First Sighting Of 'weetbix'

chiangmaibruce

I don't miss western food all that much, but occasionally I do feel like starting the day with one of my favourite cereals from another place. I always keep an eye on the cereals in the various supermarket we go to here, but it's always wither fairly brutal-looking mueslis or the type of dyed confectionary that I imagine must appeal to north Americans. There is a european product I have tried called 'Weetabix' (I think), but it was a little too much like compressed sawdust for my liking.

Anyway, lo and behold, I was in Rim Ping Supermarket the other day (the one near the Pimuk housing estates). I was looking for Xmas pudding and the like, but while striding down the aisles my eye caught the familiar colours of several boxes of Sanitarium Weetbix. The real deal. Many varieties too.

Oh and they did have puddings too (2 sizes), fruit mince pies (looked good) and various other festive treats.

Merry Xmas!

There is a european product I have tried called 'Weetabix' (I think), but it was a little too much like compressed sawdust for my liking.

I am proud to report that this is actually a fine example of British nursery cuisine. :o

Not too bad, with a little demerera sugar sprinkled on top, and cold milk added to taste. :D

Jeez Louise, a breakfast cereal produced by a company named "Sanitarium"?

What's next, a coupon for a High Colonic included, AND a "carbon footprint" statement?

I'm American, but by gosh I REVERE and IDOLIZE a proper Brit breakfast. I understand and appreciate you are an antipodean, but Vegemite and Weetabix do not a cuisine make....

3 eggs. Ham. Bacon. Toast (on one side fine). Mushroom. Tomato. Baked Beans. Kippers. Tea (yes TEA, some very misinformed members do not understand that many Americans do drink tea, by the containership-load).

That iridescent cr_p that they sell in the supermarket is only consumed in America by the senile in nursing homes, farmers in the Midwest (who grow all that grain), and very small children.

Meet you at Mad Dog anytime, to buy you a proper brekkie.

You pay for the beer..... :o

It looks like the Aussies actually outdid the Poms on this one......... :o Which is unusual....

Nestled deep in the heart of the English countryside, The Weetabix Food Company has been creating delicious breakfast cereals since 1932, using only the finest ingredients. Our main home is a 75 acre site in Kettering, Northamptonshire, from where we produce our famous range of popular cereals, including Weetabix, Alpen, Weetaflakes, Ready Brek, Weetabix Minis and Weetos.

We've come a long way since we first started out and have grown from a small company to employing 2,500 people around the world. In fact, our best-known cereal, Weetabix, is officially the UK's favourite breakfast, accounting for 8% of the country's total cereal sales with annual sales worth over £89 million*.

Our unique range of breakfast cereals isn't just popular in the UK either - we also export to over 80 countries worldwide, from the Middle East and South America to Europe and South East Asia.

Weet-Bix

Sanitarium’s original wheat biscuit, Granose, was marketed in Australia and New Zealand during the early 1900s, not only as a breakfast cereal but also as an alternative to bread. During the 1920s, Sanitarium faced a challenge to Granose from a new sweetened flake biscuit called Weet-Bix, which was produced by a company called Grain Products.

In 1930, Sanitarium acquired Grain Products, which also had connections to the Seventh-day Adventist Church, and made Weet-Bix its own.

What's next, a coupon for a High Colonic included, AND a "carbon footprint" statement?

I'm American, but by gosh I REVERE and IDOLIZE a proper Brit breakfast. I understand and appreciate you are an antipodean, but Vegemite and Weetabix do not a cuisine make....

3 eggs. Ham. Bacon. Toast (on one side fine). Mushroom. Tomato. Baked Beans. Kippers. Tea (yes TEA, some very misinformed members do not understand that many Americans do drink tea, by the containership-load).

That iridescent cr_p that they sell in the supermarket is only consumed in America by the senile in nursing homes, farmers in the Midwest (who grow all that grain), and very small children.

Agreed about 80%. (100% about Sanitarium.) For the real breakfast you need to add Bloody Marys, lightly fried lambs kidneys and perhaps liver too, black pudding and possibly some porridge. Without breakfasts like this, there would have been no Empire. :D

Toast (on one side fine).

Why this obsession - with toast grilled only on one side, being British-style, which I've heard a few times before now ?

I have never encountered this, in the UK, except perhaps where the electric-toaster was slightly-broken ! :o

The only proper breakfast for an American is GRAPE NUTS cereal. Its is no longer available here, so I have switched to Wheetabix.

Sorry Jingthing, but the ONLY proper American breakfast is frosted, shredded wheat. Post or Quaker Oats will do just fine.

In the days of the British Empire - the ruling class all started the day with Kedgeree.

I have recently noticed (the valves have been out on my wirelss for a while) that both have gone missing, was there a link perhaps. :o

kedgeree..n, Indian dish of rice, split pulse, onions, eggs etc ; :D

In the days of the British Empire - the ruling class all started the day with Kedgeree.

I have recently noticed (the valves have been out on my wirelss for a while) that both have gone missing, was there a link perhaps. :o

healthy breakfasts are for wimps ,bacon sand wedges the only way to go :D

Kedgeree...I think of this as being rice with smoked haddock. For the ignorant :D haddock is a very popular fish which used to be abundant arround the British Isles,but due to overfishing is now getting difficult to find. A Finnan Haddock... a whole large smoked haddock...grilled or poached and served with a big lump of butter was a great way to start the day. So were Arbroath Smokies...smaller smoked haddocks....delicious.

healthy breakfasts are for wimps ,bacon sand wedges the only way to go :D

Why do you never starve, in the desert, because of all the 'sand-which-is' there. :D I'll just get my coat ...

