Are You Part Of $336 Million Settlement ?

Tinkelbell

I filed my claim.....but don't expect to see any cash for years.

As suggested in the letter, the appeals process could take years to resolve.

Don't start counting your chickens yet.

The case has been settled...there should not be any appeal by the parties.

The only delay would likly came if the amount of claims vastly exceed the settlement monies. Then the court would have to re-visit the payout amounts or get the defendants to ante-up more money. Either of these tasks would take time...but would be months not years IMHO :o

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

branded credit, charge or debit/ATM card issued in the United States ... No help for us Aussies :o

People love to bash lawyers...until they need one or benefits from their actions. You need a more litigious society like the US :D

Right on ! Johnnie.

It's also nice to read that.... quoted " The Plaintiffs will also ask the Court for up to

$350,000 in service awards from the settlement fund on behalf of the 20 class representatives for their efforts on behalf of the classes.

Considers what they had been fighting for the cause for years. These guys deserve big reward.

Funny...I just checked my internet banking today and found a refund of $2900 and wondered what it was about, says it was international atm refunds...so there ya go.

No doubt that you recieved $2900 refund but wonder if its really from the cc companies as a result of the class action suit.

According to their web site(www.ccfsettlement.com), refunds will not be paid until the final court hearing in the U.S. District Court which is not scheduled until 11:00 March 31, 2008. Refunds will not be charged back to the cards, but will be sent by check to those getting a refund.

I would contact the bank and ask <deleted> is the $2900 about?

Yes my sister in Chicago Ill. U.S. called the 800 number for me & they replied they are a ways away from issuing any checks even the quickie $25.00 ones. Can any one confirm a real time on the payout. Mr squigle is your an American issued cards as you state your from Australia. I don't think the funds your talking about relate to this classaction. Can you clearify?

i was going to file a claim via the website linked here but it does not appear to be a secure site and i keep getting a security certificate warning on it. since it asks for SS# and account info, etc. to file a claim, i am inclined to think the website could be a phishing attempt.

Was it an Australian card or America as America is not issuing checks at this time & so far not only on this forum but others as well they say the same . I am not calling you a liar but a copy of any documents & you can conceal your bank numbers or important info (similar to posting a link when your called out )If it's an American check I would be astonished if you were the first man from Australia to receive a check from America that hasn't started issuance. I think CM Happy was asking the same. Comon Mr Squigle come clean is it true or just pure conjecture & your patronizing us to think that we think your cool.

I think this is on topic....Mai?

Was it an Australian card or America as America is not issuing checks at this time & so far not only on this forum but others as well they say the same . I am not calling you a liar but a copy of any documents & you can conceal your bank numbers or important info (similar to posting a link when your called out )If it's an American check I would be astonished if you were the first man from Australia to receive a check from America that hasn't started issuance. I think CM Happy was asking the same. Comon Mr Squigle come clean is it true or just pure conjecture & your patronizing us to think that we think your cool.

Wow...you're impressed by little old me.....I knew there was a hidden agenda behind your stalking..... :D .....I wub you to.

But yes....you got...you caught me out for the fraud that I am....I feel :o ...ashamed...yet somewhat....in a twisted kind of way....happy that you are thinking so much of me and I have taken up several minutes of your day that you will never get back.

As for providing evidence...I stated what my internet banking account said and it seems a strange coincidence if not related. Don't be jealous Doggy, just be happy for me ok....your $25 cheque should be in the mail soon.

I started getting charged 1% "foreign transaction fee" in Sept 06. I emailed my banker 3 times asking whats up but never got a reply.

Now, I read about this lawsuit but am confused. Why was this lawsuit filed? I am assuming the fee is somehow illegal but I am still being charged a foreign transaction fee on withdrawals from my US bank when I use my Mastercard.

I started getting charged 1% "foreign transaction fee" in Sept 06.

I am assuming the fee is somehow illegal but I am still being charged a foreign transaction fee on withdrawals from my US bank when I use my Mastercard.

Like most lawsuits, the exact allegations of wrongdoing were complicated. From my recollection, it had basically to do with violations of disclosure rules regarding credit card fees and charges. There may also have been disclosure violations and errors in the way foreign currency transactions were converted to US dollars on USA based CC accounts.

