Offshore Workers

I am a British passport holder working in Dubai with a residence permit. I work one month on and then get on month off. I would like to live in Thailand during my month off. Is the visa I need the non immigration "O"? Is it limited in the amount of times I can come and go from the country, being that I have to arrive and depart every 30 days? And I assume that since I am a resident of UAE I can apply for visa in Dubai?

I am a British passport holder working in Dubai with a residence permit. I work one month on and then get on month off. I would like to live in Thailand during my month off. Is the visa I need the non immigration "O"? Is it limited in the amount of times I can come and go from the country, being that I have to arrive and depart every 30 days? And I assume that since I am a resident of UAE I can apply for visa in Dubai?

A Multi entry Non Imm O would be ideal but do you have a reason that would qualify you to apply. To qualify you would need to have Thai family or other reason. If you can get one you are allowed to enter as many times as you wish for a period of 12 months

You should be able to enter for 30 days on a visa free entry but your schedule may fall foul of the regulation that you cannot enter for more than a total of 90 days in any 6 month period so you may have to get one tourist visa per year from the Thai consulate in Dubai.

Proximity,

I work in the middle east too. Now i have a non imm 'o' visa. But before this year i relied on 30 day tourist visas. I did this for nearly 7 years. You get 30 days for each visa and i guess you include travelling days as part of your time off so you should never overstay your visa.

Basically, just go, get your tourist visa when you arrive (free) and have a good holiday.

Nidge

Proximity,

I work in the middle east too. Now i have a non imm 'o' visa. But before this year i relied on 30 day tourist visas. I did this for nearly 7 years. You get 30 days for each visa and i guess you include travelling days as part of your time off so you should never overstay your visa.

Basically, just go, get your tourist visa when you arrive (free) and have a good holiday.

Nidge

Yes but the first time a job gets delayed a week, or your injured or sick, or for any other reason in Thailand more then your month (minus travel) off you have a problem, and being out on rigs doesnt make it an easy one to fix.

Consider getting a non imm O from a friendly consul for security.

The problem with a tourist visa is that sometimes I do not always report to the same location. For this reason they do not buy my airline ticket to return to work until a few days before. This means that entering Thailand I have no outbound airline.

Another problem with using the visa exempt entry too..

The problem with a tourist visa is that sometimes I do not always report to the same location. For this reason they do not buy my airline ticket to return to work until a few days before. This means that entering Thailand I have no outbound airline.

Hi, I been doing it since this new law came in.

If your working 28 and 28 then in any 6 months period you will be out of the country for 90 days, as you will be traveling 2 days so your out for 32 or 33 days and in Thailand for 25 days, so in 6 months you will be well within the 90 days. I am 3 x 25 days every 6 months in the country 75 days - out 105 days.

Other alternative is and only if you want because you dont need to, is to get a non immigrant o as i have , but dont need it, i just get pulled up at the airport so much while they are counting days in days out, it was pissing me off. you need 800,000 in a Thailand bank - baht, get a note from your emplyer to say you work 28 days in Dubai and live 28 in Thailand, if he can also get your employers accountant to explain that you earn shit loads of dosh ( monthy salary blown in piss and other hehe) and no doubt you do (earn alot), take that, your bank book your passport and that should be enough, but if you got another note from your laywer in Thailand to say you are nice guy and pay your bills , or if you have a house or own land with THai people or have a bar with this paper work youll get this visa easy.

it will take 3 days at the Thai embassy Dubai, drop it off with them, go out on the rig and get your office staff in town to collect it for you and send it out to the rig.

Bobs your uncle.

and you dont need return ticket to enter Thailand, i had never needed one ever, month in month out 5 years now, just got my non immigrant last hitch for above season.

PM me if you need more clarification, pr want see what my company wrote so yours can copy, but if your constant 28 and 28 your cool, if you do and extra week in 6 months your still cool

If your working 28 and 28 then in any 6 months period you will be out of the country for 90 days, as you will be traveling 2 days so your out for 32 or 33 days and in Thailand for 25 days, so in 6 months you will be well within the 90 days. I am 3 x 25 days every 6 months in the country 75 days - out 105 days.

