Metal Awnings For Carport, Windows, & Doors

Pib

The wife and I will soon be the proud owners of a new house in Bangkok and we want to add a metal awning to the front of the carport and various metal awnings over certain doors and windows. While we plan to ask the company selling us the house, we sure would appreciate other recommendations.

Any recommendations as to specific type of metal awning to buy and companies (name and location) to buy from? Thanks and Happy Holidays.

• Like 1

Happy New Year to you!

Why not have them build a metal roof add on out of steel & put some roofing panels up about 47 baht a meter sheet or so.

The metal Is a lot stronger & the roof panels provide a way longer lasting awning for years to come(providing the length isn't longer than the bolted metal add on can give. I am thinking the same for a little extra space for my Motorcycle for shade & keepin the bird crap off the bike.

It is a lot longer lasting solution & as it gets older it will age with your house instead of being dead or discolored in 2-3 years & if you get the crank type they eventually croak as well. rented 2 places with awnings & wasn't impressed, a motor home yes Mi Casa no way. worth the few baht more & can be welded & put up quick. As always take a peak at the quality of the welds (casually) We liked our welder contractor we talked to & he is building our house now. I am floored complete U.S. standards real rebar 5/8 good cement & the works.

Maybe the awning might work for you, but its worth considering the roof route on the new house of your dreams!

Barry

Thanks for the recommendation. The main reason I'm considering the metal awning route is because I saw quite a few houses in my development that had metal awnings...I don't remember seeing any that appeared to be metal roof extensions. But metal roof extensions is definitely something to scope out and I just may go that route in the outdoor kitchen area. Assuming there are not huge differences in costs, I expect I'll go with whichever (roof or awning) looks the best. Some of curved, multi-colored awnings sure looked good. I'll probably knock on the gates/doors of some the houses which have the awnings to also get some recommendations. Thanks again and Happy New Year.

Edited by Pib

One thing you may want to bear in mind, the metal awning thingies are Veeeery noisy in the rain.

A friend of ours had a wooden frame built and used cement tiles same as on the house, much quieter and blends in with the rest of the house.

Daffys couple of cents worth.

:o

Thanks...and a good two cents worth it is (although at today's exchange rate it may only be worth 1.9 cents) :o Seriously, a very good point as rain on thin metal can get noisy.

Totally agree, TOO noisy, been there!!

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I will also add that if this metal is exposed to the sun during the hot times of the day the area under it will be DRAMATICALLY hotter in addition to the noise from rain. I had one on the front of the house we rented and on the west southwest face and by late afternoon it was like an oven and this caused more heat in the living space and front patio area. Very uncomfortable. The noise from a heavy or light downpour was terrible too.

• 12 years later...
On 12/26/2007 at 11:30 AM, Pib said:

The wife and I will soon be the proud owners of a new house in Bangkok and we want to add a metal awning to the front of the carport and various metal awnings over certain doors and windows. While we plan to ask the company selling us the house, we sure would appreciate other recommendations.

Any recommendations as to specific type of metal awning to buy and companies (name and location) to buy from? Thanks and Happy Holidays.

I’ve been doing some research into window awnings for our home and came across this old aseannow (Thaivisa) post from back in 2007 and was wondering what type of awnings you ended up going with, and pros/cons of your choice.

Thanks for any input you could share.

Anyone else have any ideas, suggestions?

The house we want to add some awnings on is a typical wooden Thai style home. There is a place nearby that does the metal awnings with the curved front edge, and those look like they would not be too much trouble to install, but the responses about the noise in the rain with metal awnings has me re-thinking this. However, that said, the entire house is metal roofing including 2 car ports down the sides of the house, so I can’t imagine metal awnings would add much more noise than we already “enjoy”. ????

3 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

I’ve been doing some research into window awnings for our home and came across this old aseannow (Thaivisa) post from back in 2007 and was wondering what type of awnings you ended up going with, and pros/cons of your choice.

