Beach Road Will Be Closed To Weekend Traffic Starting From January 1

Pattaya_Fox

I don't understand why most of you are upset with this....it appears you set (sic) at home in front of your computers all day complaining about Thailand. Now exactly how will this affect you?

Such a masterful, incisive, original and thought provoking post.

I await with bated breath for your next utterance :o

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two way traffic on 2nd Rd and Beach Road closed. Dolphin Circle should be fun navigating. Should change the name to Suicide Circle.
I must make a note to visit dolphin roundabout on the first weekend this all happens, it should be good for a laugh.
Hi,

I do not understand why you focus on the "Dolphin Circle" ?

The only change there will be the fact that you can use 2d Road to go south too, not only Beach Road.

Beach Road will not be closed between Pattaya Nua and Pattaya Klang.

So I do not see what the problem will be there ??

Pattaya46

So how has it panned out?, anyone been down there yet?Sitting in the gloomy UK id like to know

It hasn't started yet. Presumably it will start next Friday.

Last night I was there - first time ever - and the roads were busy but the traffic kept moving. I did wonder what on earth a huge garbage disposal truck, with 4 workers sitting on the roof was doing driving down Beach Road at midnight. Sureley they weren't collecting garbage? :D

But about ten minutes later a JCB road digger trundled by, and I gave up wondering. :o

For sure it's going to be a dangerous mess, but maybe, just maybe, it's planned that way.

Could be some kind of power play between the Governor and the incoming Mayor and/or an attempt to force the Songtaew guys and Motor Bike renters into line

??

Two way traffic on 2nd Rd and Beach Road closed. Dolphin Circle should be fun navigating. Should change the name to Suicide Circle.
I must make a note to visit dolphin roundabout on the first weekend this all happens, it should be good for a laugh.
Hi,

The only change there will be the fact that you can use 2d Road to go south too, not only Beach Road.

Pattaya46

The original announcement was that Beach Road will be closed...all of it.

Where did you get your information? Feel free to share it.

Hi,

Pattaya46

Yes, and what difference will closing half of Beach Road make over all of it. Some of us endured the earlier experiment, as has been mentioned, and it was pure chaos. Oh, and another thing, the closures then were only weekend afternoons. If you do not see what the problem will be you need to open your eyes and let in a shaft of reality. The problem comes, in your scheme of a half closure of Beach Road, where the southbound stream down Beach Road has to meet and merge with the other streams at the juction of 2nd and Klang. A good point was made earlier regarding the traffic lights at 2nd and South being only for northbound traffic. Unless they install a second set of lights for weekend use only the stretch of 2nd between Klang and South remains one way northbound and the 2nd/Klang junction becomes a virtual gridlock. The scheme has been tried before and was an unmitigated failure. What has changed to alter the outcome this time?

There's an interesting report in the Jan1-15 edition of Pattaya Today, which I can't cut and paste as it's not on line yet.

It is a report of the Chonburi Governor's remarks at a recent meeting. Here's some snips:

..He is not at all pleased with the mess he saw, in particular Beach Road, concessions, Baht Buses and the traffic situation...

...He explained in no uncertain terms that Niran (the Mayor) had best get on with the job without delay if he wanted to see his term of office fully completed...

...Beach chair vendors care only about profit and not about the public interest or environment....

too many deck chairs cluttering the beach at Pattaya and Jomtien, trespassing on government land, dirtiness, staff dressed inappropriately, overcharging and low quality food...

...On the subject of Baht buses, the Governor said that they are one of the main reason why there are so many snarl ups on the roads.... baht buses parking in prohibited areas...

...2008 would see some big changes on the roads and parking fronts...

...We are not making optimum use of the road space available because of illegal parking and chaotic "free-for-all".....

...local government intervention was long overdue to sort matters out.....

...There will be restrictions on large tour buses dropping off their passengers on Beach Road....

Sounds like he means business :D

We may be in for some interesting times - or will the Mafia get to him :o ?

