'unbreakable' Road Law

2long

The laws on Thailand's roads seem to be there for the breaking. No licence or registration? No problem. Drive drunk, or the wrong way, or both. Put anyone, anything or any animal on any vehicle. Crash helmets can be bought at party shops. Parking? Don't get me started...

However, there is one law that I have so far (in 9 years) never noticed to be broken. To be honest, I don't even know if it's a law, but they all adhere to it. And guess what, it involves the safety of other road users.

Can you guess what it is?

The laws on Thailand's roads seem to be there for the breaking. No licence or registration? No problem. Drive drunk, or the wrong way, or both. Put anyone, anything or any animal on any vehicle. Crash helmets can be bought at party shops. Parking? Don't get me started...

However, there is one law that I have so far (in 9 years) never noticed to be broken. To be honest, I don't even know if it's a law, but they all adhere to it. And guess what, it involves the safety of other road users.

Can you guess what it is?

Riding ten up going the wrong way in the inside lane on a water buffalo would be about the only thing i cannot recall seeing so far. But that could happen the next time i venture out on the sukhumvit! :o

No, it's the cute little red rag on anything hanging off the back of a pick up.

Come on, guys, find (and photograph) one who doesn't do it.

And, while you are at it, photograph one that does do it. I don't recall anything more than an old plastic bag being tied to any overhanging load.

Haha, yeah, true. But half the time the flag is totally superfluous. Like coming up behind an ancient ISUZU truck at night, obscenely overloaded with sugar cane, no lights working BUT a little red flag flapping gamely in the breeze. Safety first, right? :o

Edited by micksterbs

Driving while farang?

Been fined a few times for that.. :o

Hmm, know what you mean. Luckily, I usually have TW with me so some rapid-fire Isan goes back-and-forth, the guy salutes and we carry on. Only been "fined" once and on that occasion I was on my own and, to be fair, had been going over the limit so fair cop.

Pedestrians NEVER,NEVER,NEVER have the right of way!!

Jeez no, they're right down at the end of the food chain. I don't know why they bother to even paint pedestrian crossings on the road. You'll probably find that the company that makes the white paint is owned by the brother of some minister or other. Allegedly...

You may well jest about having the car blessed by the monks, but this actually saves you upwards of 15,000 baht per year on insurance, as theres no way you're going to have an accident with those magic splodges on the roof lining.