Norwegian Beaten Into Coma In Pattaya

Pattaya_Fox

Norwegian beaten into coma in Pattaya

Pattaya, Chon Buri - A Norwegian tourist was beaten by four Thai men outside a bar here early Sunday morning.

Geir Andre Sirevag, 26, remained unconscious at the Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

Rescuers found his unconscious body in a bush behind the bar, police said.

A witness told police that the tourist was beaten up by four Thai men at 2:30 am and they carried his body into the bush and fled on motorcycles.

The Nation

A Norwegian man, Mr. Geir Andre Sirevag, was brutally beaten and left for dead in a brush area, behind a group of beer bars.

On 30 December 2007, at 2:30am, Police Lieutenant Colonel, Pongsawat Wongwan, was informed that a man had been attacked and left in a brush area behind the Wonderful Bar Beer group on Pattaya Second Road. A group of Thai men had, reportedly, savagely beaten a young Norwegian man. The police, Sawang Boriboon Rescue and a team from Pattaya Memorial Hospital rushed to the scene of the incident.

The incident took place in an area that is covered by a ten rai pine tree farm behind the beer bar group, which consists of fifteen bars.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/index.php

Well we don't know the circumstances that led to this brutal attack - and probably never will - but incidents like this seem to be becoming more and more common.

Maybe the guy was drunk and provoked the attack, as often happens, but even so, this town after midnight seems to be becoming something of a no go area.

The Governor is starting a crusade on the traffic congestion - how about one on street crime?

Do they really want to bring this resort up to some kind of international standards, or are they happy to let it sink in it's own filth, depravity and lawlessness? :o

i still feel completely safe at any time of day or nite in bangkok or pattaya. I have lived in both places (currently pattaya). of course, i have live here almost a decade and know how to comport myself properly, don't get drunk, and follow local customs.

it is my opinion that all these so called attacks are provoked usually by drunken foreigners on holiday who totally disregard all norms of civilized conduct and are completely unaware of the local culture. well one cannot condone beating up someone like thihs reported case, the fact is that when you are in a foreign country, you must make some effort to know local customs. most of these attackers are uneducated people and once they are mad at something, you can't reason with them...they don't have the intellectual capacity to debate an issue...it's just get even especially if they have been insulted.

know local customs
:o

Yeah when you live here maybe, but how many tourists know that it’s a local custom to beat up strangers and often kill them if they not fit into what the Thai see as a normal civilisation.

But in a way I agree with you because if they know they will not come here and then again you could close the mentioned bar and many more, Permanent.

Well we don't know the circumstances that led to this brutal attack - and probably never will - but incidents like this seem to be becoming more and more common.

Maybe the guy was drunk and provoked the attack, as often happens, but even so, this town after midnight seems to be becoming something of a no go area.

The Governor is starting a crusade on the traffic congestion - how about one on street crime?

Do they really want to bring this resort up to some kind of international standards, or are they happy to let it sink in it's own filth, depravity and lawlessness? :o

There's no way that any law enforcement strategy can prevent the odd tourist bashing. What would you suggest they do? Post policemen at every beer bar?

Pattaya is growing rapidly with more tourists and expats coming here every year. These type of incidents are bound to happen in an area famous for wine, women and song. Shit like this can happen anywhere.

know local customs
:o

Yeah when you live here maybe, but how many tourists know that it's a local custom to beat up strangers and often kill them if they not fit into what the Thai see as a normal civilisation.

But in a way I agree with you because if they know they will not come here and then again you could close the mentioned bar and many more, Permanent.

Well i tend to not get drunk,i behave myself wherever i am and at the ripe old age of 58 can boast a beating free 18 years of living and visiting pattaya,.however i see tourists and expats all the time that id say deserve one on a regalar basis,. this was also true of their behavior in there homelands no doubt,.in the uk you can shout and probably throw a punch at a nightclub doorman and probably get away with it,.in thailand however you are likely to wake up in hospital ,if you are lucky, my advice is dont argue,cause scenes and be polite at all times, not easy for some but the basis for a quiet life,.