Foreign transaction fees are not in themselves illegal...just that they have to be disclosed to customers and this was not done or not done completely. That is why you may still be charged the fees...but at least they will be disclosed properly.

I should be elegible for a nice settlement, having spent in Asia on average 1milbaht/yr over the time period '97-'06 and jumped thru the hoops of ccfsettlement.com and hesitated when they asked sinsitive info regarding my visa cc# and my social security# and then noticed the site with form was not secure. I then googled 'ccfsettlement' and got even more confused at this late hour. yahoo answers says it is a scam altho there are other conflicting reports, so i will look closer tomorrow and maybe call the 800# of my visa provider and get their feedback.

maybe others can do the same and report their findings here on this forum to save us from being scammed or to give us some good news that '$$$$'S DO FALL FROM HEAVEN'??

Wow...you're impressed by little old me.....I knew there was a hidden agenda behind your stalking..... :D .....I wub you to.

But yes....you got...you caught me out for the fraud that I am....I feel :o ...ashamed...yet somewhat....in a twisted kind of way....happy that you are thinking so much of me and I have taken up several minutes of your day that you will never get back.

As for providing evidence...I stated what my internet banking account said and it seems a strange coincidence if not related. Don't be jealous Doggy, just be happy for me ok....your $25 cheque should be in the mail soon.

I appreciate your honesty Shows you do have some humbleness and can admit maybe your not right all the time -Who is!

I am filing #3 as I had extensive overseas travel & bank transfers from 2004 here in LOS I wire now as Citibank is free to a certain number of transfers but transferred a bunch on my cards in the beginning. We done with the pissing match OK.I am not holding a grudge on you . You don't gather respect that way.So I extend my hand to you & sincerely wish you a Happy new year!

OK

Barry

Edited by Beardog

I should be elegible for a nice settlement, having spent in Asia on average 1milbaht/yr over the time period '97-'06 and jumped thru the hoops of ccfsettlement.com and hesitated when they asked sinsitive info regarding my visa cc# and my social security# and then noticed the site with form was not secure. I then googled 'ccfsettlement' and got even more confused at this late hour. yahoo answers says it is a scam altho there are other conflicting reports, so i will look closer tomorrow and maybe call the 800# of my visa provider and get their feedback.

maybe others can do the same and report their findings here on this forum to save us from being scammed or to give us some good news that '$$'S DO FALL FROM HEAVEN'??

This does not look like a scam. See the following report on a very reliable news service (PR NewsWire) from the U.S., which specifcally mentions the web site where all the settlement info is housed:

Settlement Approval Hearing in In Re Currency Conversion Fee Antitrust Litigation Class Action To Be Held on March 31, 2008 at 11:00 a.m.

PHILADELPHIA, Dec. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Berger & Montague, P.C. and

Coughlin, Stoia, Geller, Rudman & Robbins LLP, Co-Lead and Co-Class Counsel

for the plaintiffs in the In re Currency Conversion Fee Antitrust

Litigation class action suit, announced the following:

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT

SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK

SUMMARY NOTICE OF SETTLEMENT OF CLASS ACTION

TO: ALL PERSONS AND ENTITIES WHO WERE VISA-, MASTERCARD- AND DINERS

CLUB- BRANDED CREDIT AND DEBIT/ATM CARDHOLDERS AND MADE A FOREIGN

TRANSACTION BETWEEN FEBRUARY 1, 1996 AND NOVEMBER 8, 2006:

If potential class members (individuals, companies, and agencies) used

a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit/ATM card, or a Diners Club credit card

(including charge cards) to make a foreign transaction between February 1,

1996 and November 8, 2006, they could get a refund from a class action

settlement. The settlement applies to those persons or entities even if

they did not make a foreign transaction, and they will benefit from it.

The lawsuit (called In re Currency Conversion Fee Antitrust Litigation)

claims that Visa, MasterCard, their member banks, and Diners Club conspired

to set and hide the price of foreign transactions (including fees,

typically 1-3%) in violation of federal and state law, and that Visa and

MasterCard inflated their base exchange rates before applying these fees.

The Defendants (Visa, MasterCard, Bank of America, Bank One/First USA,

Chase, Citibank, Diners Club, HSBC/Household, MBNA and Washington

Mutual/Providian) deny these claims.

