Expat Health Insurance

canadiangirl

Bendejo...I use a company that pays the hospital direct, very easy to use, no hassles and I have had 3 claims with them, each around 100k.

Now I think they are expensive, but not sure compared to other comapnies and I would like to start looking around for other quotes also, only re the cost factor as the service from this company is very good.

I am a family of 4 and costs 100k for the year, no outpatients or dental, but covered anywhere and fully for pretty much everything else.

And that company is ?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to premiums and likelihood of paying off, one of the considerations in choosing health insurance is how long you can retain it. I have read that if you insure with BUPA before age sixty, they guarantee your right to renew for the rest of your life. Has anyone here got this coverage? I am not sure what it means if there is not also a restriction on the increase in premiums.

We may resettle in Thailand after I retire and I am thinking of buying insurance from BUPA while still here in the US and under sixty, so that I can be sure to be able to renew later in Thailand. Anyone have any advice on this strategy?

I have a expat UK friend who is 67 years old. Because he took on bupa medical insurance ( in thailand) prior to reaching 60 they are still giving him policies.He has recently had a couple of operations for a growth removal which the insurance covered. The hospital deals direct with the insurance company. You only pay for what amount of the bill the insurance will not cover. From memory he said his policy increases every year. On 1,000,000 I think he pays 46,000.

I have also checked with bupa thailand. They have advised me that if I jion them before 60 they will continue to cover me after 60 until I kick the bucket.

I would check if your doing bupa international before your 60 if this can then be counted for bupa thailand after your 60. i dont know, but they might not count this as being in bupa thailand. So worth asking I would think.

i second telfmikes suggestion, thai prakan chewit, you might also consider siam commercial bank as well.

best to take a thia friend if you dont speak thai, and also to explain the extras/options.

i am 47 and thai prakan costs me about 22,000 baht per year, thats with all the options, eg in/out patient etc. certainly beats some of the prices being quoted elsewhere.

I was intrigued by SCB Insurance surfed their website - I was shocked to find that they do not take individuals with high blood pressure????

http://www.scb.co.th/html/eng/retail_hhinsur_health.shtml

In regards to TV Insurance, I am a little concerned that it only goes to 65. Has anyone experienced a problem at that point?

Acmike

Sorry, that's not quite true. Although at 65 one has to 'leave' the TV medical plans, the individual can then carry on seamlessly with the same insurance company - therefore no problem and the best of both worlds for low cost insurance !

Question... Here in the USA just after your 40th birthday doctors pretty much prescribe cholesterol and blood pressure medication to EVERYONE based solely on testing and the desire to reduce these as a preventive measure ... (That is my case)... What would Thai Insurers consider as "Pre-Existing" in this case? What would Thai Visa Insurance not cover in my case? If say 5 years after having TV Insurance I had a stroke would they say it was a pre-existing condition based on my history of taking medication to lower cholesterol and blood pressure?...

Any insurance company - and it’s underwriters - are dependant on it’s panel of Doctors to say what is “pre-existing”.

In August I will be in BKK permanently - I am interested in purchasing the medical package you offer on this website (1.5M IPD). What does the panel of doctors on your policy say? What conditions would be considered "pre-existing" for a perfectly healthy (well almost) that takes medication to reduce cholesterol and high blood pressure? Thanks

I'm with Bupa Thailand, last year I put my girlfriend on it too. After 6 months of the policy I had to take her to hospital in Pattaya where she was diagnosed with an appendicitis and a cyst in her womb. Because she was not on the policy that long, Bupa said they would not pay the hospital direct as they wanted to look into her history to see if it was a pre -existing condition. This meant I would have to pay myself and then claim back through Bupa. Where as cost was obviously no option, we are lucky enough to have a Bupa office in Pattaya with an UK trained and UK national nurse. She was straight round to the hospital to visit us, looked at the circumstances and put our fears to rest saying this was standard practice due to the fact she had not been on the insurance that long, and there would be no problem with pay out. She must have visited 3 times at the hospital during my girlfriends stay to check to see if everything was ok.

