Longest 'stuck' In Bkk Traffic

corkscrew

Guest Property

It took us nearly 3 hours to get from Ekkamai to the Nana Plaza one evening. The car was in a real state when we arrived, overheating etc.

Thai women are sometimes intuitive about these strange traffic delays. I have frequently seen them leisurely get out of the passenger seat and walk to the soi sidewalk and buy food and then return to the car before the car has even moved an inch.

I rarely drive in bangkok for just that reason. My worst case at home was stuck behind some cows for more than 2 minutes. It made me soooo mad :o

post-48222-1198669070_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine lived in Texas and he had tales of cattle drives that never seemed to end. I think he was exagerating. Where in Thailand do you live?

January 4th 2006? The year Siam Paragon opened on Jan 1st and my wife insisted we drive instead of taking the skytrain. Starving when i got there and the place was so busy i was unable to get a seat in ANY restaurant to eat. I got straight back in the car and headed home leaving the wife and daughter there.

I was a really happy go lucky guy that day.

4 1/2 hours from Thong Lo to parking the car.

I rarely drive in bangkok for just that reason. My worst case at home was stuck behind some cows for more than 2 minutes. It made me soooo mad :o

A friend of mine lived in Texas and he had tales of cattle drives that never seemed to end. I think he was exagerating. Where in Thailand do you live?

Chaiyaphum. Head north, get to the middle of nowhere and it's another 35km

January 4th 2006? The year Siam Paragon opened on Jan 1st and my wife insisted we drive instead of taking the skytrain. Starving when i got there and the place was so busy i was unable to get a seat in ANY restaurant to eat. I got straight back in the car and headed home leaving the wife and daughter there.

I was a really happy go lucky guy that day.

4 1/2 hours from Thong Lo to parking the car.

That is funny!

How far north of Bangkok?

BTW, once when I was driving in Florida I actually came across a cattle crossing.

How far north of Bangkok?

BTW, once when I was driving in Florida I actually came across a cattle crossing.

+/- 320km

The longest was when the Asian summit was happening and Bush as arriving at Don Muang that was like 3 hours and the other was 2 1/2 hours at wireless road by the British embassy and that was worse in my opinion as I was feeling a little of the Bangkok belly and liked to keep options open as in the nearest gas station for a bathroom. :o

the way to the airport was terrible today. i got there so late for my flight i couldnt check my bags in!

fortuner (could be wrong, but a big 4 wheel drive thing) was completely crushed by a 6 wheel truck. the fortuner was a mass of twisted metal and god knows how many were killed in it.

6 hours in 1997, going from Silom to Don Mueang for a 23:30 flight to London at Xmas/New Year when all the non-resident Thai's were headed home for the holidays. Got half way to the airport and abandoned the idea.

That is a record!

Ashamedly, yes it should be and the car was a Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza limo and the hotel said that leaving the hotel by 7pm for a 23:30 flight would give me oodles of time! But there again, that was 1997 and my extra two nights in BKK was not wasted.

Reading these posts makes me soooo glad I don't live in BKK. Ok, I know that living there must have its compensations but traffic like that would just piss me off big time. When I feel in need of that city feeling, I just head into Khon Kaen. I like to live in the sticks with a smallish city nearby. Same in the UK too, now I come to think of it.

Sonkran this year. Drove from Bangkok to Samet within 2.5 hours. Coming of the main rd. towards the pier all hel_l broke loose! 3 hrs to take me from the main rd. to the pier. And its only a 2 km stretch... Well, at least I had my car washed.

I used to spend 30 to 45 minutes daily to get through the Vipavadi Rangsit and Lad Prao / Pahonyothin junction at rush hour before the flyovers were built.

More recently- I have spent almost 50 minutes trying to turn right from Thong Lor to Sukhumvit on a rainy Friday night.

Of course, whenever a VIP is on the move all traffic waits for her or him. I live off Charoenkrung near Silom. Yesterday one of the Royals was on her way to The Oriental; all traffic within a couple of blocks everywhere from The Oriental was cleared for 15 minutes. Last year a lot of foreign big wigs were in town for an international meeting. Many of them stayed at The Oriental....so for about a week it was decidedly faster to walk to the Skytrain.

• 3 weeks later...

Mid 90s traffic in Bangkok was a totally different beast to the traffic today. Last few years of the Asian Economic Miracle so loads of cars, no sky train, no underground, fewer expressways and relatively much more expensive tolls so fewer used them, no coordinated traffic signals and the road widenings, tunnels, changes in lane directions hadn't been worked out.

It wasn't unusual to grind to a halt and not move for 3-4 hours at a time. I used to have to get out of the car and go to the nearest shop house by the side of the road to ask to use the toilet.

People used to stay in the office until 9 p.m. drinking and eating together to avoid the traffic.

Nobody would give anyone a lift anywhere as you could get stuck at any time in any place and possibly not move for hours.

The longest I was ever stuck in traffic was over 6 hours. And I was just going from Hyatt Erawan to Sukhumvit 13