Other alternative is and only if you want because you dont need to, is to get a non immigrant o as i have , but dont need it, i just get pulled up at the airport so much while they are counting days in days out, it was pissing me off. you need 800,000 in a Thailand bank - baht, get a note from your emplyer to say you work 28 days in Dubai and live 28 in Thailand, if he can also get your employers accountant to explain that you earn shit loads of dosh ( monthy salary blown in piss and other hehe) and no doubt you do (earn alot), take that, your bank book your passport and that should be enough, but if you got another note from your laywer in Thailand to say you are nice guy and pay your bills , or if you have a house or own land with THai people or have a bar with this paper work youll get this visa easy.

it will take 3 days at the Thai embassy Dubai, drop it off with them, go out on the rig and get your office staff in town to collect it for you and send it out to the rig.

Bobs your uncle.

and you dont need return ticket to enter Thailand, i had never needed one ever, month in month out 5 years now, just got my non immigrant last hitch for above season.

PM me if you need more clarification, pr want see what my company wrote so yours can copy, but if your constant 28 and 28 your cool, if you do and extra week in 6 months your still cool

Like the previous post, work in the offshore industry, live in thailand. Do 4 weeks on/off, previously came and went on the 30day TV for near enough three years.

Knowing you are okay for the 90 day in any 180 period does not make you feel any better at immigration when they are adding up your days from all the stamps in your passport?

(Have to add, I go to and fro Singapore going offshore so it may look to them I am doing the proverbial runs??)

All my airline tickets are electronic so could only show them my planned departure flight details on an A4 sheet?? Though have to say never had any problems, except.......

Company suddenly told me I needed to have one offshore trip off owing to the local tax exposure/rules were the rig was drilling, suddenly I was facing 12 weeks off and falling foul of the 90 day rule.

Decided it was easier (peace of mind) to return to the UK for a visa after getting advise on these boards (Crossy and Lopburi3 were very helpful) arrived UK on a Monday went to the Thai Consul in Cardiff on the Tuesday.

Lady there was also helpful, (Cardiff is an alternative to Hull) she virtually filled in my form for me, handed over £100 and left with a 'O' multi-entry, 90day visa within 20minutes.

Reason for visa was "visiting friends", also took my lease agreement which I did not need, but if you intend to live Thailand you will end up with one of them.

Reason I put down the above is...................what will you do if for any reason you stay more than 30days???Illness/accident/work etc, for peace of mind get a visa, makes everything easier and I mean everything?

Bobs your uncle.

Like the previous post, work in the offshore industry, live in thailand. Do 4 weeks on/off, previously came and went on the 30day TV for near enough three years.

Knowing you are okay for the 90 day in any 180 period does not make you feel any better at immigration when they are adding up your days from all the stamps in your passport?

(Have to add, I go to and fro Singapore going offshore so it may look to them I am doing the proverbial runs??)

All my airline tickets are electronic so could only show them my planned departure flight details on an A4 sheet?? Though have to say never had any problems, except.......

Company suddenly told me I needed to have one offshore trip off owing to the local tax exposure/rules were the rig was drilling, suddenly I was facing 12 weeks off and falling foul of the 90 day rule.

Decided it was easier (peace of mind) to return to the UK for a visa after getting advise on these boards (Crossy and Lopburi3 were very helpful) arrived UK on a Monday went to the Thai Consul in Cardiff on the Tuesday.

Lady there was also helpful, (Cardiff is an alternative to Hull) she virtually filled in my form for me, handed over £100 and left with a 'O' multi-entry, 90day visa within 20minutes.

Reason for visa was "visiting friends", also took my lease agreement which I did not need, but if you intend to live Thailand you will end up with one of them.

Reason I put down the above is...................what will you do if for any reason you stay more than 30days???Illness/accident/work etc, for peace of mind get a visa, makes everything easier and I mean everything?

A very very good and safe idea. :o

Yes Good point, other thing is you dont really have to go to your own country to get this visa, but have been told dont try in Singapore, depends on the day how he feels if you have enough info for him, one guy i know just went to the Qatar embassy with his passport and note from company got it.

GOING TO CHANGE THIS FOR A MIN AS THIS POST WILL ATTRACT LOTS OF OFFSHORE GUYS NOW AND I NEED SOME PERSONAL INFORMATION. BUDDY OF MINE BUGSY DIED CHRISTMAS EVE ALL RELATIVES KNOW, I JUST NEED TO KNOW THE REAL REASON.

