Suing A Thai Lady

Eric1949

Yes I know about registering a company name to buy land and build a house...but I didn't.

So now I am looking forward, not back.

I put everything in my lady's name. Things have gone sour. I left the house in March 07, because of threats. We have been to court 3 times already. There is a good chance that I will win, and get back at least 50%. She has now delayed the next case hearing until Feb 09.

Has anyone been successful in suing a Thai lady in a similar situation?

please PM the op for more information

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know about registering a company name to buy land and build a house...but I didn't.

That isn't a solution, in fact it can be construed as illegal.

ET - He said...

...but I didn't. I put everything in my lady's name.

Nothing illegal about it.

sir it might help others if you cum clean and tell us wot happened.

if only one man can be saved froma a treacherous thai woman then yr experience will not have been in vain.

Ok Blizzard, I'll try to keep it short.

We met late 2000. Started living together late 2001, in Bangkok. We moved out of Bangkok late 2004, when I retired. I am now 58, she is 49. Early 2005 she started to get jealous (It is all in her mind, as I had never been with another woman. After almost 2 years of this, her accusations were getting dirtier and more intense, I told her I could not live with her anymore. She said she'd kill me if I left her. Anyway she and her daughter went to Bangkok in March 2007 and stayed away for 7 weeks. She never called me or anything. So I moved most of my stuff out of the house. Anyway, before she left I asked her for a 50/50 settlement. (I paid for everything, and still have receipts and bank transfers etc) She said no. I said that I would have to consult a lawyer, she said go ahead. My lawyer saw her, she said she wants all. We both went to see a senior monk, with my lawyer and her daughter. The monk told her she was a bad woman to me and she had better be careful as it may be her last time in this world. So I waited for 2 months to see if she'd change her mind. She didn't. We went to see a Court officer, and over 4 hours we came to a written compromise. We both signed it, this was in late September. In the compromise she acknowledges that I paid about 97%, and she had contributed about 3%. Now in court, she says she did not understand what she signed. The judge said it was too late to say that now. So she has now had the nxt hearing put back until Feb 2009. She is playing a game with me, and using any possible delaying tactic. There is also a lot of other things involved, but they were sorted out in the compromise. Only the land with the house remains for the judge to decide. But as I said she is delaying things. She wants a 4 day hearing, and 2009 is the first available. I am proceeding with other tactics, but cannot elaborate as I don't want anything to jeopardize the hearing. I am almost certain to get at least 50%. By the way my lawyer is on a no win no fee contract.

You use the words 'suing a lady' and 'taking her to Court'.

You do not use the words 'divorce settlement' as it seems that you are not married. Are you suggesting that she has violated some provision of the Thai Civil Code which would be the basis of a lawsuit? This may fall into your category of tactics, but it is hard to understand your legal maneuvers without knowing the basis of your complaint. I have heard of similar situations where, unless something was stipulated in writing, the assumption was that this was all a gift on your part.

I'd say that you should play the game- follow the rule of the courts to the letter and wait her out until 2009. If she has no other means of support, she will probably cave in before then.

Yes, do this if it isn't costing you any money or heartache. There may come a time when you decide to give up, but until then play the game. And don't forget to come back and let us know what happens - even if nothing happens until 2009.

Please ignore the morons on this forum - they love it when things like this happen to people.

Its been time and time a foreigner never learnt anything not to say only you Eric but lots of them . We have heard lots of this kind of stories over and over again. Why the hel_l this people never learn .

Yes i know its all about love in the first place but dont you ever learn or have plan B what will happen if the love never work out ?

Edited by tytus

I have a British friend in Chiang Mai who recently went through a divorce from a Thai and although the process took about two years he came out ok. The key issue was where the money came from to buy the house and the land and he was able to prove it cam from him from overseas. Result, 50/50 split.

You would never dream of putting a house in your girlfriend's/wife's name back in your home country, so why do it here? :o I just don't get it. :D

Coz the laws here do not allow individual foreigner to own land and building.

The law here does not allow a farang to own land but a farang can own a building.

You would never dream of putting a house in your girlfriend's/wife's name back in your home country, so why do it here? :o I just don't get it. :D

The law here does not allow a farang to own land but a farang can own a building.

Do you meant condo building or legally registered farang company that own a building. Care to clarify?

Do you meant condo building or legally registered farang company that own a building. Care to clarify?

Those are not the only options, but it hardly helps the OP to discuss here, too late.

@ Eric. I have on two occasions had to take thais to court, different circumstances however, but on both occasions won. One was actually a lawyer :o

The advice you have received above is good, just play it by the rules, and wait for the court date. As said above she may cave in before then. You say you are confident about winning, so there must be more to it than you have said.

Incidentally, I don't understand the bit about her, I presume her lawyer, asking for 4 court days. This is the judges decision based on how long he thinks it might take surely? Can you not do something about that?

Edited by yorkman

I know countless farangs who built houses in gf/wives names. Each and every one of them lost the house. When you do something like this, you are gifting the house to them. Write it off, you gave it to her. I'd say you have a lot of nerve to try and get back any portion. btw, it was very nice of you to build a house for the lady

B&B, I agree with you completely! In the past whenever girl friends have asked to borrow money I have said: "I won't loan it to you but I'll give it to you." That way everyone is happy.

