Suing A Thai Lady

Eric1949

Thanks Dominator.

Result of today's hearing is that lawyers have to attend court on Thursday to appoint an 'asset director', what ever that is. Also she told a porkie to the judge, who was not impressed when I pointed it out. It was included in the minutes of the hearing.

On going............

Great, it seems to be leaning your way!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you need is a good THAI Lawyer and fast, before this lady take you to the cleaner, my friend. Having to put most everything in the Thai citizen name is a big old pitfall in the land of smile, WHY do the law require your as a farang to do that, simple to protect the Thai, now what does that tell you, yes you are fighting and up hill BATTLE, again find, if you don't already have a GOOD Thai Lawyer. Best of Luck. :D:D:D:o:D Love gone SOUTH

sympathies with you on your problems,but why do people have to knock thais for this.if you were married in the uk she would have 50% even if she didnt work.

i have a long term partnership agreement, and 2 wills(one for me and one for gf) and if she dies first i get the house.if i die forst she gets the house,bank account and car,m/bike.

this cost me 10,000 baht and well worth it.i bought the house within 4 days because it was a good price,so i put it in my long term gf name.if we split she gets half of the original cost of the house,she signed and agreed to it,but no money/car etc

My divorce settlement through the Thai civil court took 12 hearings over 2 years. The final result was as expected a 50/50 split of the property. I then applied for, and was granted, a sale through a government auction....that's taking place on April 24th :o If anyone is interested, have a look at my web page or PM me.

http://patongvilla.wetpaint.com/

I might be interested but on second thoughs Farangs can't 'really' own a house anyway. Unless it's got wheels on it.

I could buy it in my Thai Wifes name but...I'm bound to lose it - Right!

The moral of this post is if you're not prepared to lose it don't buy in a Thais name. Someone once told me that and reading through a lot of these posts maybe he should tell you guys too. :D

Mikethevigoman.

Thanks. :D:D

Farangmal.

Don't forget, not everyone read ThaiVisa before coming here!!

No, that's true.

And to make matters worse a lot of Estate agents in the Uk (like Rightmove) the largest property website in the Uk has a foreign property buying section and ADVICE on buying in Thailand.

There's an audio file you can listen to with some Women ranting on about the dream houses in Thailand. She skips over the company route bit very quickly and says all those people Married to a Thai Lady can enjoy property owning rights! :o:D

She doesn't know what she's talking about. What chance have some people got if they are being sold lies and dreams like this?

The internet is a very powerful tool and people should make the most of it.

But having lived in Thailand for many years and had a friend who was an Estate Agent in Jomtien he told me...'easy to sell to the fools who come here on holiday. They are all ponces and have only one thing on their minds. Sex and more sex'

His words exactly.

Do your research folks.

You can own a condo and if you keep your nose clean and don't get deported you can stay for the time stamped in your passport to enjoy it.

Do a King Soloman and offer it all to the temple that the monk practices at. Oh the look on her face would be worth it. I don't think King Soloman actually did that but he did those kind of things. Well actually he is fictional is'nt he? Well thats enough from me as I am now going to climb into a big hole.

sympathies with you on your problems,but why do people have to knock thais for this.if you were married in the uk she would have 50% even if she didnt work.

i have a long term partnership agreement, and 2 wills(one for me and one for gf) and if she dies first i get the house.if i die forst she gets the house,bank account and car,m/bike.

this cost me 10,000 baht and well worth it.i bought the house within 4 days because it was a good price,so i put it in my long term gf name.if we split she gets half of the original cost of the house,she signed and agreed to it,but no money/car etc

7 years ago, when I came to Thailand with the woman I had met in Singapore, I did not know that I was being set up for this type of scam. Now I know, so, when I get my property back, I won't make the same mistake again. :o

• 3 weeks later...
My divorce settlement through the Thai civil court took 12 hearings over 2 years. The final result was as expected a 50/50 split of the property. I then applied for, and was granted, a sale through a government auction....that's taking place on April 24th :o If anyone is interested, have a look at my web page or PM me.

http://patongvilla.wetpaint.com/

Correction to my earlier post: The auction date has been put back to the 1st of May.....5 more day. Yeeeeeeeeha

My other thread is HERE

Link didn't work? - try this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175932

Edited by geoffphuket

Anyone considering financing real estate in Thailand, either with a girlfriend or partner, should think again.

