American Tourist Killed After Falling Down Cliff On Phiphi Island

george

American tourist killed after falling down cliff on Phiphi Island

KRABI: -- An American tourist was killed when he fell down from a cliff early Tuesday.

Police said Michael Schwartz fell down a cliff while returning to his hotel at 3 am.

The man had been staying at the Kachita Hotel for a month. Police said the tourist went out to drink at a bar Monday night.

-- The Nation 2008-01-01

KRABI: -- An American tourist was killed when he fell down from a cliff early Tuesday.

Police said Michael Schwartz fell down a cliff while returning to his hotel at 3 am.

The man had been staying at the Kachita Hotel for a month. Police said the tourist went out to drink at a bar Monday night.

-- The Nation 2008-01-01

Poor bloke - went out to have a few drinks - and celebrate - and bring in the New Year. And then this. Another drink related accident - no doubt.

Condolences to his family. A year of terrible heartache and sorrow awaits them in 2008.

My heart goes out to them. RIP Michael.

Hmm I've been to Phi Phi Don a couple of times but where exactly is this cliff then?

-- The Nation 2008-01-01

I just don't see the point in risking it in a less developed country, why party near there while drunk, or even sober? I knew a kid who dropped 15+ ft onto his head last year, luckily he was rushed to the hospital in time and they relieved pressure on his brain etc etc. but his vision will be permanently damaged, since his eye nearly popped out.

WOW!! I was just in koh Phi Phi on vacation on Dec 25th. I am now back in California, I met Michael, this Michael at the bungalow I was staying at . He was on his laptop alot of the time and seemed to be doing business. I heard his accent and because he was an American as I am, I began talking to him. We had many long conversations over the next few days. He was a financial advisor and had been in Thailand for 6 months (or was it 3?). Anyway, He was talking about starting a Solar electric business and we joked about the local electric company not being happy about him cutting into their profits, Hmmmm? He was never drunk when I saw him over three days. He told me ha had been researching the world and especially the American economy and told me to sell my property as soon as I got back to the States. He predicted a total collapse of the American economy and said he was going to email me info on all this. He said that George Bush, the president of Mexico and the powers that be in Canada have already signed an agreement to create a AmericanEuro. One currency for the entire North American continent. we had lengthy discussion about all this and I felt like we had a great connection. He was a very intelligent man. He told me he was going to move to Phuket to have more access to the available Thai women. I excepted to receive emails from him but when I never heard from him I emailed the owner of the bungalow I was staying at and asked him to tell Michael to get in touch with me. Then I get an email that he died. The email said he was at the Apache Bar and fell on some rocks on his way home. Where is the Apache Bar? Is it near some cliffs? Doesn't all this sound strange? I am sad for his family and that I lost a new friend.

He said that George Bush, the president of Mexico and the powers that be in Canada have already signed an agreement to create a AmericanEuro. One currency for the entire North American continent.

Sounds like a nutcase. I don't know about the Mexican and US gentlemen and how much they have to consult their legislatures before such a radical move, but I know for a fact that Prime Minister Stephen Harper of Canada would have to get approval from a group of people known as a Parliament who would be unlikely to approve it without a great deal of argument.

He said that George Bush, the president of Mexico and the powers that be in Canada have already signed an agreement to create a AmericanEuro. One currency for the entire North American continent.

Sounds like a nutcase. I don't know about the Mexican and US gentlemen and how much they have to consult their legislatures before such a radical move, but I know for a fact that Prime Minister Stephen Harper of Canada would have to get approval from a group of people known as a Parliament who would be unlikely to approve it without a great deal of argument.

Michael was definatley not a nutcase and seemed very intelligent and of sane mind. He did have his opinions about the economy. Anyway, I guess that's all besdies the point. His death came as a shock to me and I am wondering if anyone out there knows of the APACHE BAR and how one could fall down a cliff , walking home from it. He was staying behind Cao Bella on PHI PHI? I don't know the island that well.

Several things may need to be taken into consideration. First, the use of the word "cliff" here may be nothing more than a hill with a sharp drop. It would also be of interest to find out his cause of death and time of death. He may have been injured and laid on the rocks a time before dying.

Very sorry for his family. This sort of stuff can happen easily. Walking in the dark and boom--I've come pretty close to falling down my own steps at home getting a glass of water.

