, then had an accident. The hospital needed to do a CAT scan on my head because I had blood pooling behind my eyes. Bumrungrad faxed all of the required paperwork to BUPA and they said NO!!! I would have to wait until the next day while they review it, but I could pay on my own and possibly be reimbursed. It eventually took them 3 days and non-stop phones calls from myself all the way up to the Director of BUPA before it was approved!

BUPA contacted me at a later date and said that they recognized there was a problem in their approval system and it was a problem specific to Thailand. No one wants to make the decision as they will be held responsible if it is incorrect, so they wait to get management approval. Management would turn off their phones after hours and on lunch. Subordinates were hesitant to contact their superiors, hence the problem. BUPA said that they were implementing new policy and procedure to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

Needless to say I have switched to Goodhealth and have had absolutely no hassles. I wasn't willing to wait for the next time.

Aloha

BUPA is horrible. I had BUPA PLatinum for 3 years, then had an accident. The hospital needed to do a CAT scan on my head because I had blood pooling behind my eyes. Bumrungrad faxed all of the required paperwork to BUPA and they said NO!!! I would have to wait until the next day while they review it, but I could pay on my own and possibly be reimbursed. It eventually took them 3 days and non-stop phones calls from myself all the way up to the Director of BUPA before it was approved!

BUPA contacted me at a later date and said that they recognized there was a problem in their approval system and it was a problem specific to Thailand. No one wants to make the decision as they will be held responsible if it is incorrect, so they wait to get management approval. Management would turn off their phones after hours and on lunch. Subordinates were hesitant to contact their superiors, hence the problem. BUPA said that they were implementing new policy and procedure to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

Needless to say I have switched to Goodhealth and have had absolutely no hassles. I wasn't willing to wait for the next time.

Aloha

This is a good example of what we have been saying – please choose a good Company Brokerage (not an individual Broker or a Agent) – and they will be able to help in these 'awkward' situations.

Hi,

The school whee I work suggested I try the following Company for Health Insurance. I did and it was extremely competitive>>>>>>>>

Thai Health Insurance

Bangkok

or check out their site >>>

worth a go :-)

After using Thai health Insurance for several years, my colleagues and myself were shocked to learn that they had decided to increase their yearly premium by 25%. The reason? Too many of us actually making use of the insurance :D ourageous and rediculous methinks. Needless to say we won't be renewing or at least I won't be renewing with them. And not only this, they just released confidential information related to surgery I once had (I think by mistake) to each and every collaegue of mine at my place of work. Very unprofessional. :o

Hi,

The school whee I work suggested I try the following Company for Health Insurance. I did and it was extremely competitive>>>>>>>>

Thai Health Insurance

Bangkok

or check out their site >>>

worth a go :-)

After using Thai health Insurance for several years, my colleagues and myself were shocked to learn that they had decided to increase their yearly premium by 25%. The reason? Too many of us actually making use of the insurance :D ourageous and rediculous methinks. Needless to say we won't be renewing or at least I won't be renewing with them. And not only this, they just released confidential information related to surgery I once had (I think by mistake) to each and every collaegue of mine at my place of work. Very unprofessional. :o

This is an interesting post so, on behalf of a Thai Visa member, I made a few inquiries.

First I have to say I am not privy to the premium increase except to say all premiums (in all companies) have increased a lot this year due to the Hospital Group (who look after all the hospitals in Thailand) withdrawing the 10% rebate given to Insurance Companies plus the 15% medical inflation – add it up for yourself !

One point I was not happy about was your personal information being sent to everyone as that is a ‘no-no’. For your information I found out it was not Thai Health who sent the information to everyone but your own employer ! Whoever is in charge of your group policy was unfortunately extremely irresponsible and distributed your private details to all – it is they who you should complain strongly to not Thai Health !!

It happened. It was unfortunate and I was very upset. There is nothing I can do about it. Now, I don't believe it was a deliberate attempt from THI or whoever was responsible to upset me. It was what I call "human error" :o

So, as far as I am concerned: case closed. :D

As for your input on insurance companies increasing their premiums. To be honest, I wrote my previous post while I was, I admit, still in an angry mood. Frankly, I know very little about this stuff so, you're probably right what you're saying...

Over & Out :D

Thinking it was a joke I had to do a double take, but no, it was true.

It just goes to show you can sell anything.

Thaivisa Insurance actually sell GOLF INSURANCE!

GOLF INSURANCE

Golf is, for sure, an expensive sport and sometimes, believe it or not, can be a dangerous sport. Golf insurance is not a new product but can offer you protection against loss and damages that can happen both on and off the golf course.

1. For yourself, from damages inflicted by other parties ranging from death, loss of organs to medical expenses.

2. For the third party, from damages caused by you ranging from loss of life, medical expense and lawsuits.

3. For your equipment, in case of damage and theft. You will also receive a bonus should you get a hole-in-one.

On a more serious note.....there's something which would benefit everyone seeking insurance and which needs a bit of expertise.....perhaps we could end up with a comprehensive, detailed, and really useful list of items.......

What questions should I ask a prospective insurer?

What do I need to know?

cheers John

Edited by sleepyjohn

• 2 months later...
It is a french insurance company with a local brokerage company, it was insured through Hong Kong but see they have just changed insurer.

PM me if you want the guys number and name to contact.

I am referring to your message regarding Health Insurance provided by a french company based in HK.

I live in BKK and I would like to apply for a good international health insurance, I am French and it would be a better option to mix the service both inter and back home,

I would appreciate of you could you send me the contact details of that company and a name if you know anyone there,

Thank you

It is a french insurance company with a local brokerage company, it was insured through Hong Kong but see they have just changed insurer.

PM me if you want the guys number and name to contact.

I am referring to your message regarding Health Insurance provided by a french company based in HK.

I live in BKK and I would like to apply for a good international health insurance, I am French and it would be a better option to mix the service both inter and back home,

I would appreciate of you could you send me the contact details of that company and a name if you know anyone there,

Thank you

A simpler way is to contact Thai Visa Insurance and we can send you the whole brochure to read !

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form