A farang can buy a house or build a house and be the owner, in his or her own name, under Thai law - a company is not required for this purpose in fact, using a company solely for this reason is viewed as illegal. A farang cannot own land but can legally lease it. All of the foregoing is separate from condominium ownership rules.

You guys are being a little hard on the guy. This doesn't sound like a typical farang meets girl in bar and gives her house scenario. It sounds like he married her with the best of intentions and is now getting raked over by a paranoid wife which happens just as often in the west. Oh well old chap. I don't know what to say. The chances of you coming out of this one financially intact is pretty slim to be honest.

The chances of you coming out of this one financially intact is pretty slim to be honest.

No it is not, the chances are actually excellent that under Thai law he will receive 50%. The key issue is where the money came from to complete the purchase - if it came from overseas that proves his share of ownership, regardless of how the house is registered at the Land Office. Despite what we may like to think sometimes the facts are that Thai law is fair in many examples.

I realize it's a little late for the OP but the optimal way to manage such a purchase, and I refer to the house/structure here and not to the land, is to complete the sale/build and to register your ownership interest with the Land Office. The Land ownership can be in a different name but the land and the house must be linked in some way, e.g a lease document.

Edited by chiang mai

You would never dream of putting a house in your girlfriend's/wife's name back in your home country, so why do it here? :D I just don't get it. :D

A farang can buy a house or build a house and be the owner, in his or her own name, under Thai law - a company is not required for this purpose in fact, using a company solely for this reason is viewed as illegal. A farang cannot own land but can legally lease it. All of the foregoing is separate from condominium ownership rules.

Overlook the land lease option, my brain must be in the beer tank :o Cheers and have a happy holiday.

Edited by Thaising

You would never dream of putting a house in your girlfriend's/wife's name back in your home country, so why do it here? :D I just don't get it. :D

Overlook the land lease option, my brain must be in the beer tank :o

You're forgiven and I'm not that far behind you - heck it's Xmas after all!

Getting a mortgage seems like a good buffer for not losing the lot. Failing that, a lease is surely a must if one buys outright. All the best anyway, op, and if she does get the lot, which is doubtful she will going by what's occurring, you could go the 10k route to pep yourself up a bit. :o

Getting a mortgage seems like a good buffer for not losing the lot. Failing that, a lease is surely a must if one buys outright. All the best anyway, op, and if she does get the lot, which is doubtful she will going by what's occurring, you could go the 10k route to pep yourself up a bit. :o

Possibly, but that was not the OP asked.

And a reply to hint that you would, or indeed could resort to an underworld/mafia solution seems like pure Walter Mitty to me..

IMHO of course :D

sir it might help others if you cum clean and tell us wot happened.

if only one man can be saved froma a treacherous thai woman then yr experience will not have been in vain.

Ok Blizzard, I'll try to keep it short.

We met late 2000. Started living together late 2001, in Bangkok. We moved out of Bangkok late 2004, when I retired. I am now 58, she is 49. Early 2005 she started to get jealous (It is all in her mind, as I had never been with another woman. After almost 2 years of this, her accusations were getting dirtier and more intense, I told her I could not live with her anymore. She said she'd kill me if I left her. Anyway she and her daughter went to Bangkok in March 2007 and stayed away for 7 weeks. She never called me or anything. So I moved most of my stuff out of the house. Anyway, before she left I asked her for a 50/50 settlement. (I paid for everything, and still have receipts and bank transfers etc) She said no. I said that I would have to consult a lawyer, she said go ahead. My lawyer saw her, she said she wants all. We both went to see a senior monk, with my lawyer and her daughter. The monk told her she was a bad woman to me and she had better be careful as it may be her last time in this world. So I waited for 2 months to see if she'd change her mind. She didn't. We went to see a Court officer, and over 4 hours we came to a written compromise. We both signed it, this was in late September. In the compromise she acknowledges that I paid about 97%, and she had contributed about 3%. Now in court, she says she did not understand what she signed. The judge said it was too late to say that now. So she has now had the nxt hearing put back until Feb 2009. She is playing a game with me, and using any possible delaying tactic. There is also a lot of other things involved, but they were sorted out in the compromise. Only the land with the house remains for the judge to decide. But as I said she is delaying things. She wants a 4 day hearing, and 2009 is the first available. I am proceeding with other tactics, but cannot elaborate as I don't want anything to jeopardize the hearing. I am almost certain to get at least 50%. By the way my lawyer is on a no win no fee contract.

thanks for sharing story....hopefully a warning to those that may think of doing what you did.i think it should only go in thai name when you are prepared that at some point you may lose it all.i cant believe how greedy/calous/vindictive some of these ladies can be.i mean they come in the relationship with next to nothing and arent even happy when they take half of everything.in your case as shes being so greedy i would try and get as much as possible(ie more than 50 percent) and push your lawyer to do this.

i cant believe the judicary system in thailand......its not a good sign that the courts are so busy...says something :o .also surely someone there should say this shouldnt need a 4 day hearing,its quite straight forward as she had already admitted you put 97 percent in(can u get lawyer to point this out and say she is just doing it to delay).i would have thought a judge would only take minutes to decide what sort of settlement is reasonable as you both agree on the facts.

also i dont understand how many claim to be budhists but wont listen to a senior monk and quite happy to literally steal your money you put into land/house......didnt think this was how budhism was supposed to work!!money is the real god here for sure.its a shame.rant over.....wish you good luck mate.....meanwhile watch your back if you know what i mean :D