Read below my nightmare story:

In 1999 my English friend of 20 years, Michael, and I decided to obtain a house each in Chiang Mai and some land in Wiang Pa Pao. My friend had a Thai girlfriend, he paid for his share of his house and land to retire and live in the property after once he married his Thai girlfriend. That was the plan.

The house in Chiang Mai was built joined together as one building divided into 2 two-bedroom houses. Michael paid seperately for his 2-bedroom house and 2 rai of land in Wiang Pa Pao.

He sent the money to my brother in law who was our agent and was put into my brother in laws name because in 1999 Thai law would not permit a Thai wife married to a foreigner to own land and property in Thailand.

In 2001 my friend met another Thai girl and married her in England, 2 years after he sent money for the land and property in Thailand. Thai law changed regarding land ownership for Thai wives of foreigners and my friend asked my wife to put the real estate in her name, as he did not completely trust his new much younger wife.

In 2003 my friend's wife said that she did not want to live in the house or wanted the land my friend bought in Thailand. My friend phoned my wife requesting all his money back for what he bought in Thailand because his wife and he did not want it anymore. My wife informed him that return of money is not possible, not her responsibly but told my friend that he may sell his share if he so wishes.

In 2004 my friend with his new wife visited the police in Bangkok and told them that there is no land & house for the money that he paid my brother in law and that my wife and brother in law had cheated him.

After a slow 2-year investigation by the Bangkok police they concluded that my friend did get what he paid for and was not embezzled out of any money.

What happened to Michael, his story:

Back in 1999, my best friend, Michael, of over 20 years was introduced to a Thai lady at an engagement party in Norwich England. He was 51 she was 28. He fell in love with her immediately and over a 2-year period, the girl and her family in Keonkaen extorted over £80000 from my friend. After that the girl told him that she had a terminal disease and could not marry him, but offered her sister instead. Michael married the sister in 2001. It later transpired that the Thai girl he met in England already had an English husband in Norwich and is alive and well today.

In 2006 my friend caught his wife having an affair in Norwich. The shock was too much for him; he began walking back to his car and dropped dead in the rain into a gutter from a heart attack. He was 58.

In the end, that Thai family got £80000 of my friend's savings, his property in Buckinghamshire worth £400000 and finally even his soul. Our mutual friends and I warned Michael about this Thai group. Michael said, that if he cant find a wife, he'll buy one if necessary, but of course no one can buy true caring love. He was blind to the reality that they only wanted his money and targeted Michael because he was so desperate to get himself a wife and told them he had money and property. We fell out over this issue because Michael wouldn't listen to reason and I lost my closest friend, a soul mate of over 20 years.

As for the perjury committed against us regarding the property, no one was ever charged with anything. In the end it cost me 500000 baht in under counter payments to the police, prosecutor and I am sure that even my brother in law ripped me off to a point. At first I refused to cough up money and said let them do their worst, then my brother in law told my wife that if I don't pay, they will F—K up my visa here. We guessed that the reasons no charges were brought against Michael and his wife was because the police and the prosecutor were paid off from both sides.

There is still one year to go until the criminal case expires, because Michael failed to continue with it and is now frozen in the police station. But the property is now caught up in a catch 22 because Michael's wife will not produce Michael's death certificate to the police in case they get arrested for perjury and the police say, my wife and I cannot sell until the criminal case expires. After the criminal case expires we than have to continue on and go to civil court, which can take up to 6 years. If we sell before, Michael's Thai family can start all over again by suing us for cheating them and keeping the proceeds of the property.

Over the last few years we have sent letters to my friend and his wife asking them to visit Thailand and sort out their real estate that is still in my wife's name. All our correspondences have been ignored.

