New Computer

Patriciachas

Hi :-)

Well, it depends on your budget and what you're looking for. I'd suggest you start by checking out the 3 or 4 computer malls that run along the north side of the moat (computer plaza, etc). There's also Pantip plaza over on Thanon Changklan (south end of the Night Bazaar). Or if you're after a Mac, head over to the Mac Shop (3rd floor at Central Airport Plaza). There's a big IT shop at Central Kad Suan Kaew called IT City, but I personally don't rate it - the staff there seem quite uninterested in their customers and a lot of their stock is not exactly cutting edge (some of it's blatantly overpriced too).

For excellent prices on kit I've found another IT mall (can't remember the name off the top of my head but it's marked on the Nancy Chandler map) off the superhighway (right hand side coming up from Nimmanhemin heading clockwise around). Not great for parking but I got some great deals from the shops there.

Before you go, decide what you want and then find out what the prices are online for what you're looking for. If you don't know lots about computers, take along a friend who does :-) (I do this at least once a month for some friend or other who's off to buy a computer as I hate to see them get ripped off or buy the wrong thing).

HTH :o

big difference between desktops and notebooks. also big difference between older, less powerful notebooks and newer ones.

an important thing that not many people realize is that if you're just doing simple things like email, word processing and internet surfing you really don't need a powerful machine. you haven't indicated your experience level but it would really behoove you to take a friend along shopping who really knows about computers.

questions:

1) do you want a desktop or a laptop?

2) what kinds of things will you use it for?

3) is price a big issue?

Any tips on best place in CM to get a new computer

I have mine put together for me by a shop in Computer Plaza. Second floor, first on the left when you come up the front steps. I tell him what I want, he puts it all together. The price is always right.

You biggest concern should be; what will you use it for? If you most common tasks are text related you can get a very good machine at a very low price. I have no need of a sound card. You might find that to be of extreme importance for your needs! Everyone has different requirements.

As your need for graphics or games increases, so do the demands upon the computer's inner workings. 95% of what I do is with very large graphic images, 50M-100M being common for me. I need a powerful processor, powerful graphics card, two DVD writers, lots of RAM memory, (right now I'm using 4G and am going to double that next week!) and two internal hard drives, 360G each, plus an external of 250G. I use two towers simultaneously, similarly set up, connected to one monitor. Not exactly a portable setup. My wife has a little bitty notebook computer that handles everything she needs to do perfectly. Before you buy anything, figure out what YOU need to do with your computer.

Hi, I'm a Systems and Network Engineer from Australia, now living in Chiang Mai. I can design and build a computer to exactly fit whatever your requirements are. I can also repair any computer or network fault, install wired and wireless networks... just about anything to do with computers. If I can help anyone just PM me. I'm not as cheap as a local but you'll be able to talk to me :o and my work is top notch. when I fix a computer, it STAYS fixed

Cheers,

James

Edited by warfie

Is ordering online from dell.com or hp.com an option in LOS?

W.Pannee

Pannee Wanichwattanavorachai (Ann)

Account Manager Dell Corporation (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

22nd Fl., Empire Tower, 195 South Sathorn Rd.,

Yannawa, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120, Thailand.

Tel. 02-670-7200 Ext. 2650

Fax: 02-670-0029-30

MB: 086-908-2255

Mail To : [email protected]

I personally feel its not in one's best interest to buy computers (let alone electronics) in Thailand. When visiting home I bought my wife a nice laptop (c2d cpu, 2gb mem, 256mb videocard, glassy screen etc) with 2 year accidental drop (if she drops it I get a new one free) it cost me 35,000 baht. Something similar would cost me 60K+ here, without the warranty...

I have had friends recieve laptops and no tax, and other people be taxed to hel_l. If you plan to visit home, try to make do w/o until you can get there.

btw dell outlet is amazing, also check out www.dealnews.com