Kudos To Ug

altman

I see member UG, owner of Gekko Books, has opened yet another book shop in Chiang Mai.

And each one requires a manager and staff. That's a lot of good being done for a lot of Thais.

Whether he is intending to become wealthier for reasons of his own, or has simply decided to do what he can to make the lives of as many people as possible better, I applaud his efforts.

Thanks!

Big Mango Books, is at the mouth of the Soi where the main branch of Gecko Books is, beside Boots.

My intention is to specialize in Spiritual, New Age and Esoteric titles in this store eventually, but the landlord kind of surprised me by offering it to me a few weeks ago at a reasonable rent, so it will take a little while to bring in these kind of titles. At the moment, it is just a blend of everything, like the other stores.

One reason that I am opening so many stores is indeed to benefit my staff. They are great - the best thing about having a business here - and I pay probably twice what most places do. The more stores we have the more we can give good jobs to people who deserve it.

However, eventually, I plan on getting rid of the stores that don't do very well and concentrate on the ones that do. To be honest, searching for stock to fill so many stores, is not easy.

Also, I want to stay here as long as I possibly can and the better the business is doing, the easier it is to live pleasantly and meet the ever changing visa qualifications! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

No.

They have more money than sense and moved right beside us with the intention of putting us out of business after we had been open for about 3 years. They had previously done this to another bookstore with a Thai owner - Chiang Mai's first used bookshop - and as soon as she closed down, they moved next to me.

However, it didn't work this time. In fact, it back-fired and they have ended up with few customers most of the time and are mostly just a minor annoyance. We are often full to the brim with people looking around while they remain absolutely empty or with one or two customers and it's been that way since they moved in.

Truthfully, I don't think that they've ever sold enough books to even pay their rent, but, instead of going to another location and trying to build their own business, they just sit there dreaming about ruining ours.

Parasites are a big problem in this part of the world. :o

I see member UG, owner of Gekko Books, has opened yet another book shop in Chiang Mai.

And each one requires a manager and staff. That's a lot of good being done for a lot of Thais.

Whether he is intending to become wealthier for reasons of his own, or has simply decided to do what he can to make the lives of as many people as possible better, I applaud his efforts.

Congratulations to whoever can open a successful business here. But this seems like a suspicious topic, pays to be an advertiser I guess.

I actually am not crazy about people giving the shop a compliment on-line, because of overly suspicious people like you. You seem to be implying that I had something to do with manufacturing this post and you are dead wrong.

You do know what they say about opinions, don't you.? :o

No.

They have more money than sense and moved right beside us with the intention of putting us out of business after we had been open for about 3 years. They had previously done this to another bookstore with a Thai owner - Chiang Mai's first used bookshop - and as soon as she closed down, they moved next to me.

However, it didn't work this time. In fact, it back-fired and they have ended up with few customers most of the time and are mostly just a minor annoyance. We are often full to the brim with people looking around while they remain absolutely empty or with one or two customers and it's been that way since they moved in.

Truthfully, I don't think that they've ever sold enough books to even pay their rent, but, instead of going to another location and trying to build their own business, they just sit there dreaming about ruining ours.

Parasites are a big problem in this part of the world. :D

So that's :o why you opened a shop in same soi as lost book shop?

siam-i-am Posted Today, 2007-12-29 20:14:13

So that's why you opened a shop in same soi as lost book shop?

Actually, it was because the owner of The Lost Book Shop was living with the owner of Backstreet when they moved in next to me initially and then she tried to rent another shop right next to Gecko, but I rented it instead.

Later, when the shop house opened up on the same street as her, I had no reason to turn it down.

Som Nom Na (You reap what you sew). :o

Edited by Ulysses G.