The point I am making, is that being a stressful period, customer care by the Bupa rep was 2nd to none. She even called after discharge to make everything was still ok.

Any insurance company - and it's underwriters - are dependant on it's panel of Doctors to say what is "pre-existing".

In August I will be in BKK permanently - I am interested in purchasing the medical package you offer on this website (1.5M IPD). What does the panel of doctors on your policy say? What conditions would be considered "pre-existing" for a perfectly healthy (well almost) that takes medication to reduce cholesterol and high blood pressure? Thanks

Please send in a 'Quote Form' - http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form/ - and we will see!

Hi,

The school whee I work suggested I try the following Company for Health Insurance. I did and it was extremely competitive>>>>>>>>

Thai Health Insurance

Bangkok

Tel: 02642 3100 or check out their site >>>

www.thaihealth.co.th

worth a go :-)

There website appears to only be in Thai language.

Dose anyone know if it's possible to get info in english ??

thanx

Hi,

The school whee I work suggested I try the following Company for Health Insurance. I did and it was extremely competitive>>>>>>>>

Thai Health Insurance

Bangkok

Tel: 02642 3100 or check out their site >>>

www.thaihealth.co.th

worth a go :-)

There website appears to only be in Thai language.

Dose anyone know if it's possible to get info in english ??

thanx

In case anyone does not realise, the special Thai Visa medical plans are from Thai Health

I highly recommend self-insuring unless you are determined to live a ruinous lifestyle. Self-insurance is far cheaper in the long run and you have the sense of pride that comes for taking responsibility for your health and that of your family. The only insurance fraud is the idea of insurance itself.

The above does not describe self-insurance; It describes NO insurance.

From Wikipedia: "Self insurance is a risk management method whereby an eligible risk is retained, but a calculated amount of money is set aside to compensate for the potential future loss. The amount is calculated using actuarial and insurance information and the law of large numbers so that the amount set aside (similar to an insurance premium) is enough to cover the future uncertain loss. Self insurance is similar to insurance in concept, but involves either the payment of a self-insurance premium to a captive insurance company, cell captive or rent-a-captive insurer, or making an on-balance sheet provision and not paying a premium to an insurer at all.

Full or exclusive self-insurance is rare, as a combination of self-insurance and commercial insurance usually provides the best cover for the self-insured."

One is not a large number. Only a small percentage of those who purchase health insurance will have, or have in their family, a catastrophic illness. But 100% of those who had a catastrophic illness without insurance thought that it would never happen to them.

Team, as we've said before use the Thai Visa insurance service - they can offer premiums lower on their Members plans than anyone in Thailand.

I filled in TV application and asked for a quote for health insurance in Thailand

This is the reply I received :o:D

To

J e Jackson

May we ask who you are insured with and which plan you have ? :D:D

Thank you and our sincere best wishes for your continued happiness and good health, :D Thaivisa/AA Insurance

Peter

AA INSURANCE BROKERS CO., LTD.

565/62 Moo 10 (Next to Big C, South Pattaya),

Nongprue, Banglamung,

Chonburi, 20260

Phone: 038 415 795-6

Fax: 038 374 251

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://insurance.thaivisa.com

I dont have insurance i want it :bah::bah:

Does anyone know about or use HealthCare International Global Limited who is underwritten by Sagicor?

Their premiums are so inexpensive, I wonder how they can be profitable. Sagicor is rated A (excellent) by A.M. BEST but it is a fairly small insurance company at about $250 million out of Barbados.

The premium for a 56 - 60 age group is $526/year with a $2000 deductible per new event or $1179/year with a $1000 deductible per new event. I don't know what defines a "new event" yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I kinda like the 'self insurance' concept. It can build up to a lot of money in the long run. Lets take 2 examples of a youngish 30yo & an older 55yo both reaching say 70years of age(above average) paying typical annual premiums of 25k:

30yo paying 40years * 25k = 1M

55yo paying 15years * 25k = 375k

Actually it doesn't sound of too much even if assuming some growth in the savings on top.

