Steak Dinner?

Jonny B

hi im looking to go out for a really nice steak dinner and i mean a proper steak not a thai style steak, somewhere between bangkok and pattaya. Has anybody eaten at any of the steak houses here? were they any good or value for money or if anybody has any other restaurant recommendations it would be much appreciated.

thanks

hi im looking to go out for a really nice steak dinner and i mean a proper steak not a thai style steak, somewhere between bangkok and pattaya. Has anybody eaten at any of the steak houses here? were they any good or value for money or if anybody has any other restaurant recommendations it would be much appreciated.

thanks

New York Steak House at Marriott (Bangkok - Sukumvit) or Manhattan Steak House (Pattaya)

It's not quite the answer you were after but in FUji the steak set (150baht) is sensational for the price. You get about 4 ounces of rare steak which is as good as any imported (it may well be imported) steak I have tried in LOS. Have a couple of those and you will we well steaked!

Buy your own and cook it.

Best steak I have had for about 15 years I had here just recently, bought it, thai steak and it was delicious.

Just cooked a rolled beef roast on the spit also, thai steak and it was very good also. Now eating it cold in sandwhiches with mustard or beetroot relish.....even better.

One thing...stay away from Chok chai restaurants, I had the worst steak there ever in my life, first time I just could not eat it. Sent it back actually 3 times, on the thrid rejected it and left, disgusting and it was not just me, there were 3 of us and all were the same, different steaks, equally as bad.

Buy your own and cook it.

Best steak I have had for about 15 years I had here just recently, bought it, thai steak and it was delicious.

Just cooked a rolled beef roast on the spit also, thai steak and it was very good also. Now eating it cold in sandwhiches with mustard or beetroot relish.....even better.

One thing...stay away from Chok chai restaurants, I had the worst steak there ever in my life, first time I just could not eat it. Sent it back actually 3 times, on the thrid rejected it and left, disgusting and it was not just me, there were 3 of us and all were the same, different steaks, equally as bad.

thanks for the suggestions. ok to be specific i am looking for somewhere to go out for a dinner, a restaurant, where somebody cooks for you. thanks for the heads up about chok chai restaurants tho mr squigle, never heard of them but will keep an eye then.

any more suddestions would be appreciated thanks guys.

It's not quite the answer you were after but in FUji the steak set (150baht) is sensational for the price. You get about 4 ounces of rare steak which is as good as any imported (it may well be imported) steak I have tried in LOS. Have a couple of those and you will we well steaked!

where is it?

If you really think nowhere else comes close, you dont get out much or have little taste for steak and a huge desire to pay through the nose for it.

Also do not bring anyone under 12 there, not allowed, strict dining etiquitte required here.

Do enlighten on where you believe is better?. Bearing in mind you went to Chok Chai for steak and enjoy Thai-French cuts..... your taste is obviously very different to mine. :o

Yeah don't get out much these days.

Edited by dekka007

Well, let me add, yes we went to chok chai as it was recommended, yes we tried it because it is a thai place and wanted to try the local nosh and it was the chok chai steak house at their farm, not a bangkok restaurant, so figured the steaks should be 'exquisite' at their centre showpiece.....wrong.

I will not pay a ridiculous amount of money for a steak cooked at a 5 star restaurant by staff on minimla wage.

And yes, 'now' I do love thai-french steak. A pile of steaks I bought a month or so ago looked excellant in the shop and when cooked it turned out to be the second best steak I have ever had. If you doubt my ability to judge good steaks, I come from a cattle farming family in Oz and worked on cattle stations for years. I know a good steak.....I also know how to ruin them occassionaly on the bbq.

Anyway, the best steak I have ever had was one I killed myself, around about 1 year old female wild buffalo, chased by helicopter, shot in the head, back straps and rump cut from the carcas within 30 minutes of death and cooked on an open fire bbq within the hour.

A finer tasting and tender piece of meat you will never taste.

I also bought a pice of kobe beef the other day, first time to try it and while it was the most tender ever, it kind of fell away like a just cooked donut, but not much flavour and I think to tender/soft for meat.

So to answer your question of 'where'.....my house.

where is it?

Fuji are japanese restuarants. They seem to be everywhere. Certainly in every mall I have been to in Thailand. And I have to say the consistency is good too.

Also do not bring anyone under 12 there, not allowed, strict dining etiquitte required here.

Unfortunately, rent-a-girlfriends from a nearby "plaza" are accommodated. Nothing funnier than seeing one of these gals trying to eat with a knife and fork for the first time. Really an embarrassment to both the girl and all the other Thais dining in the place :o

cut from the carcas within 30 minutes of death and cooked on an open fire bbq within the hour.

That comment there shows you know nothing about good steak my friend :D

The best steak is well hung, in perfect conditions, for at least 30 days....

