Suing A Thai Lady

Eric1949

Hi folks.

Just an update. Deadline for the ex to appeal passed on the 10th. She already made 3 attempts to delay the proceedings, but now cannot do so anymore. So the 50/50 award from the courts, stands.

I am now living back in my 50% of the house, and have a lot of work ahead to repair the damage caused by more than 2 years of neglect. She is living 'off island' at the moment. I can now advertise the house, and as long as she agrees the price, can get rid of it.

Ok, call me stubborn, but it has paid off. :)

Just been reading from 07 to now, wow well done, its great to see you had the health and clear mind to hang in there, many would be now lonely alcohos only complaining about what happened, at least you had the power to continue, i would like a feather from your cap.

court aside are you happy with life?? and have you found a "good bad girl"

Very happy with life now thanks cnxman, and yes :D

Great news, i,m clocking up 14 years in Dec, it can and does work, i always believed "make haste slowly" life is the best, the alternative is yet undiscovered. well done.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear this finally panned out to at least a 50/50 split.

FEW if any thai visa forum members would have had the fortitude to hang in there as long as you did.

Most would probably be at NEP or Soi Cowboy knee deep in Chang Beer bottles telling their story to any foreigner drunk enough to listen. :)

GOOD ON YOU!!! :D

Hi folks.

Just an update. Deadline for the ex to appeal passed on the 10th. She already made 3 attempts to delay the proceedings, but now cannot do so anymore. So the 50/50 award from the courts, stands.

I am now living back in my 50% of the house, and have a lot of work ahead to repair the damage caused by more than 2 years of neglect. She is living 'off island' at the moment. I can now advertise the house, and as long as she agrees the price, can get rid of it.

Ok, call me stubborn, but it has paid off. :D

Great Eric. I must admit you're being the Gentleman to call her a 'lady', I'm sure there are many other names that you'd rather call her. Well done anyway. :):D

• 1 month later...
I know countless farangs who built houses in gf/wives names. Each and every one of them lost the house. When you do something like this, you are gifting the house to them. Write it off, you gave it to her. I'd say you have a lot of nerve to try and get back any portion. btw, it was very nice of you to build a house for the lady

Dear Beavis and Butthead, You are well out of order giving this man abuse as to him having a nerve to try and get back any portion. Well this man has two rights in Thai law he can go for 50% of their assets and if I am not mistaken their is another law which either protects her from sharing her own assests such as land given or bought by her, or he maybe entitled to 50% of this too. His other option is to make an offer in the the presence of his lawyer and buy her out, but then he must have the property put into another Thai's name someone that he can trust, and lease it from them. If he ever marries again, he can have the house put into his new wife's name and Bingo! Now I know for a fact that this can be done as we have already done this for one of our friends.

I ask you a question? Would you give up all of your life savings because a realtionship went sour on you. If your answer is yes, then you are more of a fool than I think you would be. He has rights and I suggest that he goes for them............

Hi folks.

Ok, call me stubborn, but it has paid off. :)

Just been reading from 07 to now, wow well done, its great to see you had the health and clear mind to hang in there, many would be now lonely alcohos only complaining about what happened, at least you had the power to continue, i would like a feather from your cap.

court aside are you happy with life?? and have you found a "good bad girl"

Very happy with life now thanks cnxman, and yes :D

so you going w another bargirl! god help us all!

Sorry, haven't ready the full thread, but it seems nobody are aware that foreigner can actually own their house in their own name....and then just lease the land it is sitting on!!

My wife owns the land, but I own the house in my own name!!

What's the problem? :)

Glad the OP got some of his money back.

A little disconcerting to see about 9 different posters on this thread have been banned from thaivisa?

Some posters sign up under different names after being banned once again and again, what you see as 9 posters are in fact a lot less.

For the rest, we don't allow discussion of moderation so leave it at that.

Just bumped into this thread. In my thinking, it's too bad it's only 50/50. 50/50 of the earnings since marriage is fair. I think pre nupts are a wonderful thing although I don't know how that works in Thailand.

Love, money and marriage is an interesting topic.

I think that the best thing to do in Thailand is to protect yourself from the start. If that means not owning, then don't own.

"I think that the best thing to do in Thailand is to protect yourself from the start. If that means not owning, then don't own." This is great advice, tell them you are not a wealthy man from the start and rent . its sorts the good from the bad in no time,,But a lot of westerners just cant help revealing all and become targets,/victims :) .. Edited by imaneggspurt

to really see if eric won we need numbers to crunch. he could have just been wasting his time, time he could have used to do more productive things!

as far as renting thai ladies would have none of that, no prize so to speak of. no reason to get married then to a froeigner.

I knew a guy who fought several years in the courts. He got the same 50/50 settlement. Since the house was in her name, she had to sell it for him to get his money. Four years later he had not received the first baht. Good luck, I doubt that it's over.
Im thinking that also,the bit where he says " at a price she agrees at " concerns me, as we know thais will wait and wait,and whos to say she wont start geting funny again, what a nightmare, i really hope its over, :)

to really see if eric won we need numbers to crunch. he could have just been wasting his time, time he could have used to do more productive things!

as far as renting thai ladies would have none of that, no prize so to speak of. no reason to get married then to a froeigner.