So now I have written off the property as a loss, almost 2 million baht. It stands there in disrepair. I wont go near the place anymore.

Was I an idiot, yes definately, and I advise no one else does the same thing.

Edited by distortedlink

Good to hear it. I'm sure all the decent people in Thailand will be routing [sic] for you.

I hope this bad experience hasn't put you off Thai ladies, we're not all like her.

OH no, with an avatar like yours, " Mistress" Erika you're not like that at all.....NO WAY ! No. Nope! Uh huh. Negative...

(Hey mods, why is this pro advertising on the forum ?)

Hey, kid, don't worry. I'm in exactly the same position as you except I had a lease to somewhat protect me. I built a big, beautiful house in Samui. Took me 4 yrs to complete with my design, my effort, & my money. Because we were together 9 plus yrs., we are judged to be common law married, and I have to give her half she doesn't deserve. But even this is not enough for the epidome of greed. She wants it all, and has taken the case to Appeals Court hoping to string me out long enough for me to give up or run out of money, of which the latter is most possible. Hang in there, and don't hand it to her on a silver platter. She really doesn't deserve it! Pipeline Pete, Prachuap Khiri Khan

• 2 weeks later...

oh god, oh god, oh god.

i said i was going to turn off the puter but got curious about this thread...and read on the biggest shock since i dont know when...

i was reading 2007 posts and as i read down the posts, i got sicker and sicker. i felt weak as i reach the latest post. :D:D no emoticon angrier than this please???

when i made the post on the other forum earlier today http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...6909&st=150, i did not even had a background of the situation. none at all. the topic was of no interest to me, as i am a non-factor so i just like ignored this topic for a long time each time i would see it. hours ago, i still regarded thailand as an amazing country. aaagghhhh....

it seems this has been happening for yearsssss and for so many farangs. why oh why hasnt it gotten out bigtime/mainstream to warn potential future victims? in fact dont embassies advice their citizens about this? i remember when i got off from a flight from japan to manila a few years ago, there were explicit warnings about contracting AIDS to the japanese passengers (i felt bad about this of course but took it as a fair warning). i think lovestruck and clueless farangs should also be shoved at their faces the biggest sign about the dangers of building a house in TH unless they are 100% sure of the faithfulness of their partners and made sure they read and understand the small prints before even being allowed to get off the plane!

it is probably too late for many farangs out there but not for the future. DO SOMETHING...PLEASE!!!

maybe not all thai ladies are like these... but just a few bad eggs should be enough to make someone not make the same mistake... it doesnt even take a lot of intelligence to figure this out. why this has been allowed to happen to so many it has become an "acceptable" situation, can anyone tell me? the attitude for many seems: it happened to a lot of people, what's the fuss? this is not even just about money, altho big money is involved. but the injustice of it all. this is the biggest rip-off i have read in years! this should be making headlines in europe, US, australia, wherever most of farangs in thailand come from...

land of smiles? land of tears maybe. i hope i dont get flamed by good thai ladies, because they would know better. bad thai ladies, i dont mind...

if i were a thai, id be very ashamed....and if i know of filipinos doing this to a harmless foreigner, i too would be ashamed.

am still sick......

caveat: of course, there may be cases too that asking for a fair share of properties may be justified such as erring husbands or fathers who refuse to provide for their children's future...but this is another story.

i will be offering my sincerest prayers for the victims out there tonight.... that is probably the only way i will get a sound sleep... :o

i was mistaken, this is the biggest post i have made. no more surprises next time i hope. i probably wont be able to take it anymore....

Men or women, we're the same. There's evil, there's good.

Local Thai news has said that there's a lot of Thai girl's being sold as slave/prostitute in other countries, yet they said nothing about the bad side.

Thailand's good in one hand, but is pathetic on the other.

Yes I know about registering a company name to buy land and build a house...but I didn't.

So now I am looking forward, not back.

I put everything in my lady's name. Things have gone sour. I left the house in March 07, because of threats. We have been to court 3 times already. There is a good chance that I will win, and get back at least 50%. She has now delayed the next case hearing until Feb 09.