There's no way that any law enforcement strategy can prevent the odd tourist bashing. What would you suggest they do? Post policemen at every beer bar?

Pattaya is growing rapidly with more tourists and expats coming here every year. These type of incidents are bound to happen in an area famous for wine, women and song. Shit like this can happen anywhere.

You know as well as I do there there is virtually no effective police presence anywhere in Pattaya except to extort, trap foreign prostitutes, and to perform other dubious "serve and protect" duties. :D

I am suggesting that crime against farangs appears to be a lot more frequent than the "odd tourist bashing", if you believe half the local press reports , which are no longer reported in this forum as regularly as before.

Even when they manage to catch the occasional mugger or drug dealer, they are nearly always granted bail (or given very short prison sentences), and not infrequently ,the same culprits are later involved in yet more serious crimes against farangs - sometimes murder.

Of course you will never make Pattaya crime free, but there's a lot that could be done to make it safer than it is at present.

Oh well, the Darkside is pretty safe. So far :D

I heard of another more serious incident on Walking st last night?

I think i'll wait to see if its on the news before speaking incase its incorrect. :o

It is but might not make the news :D

Had a feeling about that hence me not saying anymore on the matter. :D

mayebe you are referring to a lone farang beaten by a bunch of cowardly thais in Soi Diamond

I think i'll wait to see if its on the news before speaking incase its incorrect. :o

mayebe you are referring to a lone farang beaten by a bunch of cowardly thais in Soi Diamond

I heard similar but thats why i'm not speaking more about it (as I don't know the facts). :D

Edited by davethailand

So u were there then? if not I would not comment. second hand information is not reliable.

You know as well as I do there there is virtually no effective police presence anywhere in Pattaya except to extort, trap foreign prostitutes, and to perform other dubious "serve and protect" duties. :o

I am suggesting that crime against farangs appears to be a lot more frequent than the "odd tourist bashing", if you believe half the local press reports , which are no longer reported in this forum as regularly as before.

Even when they manage to catch the occasional mugger or drug dealer, they are nearly always granted bail (or given very short prison sentences), and not infrequently ,the same culprits are later involved in yet more serious crimes against farangs - sometimes murder.

Of course you will never make Pattaya crime free, but there's a lot that could be done to make it safer than it is at present.

The irony is that Pattaya is perceived as being a safe place to visit by most tourists. Increasing police presence too much will destroy the fairly relaxed feel of Pattaya.

I certainly did see a number of a*holes tonight in Walking Street though...all foreigners. One a*hole walked up to our table in Walking Street and grabbed our water and helped himself to a drink. When I protested he gave us a very dirty look and the finger...I really had to restrain myself (my GF helped me out there).

If these are the type who are being beaten senseless then I'd have to say - go for it guys, beat 'em up because they really deserve it.

So u were there then? if not I would not comment. second hand information is not reliable.

as you are a newbie and i am not, i do not need you to tell me any of that. i stand by my ''comment''

You know as well as I do there there is virtually no effective police presence anywhere in Pattaya except to extort, trap foreign prostitutes, and to perform other dubious "serve and protect" duties. :o

The irony is that Pattaya is perceived as being a safe place to visit by most tourists. Increasing police presence too much will destroy the fairly relaxed feel of Pattaya.

I certainly did see a number of a*holes tonight in Walking Street though...all foreigners. One a*hole walked up to our table in Walking Street and grabbed our water and helped himself to a drink. When I protested he gave us a very dirty look and the finger...I really had to restrain myself (my GF helped me out there).

If these are the type who are being beaten senseless then I'd have to say - go for it guys, beat 'em up because they really deserve it.