Agreed. Worse case scenario is wait for rigamortis to set in for a much more tender piece of meat. 30 minutes? more like a blood sausage :o

Whatever you guys want to believe....I guess you have all lived with cattle and killed them yourself and know much more. Thats why you enjoy eating it in a place like the Marriot :o

'Nothing funnier than seeing one of these gals trying to eat with a knife and fork for the first time.'

While not such a nice thing to say...made me laugh and remember my comments to a girlfriend of a friend some time ago.

Also for those that want to try, I have never been there as yet, but it has been consistantly recommended for excellent steak at good prices....is a little french restauarant in Patpong, soi 2 I think, the small one between patpong proper and soi Thaniya.

Not the ideal location for a nice romantic dinner or for kids, but any other scenario should suit....it is also close to another fine establishment which I also have not tried.. :o ..SOL

In Pattaya the Big Horn Steakhouse on Soi Kiss foods is second to none at a reasonable price. Manhattens which looks very ''Miami vice'' By Jomtien Is far too expensive for the shaving of a cows arse!

What kind of beef does Big Horn serve, Thai or imported?

In Pattaya the Big Horn Steakhouse on Soi Kiss foods is second to none at a reasonable price. Manhattens which looks very ''Miami vice'' By Jomtien Is far too expensive for the shaving of a cows arse!

What kind of beef does Big Horn serve, Thai or imported?

I couldnt tell ya mate but it sure is good :o . One thing i can tell you is that it is fat and beefy......... urrrgh slobber.....

Whatever you guys want to believe....I guess you have all lived with cattle and killed them yourself and know much more. Thats why you enjoy eating it in a place like the Marriot :o

Welcome to Mr Squigles" MooMoo bar and steakhouse- Freshly murdered cow on a plate within 30 mins guaranteed " :D

Jokes aside there is mooo way sorry meant noo way the battle of the perfect steak will ever be sorted in your lifetimes. My best mate insisted on freezing perfectly good steak just so he could cook it frozen in the oven and that way it cooks from the outside in whilst retaining the juices..<deleted>?

just to let you guys know that i ended up eating at the outback steakhouse in bkk at the siam centre area, its an aussy based restaurant and i believe the meats were from there, we were more than happy with the food and the price, i had a steak and g.f had the ribs, were both happy with the meals and portions we got.

just to let you guys know that i ended up eating at the outback steakhouse in bkk at the siam centre area, its an aussy based restaurant and i believe the meats were from there, we were more than happy with the food and the price, i had a steak and g.f had the ribs, were both happy with the meals and portions we got.

Actually, Outback is an American chain restaurant with an Aussie theme:

Outback Steakhouse is a casual dining American restaurant chain based in Tampa, Florida with over 900 locations in 23 countries throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. It specializes in USDA Choice and, occasionally, Prime steaks and other offerings in an Australian-inspired environment.

i have tried almost all suggestions made here so far and sadly none really stand out as being anything spectacular. the best steak i've had in bkk is actually at an italian restaurant on soi lang suan called Calderazzo. ask for the t-bone, it comes beautifully grilled, bone-in but pre-sliced for you in a way that makes the huge steak fan out across the dinner plate. very impressive and very tasty with a nice touch of rosemary and pecorino.

but if it is really top shelf unadulterated USDA prime aged beef you are after, the best you can do is fly 2 hours over to the Singapore branch of Morton's of Chicago, located at the Oriental Hotel, they have airflown steaks direct from the Chicago meat locker. not cheap, but good. if you are really crazy about steaks like me, make a pilgrimage to Peter Luger's or Smith and Wollenski's in New York, its definitely a religious experience.

• 3 weeks later...
If you really think nowhere else comes close, you dont get out much or have little taste for steak and a huge desire to pay through the nose for it.

alternative suggestions then? and i dont mean "cook it yourself".

Well, let me add, yes we went to chok chai as it was recommended, yes we tried it because it is a thai place and wanted to try the local nosh and it was the chok chai steak house at their farm, not a bangkok restaurant, so figured the steaks should be 'exquisite' at their centre showpiece.....wrong.

I will not pay a ridiculous amount of money for a steak cooked at a 5 star restaurant by staff on minimla wage.

And yes, 'now' I do love thai-french steak. A pile of steaks I bought a month or so ago looked excellant in the shop and when cooked it turned out to be the second best steak I have ever had. If you doubt my ability to judge good steaks, I come from a cattle farming family in Oz and worked on cattle stations for years. I know a good steak.....I also know how to ruin them occassionaly on the bbq.

Anyway, the best steak I have ever had was one I killed myself, around about 1 year old female wild buffalo, chased by helicopter, shot in the head, back straps and rump cut from the carcas within 30 minutes of death and cooked on an open fire bbq within the hour.

A finer tasting and tender piece of meat you will never taste.

I also bought a pice of kobe beef the other day, first time to try it and while it was the most tender ever, it kind of fell away like a just cooked donut, but not much flavour and I think to tender/soft for meat.

So to answer your question of 'where'.....my house.

so you simply dont have an answer do you. thanks for coming out.