Has anyone been successful in suing a Thai lady in a similar situation?

please PM the op for more information

my friend was in the same situation and he got his house back bcos he could prove that the house he paid for was b4 he got married, she didnt even get 1%

good for your friend, LKIBA.... B)

i actually had a very sound sleep.... not long but quality.... never felt so refreshed. :D

so what to do now?

i think there is a big deal of SOMETHING that can be done, even for those previous victims and i mean real victims...who think they have lost their cases and have given up. share your experiences to help others. it is therapeutic too! :D

how about bonding together? find similar issues and cases? present your case, one big case... dont know about the law in general and in thailand? enlist the help of your embassies and government, pressure the thai government to look sympathetically to farangs' cases (now i am getting radical here... :D..would the thai authorities run after me now? :D ) and then try to see if there could be laws that will protect the rights of husbands and boyfriends (or for that matter farang wives too?) from being ripped off, as we read in this thread? surely, the thai government should be helpful, cooperative? their tourists and investors come mainly from your countries. they would not want those revenues and investments reduced to a nil and transferred to less greedy countries, would they? i mean, coming up with a just law that is fair to both partners when the relationship has gone sour, and to the children in between should not be too difficult, especially if there is some pressure from outside and political will from the inside... a law that is not corruptible, speedy and really just so there are less chances for psychological and financial damages, even fatal damages?

how about this idea? what have you got to lose anyway? you've lost your money, your pride, your self-respect, maybe even sanity (and life for unfortunate some). at least for self-preservation?...

as for me, i dont know how much i can use this knowledge towards working for a more fair and just environment for foreigners in my own country. there should be a lot less cases such as these, but i am sure these are happening too.. sometimes i read about foreigners being murdered, etc. and i am sure there is more to the stories than meet the eye. but these are so few and certainly not systematic. but i think we also have the same law as thailand about foreign ownership... i know something coud be done here too, before we have another nightmare like thailand. it is really ugly, to say the least.

in the same way that i feel so sad when i hear about stories of my countrymen, especially women working as domestics, bar girls, even professionals being exploited and abused when they work in foreign lands, i feel for these farangs who have been wronged. just because they fell in love and became stupid with their decisions.

i do not know what led me to write the things i wrote yesterday. as i said, i should not have been affected as i am a non-factor in this situation, neither thai nor farang, neither GF or BF, wife or husband. i got angry. i guess that is the universality in us. and the universality of values. we know what is right and wrong and the same values apply to all people, regardless of race, sex, nationality (rich or poor), age and all those things: justice, fairness, equality, brotherhood, basic human rights... we are all the same in this world, we aspire for the same thing after food, shelter, etc.

let all these be a lesson for all of us. do not let others do to us what we do not do to others...or positively, let us do unto others what we want others to do unto us. hmmm, aint that sound familiar? yes, the golden rule...no wonder they call it golden... :D

mods, how about a new thread to galvanize a positive action on this issue? sure beats trolling... :D

as i am trying to thread on this very carefully, another caveat. i am sure there are genuine relationships, thai-farang, out there that are based on love, trust and respect. where the thai partners would not dream of hurting their foreign spouses or fleecing their money. hopefully, the bad experiences of others will only help to cement their relationship and help them appreciate their spouses and marriages/relationships even more. let this not lead others to be cynical or start mistrusting their partners without any basis at all... each relationship is unique and is something that only the two of you can fix... in-laws NOT included, of course... :D

i do not know where all these "wisdom" is coming from. i am i think younger than a lot of you out there and certainly, not talking from experience at all. no need to ask...as long as it is heping...maybe it is not coming from me at all... maybe from somewhere or Someone we dare not ask so much for help. i am as surprised that i am writing this as you must be... really.... :o also i always knew my english was good but i myself am surprising myself...really!

good day to all... it is sunrise now as i write this....

Does Thailand really want to help us so called 'farangs'?

It would be so simple.

Firstly, the government should allow a 'farang' to own land, OK, set a limit of say 1 rai.

