Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Is It Only Farangs Who Moan About Their Internet Connection

Mumbo Jumbo

Day after day there’s some one here posting about a problem they are having with an internet connection

In one form or another, my self included. Is it only the Farangs who are un happy with the constant and

Un predictable poor internet services offered in Thailand, or do you know any Thai’s who feel just as un happy

as us farangs ..?

Thanks................. :o

I only know 2 thai households with internet connections. One plays online java games and the other only uses email. I never hear them complain. But then again i never hear them complain about anything. If they don't have internet then they get on with something else.

I love my connection... but I am an IT person so I can optimize when needed. I live in Chiang Mai thailand and I have a 1.5 meg connection to the net.... which gives me voip, television, radio, email, ..... my office, my money... believe me... I thank God for my internet connection. It allows me to live the life I want where I want. Yes, I am a farang!!!

JetsetBkk …I was just wondering if some where there’s a Thai forum and may be some Thai internet users were posting their views on the same subject, and what their comments were , or are Thai internet users here in Thailand just as fed up with the poor service, but just keep quiet about it ..? so what's your views on the subject ..?

Thanks

My fiance bitches and moans about it constantly. But I think she blames me for slowing the net down (Probably right though :o ), I'm always downloading something. Makes me close all my downloads when she has a project to do.

But she moans even more when it isn't my fault and there is a problem with the line. She has integrated the word "motherf***ers" into her vocab and constantly uses it when referring to True...

I have a Thai technician at the university I asked about his connection. He has a Maxnet 256k and said he was happy about it, all he can afford. However, whenever his torrent downloads at the lab come to a grinding halt, he doesn't hesitate to complain to me - as network manager. :o

The answer isn't that easy.

But I do believe that the Farangs would complaining anyway much much more than Thais because the Farangs using mainly international connection while Thais using locals! And that is a big difference!

Local connection maily very good while international didn't! Thailand didn't has enough international bandwith and it's the lack of speed/bandwith which slows down the international connections!

On the other hand many of the complaints coming from the user which haven't the technical knowledge to solve a lot of that problems they facing!

I for my own person don't having problem and I using TRUE! But I know how to solve problems if they occurs!

Sister in law is a Thai teacher of English at one of the local schools.

She is fed up with the service provided by the local providers.

She was happy for a while when her school got a satellite link but even this has just about expired lately.

Yes the locals do complain and are cheesed off with the sad state of affairs.

We have multiple connections at our home, 4 different providers, and still I cannot point my finger on who is bad. Most of the time, if I read, this or that is down I can still use the same websites with the same provider. So most I blame on users mistakes, one example is that users pickup DNS information from sources other then the official one, then the provider changes the DNS server and 50% of the web is not working.... Then the big words this provider is so bad, forgetting they changed some official settings to not supported setup by the ISP

By the current law, any provider cannot block any websites without a legal court order, this is not effective for secondary servers, it is any ISP free to block any access to any server offering services which compromise there security. Some Thai ISP's see alternative DNS server as so a treat....and have the right to block access...

I am a European pure Asian stationing here in Thailand for University Studies in International college somewhere in Nonthaburi. I have Thai blood as well as Indonesian with German Citizenship..... Ha, ha, ha... Yes and I am one of those foreigners who is pissed off from time to time with the Internet service , nice to meet you guys....

I know some Thais who have used the internet in other countries, and use it here when they're here, and they will comment on it being a lot better elsewhere, but they won't complain because it's still a lot better than it used to be here.

In comparison I complain about the speed of the internet in the UK - where I only have a 24Mb connection, which only actually gets about 15Mb (too far from the exchange). This is because I got spoiled 2 years ago when I was in Tokyo, and I had 100Mbps up AND down on fibre. (Japan - the land where the AVERAGE home internet connection is over 60Mbps).

I have been living in Germany and there a basic flat rate for about 1300 Baht are 16mb/s. Comparing that with Thailand is like being in the stoneage. I guess most Thais don't know any better and that's why they don't complain as much.

I have the biggest and best package true offers and still have some problems with Skype around 7 - 8 o'clock when so many people are going online. That's just not right but probably because of the TAT bottleneck (which is not right in the first place).

I did realize that reconnecting actually makes my connection better for a certain amount of time though.