SHOULD BE SOME OF HIS NEW THAI EXPAT MATES ON HERE. PM ME IF YOU GOT THE REAL STORY THANKS.

Bobs your uncle.

Thats exactly my point.. Offshore work is sometimes reliable and sometimes people change companies, drop a rotation, sustain a drunken injury while on shore leave, etc etc etc.. To not have a backup plan and yet to attempt to time this to the last couple of days, every rotation, for years is asking for trouble.

As for the guy who claims you dont need an outbound ticket.. Ohh yes you do and he has been amazingly lucky.. I was refused to even sell a ticket to Thailand (in india) until they saw my visa.. I have been asked at boarding on KL and Sing and from Europe.. any one of those times no outbound ticket or visa and you cant board.

Yes you do need an outbound ticket, it's the rules. BUT you don't need one. I never have an outbound ticket. There are a few people in my company that live in Thailand and they also don't have an outbound ticket. When i am asked i tell the immigration officer that my company will send me a ticket when it is time to go to work again. In 7 years i have not had a problem. It's just another of them rules that is not enforced.

As for the 30 days, you will spend 2 days travelling each time so it only works out at 28 days at home. Not much but it means an extra week cushion every 6 months. For sure it is possible to be told you are not required back to work and suddenly face 12 weeks off. That would be the time to sort a visa in my opinion, (why pay for something, (with time and money), that maybe you will never use?). I had 10 weeks off once and i just took a holiday elsewhere for a few weeks.

What immigration says will not help you if the airline says you don't fly.

As for the cost - I expect most people would consider the 5,000 baht or so required for a year non immigrant O visa to be well worth the cost if only for the faster processing at immigration even it is never required for a stay longer than 30 days.

What immigration says will not help you if the airline says you don't fly.

As for the cost - I expect most people would consider the 5,000 baht or so required for a year non immigrant O visa to be well worth the cost if only for the faster processing at immigration even it is never required for a stay longer than 30 days.

Hi Lopburi3.

Thanks again for all the advise over the past few months on various visa queries?

On the subject of having an onward/departure ticket, one OP saying he never had a problem with Thai immigration. He has just been lucky, very lucky.

I fly back to the UK every leave for 5 nights to see my children, but mostly to keep my foreign flight entitlements. On more than one occasion the KLM desk at T4 Heathrow wanted to see evidence of onward travel out of Thailand since it was only TV stamps in the passport. (as i said in aan earlier posting having a visa makes everything easier)

One occasion without any proof of onward flights. Had to wait until the company faxed KLM details of onward travel out of Thailand to the rig (I am platinum with KLM which meant zilch at check-in) Since the visa, no probs. To the other comment

(why pay for something, (with time and money), that maybe you will never use?)

I would never drive a car without insurance, but I would never, not have it, thinking I may never need it, so will do without it? When that person said he went on holiday. Great but say you cannot leave owing to illness, that's when you will wish you had the 90 day visa.

But he is right you may never need it.......................Peace of mind.?.?.?.?. I want that more than saving 5,000 which the majority of offshore ex-pats spend in a matter of hours or less.

Well; Enough, of yet again more inane dribbles, so apologies. Getting a visa is a smarter move, than not getting one.

You should be able to enter for 30 days on a visa free entry but your schedule may fall foul of the regulation that you cannot enter for more than a total of 90 days in any 6 month period so you may have to get one tourist visa per year from the Thai consulate in Dubai.

Not quite true for the OP

With the month on, month off, routine your first 3 trips can utilise the 30 day Visa exemption scheme.

For the other three trips you will need a Tourist Visa each time.

Unless there is a local regulation in Dubai, you do not normally need to show a ticket to get a Tourist visa

and the visa can be used any time in the next three months, so it can be purchased in advance.

You can ask the Embassy in Dubai about a multi-entry O visa, they may be willing to issue it.

Alternatively a quick trip to the UK once a year will be needed. Hull, Birmingham and Cardiff have

come up in recent topics as helpful consulates.

Not quite true for the OP

With the month on, month off, routine your first 3 trips can utilise the 30 day Visa exemption scheme.

