Prosecutors Vow To Arrest Thaksin Upon His Return To Thailand

george

Thaksin pledges an oath of royalist

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra issued a two page statement reaffirming his loyalty to the monarchy, his legal adviser Noppadon Patama said on Friday.

"Thaksin swore an oath before the sacredness and Phra Siam Thewathirat (the country's guardian angel) pledging his undying loyalty to the monarchy and willing to have his family condemned if he went back on his word," Noppadon said from the statement.

He said Thaksin devoted a major portion of his statement to rebut the allegation that he was not a royalist.

In regard to speculation that Thaksin was the puppet master behind the forming of the next government, he said People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej was in charge of the matter as Thaksin was abroad and had no involvement in politics due to his fiveyear ban.

He said Thaksin's decision to return to his homeland would not waver because of the Thursday's assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto in Rawalpindi.

"Thaksin is still determined to clear his charges in accordance with the judicial proceedings," he said, ruling out the concern for safety on grounds that the Thai situation differed from that prevailing in Pakistan.

Thaksin's statement is seen as a reaction to the fivepoint demand by the two parties, Chart Thai and Puea Pandin, as a precondition to join the People Powerled coalition.

The five preconditions are the reverence of the monarchy; the refrain from disrespecting General Prem Tinsulanonda, present of the Privy Council and elder statesman; no reprisals; Thaksin's return to face due process and no meddling with the work of the Assets Examination Committee.

Source: The Nation - 28 December 2007

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can it be right in a country of such abject poverty

Which part of thailand do you live?

Compare it with countries like Nepal, bangladesh and even india and you will find lower standards of living. Even most of Africa is has more poor people, although even then I wouldn't say most of them have 'abject poverty'.

willing to have his family condemned if he went back on his word, :o

Nice to know he considers his family is expendable, along with everyone else. :D

The five preconditions are the reverence of the monarchy; the refrain from disrespecting General Prem Tinsulanonda, present of the Privy Council and elder statesman; no reprisals; Thaksin's return to face due process and no meddling with the work of the Assets Examination Committee.[/quote]

It seems like everyone is making promises they probably won't keep.

Such is the desperation for a place at the trough. :D

I think it's pretty clear why *some* vocal 'Farangs' never liked Thaksin: The bar closing & social order campaign from one of the factions in TRT.

That's it, and only it.

Personally I agree with a lot of those measures, and by God you need only look around in certain areas to realize that a tightening of visa rules was VERY NECESSARY. First of all a lot of them were primarily aimed at curbing the influx of illegal Burmese and Laotians; any Westerner with a legitimate reason to stay in Thailand was completely unaffected.

In fact, ALL the rules that actually hurt legitimate visitors and tourists came about under the Military junta, along with everything else they messed up. For example the need to show a return AIR ticket upon entry to Thailand; that screws tourism as people typically spend time in Thailand, then Laos, Cambodia, etc and finally leave again from Thailand, but more than 30 days after their initial entry.

Again, I think all visa / immigration laws enacted under TRT made total sense.

... Oh wait, yes... ... bar closing. :o

(BTW, excellent posts by Rainman!!! Happy to see you join the discussion)

But don't you think closing the bars early is a serious crime?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/style_emotic...ult/biggrin.gif[/img]. This senseless Thaksin hate is disgustingsad.gif, I was never a friend of him. But as long somebody is not convicted he has to be regarded as innocent. And "they" tried really hard (By the way he was rich before he went into politics). I'm happy that those bloggers have no vote ( I think mostly Pattaya Brits which have no idea of Thailand). Give me an honest farmer any day. They are not so stupid as the so called educated middle class are thinking. Lets hope the economy gets back on track and some body made have learned a lesson.

Didi

What have Brits got to do with it? Clearly you are steroetyping a nationality from some of those that you may have met in Pataya. Your naivety to the political situation in Thailand is refreshing, but very misinformed.

I think you need to have a further read about how Thaksin became rich before he came into politics. Rather suspicious. The fact that he is not "convicted" yet, is pretty irellevant, when there is a raft of dubious things leading to his doorstep ranging from, human rights abuses, corruption, fraud and tax evasion. I'm sorry, but I think there is a significant smell coming from the Thaksin family, and it isn't nice.