Yep, you need to go to a Thai forum to see Thais moan, and Thais tend to moan a lot. The most obvious place to read these posts is probably www.adslthailand.com.

Me, I don't need a 100mbit connection. I don't need a 15mbit connection. I just need a 1-2mbit connection that can actually deliver 1-2mbits consistently.

I'm considering the CAT Hinet GSHDSL 2mbit premium connection. I hope that it will be better than what I've had before (basically, pretty much anything that actually delivers will be better).

The answer isn't that easy.

But I do believe that the Farangs would complaining anyway much much more than Thais because the Farangs using mainly international connection while Thais using locals! And that is a big difference!

Local connection maily very good while international didn't! Thailand didn't has enough international bandwith and it's the lack of speed/bandwith which slows down the international connections!

On the other hand many of the complaints coming from the user which haven't the technical knowledge to solve a lot of that problems they facing!

I for my own person don't having problem and I using TRUE! But I know how to solve problems if they occurs!

Maybe you can help me?

Please see this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160657

That's probably the case. Thais don't complain about anything except in hushed tones amongst themselves. The phone companies (and therefore the government) are too big and threatening to argue with. Most Thais don't have the (extra) money required to get the job done. Once these companies have your money they're not interested in whether or not you are satisfied.

Personally, my tt&t connection (2Mb/s) is generally quite quick for http traffic...BUT...they are blocking VOIP so I can't call PC to PC any more. But what alternatives are there? Take it or leave it!

The Thai absolutely beat farangs in the number of complaints about IPstar. My Thai partner watches the Thai forums regularly and he thinks the farang actually form a minority.

I'm considering the CAT Hinet GSHDSL 2mbit premium connection. I hope that it will be better than what I've had before (basically, pretty much anything that actually delivers will be better).

I can recommend it. This graph is from last week (CAT g.shdsl line on Samui), uploading 3 torrents internationally with upload speeds of over 1Mbps

Can there really be large numbers of Thai internet users who suffer the daily problems and frustrations as much as Farangs do, with the poor services being offered here in Thailand, and they sit just at their computers day in day out putting up with all the crap thats being served up . And as some one pointed out there are forums full of un happy Thai internet users all moaning like farangs do . Does any one think there will come a day when the providers of Internet services will take note of their own country men and God forbid offer real service and good value for once

while I am ranting on , When looking at the Bangkok Post Database supplement , I just read with total amazement some of the constant weekly articles about how Thailand is a Hub for this new technological system, and has just implemented this new communication net work, or how this new wonderful high speed system will do this, and how you can download this new application , or run your business world wide on this new Hub in Thailand .. come on guy's smell the coffee in the real Thailand

super high way kitchen ... offer a real decent internet service for Mr joe public and Mr Somchai and then lets start to talk Hubs.

ranting over ... :o

The Thai absolutely beat farangs in the number of complaints about IPstar. My Thai partner watches the Thai forums regularly and he thinks the farang actually form a minority.

I can recommend it. This graph is from last week (CAT g.shdsl line on Samui), uploading 3 torrents internationally with upload speeds of over 1Mbps

The speed has seriously gone downhill over the last week or two, like seriously. I'm on CAT Hinet g.shdsl premium on bangkok (and also have access to a litepack, the more expensive static ip account)..

Day after day there’s some one here posting about a problem they are having with an internet connection

In one form or another, my self included. Is it only the Farangs who are un happy with the constant and

Un predictable poor internet services offered in Thailand, or do you know any Thai’s who feel just as un happy

as us farangs ..?

Hi

Becourse they have never ever tried fast internet in Thailand, and it will take years before they try, my friend in Europe has a 20MB line now, and thats up and down. This will maybe come to Thailand year 2590 maybe.

as us farangs ..?

Hi

Becourse they have never ever tried fast internet in Thailand, and it will take years before they try, my friend in Europe has a 20MB line now, and thats up and down. This will maybe come to Thailand year 2590 maybe.

B.E. or A.D. ?

What do people think can be done? is the censorship filtering here a contributing factor and could there be a better way to do it and speed up access? What about the cost of international capacity? Is there a problem with backhaul costs from the exchange to the internet connection point? Is the quality of the last mile copper/wireless links sufficient? Interested to read what people think.