RIP

I just don't see the point in risking it in a less developed country, why party near there while drunk, or even sober? I knew a kid who dropped 15+ ft onto his head last year, luckily he was rushed to the hospital in time and they relieved pressure on his brain etc etc. but his vision will be permanently damaged, since his eye nearly popped out.

Eh. So falling onto one's head from 15+ft and popping one's eye out is no problem when at home? :o

WOW!! I was just in koh Phi Phi on vacation on Dec 25th. I am now back in California, I met Michael, this Michael at the bungalow I was staying at . He was on his laptop alot of the time and seemed to be doing business. I heard his accent and because he was an American as I am, I began talking to him. We had many long conversations over the next few days. He was a financial advisor and had been in Thailand for 6 months (or was it 3?). Anyway, He was talking about starting a Solar electric business and we joked about the local electric company not being happy about him cutting into their profits, Hmmmm? He was never drunk when I saw him over three days. He told me ha had been researching the world and especially the American economy and told me to sell my property as soon as I got back to the States. He predicted a total collapse of the American economy and said he was going to email me info on all this. He said that George Bush, the president of Mexico and the powers that be in Canada have already signed an agreement to create a AmericanEuro. One currency for the entire North American continent. we had lengthy discussion about all this and I felt like we had a great connection. He was a very intelligent man. He told me he was going to move to Phuket to have more access to the available Thai women. I excepted to receive emails from him but when I never heard from him I emailed the owner of the bungalow I was staying at and asked him to tell Michael to get in touch with me. Then I get an email that he died. The email said he was at the Apache Bar and fell on some rocks on his way home. Where is the Apache Bar? Is it near some cliffs? Doesn't all this sound strange? I am sad for his family and that I lost a new friend.

Sounds like a nice bloke. All the best.

Edited by jackr

Maybe George Bush is the nutcase and fell for an April Fool's joke from the Mexican and Canadian presidents? :o

The Story

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Phi Phi pee turns deadly

KOH PHI PHI DON: An American tourist on holiday at Koh Phi Phi Don fell about five meters to his death after he stopped to relieve himself at a rocky outcrop on the way back to his bungalow after celebrating New Year’s Eve at a local bar.

Sub Lt Noppadon Klompong of the Krabi Muang District Police outpost on Koh Phi Phi Don identified the deceased as Michael Saul Schwartz, 64.

Lt Noppadon said he received a report about 6 am New Year’s Day of a dead Caucasian man.

The body of Mr Schwartz was found found face up, covered with bruises and wedged between two large boulders in a dark spot under a Bodhi tree.

Local people refer to the bluff from which he fell as hin lek fai [stone, iron and fire] because of the large boulders at its base, he said.

As his trousers were unzipped and covered with urine, Mr Schwartz is believed to have lost his footing and fallen down the slope after he stopped to urinate, he added.

Lt Noppadon estimated that Mr Schwartz died about three hours before his body was discovered.

Doctors at Krabi Hospital said that Mr Schwartz suffered five broken ribs, one of which punctured a lung, added Lt Noppadon.

Mr Schwartz had been a guest at Kachita Hotel on Koh Phi Phi Don for a month at the time of his death, he said.

A search of his room there uncovered an expired Israeli passport and a large quantity of medicine, perhaps indicating that he was suffering from an illness, the officer said.

The US Embassy has thus far been unable to contact any relatives to claim the body.

The Israeli Embassy has also been contacted in the hope of contacting his relatives, Lt Noppadon said.

Phuket Gazette

The Story

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Phi Phi pee turns deadly

KOH PHI PHI DON: An American tourist on holiday at Koh Phi Phi Don fell about five meters to his death after he stopped to relieve himself at a rocky outcrop on the way back to his bungalow after celebrating New Year’s Eve at a local bar.

Sub Lt Noppadon Klompong of the Krabi Muang District Police outpost on Koh Phi Phi Don identified the deceased as Michael Saul Schwartz, 64.

Lt Noppadon said he received a report about 6 am New Year’s Day of a dead Caucasian man.

The body of Mr Schwartz was found found face up, covered with bruises and wedged between two large boulders in a dark spot under a Bodhi tree.

Local people refer to the bluff from which he fell as hin lek fai [stone, iron and fire] because of the large boulders at its base, he said.