Renting thai ladies ?.who mentioned that ? :D ,oh i see, ,well thats not the case with my wife, we rented properties for the first 5 years of our relationship/marriage,we have a daughter and a normal relationship, its all about selection, .some unfortunatly have no idea ,a woman is a woman,and these guys that fail to recognise a good one will fail wherever they look, but thailand seems to attract the ones heading for disaster,. :)

Renting thai ladies ?.who mentioned that ? :D ,oh i see, ,well thats not the case with my wife, we rented properties for the first 5 years of our relationship/marriage,we have a daughter and a normal relationship, its all about selection, .some unfortunatly have no idea ,a woman is a woman,and these guys that fail to recognise a good one will fail wherever they look, but thailand seems to attract the ones heading for disaster,. :)

no no no.no t rent the lady

rent the apt.

i dont get fight the thais. teach them a lesson! like the care. another bonehead prolly building a house right now for a girl he met last week in pattaya.

enjoy thais dont fight them , you ewiLl lose!

You can build them a house, but they will still sleep in the trees, offer them the money or the house,,,,ill bet a months rent i know the answer ! :)

Glad the OP got some of his money back.

A little disconcerting to see about 9 different posters on this thread have been banned from thaivisa?

They are mostly the same banned member getting his rocks off. He is currently posting on this thread as Sleazzy ( one of the few apt nicks he has used lately ). He is about to leave us again

Well done Eric, I hope all of the intricies are sorted out easily. :)

Thanks, it will take time, but at least I now legally own half of what I paid for.

and when all is said and done you will have 10-12% of what you paid for and still are paying(with repairs and all, legal expenses, time and effort).

how can people congratulate this kind of nonsense!

the numbers just dont add up.

You would never dream of putting a house in your girlfriend's/wife's name back in your home country, so why do it here? :) I just don't get it. :D

Coz the laws here do not allow individual foreigner to own land and building.

Then rent!!! The only reason most foreigners buy is because they are convinced by their wives/girlfriends who know it is a retirement fund for them.

You would never dream of putting a house in your girlfriend's/wife's name back in your home country, so why do it here? :) I just don't get it. :D

Coz the laws here do not allow individual foreigner to own land and building.

Then rent!!! The only reason most foreigners buy is because they are convinced by their wives/girlfriends who know it is a retirement fund for them.

and a place in which to lodge their 43 near relatives :D

As long as you can prove in writign (bank records etc.. the money used to pay for the house (in fact anything ) came from you / your bank account/ a Thai court will uphold your claim.

Lawyers will tell you that but if bought after marriage you will get only 50% and remember there are problems over land ownership which must be in a thai name. Sometimes assets have been gifted to a wife sothere is no 50 50 split.

This topic always brings out the best and worst of thaivisa.

So many condemning how come guys buid houses and "lose" them in divorce. I get the feeling that most of tv members would end their life if it happened to them.

Let me ask something. How many of you lads have divorced back in farangland and "lost" your house, cash or other assets fully, half or some of it to your wife ?

Do you also consider child support or support for your ex the same as leaving your house to your ex ?

And c'mon, be honest now.

Maybe someone ought to start a poll...

Edited by MJo

• 2 weeks later...
I know countless farangs who built houses in gf/wives names. Each and every one of them lost the house. When you do something like this, you are gifting the house to them. Write it off, you gave it to her. I'd say you have a lot of nerve to try and get back any portion. btw, it was very nice of you to build a house for the lady

Dear Beavis and Butthead, You are well out of order giving this man abuse as to him having a nerve to try and get back any portion. Well this man has two rights in Thai law he can go for 50% of their assets and if I am not mistaken their is another law which either protects her from sharing her own assests such as land given or bought by her, or he maybe entitled to 50% of this too. His other option is to make an offer in the the presence of his lawyer and buy her out, but then he must have the property put into another Thai's name someone that he can trust, and lease it from them. If he ever marries again, he can have the house put into his new wife's name and Bingo! Now I know for a fact that this can be done as we have already done this for one of our friends.

I ask you a question? Would you give up all of your life savings because a realtionship went sour on you. If your answer is yes, then you are more of a fool than I think you would be. He has rights and I suggest that he goes for them............

Great post 'pittbullman1'

A lot of good points.

Never buy what you can rent cheaper. In high risk ventures (such as marriage), never invest more than you can afford to lose. Most of us who know that to be a fact have learned it the hard way.

I'm happy that the OP might finally get back a portion of what he invested. Hopefully, he won't make the same mistake twice. Unfortunately, some people never learn. Women keep marrying the same kind of losers they just divorced and men keep trying to play the white knight in shining armour to some shady lady with a strange sense of morality.

Hi folks.

A short update.

I am living back in the house in question, she is in one of her houses in BKK.

Apart from a slight glitch end of August, when I was away for a couple of days she returned and changed locks again. I had to get the police to enforce the court order, she packed a bag and went off in a huff.

Apart from that it's nice not having to pay rent again.

Hi folks.

A short update.

Apart from a slight glitch end of August, when I was away for a couple of days she returned and changed locks again. I had to get the police to enforce the court order, she packed a bag and went off in a huff.

Looks like you both came out winners then. She is further ahead than before she met you and you have your freedom and no longer have to live with a witch. If you have enough money to afford multiple dwellings then you have enough money to enjoy life. You can't take it with you and being tied to your possessions is only at a loss of freedom.

Hi folks.

A short update.

Looks like you both came out winners then. She is further ahead than before she met you and you have your freedom and no longer have to live with a witch. If you have enough money to afford multiple dwellings then you have enough money to enjoy life. You can't take it with you and being tied to your possessions is only at a loss of freedom.

Thanks IanForbes. She is the one with multiple dwellings, not me, and I wonder how many of them are 'in the bank'. This is the only dwelling I have.