The settlement provides $336,000,000 to pay claims, the costs of

administering the settlement and notice, and court-awarded attorneys' fees

(up to 27.5% of the estimated $313,000,000 expected to remain in the

settlement fund after deducting costs for administration and notice, plus

interest and expenses) and awards for the class representatives. The

Defendants also agree to certain disclosure-related practices. If approved,

the settlement will bind class members. If persons and entities are

eligible to make a claim and do not opt out, they will release all claims

related to any foreign transaction, or the subject matters of the lawsuit,

against the Defendants, the member banks, and related entities and

individuals. Claims in other cases involving foreign transactions will also

be extinguished, but they can still make a claim here, if eligible for a

refund. Settlement agreements have also been signed in some of these other

cases. These agreements include payment of fees and expenses to attorneys,

some of whom have represented the Plaintiff in Schwartz v. Visa (CA). These

payments will not reduce the $336,000,000 settlement.

Class members do not need to go to court but may if they want to. Class

members may also hire an attorney, at their own cost, if they want to. The

court hearing to decide whether to approve the settlement is on March 31,

2008 at 11:00 a.m. at the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of

New York, 500 Pearl Street, New York, NY, 10007-1581. If class members plan

to go, they are advised to check with the court to confirm the time and

date.

All class members who made a foreign transaction with a Visa,

MasterCard, or Diners Club credit or debit/ATM card between February 1,

1996 and November 8, 2006 are eligible for a refund. The amount of the

refund will depend on which claim form is chosen, the amount of total

claims, the dollar value of the claim, the bank that issued their card, and

the amount of money available to pay claims. Class members might only get a

partial refund.

Class members also have other options. They may:

-- Object. Class members must file a written objection and proof of

class membership with the court. They do not have to go to court or hire an

attorney. But can if they want to, at their own cost. The deadline is

February 14, 2008.

-- Opt out. If class members are eligible for a refund from the

settlement but do not want one, and they want to keep their right to sue

for money, they must opt out by sending the opt-out form letter (available

at: http://www.ccfsettlement.com, or by calling: 1-800-945-9890) to: P. O. Box

280, Philadelphia, PA 19105. If they opt out, they cannot get money from

the settlement. Class members cannot opt out of the part of the settlement

involving agreed disclosure-related practices. The deadline is February 14,

This notice is only a summary. For answers to common questions and more

information, including the amounts of transaction fees involved, visit:

http://www.ccfsettlement.com. For recorded information, call: 1-800-945-9890.

To ask for a refund, class members must file a claim for a refund

online at: http://www.ccfsettlement.com. Or file by mail (get a claim form at

http://www.ccfsettlement.com, or by calling 1-800-945-9890). The deadline is May

30, 2008.

DATED: September 24, 2007

BY ORDER OF THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT

FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK

s.server=server() s.channel="news release" s.pageName="news_release_settlement approval hearing in in re currency conversion fee antitrust litigation class action to be held on march 31, 2008 at 11:00 a.m." s.prop2="109" s.prop3="12-03-2007" /************* DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! **************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code); //--> SOURCE Berger & Montague, P.C.; Coughlin, Stoia, Geller, Rudman &

Robbins

Link to this page:

<a href="http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/12-03-2007/0004715098&EDATE=#linktopagetop" onclick="disp('link1');">

link_bottom.gif

backtotop.gifback to top

Related links:

<li>http://www.ccfsettlement.com

Not sure if it is related but my Australian bank (NAB) gave me a refund on overseas charges about 6 months ago. One day some money appeared in the bank (only about $30AUD) and then a letter advising of the overcharge. Like I said not sure if it is related or not.

I appreciate your honesty Shows you do have some humbleness and can admit maybe your not right all the time -Who is!

I am filing #3 as I had extensive overseas travel & bank transfers from 2004 here in LOS I wire now as Citibank is free to a certain number of transfers but transferred a bunch on my cards in the beginning. We done with the pissing match OK.I am not holding a grudge on you . You don't gather respect that way.So I extend my hand to you & sincerely wish you a Happy new year!

OK

Barry

Where did I say I was not right ??? I got a refund into my account stating it was for international transactions refund of $2900 and that is that, you can believe it or not, I will not lose any sleep over it and nor will I wondering if everyone still thinks I am cool or not for it... :o ....