As his trousers were unzipped and covered with urine, Mr Schwartz is believed to have lost his footing and fallen down the slope after he stopped to urinate, he added.

Lt Noppadon estimated that Mr Schwartz died about three hours before his body was discovered.

Doctors at Krabi Hospital said that Mr Schwartz suffered five broken ribs, one of which punctured a lung, added Lt Noppadon.

Mr Schwartz had been a guest at Kachita Hotel on Koh Phi Phi Don for a month at the time of his death, he said.

A search of his room there uncovered an expired Israeli passport and a large quantity of medicine, perhaps indicating that he was suffering from an illness, the officer said.

The US Embassy has thus far been unable to contact any relatives to claim the body.

The Israeli Embassy has also been contacted in the hope of contacting his relatives, Lt Noppadon said.

Phuket Gazette

Michael told me he was from the Bay area in California. I would be surprised if he was an isreali. He was American , had no accent and told me that he was a financial advisor. This whole story is weird but I guess it could happen. The Bay area is up by San Fransisco.

It is more than possible he was a dual US/Israeli citizen. Not uncommon, in my experience.

We had a guest a few weeks back that had a similar incident, He was drunk, wandered into the jungle somehow and fell off some boulders in a similar manner. Came back covered in scratches and scrapes. I guess he should count himself lucky after reading this :o

drinking till 3 am and rock climbing do not mix :o LOS separates out the weak (physically and/or intellectually) very swiftly.

Gotta hand it to that publication "Pee Pee pee turns deadlee".. :o

Maybe that's how many Pattayan condo dwellers buy the farm as well, peeing off their balcony? Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

This whole thing is so strange for me because I was just in Phi Phi and I was hanging out with this guy Michael. He was intelligent, lucid, had a great history as well as a bright future, He was moving to Phuket and also thinking about starting a solar business in Phi Phi. He wasn't just some drunk who was in Thailand to score girls. I mean he did seem to be interested in woman because he spoke about them quite often and I believe that was the reason he wanted to move to Phuket. He had been researching the American economy for years and was going to email me a bunch of articles to read. I hate to read these posts passing him off as some drunk who peed and fell off a cliff and died. He was a real person and even though I didnt know him well, we connected and it came as a big shock to me. I read an article saying that no family has come forward and I am wondering if I should call the Phi Phi police and at least tell them what I know about him. Or should I stay out of it? I keep thinking he could have been followed from the bar and pushed. But I guess we'll never know.

Gotta hand it to that publication "Pee Pee pee turns deadlee".. :o

Maybe that's how many Pattayan condo dwellers buy the farm as well, peeing off their balcony? Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

This whole thing is so strange for me because I was just in Phi Phi and I was hanging out with this guy Michael. He was intelligent, lucid, had a great history as well as a bright future, He was moving to Phuket and also thinking about starting a solar business in Phi Phi. He wasn't just some drunk who was in Thailand to score girls. I mean he did seem to be interested in woman because he spoke about them quite often and I believe that was the reason he wanted to move to Phuket. He had been researching the American economy for years and was going to email me a bunch of articles to read. I hate to read these posts passing him off as some drunk who peed and fell off a cliff and died. He was a real person and even though I didnt know him well, we connected and it came as a big shock to me. I read an article saying that no family has come forward and I am wondering if I should call the Phi Phi police and at least tell them what I know about him. Or should I stay out of it? I keep thinking he could have been followed from the bar and pushed. But I guess we'll never know.

Americanroadman, don't take it too personal please.

I think what's written in the Phuket Gazette was quite realistic and I can't recall anybody calling him a drunk or about scoring girls. Obviously, since you knew the unfortunate guy, you feel sad and that's very understandable.

Maybe this has something to do with the accident:

"A search of his room there uncovered an expired Israeli passport and a large quantity of medicine, perhaps indicating that he was suffering from an illness, the officer said."

..but that's just guessing of course.

If this man was indeed 64, as the article wrote, and it was pitch black dark, he could indeed have fallen/slipped during urinating, even without drinking alcohol or maybe just a little; maybe the combination with or without his medication could have caused it.....pure speculation; also yours that he might have been followed from the bar.

An accident happens easy, not just in Thailand or on Koh Phi-phi.

Laopo