Secondly, the courts must by now be in a position to see through these Thai 'ladies', and award in favour of the 'farang', allowing of course for personal circumstances, such as legal/common law marriage, children born to that marriage.

From what I gather from this and similar threads, the courts are awarding at least 50% to the 'farang', and in many cases more than 50%.

It is a long process, but when your whole lifes savings are tied up, as is in this case, then it is worth fighting for.

Good luck with your new lawyer Eric1949, and for your hearing next month.

Please keep us informed, there are many of us routing for your success. A positive result will mean a lot to those in a similar position.

:o hello alittle advice for those planning to marry; get a prenuptial agreement made.

don't destroy the house,just cut it in half and destroy your half. this was done in california several years ago,and when the police ,came the gentleman gave them proof the he owned half, and was only destroying his half. he was not arrested.end of story.

maybe you should look into how she came by the other properties. may she has pulled the same stunt many times. if you can obtain proof,you can present the evidence in court.

mr smith[/b]

What would be the best advice I can give a very nice man who is about to throw his life savings away on some tart who has persuaded him to buy her a house. She won't marry him (wonder why ...?), claims kid's his but Thai man's name on birth cert (yawn). 30 year lease orrrrrrr, usufruct. Dear God, some of you, really ...

hello excuse me if im wrong but i dont think OP was persuaded to buy her a house ,i think he made the choice thru what he believed to be love(at the time.....and they did last 5 years so maybe love or she thought she could squeeze more out of him over time).he also didnt say she wouldnt marry him,he just said they werent married,maybe he didnt want to marry.i also dont think she claimed child was his as hes only been with her aprox 5 years and her daughter is an adult!!!

i am worried that he didnt wonder why she had so much property/land already.....this is a big clue to her greed as im sure was not bought by her,but maybe im wrong.

im sure she may have been to court previously and won all the properties she has ,which is why she may not give up easily although im sure she dont like spending money on a lawyer and travelling so it is god you dont just give up as thats what she will be hoping for.good luck

Oh, I do apologise, I was just piggybacking off this thread as I was too idle to start my own. But as there seem to be so many of you having gone through similar situations, thought one of you might be able to let me know what advice to give to another man about to embark on the a similar course of action, albeit without the benefit of marriage, (which, as I understand it would allow for a 50/50 split). I think if you read my post carefully again, sans beer chang next to keyboard, it will become clearer to you.

mrsmith:

Just make sure that you destroy the half containing the bathroom. If it also contains the part that has the TV it may be better!

I've just built a house for my wife, but I went in to it as a write off anyways since I don't see myself/us spending the rest of my life in Thailand. If things go badly, I'm not going to get too upset; just walk away. Of course I'm not in the same boat as most of TV members since I'm just getting ready to push into my third decade of life.

If you win and you get 50% of the house. Can you just measure the house and cut off 1/2 of the house and haul it away. It's been done in the states.

Nice idea Larryst.

Two things against that though.

When I built the house in '05, I had it built very strong. In fact it is probably the strongest house in Samui, if not Thailand. The external walls are at least 25cm thick, interior at least 15cm. It has two stories, with about 30cm thick reinforced concrete floors.

Second thing, even if was possible to cut it in half, would I really want to live next door to a woman who has threatened to kill me?

If you win and you get 50% of the house. Can you just measure the house and cut off 1/2 of the house and haul it away. It's been done in the states.

Nice idea Larryst.

Two things against that though.

When I built the house in '05, I had it built very strong. In fact it is probably the strongest house in Samui, if not Thailand. The external walls are at least 25cm thick, interior at least 15cm. It has two stories, with about 30cm thick reinforced concrete floors.

Second thing, even if was possible to cut it in half, would I really want to live next door to a woman who has threatened to kill me?

You don't have to live there. Just ask a few thais if they want anything worth while on your half of the house. Since they make about 150 baht a day. They can take the roof, wiring, windows, doors, scrap off all the cement blocks anything thats worth anything. Within a day or so your half would be gone.