Son Refuses To Put On Shoes

LadyinRed

My 4 y/o son was born and bred in the tropics, and he loves his flip flops. He even puts them on in Europe last summer.

On occasions when we had to dress up he simply refused to put shoes on, insisting to wear only his flip flops.

I've coaxed, praised ('how handsome you look'), blackmailed ('here's a chocolate for you if you put them on'), and heaven knows it's a major fight each time (always ends in tears and snorters).

He goes to a non-uniformed school, so no shoes required.

Any tips and tricks from seasoned parents out there?

Is he in Europe now ? I suspect not as he would freeze.

I always find it funny in North Viet Nam where the temperature can get quite low in the winter that the locals have on their winter sweaters and jackets and woolly hats and scarves and still wear flip flops with no socks!!!

how about trying him with crocs or similar backless shoes. I hate wearing shoes & would like in flipflops if UK weather permitted it so I know how he feels.

He had a pair of Crocs but he hates wearing them too. On the rare occasion when he finally had shoes on he'll drive me nuts a while later by asking for his flip flops every 10 seconds. I hope this is just a phase... *glup*

Can tell you from experience that there is nothing you can do. I dislike wearing shoes (and I was "born and bred" in Europe). Since I can remember people tried to "correct" me. In their view, a left-handed person refusing to wear shoes was a lower life-form. (Still left-handed, still don't wear shoes if not necessary.) Asia is the paradise for me. The biggest problem I have coming home is to be expected to wear slippers indoors. I can manage 2-3 min, not more. Just leave him be.

I hope this is just a phase... *glup*

Well it just may be. At that age they do start "testing" the relationship and it may be that its not about shoes at all.

Instead of coaxing, praising or blackmailing, have you just tried telling him what to do and disregard the tantrums and snorters? Not easy as a concerned parent to ignore our (at the time) 5 y/o little girl crying over lots of small things that she either did or did not want to do, but thats just emotional blackmail.

We had the same sorts of issues with both our kids at the same age, too old to treat as a baby, too young to reason with :o