Edited by mrtoad

The PPP has defeated the military coup-backed Democratic Party. Yes, you are correct, that is the same military responsible for the deaths at Tak Bai. How could someone genuinely care about Tak Bai and support the military's and military patsies continued involvement with Thai politics?

would you really expect that thaksin and company will go to the south to deal with the tak bai incident? of course not, the military are the operating arm and they will just obey orders from the top.

the military coup? of course, they have enough of thaksin.

So you think thaksin was there watching at the television instructing the soldiers at tak bai,"right kick, turny kick yes! left punch.... "and so and so? While holding a glass of beer?

The Thai economy performed far better under the rural people's chosen party TRT than it did under the coup or the pro-coup Democrat Party. The supposedly educated Bankokians don't seem to make the best choices when it comes to economics and development.

thaksin was just in the right time when he was installed. the thai economy was booming after the '97 asian crisis and any government would have done the same.

Of course, that is a valid point to some degree. A major difference is that TRT was able to sustain the economic boom longer than the 12-32 month average length of time of other Thai governments.

good for him. and actually he is trying to stay longer than that. if you remember, he was plotting his own coup while he was in the US for the UN meeting. a week before the coup 2 boeing left don mueang airport as reported that TG full of thaksin's luggages that only him knows what is inside. his families left for singapore days before the coup. he knows about the coup, his own coup, but what he didn't knew was the military were also planning a coup against his coup and they did a day earlier of thaksin's coup.

How did you find the abiltiy to witness so many things in person? How many boxes did you count? At what time did you know about thaksin's own coup? What was his facial expression? One more thing, David Copperfield flew across the Grand Canyon the other day.

It's amazing people are talking about things in a manner like they saw everything happened. They are all just bloody media news and if they are even 10% true and accurate you can start going to the fortune teller to ask him how to be rich.

The PPP has defeated the military coup-backed Democratic Party. Yes, you are correct, that is the same military responsible for the deaths at Tak Bai. How could someone genuinely care about Tak Bai and support the military's and military patsies continued involvement with Thai politics?

would you really expect that thaksin and company will go to the south to deal with the tak bai incident? of course not, the military are the operating arm and they will just obey orders from the top.

the military coup? of course, they have enough of thaksin.

So you think thaksin was there watching at the television instructing the soldiers at tak bai,"right kick, turny kick yes! left punch.... "and so and so? While holding a glass of beer?

:o i thought you knew that you should think deeper that this. my apologies if my post wasn't clear to you...

AHRCHK - as I said, rather naive. Believe me, the military didn't just sit around wondering what father Thaksin wanted them to do next.

The military must be held reponsible for the military's behaviour and coup's just don't achieve this. Thaksin was clearly not the commander in chief of the Thai military.

These people sit there dreaming all day and don't really see how things are done daily.

I bet they expect thaksin to be giving them orders like how many kgs of force you are supposed to use.

AHRCHK - as I said, rather naive. Believe me, the military didn't just sit around wondering what father Thaksin wanted them to do next.

the point is, he was the PM and could have done better dealing with the situation. he could punish the military for such incident but he didn't. his response was to send more troops. don't you think that as PM he should be responsible for all activities carried our by his government? hitler wouldn't say "my military did it, not me" or?

Now you really thought thaksin was a superman just coz he was PM, didn't you?

Not even Sadaam Husein had that power! Please be more realistic.

Thaksin not afraid to return home: Noppadon

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's decision to return to his homeland would not waver because of the Thursday's assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto in Rawalpindi, his legal adviser Noppadon Patama said on Friday.

"Thaksin is still determined to clear his charges in accordance with the judicial proceedings," he said, ruling out the concern for safety on grounds that the Thai situation differed from that prevailing in Pakistan.

Source: The Nation - 28 December 2007

The Thai economy performed far better under the rural people's chosen party TRT than it did under the coup or the pro-coup Democrat Party. The supposedly educated Bankokians don't seem to make the best choices when it comes to economics and development.

thaksin was just in the right time when he was installed. the thai economy was booming after the '97 asian crisis and any government would have done the same.