Yep, lots of a*holes in Pat and they usually get what they deserve. I have respect for the thais when it comes to "taking out the trash". It's their land and their rules. Respect it or pay the consequence. I highly doubt the incident referred to in the post wasn't somehow provoked.

Increasing police presence too much will destroy the fairly relaxed feel of Pattaya.

I really struggle with this statement.

But what the heck... I can't be bothered - too hung over. :o

There is already too much police presence. Pattaya is "tamer" and "lamer" now.

Yep, lots of a*holes in Pat and they usually get what they deserve. I have respect for the thais when it comes to "taking out the trash". It's their land and their rules. Respect it or pay the consequence. I highly doubt the incident referred to in the post wasn't somehow provoked.

Whose side are you on?

Apparently the girls don't like losing at Connect Four.

This exclusive photo was taken moments before the "retaliation." (Joking)

Rudy47 - how did you come by the photo? Why was this poor fellow attacked? The girl in the photo sure looks nice - did jealousy play a part in what transpired?

Why don't those bastions of 'brave and fearless views' - The Nation and The Post - seldom report on these serious attacks on foreigners holidaying and residing here?

Increasing police presence too much will destroy the fairly relaxed feel of Pattaya.

But what the heck... I can't be bothered - too hung over. :o

Let me help you out. If a beach resort has armed policemen in large numbers all over the place, wouldn't the atmosphere be different?

But what the heck... I can't be bothered - too hung over. :D

Let me help you out. If a beach resort has armed policemen in large numbers all over the place, wouldn't the atmosphere be different?

If you insist.

Sometimes I despair! :o

know local customs
:D

Yeah when you live here maybe, but how many tourists know that it’s a local custom to beat up strangers and often kill them if they not fit into what the Thai see as a normal civilisation.

I think most any guide book, website, or travel agent advise travelers to make themselves aware of the general customs and taboos of the countries they are considering travel too. By definition, travel to another country is "foreign" to the one so doing and commonsense would dictate that people are different around the world. (That would be the reason for traveling to begin with.) Now, to you comment about beating up and/or killing those who don't fit into Thai culture, well, we know you are exaggerating to make a point but I don't think the point itself is valid. This is certainly NOT the case. It has been my experience (both from travel to LOS and now a resident for many years) that, in general, Thais are much MORE tolerant of misbehaving visitors than most countries. In order to provoke such an attack as described by the op, there must have been a serious breach of general civilized behavior by the Norwegian to get things started.

The main point, I guess, is that when you combine ignorance of local norms and customs, a likely very drunken foreigner, uneducated and envious local Thai lads, and likely some physical or verbal insults into the mix, the outcome is not going to be very good :o

Irrespective of if a guy deserves a whack or not, the fact that the guy is in coma, suggests that it was far more than just a slight tap. The sad thing is that, more often than not, a dispute between two people escalates into a situation where the "one" farang is set upon by 3 or 4 Thais with normally a pretty brutal ending.

I'm not taking sides on any of this, as often tourists bring trouble upon themeslves by acting like a pillock, but no one deserves to be knocked into a coma.

as you are a newbie and i am not, i do not need you to tell me any of that. i stand by my ''comment''

Common sense has nothing to do with the length of time one has been a member or posts on a forum, I ask your again were you there?, if so then I would suggest that you were not watching what happened.

Irrespective of if a guy deserves a whack or not, the fact that the guy is in coma, suggests that it was far more than just a slight tap.

There are 2 separate incidents being discussed here and I cannot say what happened in both, however the above is not necessarily true, A single punch if it is in the wrong place can kill or maim, there are many such recorded incidences.

I can state that the Soi Diana incident was provoked, this guy punched a Thai Girl in the face in a bar, when 2 more Thai girls intervened he assaulted them also. He was then given a good beating by the Thai Staff and friends.

As for the Norwegian I do not know of the circumstances so will not comment.

Where I was brought up there is NO excuse what so ever for a guy hitting a girl, that I am sure most will agree with.