Not sure what major operations would run up to perhaps 1M could be reached before too long while more standard minor stays of a couple of days or 5 usually run below 100k even at premium hospitals.

Anyway why would anyone say TV broker is is unofficial or was it unregistered/unlicensed?

It seems like few have anything positive to say about it even on this forum - bit hilarious actually :o

Worldfun

If I may attempt to answer your question re. costs.

To take your first example of a young person saving 25k Baht per year (after 40 years a 1m baht ‘pot’ saved), is it a good idea ?

Unfortunately 1m Baht does not go very far these days if you are expecting to be treated in one of Thailand’s ‘International’ private hospitals. We have just helped a person to move from a well know International hospital where he was being charged between 70 and 80k baht per day (we have the invoices to prove that) to a Government hospital where his bill is ‘only’ 10k baht a day (keep in mind that was without any surgical operations). He was in the International hospital for nearly 2 weeks and his savings were disappearing fast before he called us in to help. As you can see from this one example 1m Baht is not necessarily very much in today’s terms, what will it be like in 5/10 years. Note : the reason he was running out of money was that he was not insured – he was not a client of ours, but we try and help anyone, insured or not.

One other small but very important point, medical inflation is running between 10 and 15% year on year !

thaivisa,

thank you for your reply.

I have no problems believing medical bills can run sky high quickly thus I also said above the savings of 1M does NOT sound like a lot!

So that's why the choice of insurance is a very tricky one, but also overall good & steady business for the providers, underwriters, brokers & what not ;-)

This fact & a bit of statistical knowledge coupled yields that although medical costs may go up so must premiums unless the insurance business intends to cover looses?

Anyone have any stats for the 'average person's lifetime medical bill - whether paid by himself, social security or insurance policies? I suppose stats for Thailand or similar priced countries would be more interesting than say US :o

Maybe 1M will be above average - quite sure it will given this a 3rd world poor country with very low GDP still.

So the ultimate interesting average more interesting would be for the upper middle class up including foreign residents?

Anyone?

My final question is how high cover is really needed? 500k, 1M, 5M, 10M, 50M, 100M - yes even higher does exist!

This is for only 1 year not lifetime!

Take care out there in the traffic & everywhere all weekend!

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
YEs I sent a quote request a while ago when the THai Visa insurance was launched and received no reply.

Has anyone on this forum used THai Visa and have some good feedback ?

Khun George are you saying your rates are lower then the posted rates for Thai Health?

I had good health uk before and never used it but a friend of mine used it and was very happy with it.

The http://www.thaihealth.co.th has a small linnk to English in the right corner.

Please compare the Thai Visa Insurance rates with the Thai health ‘individual’ rates

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to MisterMan, I sent a request for quotation to ThaiVisaInsurance on Friday and had the quote within 10 minutes. I am currently reviewing the contents but if this is an example of their service levels then I'm impressed.

I also had a fast reply from TV insurance broker. Also; I compared the TV rates with going directly to Thaihealth and even though I get 10% discount on their listed prices when I go direct (I stated that I was my OWN broker so wanted part of their "cut" :o ) the TV broker rate is still better and also give more cover(1.5M) than the 1.2M my Wealthly Healthy 6000 insurance do.

I used Thaihealth (WH6000) for 2 years and have only had 1 small claim (2k or so ) but that claim went smoothly through at Bumringrad.

One of the advantages I see with the higher end Thai insurance companies (BUPA, THaihealth Etc.) is that no need to put out the cash first and later claim from an overseas/international insurance company. Also; insurance card Etc. is in both Thai and English meaning easier for emergency people/hospital staff Etc. to quickly understand/accept your cover - and get to the point of fixing you! In addition; Thaihealth/BUPA (and probably others) are well recognized/accepted by all hospitals in Thailand - so again; no lost time in getting to fixing you up which in an emergency can mean the diff. between life and death.

Imagine a smaller hospital(or even a bigger/international one) somewhere having you there unable to communicate and with your Bermuda based insurance card in your pocket.....oh my!

Cheers!