Good for him. It is about time central Government ( when we have one ) got involved as well. It is a national disgrace when one of the " Jewls" of Thai tourism is so poorly managed. Successful traffic management of limited road space with extensive and growing usage is a job for professionals, not any Tom Dick or Ng, who have a brain wave whist taking their morning dump. The dreadful situation on the roads in the lovely Patters must have reached the ears of someone who gives a F#$$%^k in BK ? If they wish to promote turism to new heights with the new " family friendly " Eastern Seaboard, direct intervention to actually plan the expansion of the Region must surely happen ? Please !!!!

Pattaya has always been a Disneyland with a Mickey Mouse government.

The way Pattaya has grown and changed it's time they also did something about the way it is run, it's not like they don't have funds to create a first class infrastructure.

I think this information come from an article of the Pattaya Mail about 2 weeks ago.

I can't find it now (where are their archives ??)

but I still have this (bad) image/photo that I saved :

nepattra.jpg

I someone can read the URL at the bottom of the picture...

could be good for more information.

I think this information come from an article of the Pattaya Mail about 2 weeks ago.

I can't find it now (where are their archives ??)

but I still have this (bad) image/photo that I saved :

nepattra.jpg

I someone can read the URL at the bottom of the picture...

could be good for more information.

This seems to show Second Road 2 way from Dolphin Roundabout to South Pattaya Road and Beach Road open from Dolphin Roundabout to Klang.

Let the chaos commence.

read most of the posts here and it all comes down to one thing, reduce the number of baht busses, you can close all the roads you like redirect all you like, nothing will change until 50% of the baht busses are gone, also preventing them from stopping just about anywhere they feel like, would also help.

pedestrian crossings wouldn't go a miss either, they have them in Bangkok why not here ?

Well this thread will make intersting reading morning of Monday 7th.

Maybe at that time we are still in a bar, stuck in all kind of traffic, not knowing how to go home....lol

Really excited to see the chaos commencing on Friday night!

At the Pattaya City Expats Club meeting last Sunday (Henry J Beans Pub, Beach Road) the chairman Khun Richard, announced that the scheme had been postponed.

This was in response to his enquiries about access for the club meetings.

The word 'postponed' is assumed to be a face saver for 'cancelled'.

Some cynics had already suggested that the scheme would be in operation for one weekend only, at best. And most likely would never materialise like the demolition of the illegal buildings on Walking Street. 14 years so far and they are still there tonight

Happy new year.

AMAZING THAILAND!

I always wonder about "losing face". Here you can make a damned stupid announcement at first, of which everybody thinks, that it is really stupid (....and you would have not only lost your face, but your head in the west), and then save your back, in just postponing your stupid idea.

Anyway, thanks for the info, and I'll have another beer on it!

the scheme had been postponed.

Typical PCEC. Are you really so conceited that you believe the whole scheme has been 'postponed' so you can get to your little meeting on a Sunday morning?

Pleeeaase. :o

Typical PCEC. Are you really so conceited that you believe the whole scheme has been 'postponed' so you can get to your little meeting on a Sunday morning?

Erm.... I hold no brief for PCEC, but I don't think he said that the postponement was a result of PCEC members not having access for their meeting, but merely as a result of their enquiries, they were given the good news :D

Or have I missed something?

Sorry haven't read the other postings yet....BUT.......I can't wait to see what will happen.......

Sai 2 will be 2-way?

How long will it take to clear tone side of the road each time??

What will happen to all the Sois between beach rd and Sai 2. -

Many of the beach rd Sois are one way ..... so will they be blocked off at the top or be 2-way so you can get out again?

Will all the traffic lights, signs and road markings be corrected for each time the traffic changes round?

just which motor vehicles will or won't be allowed to continue to use beach road? - won't that defeat the object?

Is there a named person responsible for this idea?...is he/she still in the country?

Aaah! so it's been "postponed"!!!!! - so that's the last we'll hear of that....

I still think that the bright spark who came up with this idea (and those who went along with it) should be named and shamed.....what if they come up with another idea?????

Edited by wilko

Erm.... I hold no brief for PCEC, but I don't think he said that the postponement was a result of PCEC members not having access for their meeting, but merely as a result of their enquiries, they were given the good news :D

Just the way I read it Mobi. He seems to be insinuating that it was postponed due to his lord and master asking how they would get to their meetings.