Not the way I see it, if he gets a TV on his fourth visit then on his 5th, 6th and 7th visit he wont have been in Thailand more than 90 days in the previous 6 months on visa free entries at the time of those entries (or exits)

I've been doing the 30 day thing for 12 years now. I got a "o" visa a couple of times for drivers licence reasons and I must admit it gave me more peace of mind knowing I could flash the visa at the check in counter if they brought up the 1 way ticket. I have a seamens book now so I dont need it (o visa) anymore. If for some reason I excede the 90 day rule I will just fly into Singapore or KL or somewhere and get a visa. Not a worry. I do a lot of holidaying outside of Thailand so I never have a problem. Thailand is a great place to live if you work offshore!!

Thats exactly my point.. Offshore work is sometimes reliable and sometimes people change companies, drop a rotation, sustain a drunken injury while on shore leave, etc etc etc.. To not have a backup plan and yet to attempt to time this to the last couple of days, every rotation, for years is asking for trouble.

As for the guy who claims you dont need an outbound ticket.. Ohh yes you do and he has been amazingly lucky.. I was refused to even sell a ticket to Thailand (in india) until they saw my visa.. I have been asked at boarding on KL and Sing and from Europe.. any one of those times no outbound ticket or visa and you cant board.

Yes agreed it is cutting it fine. I am usualy 105 days out of the country in 6 months and yes I only had 15 days to play with.

But I assure you in the 5 years that I have been coming in and out, not once was I asked for a return ticket. And if they did well I would have been in big trouble I guess. I did not even know that law excisted.

Some people can get into the UK as a tourist without a return ticket, so maybe it depends on nationality and what agreements both countries have. I also know that as an Australian in the UK if i cant get out the British government pays my flight out and I have to pay the Australian goverment back with interest, happened to a friend some years ago. so maybe its a deal like that. I cant realy see that they would not ask me just once for a return ticket. luck? need buy lottery ticket for that luck.

Care to expand on what math you are using for this calculation? :o

At the most I see him needing one tourist visa entry (at the end of 180 day 3 visa exempt period) as each entry covers a period of 60 days (in/out).

Yes agreed it is cutting it fine. I am usualy 105 days out of the country in 6 months and yes I only had 15 days to play with.

But I assure you in the 5 years that I have been coming in and out, not once was I asked for a return ticket. And if they did well I would have been in big trouble I guess. I did not even know that law excisted.

Some people can get into the UK as a tourist without a return ticket, so maybe it depends on nationality and what agreements both countries have. I also know that as an Australian in the UK if i cant get out the British government pays my flight out and I have to pay the Australian goverment back with interest, happened to a friend some years ago. so maybe its a deal like that. I cant realy see that they would not ask me just once for a return ticket. luck? need buy lottery ticket for that luck.

I have been asked 3 times over the years, Vancouver, Cairo and Paris. In Vancouver they made me purchase a on way BKK - Singaprore, ticket from Thai airways. It wasnt very expensive but very anoying. The other 2 times I played dumb and they eventually gave in.

After reading all the posts I found this site after a basic search and would welcome any advice given . I to am an offshore worker 4 and

4 and been living in Pranburi for about three years and last time off work I came down with a bad stomach Infection couldnt travel to work 7 extra days in bed recovering with doctors line and visit to Immigration sub office .

The problem is Im going back in 10 days for 26 days but only have 20 days left with TVs so its 50/50 and a gamble at the airport but if they count the days then big ponpem.

I will get to the point I have a Second passport only 2 TVs inside from 18 months ago , Is it traceable if I bent the rules slightly and left my normal passport at work by accident and arrive with my old one with only 2 tvs from way back , Or would this give a red flag and arouse suspicion .

The passports have different serial numbers , place of issues , and registered to different addresses as job takes my everywhere , I know people will say go to hong kong etc for a week and relax but the wife is 8 months pregnant and well you know need to be there ,or am I taking a big risk.

Any advice or previous experience would be appreciated

PS excellent website

They aren't going to throw you in jail so it is not a big risk. I suspect you will not have any problem using the second passport; although they can probably pull up your name/nationality and match them if they wanted to do so.

If you have a Thai wife I would highly recommend you invest in a multi entry non immigrant O visa. Believe the time savings when entering the country will more than make up for the 5,000 baht or so yearly cost. Singapore I believe will issue with marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card (and new birth certificate) and 400k (at baht rate) in an account anywhere.