You should apoligise first ......after all you started it .... :D

OK

Barry

Where did I say I was not right ??? I got a refund into my account stating it was for international transactions refund of $2900 and that is that, you can believe it or not, I will not lose any sleep over it and nor will I wondering if everyone still thinks I am cool or not for it... :D ....

You should apoligise first ......after all you started it .... :D

Must have been the last post about you caught in fraud on your last post. Maybe a good idea to copy your posts. That way if you lie or tell the truth you ill be able to remember what you said! :o

Still do not believe it but offered you a truce and a chance to redeem yourself by proving the post was not yet another fallacy as others on Thaivisa also think you are a bored poster misinformed & makes up stories. If I am wrong Show us some proof a copy from the settlement board & you can hide the particulars or a check showing you were paid. Here on Thaivisa when your called out you provide a link or proof of some sort or we all think your full of crap. Redemption is waiting where is your proof ? Or you just trying to be Mr. Popular?You are ruining your credibility by lowering yourself to these pissing games. I have been called out 3 times & provided responses to all & apologies to 3 people this year as I was harsh with 2 people &Offered to buy the other a drink lunch dinner or whatever as it does not matter if you posted under a false pretense,more that you can be humble & show integrity. I still wish you a Happy New Year! P.S. Please stop dragging me into your little man syndrome. And please in the future post from what is real or at least back it up as talk is cheap! If I were smart I would not bother to respond without proof.You just will look like a fool in the end.

Here is a thought open a new post(that way it will be fresh and we can all revel in your glory about it's true look I did get a settlement check from the settlement board from Australia U.S. Or where ever you are really from & That way you get not only to be Mr. popular or Mr cool but you will also get an apology from me wouldn't that be sweet!

Edited by Beardog

'Must have been the last post about you caught in fraud on your last post. Maybe a good idea to copy your posts. That way if you lie or tell the truth you ill be able to remember what you said'

You really are a challenge ain't you doggy.

Me thinks you just miss someone too much and you are drinking yourself into a blubbering mess.

'Must have been the last post about you caught in fraud on your last post. Maybe a good idea to copy your posts. That way if you lie or tell the truth you ill be able to remember what you said'

You really are a challenge ain't you doggy.

Me thinks you just miss someone too much and you are drinking yourself into a blubbering mess.

Maybe on the

"But yes....you got...you caught me out for the fraud that I am...."

Have you ever looked at how many stars are above your Knickname I guess your 2 stars probably are why a lot of people have decided to block you or ignore you. I have 5 stars & certainly earned it by backing up anything I have said in a post!

& you know why, to me it is not that important to be popular just remember integrity & helping others on things I know or actually go on line to find out & yes I have almost every post I have posted have 22 people I use personal E-mails with opposed to PM ing & have spent an afternoon showing some property to one of the moderators.

Since you will not back up anything & except a truce I will ask SBK to review this post & possibly have it closed.

It takes more of a man or woman to say sorry & get over it. My Brothers kid is only 19 & knows & shows integrity in his actions. Try looking up Humble or Integrity & see what you lack in personal experience!

Does your soul existence revolve around Mr. Squigle? Just bury this issue as no one but you has said they got a bona fide check from the settlement board. I think you would remember filling out the forms which since the amount you claim to get back would take a while to fill out. They just don't send you a check. It is a settlement & usually legal documents are have to be signed as received to release liability of the litigants in any class action. All smoke & Mirrors -Either you have the Documents or your fabricating stories , proof is in the pudding so put up or shut up. :o :annoyed:I am going to have to get a bigger shovel as I see you have a PHD= piled higher & deeper!

Like I said before Happy new Year & this is where you be a man & quit sniveling & wish me the same.

Edited by Beardog

Guys...a heartfelt and sincere request... take your argument and leave it outside of this post...

This post is about a legal case relating to international credit/debit card transactions. Your argument has become a personal pissing match.

It doesn't belong here. But... discussion of..and information about...the legal case does belong here.

Give everyone a break..in that regard. Thanks, John.

Guys...a heartfelt and sincere request... take your argument and leave it outside of this post...

This post is about a legal case relating to international credit/debit card transactions. Your argument has become a personal pissing match.

It doesn't belong here. But... discussion of..and information about...the legal case does belong here.

Good point John I have ignored Mr.squigle wished him a new year & asked the pm's to look into this matter as it is very boring & this is a good post. I am sorry about letting the post get hijacked & reacting to a very piss poor Pissing match!