Just the way I read it Mobi. He seems to be insinuating that it was postponed due to his lord and master asking how they would get to their meetings.

Hm.... Maybe you're right :D

In any event, difficulties experienced by farangs getting to PCEC meetings would not even register on a minus scale of factors to take into consideration when closing Beach Road.

Actually, thinking about it, the good governor may consider it a positive. :D

These local visitors mostly come from a lot closer than Bangkok; there's acres of factories and dormitory towns out beyond Mabprachan. I can't claim to have seen rampant double parking except on Jomtien beach road where they have those bizarre nose-to-kerb parking zones where someone can parallel park with the kerb and block you in. But you are correct that there is absolutely zero enforcement by the local police of any laws.

The local police are too busy looking for Farang motorcyclists not wearing helmits to have any time to do anything useful. It wouldn't be so pathetic if there weren't so many Thais not wearing helmets and carrying 3 and 4 up on their motorcycles...and dangerously running red lights....right in front of the police too!

You'll notice they always make a point of nabbing some Thais at the same time in order to make it less obvious what they're really up to.

that is utter tripe! - and typical of ex-pat paranoia...they're always convinced that the men in brown have it in for them personally - you are not the centre of the universe, take a good look around and you will see hundreds of motorcyclists being stopped all over the province and most certainly not preponderantly non-Thai.

Edited by wilko

Hm.... Maybe you're right :D

In any event, difficulties experienced by farangs getting to PCEC meetings would not even register on a minus scale of factors to take into consideration when closing Beach Road.

Actually, thinking about it, the good governor may consider it a positive. :D

Sorry that I didn't express myself clearly enough.

What I should have said is that enquiries were made about the exact details of which roads would be closed and from where to where. In response to that enquiry it was stated that the plan had been postponed.

It was only mentioned in passing during an extremely interesting talk by Drew Noyes on the latest developments regarding the 'illegal' arrangements by which some people have set up companies solely to own houses.

You are right Mobi I was merely trying to pass on the 'good news?' as this thread seemed unaware of the postponement.

Mind you. The ways things happen here it wouldn't surprise me that much if the road closure took place anyway.

Sorry that I didn't express myself clearly enough.

What I should have said is that enquiries were made about the exact details of which roads would be closed and from where to where. In response to that enquiry it was stated that the plan had been postponed.

It was only mentioned in passing during an extremely interesting talk by Drew Noyes on the latest developments regarding the 'illegal' arrangements by which some people have set up companies solely to own houses.

You are right Mobi I was merely trying to pass on the 'good news?' as this thread seemed unaware of the postponement.

Mind you. The ways things happen here it wouldn't surprise me that much if the road closure took place anyway.

Totally and completely off topic, but as the planned Beach Road closure has now been postponed, maybe you could enlighten us on what Mr Noyes had to say on the subject of 'illegal arrangements' by foreigners to own houses? Did he have something new to impart? :o

Or maybe you could start a new thread and tell us about it? :D

Totally and completely off topic, but as the planned Beach Road closure has now been postponed, maybe you could enlighten us on what Mr Noyes had to say on the subject of 'illegal arrangements' by foreigners to own houses? Did he have something new to impart? :o

Or maybe you could start a new thread and tell us about it? :D

Sorry Mobi but I wouldn't even attempt to summarise his long talk which was received with rapt attention and great appreciation by most of those present. It was quite technical.

Here is how the City Expats newsletter promoted the talk last week.

Now, on to what is on the program for this coming Sunday. This week we will welcome back Drew Noyes for another topic of great interest to Expats. He will talk about the ways foreigners can protect their property investments such as land, houses, and condominiums (not foreign titled) here in Thailand. His talk will focus on how Expat property owners can become compliant with the new Thailand Foreign Business Act amendments, the recent and increasing Bank of Thailand restrictions and accountancy requirements, the added Department of Business Development company limited restrictions, and the new rules handed down by the Ministry of Labor regarding work permits needed to sign Company Limited documents (including land transfers). As always, we are sure Drew’s talk will be interesting and informative.

If you look on www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com later today or tomorrow there will be a summary of the talk in the newsletter.