Thanks for any input you could share.

I went with stainless steel 1 inch in diameter round poles as the awning underlying support structure initially covered by twin wall polycarbonate sheets like in Pic 1 I got off Google.   I did not do any "window" awnings; I just did some awning to extend and cover my house carport and cover an area on the backside of my house which leads/connects to the kitchen area.

Seems most everyone in my moobaan used polycarbonate sheets for awning over windows, carports, small outside areas.    But after about 5 years the polycarbonate sheet started to develop pinhole sized leaks....got brittle....started developing mold stains between the twin sheets/layers due to rain leaks....just didn't hold-up well under the hot tropic sun and didn't look good after 5 years.  Plus polycarbonate sheets are pretty noisy when it rains.

So, after about 5 years I had the polycarbonate sheets taken off the stainless steel framing and replaced with "Wood Polymer/Plastic Composite (WPC)" planks which comes in all kinds of designs, colors, and interlocking mechanisms for outdoor/indoor floor decks, wall cladding, and roofing.  WPC is just "everywhere" now days....pretty much replacing wood in many building applications.  See Pics 2 and 3 from Google for WPC that is real close to what I got although the interlocking picture is just a "tad" different from what I have....the interlocking is waterproof....made just for roofing.  It comes in long, flexible (or stiff) boards/planks (the ones I got were around 5 meters long) that are cut to whatever lengths are needed during install and then screwed down to the support framing.  Since the WPC planks I got were flexible since I needed them to curve for the awning slope....they can be bent quite a lot if getting flexible WPC geared towards roofs.   The WPC is suppose to last like forever.

I've now had this WPC type awning for around 9 years and it still looks almost brand new....zero leaks....no cracking....strong (I can walk on it)....and quiet like a concrete shingle when it rains.  

Just google for Wood Plastic Composite (WPC) and there are about a gazillion images/articles on the material.   But whatever you do don't go with polycarbonate sheets or metal unless you like drum noise when it rains along with polycarbonate not being very long lasting unless you are OK with pinhole leaks, brittleness, cracks, etc., after 5 years or so if the sheets get a lot of sun everyday.   Cheers.

Pic 1

image.png.eda6bb0069d2cb7cd6941ae91426ca99.png

Pic 2.  I went with a brown color and smooth finish.  The come in "many" colors.

image.png.40e6bcdf638b067b45cb92b283683e41.png

Pic 3 showing the interlocking method which is water proof.   The planks I have interlock a little differently/shaped a little different....below pic is just to give you an idea of how they connect/snap together to form a leak proof connection.  They just snap together and are then screwed down to the support framing.

image.png.5a8847885733c09ba6efe8beb6c2b128.png

Edited by Pib

13 hours ago, Pib said:

replaced with "Wood Polymer/Plastic Composite (WPC)" planks

Thank Pib. I’ll look into the “WPC” material you posted and see what I can find locally. Still need to figure out the best way to make the frame to attach the WPC onto. I’ll have to take a look at the place nearby where we live that does the metal awnings and see what type of frame they use. If they are strong enough I may just buy the frames from them and then install the WPC instead of the metal. If the frames aren’t strong enough maybe I could find someone that could build the same frame out of a stronger material.

Another option is an awning I’ve seen online at HomePro that are only 750 Baht. Maybe I could purchase one of those and replace the metal with some WPC. I’d have to do some modification since I need a width of about 164cm. The closest HomePro is a little over an hour away. Online I couldn’t find any WPC roofing at HomePro, but they do have WPC outdoor flooring. I’ll have to take a look and see if that would work, although being for outside decking, it is probably designed to allow water to flow out between planks.

Or…I could just go with the metal awning.

Like I mentioned before, we have metal roofing on the house and also the two carports. The metal carport roofing is only about 45cm below the windows, so it’s already pretty loud when it rains. If the noise from the awnings is too much, I could later replace the metal with WPC when I find some.

Thanks again.