I have also opened up a similar thread to find out if any or when the actual checks of any amount are issued.

Again i do apologize for being baited into the worthless flex of blah blah blah with Squigle!

Have a Happy New Year to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry :o

Good call Chandler, bout time someone told him to pull his head in... :o

After all, I was only relating my experiences and what happened to me with a refund from my bank.

• 4 months later...

Well just submitted my claim online. Really easy and used option 3 - estimated my annual foreign charges during each year of the years in dispute. Put in for a total of US$ 70,000 for all the years. I lived in Thailand from 1999 onward so had about 10k per year in foreign charges from then on. Will see what my refund turns out to be...something like 2-3% of the charges I thought I read somewhere so maybe around $ 1750. That will go a little ways in LOS :o

By the way, the claims filing deadline in May 30...or 12 more days!

Well just submitted my claim online. Really easy and used option 3 - estimated my annual foreign charges during each year of the years in dispute. Put in for a total of US$ 70,000 for all the years. I lived in Thailand from 1999 onward so had about 10k per year in foreign charges from then on. Will see what my refund turns out to be...something like 2-3% of the charges I thought I read somewhere so maybe around $ 1750. That will go a little ways in LOS :D

By the way, the claims filing deadline in May 30...or 12 more days!

Well done ! John

I hope some of us folks here had done the claim already. I did mine last week. I'm not sure how much to expect since the pot is going to divine according to how many people who are eligible and filing the claim.

I think if we stick around long enough we might make a career out of this. :D:D

Last month I filed a claim for De Beers's $295-million settlement which is about to pass

the dateline tonight (May 19, 2008).

John and others,

In case you didn't know, there is another lawsuit. :D ...... "British Airways PLC and Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd. agreed to pay as much as $203-million to settle a lawsuit's claims they overcharged travelers in the United States and Britain for fuel fees on long-haul flights between 2004 and 2006."

I'm sure many of you guys are eligible to file a claim for this pot.

I'm out of this picture since I never flown with them. :o

Let's get moving, Boys

Thanks for reminding..about this...

I filed my claim online tonight... category 2... just summarize the number of days outside the U.S. on travel from 1996 to 2006, and provide the acct. number of one qualifying Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card used out of the country during that period for "foreign transactions."

That was easy to calculate...just by going into my passport, and pulling out all the stamp-in to BKK dates...and the corresponding stamp-out dates.... and then counting/totaling the days...

My total for 2004, 05 and 06 was just over 100 days... all in Thailand!!! Dang... I wish I had known to come here sooner!!!! :D:o

Am I elligible if Bank of America charges me $5 per ATM/check card transaction that I make in Thailand?

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share this good news to all our dear VISA forumers. I decide to post it here since there is a sizable of American , UK and other western expats live in TL or came here as a tourist.

This is a letter that I receive from U.S. Didtrict Court Settlement Administrator last week.

Quoted...."

Dear xxxxx xxxx,

We are writing on behalf of the U.S. District Court because you are eligible to receive a Court-approved refund of fees charged to your eligible cards, which are Visa, Master Card, and/or Diner Club credit, charged and/or debit/ATM cards. The fees were based on FOREIGN transactions, including both purchases and ATM withdrawals,

from February 1, 1996 to November 8, 2006.

Please read the enclosed Natice explaining the proposed $336 million settlement and all of your options under the settlement..." :o

Therefore, if anyone of you received your credit cards (from those co: mentioned above) in the U.S.A, and had done foreign transaction in the period from Feb. 1 to Nov. 8, 06. Go to www.ccfsettlement.com or telephone at 1-800-945-9890.

Good luck & MERRY CHRISTMAS :D:D:D

Am I elligible if Bank of America charges me $5 per ATM/check card transaction that I make in Thailand?

The matter under discussion in this thread concerns undisclosed and/or miscalculated fees and interest charges on US Mastercard and Visa transactions made in foreign countries during a period of about 10 years. Those people who had a Visa/Mastercard during the relevant time period AND used it to make foreign transactions (purchases and cash advances) are eligible to receive a refund based on the dollar amount of their FOREIGN transactions during the time in question.

I don't think your BOA check charges would be eligible. It is specifically related to Visa/Master CREDIT CARD transactions.