Of course, that is a valid point to some degree. A major difference is that TRT was able to sustain the economic boom longer than the 12-32 month average length of time of other Thai governments.

good for him. and actually he is trying to stay longer than that. if you remember, he was plotting his own coup while he was in the US for the UN meeting. a week before the coup 2 boeing left don mueang airport as reported that TG full of thaksin's luggages that only him knows what is inside. his families left for singapore days before the coup. he knows about the coup, his own coup, but what he didn't knew was the military were also planning a coup against his coup and they did a day earlier of thaksin's coup.

How did you find the abiltiy to witness so many things in person? How many boxes did you count? At what time did you know about thaksin's own coup? What was his facial expression? One more thing, David Copperfield flew across the Grand Canyon the other day.

It's amazing people are talking about things in a manner like they saw everything happened. They are all just bloody media news and if they are even 10% true and accurate you can start going to the fortune teller to ask him how to be rich.

your reply was really helpful... may i ask you one thing? how come you don't know anything? PEACE

Edited by thai_narak

the point is, he was the PM and could have done better dealing with the situation. he could punish the military for such incident but he didn't. his response was to send more troops. don't you think that as PM he should be responsible for all activities carried our by his government? hitler wouldn't say "my military did it, not me" or?

Hitler was clearly in control of his troops, as apparently is George Bush. Thaksin clearly was not in control of the military and in no position to punish them. The Tak Bai situation was carried out by the Thai military. No, I don't think that Thaksin or Bhutto or Ang Sang Su Khi (sp) should be responsible for what the military juntas do to their countries.

i'm sorry, but what is your point? do you really think that thaksin has nothing to do with all the killings and human rights abuses in thailand during his tenure? sorry man, i cannot stomach this discussion so let's go back to the main topic.

happy new year to you...

It is not about him having or not having to do with human right abuses. It is just not everything was under the control of one human being even if it meant he didn't even sleep at night.

i'm posting in this thread to share my views, if you are here posting criticising one's views please go away and mind your own thing. i hope you have a pleasant new year.

without going through all the posts on this thread, shouldn't someone let these people know that Toxin robbed the thai people, don't they realise he has billions and yes he gave a few handouts of a few 100baht,what a crazy situation, can you imagine the UK with poverty throughout and Tony Blare heading off with Billions of pounds and able to take it out of the country, they may have got rid of toxin but his fllowers equally corrupt are back, why don't the powers that be let the people here know what is going on - in plain understanable lingo, they are being Fleeced

Not every billionaire is a robber. Not saying Thaksin hasn't taken some money here and there, but if someone has a billion dollars, my hat off to him, he worked hard for his money (unless she/he inherited like Paris Hilton). We may as well attack Bill Gates or the Sultan of Brunei for not giving away all their billions to poor people.

rainman, i know that deep inside of you you know dam_n well what we are talking about thaksin and his TRT and now PPP as you've been in this forum for quite a while now.

yes, not every billionaire is a robber but not all of them politicians too. thaksin could have done better being a normal citizen/businessman but being a billionaire is not enough for people like him, thaksin wants POWER - money and power. by being in power he can influence anything for his own interests. the land deal by his wife, the shincorp deal, the dummy companies, tax evasion, to name a few clearly shows this intent. one word for him, GREED.

thaksin has no respect for human life. the extra-judicial killings on war on drugs, do you really think that all that have been killed were druglords? maybe most, and maybe some were falsely accused but they were shoot to kill. more than 3,000 people end up dead, innocent or not nobody knows. the tak bai incident of which more that 85 people end up dead, the answer from thaksin after the incident was to send more troops in the south. the military acted as such because it was tolerated.

you might not be aware as i am until he was ousted that thaksin was also accused of insulting the monarchy ie. getting rid of some signs symbolising the monarchy like the garuda that you see in banks and government establishments and offices, there was also one instance that the garuda seal in some of the thai ID cards that were issued when he was in power was missing but thaksin have denied any knowledge of this. there are many more incidents that most thai people believed that thaksin was trying to do something that cannot be mentioned here. although his spokesman clearly said that he has SOME loyalty to the King. what do they mean by the word some?

what's next? thaksin will be on the sidelines, he will be the master of a puppet government and will continue to influence anything he wants and protect his own personal interests. what about the poor? the poor will remain poor, their debts will pile up while thaksin and his cronies will remain rich. they will, however, continue to show the poor that they care because these people are their capital to stay in power. business is business for Dr. Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra as we watch Thailand and its people to self destruct. is this what we really want?