There is so much natural food out there, why resort to all this processed stuff, no matter what!

The days people needed protein, greasy and calories rich food are over!

Or should we drink warm blood and intestines, because the Cro Magnum was so "much" stronger?

you still have not answered the important question. that is how much are they charging for Weet-Bix . that is all i eat for breakfast and when i was in chiang mai i missed it and as i am going back in a few months i am glad it is available :D:D:o

The only proper breakfast for an American is GRAPE NUTS cereal. Its is no longer available here, so I have switched to Wheetabix.

Sorry Jingthing, but the ONLY proper American breakfast is frosted, shredded wheat. Post or Quaker Oats will do just fine.

Those are good too. I suppose shredded wheat is pretty close to Wheetabix.

But sometimes you need the CRUNCH. The Grape Nuts crunch.

Kedgeree...I think of this as being rice with smoked haddock. For the ignorant :o haddock is a very popular fish which used to be abundant arround the British Isles,but due to overfishing is now getting difficult to find. A Finnan Haddock... a whole large smoked haddock...grilled or poached and served with a big lump of butter was a great way to start the day. So were Arbroath Smokies...smaller smoked haddocks....delicious.

Yes indeed and sometimes with a poached egg on top. :D

Anyway, lo and behold, I was in Rim Ping Supermarket the other day (the one near the Pimuk housing estates). I was looking for Xmas pudding and the like, but while striding down the aisles my eye caught the familiar colours of several boxes of Sanitarium Weetbix. The real deal. Many varieties too.

The Rimping supermarket near the river normally has a stock of Weetbix (Aus) and Weet-a-bix (Eng) It is in the aisle with the other breakfast foods on the far right of the store as you face it from the cashiers.

They also normally have a number of other Sanitarium products as well including Peanut Paste (smooth, crunchy, extra crunchy). Hidden away there are stocks of Vegemite near the marmite and Promite speads.

I like to grab some of the Uncle Toby's Mueslie bars as well. They are also the only reliable supplier of the genuine Tim Tams and Fruit Roll bisuits in Chiang Mai. The fake tim tams made in Indonesia are in my opinion an abomination against humanity and only fit for export to the USA. They are stocked in 7-11 stores and enjoyed by the Thais but are not even close to the real thing.

CB

Sanitarium is a company started and still controlled by the 7th Day Adventist Church. They ran Hospitals (Sanitariums) for sick people and advocated a vegetarian diet and healthy living. This was in the 1900's when the standard Australian diet was one large slab of fatty lamb or beef plus eggs and maybe three vegetables one of which was boiled potato and the other peas. The company still exists and have been advocates of vegetarian diet since the beginning. They sponsor and support many charities that promote healthy living and protecting the environment. They came under pressure in the 1980's from the US Kellog based company and also Uncle Toby who tried to break their market share and also aquire the company.

For your interest Kellogs was started up by Dr Kellog who also followed the same ideas of healthy food and living as Sanitarium. He made Corn Flakes but retreated when the dominant preference in the US market was for sweet and artificially coloured breakfast foods. Under his charter the company still makes Corn Flakes but their real market is for Sugar Frosties and Fruit Loops etc.

My standard breakfast is tea and toast with vegemite. I also like to have weetbix a couple of times a week. Having a bacon and three egg breakfast is way too much salt and fat for a healthy breakfast every day. Much better to have it on a Sunday morning as a special treat. In the west bacon and eggs is also probably the cruelest breakfast to eat when you consider the conditions that the pigs and chickens have to live.

Mad Dog breakfast is a good one - I used to like the breakfast at Hungry Horse and have had it (the same thing) at Queen Vic. The two sisters on Loi Kroh (was the Hungry Horse) have pretty well kept the same menu as before and they are good. But not every day and definitely not with beer first thing in the morning.

What I do miss is the proper POT with loose leaf tea that has enough to make two and a half mugs worth. It gets me when they hand over a mingy little cup half filled with warm water and a Lipton tea bag floating in it. How much harder can it be to do it properly?

CB

This was such a nice thread until someone introduced the notion of fish for breakfast.

This is significant as my least favourite breakfast food is 'pla too' - those nasty little fish that look like they swam into a brick wall. Yech!! OK at lunchtime, OK at dinnertime, but first thing in the morning? with that smell ... no way. I'll take the weetbix thanks.

Sorry I digress, here are the prices I was asked about:

Regular weetbix 375g box @ 95bt, 750g box @ 179bt

Multigrain weetbix 575g box @ 198bt

Weetbox Kids 375g @ 95bt

Weetbix fruity 500g box @ 179bt

And sorry to the poms, I note now that Weetabix are in fact, English.

-CB

• 4 months later...

OK, weetbix fans. Just a 'heads-up' about Carrefour. They now sell weetbix too (various varieties). Anyway they have had a sale on for several weeks now of various farang brand breakfast cereals. Looks like the stuff isn't exactly flying off the shelf i guess. With the regular weetbix they only have the small boxes, but it is 77 baht so a bit of a saving on the regular price.

Yeah, I saw the stuff on an aisle-end display day before yesterday at Carrefour.

It's in the falang food section, between the cheese cold display, and the bakery.

Beats me why anyone would want to eat that cow-food.... :D

How 'bout some toasted baguette with Normandy butter, kippers, and some scrambled eggs.... :o