Great post only for one thing..................in Thailand "money is power"

Can you tell me one place on earth where this "money is power" is not true?

i'm posting in this thread to share my views, if you are here posting criticising one's views please go away and mind your own thing. i hope you have a pleasant new year.

sorry sorry

:o happy new year too.

" ... may i ask you one thing? how come you don't know anything? "

And once again we farangs indicate why we have the intellectual acumen to participate in political discourse but the Thai peasants don't.

Edited by blaze

I am stunned at the arogance of some posters on this site. A country has voted, the result is declared, and yet you still continue to wine.

Months ago, some of the very same posters I am sure, were complaining about the lack of democracy in the country when the military flexed their muscles. Now it has played its course, you are still not happy....and to blaim a result on the 'uneducated rural people' is just pure ignorance. To have a result that took into account just the views of the 'haves' in the city whilst ignoring the 'have nots' in the country, now that would be a sad day.

Just as a reminder, this is how it works........people vote, the votes are counted and then there is a winner......Live With It?

... And people that blatantly cheat the system for their own worth should be thrown in jail.

Oh, hang on....

Same question, different day, same answer...

Supporting the military coup on account of the military killings at Tak Bai is a bit odd at best.
I hold Bush responsible for the Iraqi Debacle... it is no different.

I've held Thaksin responsible ever since it occured and years before any coup.

Prosecute all that were connected with Tak Bai, starting at top and working down.

In the end, we can debate all we want. It won't change a thing. We should just sit back and enjoy the show and hope we don't get hit by the stray bullets.

That will be a legitimate concern when the new Interior Minister Chalerm begins his avowed Killing Fields War on Drugs, ver. 3.0

What's going to be the innocent death toll goal this time around? 3,000? 5,000?

And how much popularity will it garner? 70%? 80%? Or will it be even more popular than it was last time?

Sadly an element of truth in this. :o

Suggestion : why not have the bread-and-circuses directed towards a war to change the regime in Burma ? This would nobble a traditional enemy while also garnering favourable world opinion for Thailand. And also actually help the poor people of Burma. But would the Thai military be up-to-it ?

I can't believe my eyes while reading through this thread... so many people, educated in the west, used to rules, to laws, to punishment if one doesn't follow them...

Condoning at will these wrongdoers with arguments like: "was the (ousted) Government any more corrupt then the previous?"

"Mr.T. didn't do anything wrong..."

"The economy was thriving"

"he did a lot of good for the rural poor.."

even bringing up "Enron", because others are doing wrong, his and his cronies wrongdoings are O.K. (????????)

So I can shoot someone and argue that so many have been shot already and therefor it got be alright and far from wrong!

This concept sounds to me like the polemics xactly this guy and his entourage are using over and over again!

yes it's all as true as his "memoirs" which were floating in the north and north-east, where it says...that he has grown up in a temple sleeping on just a mat..."

"Honest lies..."

And he simply "forgot" how rich he really was...

How much more cynical can things get?

Edited by Samuian

Post script or final thought a la Jerry S to above post

That is something that I cannot understand why everyone who has lived here for several years cannot grasp (though indeed most seem to)

Frankly I think Thaksin hit a sour note with the expat population when he let loose morals man 'Purachai'. Now the strait mans main job was coralling those out of control thai teens but their was a carryover effect and farang establishments came in for a barracking. My god I don't know of how many nights I had to listen to howls, jeers and gnashing of teeth from a seriously angry expat mob at my local watering hole. Dimming the lights of Sodom and Gomorroh ! Thems fighting words mate!

I remember this when I run into these rabid Thaksins haters who have lived here "for several years" as you say. Is it because Thakisn is a corrupt politician, or because he threatened their private sandbox, they dislike him so ?

There's 1001 reasons to despise Thaksin that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Purachai's Social Order crusade.

A little on the conservative side aren,t you, S.J. :o:D

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags