Renewal Of Retirement Visa

I am 51 and currently have a 12 month retirement visa which is due for renewal in June 2008. The reason for posting so early is because I have read various articles regarding the "money in the bank" requirement. I have been keeping 800,000 THB in a local Bank account and have already been through one renewal of the visa. However, after having a Pool built I dipped into that account which takes me below the 800,000 although this will be replenished before June 2008. My question is, does the 3 month in the Bank rule apply after I have already gone through the initial hoop of swapping to a retirement visa or do I just have to show that I have 800,000 THB in a Thai Bank Account when I go to immigration to renew my Visa? I have read various articles on this subject but there seems to be some confusion regarding this.

You can only ask the officers at the office you will be using - the the rule is 3 months per below quote from National Police Order 606/2006:

(4) Having the records of saving

money in the latest 3 months of

account book of any Bank in

Thailand not less than 800,000

Baht or

I renewed my retirement in December at Suan Plu office. They asked me to sign a legal document stating that I had been informed that I must have 800K deposited in a Thai bank account for at least 3 months prior to each renewal.

A very close friend at his first extension visit in Chiang Mai last month, was advised by the more than 10 year veteran immigration officer that he should make sure he satisfies the 90 day aging requirement for his 800K next year in November 2008.

He has had much more than 800k in long term fixed accounts in Thailand and ample backup documentation, so it wasn't an issue with his first renewal. The future caution from this "old pro" immigration officer in Chiang Mai leads me to believe that while you might be excused for humanitarian reasons, going into immigration in Chiang Mai on your second extension without 90 day aging is a perilous approach.

As background, this Senior Sargent I refer to is the big bear of a guy with the pleasant demeanor sitting in the recently established (2007) desk #5 and seems to be handling most of the retirement extension applications of late.

You can only ask the officers at the office you will be using - the the rule is 3 months per below quote from National Police Order 606/2006:

Baht or

does the quote finish by saying....."or at least 65000 baht per month income OR a combination of the savings and income'.............?

I have got extensions 2 years running,in bkk. by producing:-

Australian bank statements for the year showing income of over 65000 baht.

A stat dec.(has to be a letter now ???) from Aust embassy,Bkk. to verify them..

My Thai bank book showing entries of 65000 baht (or more) for the 3 months PRIOR to applying for the yearly ext.

A letter from the thai bank where acct. is held.

TM7 form withphoto.

Is there anything else,please ? ...I apply again Jan.20th and getting jittery.....thanks.

Physical check up form(same as when you apply for thai D.L......no problem)

Baht or

does the quote finish by saying....."or at least 65000 baht per month income OR a combination of the savings and income'.............?

My Thai bank book showing entries of 65000 baht (or more) for the 3 months PRIOR to applying for the yearly ext.

TM7 form withphoto.

Is there anything else,please ? ...I apply again Jan.20th and getting jittery.....thanks.

Medical check up not needed.

The question was about 800k method. Yes the regulation goes on to mention the 65k or combination.

I don't know where you process but I have never required home country bank statements or 65k payments into a bank account. I do have a bank account/letter with a fair amount in it but transfers are about every 4 months and the Embassy letter of 65k is the primary concern. As said there is no longer a medical requirement.

Baht or

TM7 form withphoto.

Medical check up not needed.

Thanks litebeer

LOPBURI 3......SORRY TO PUSH THE POINT.....DOES THE REST OF MY LIST OF REQUIREMENTS STILL GET ME THROUGH THE HOOP THIS YEAR OR HAVE THEY ADDED SOMETHING ?(I KNOW YOU'RE IN THE KNOW AND WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF YOU CAN PUT MY MIND AT REST )

Attn. of Lopburi 3 please,

Sorry Lopburi 3....forgot to cancel CAPS.(I was'nt shouting !)

I am so confused about this 65000 into thai sav. in the 3 months prior to applying.This came from Nongkai Immigration....actually,one guy told me it had to be 6 months !

However,last year I got through with the three months ,at Bkk. Imm. ..... now you tell me there's no requirement ?....Just the proof of earnings verified at Aust. Emb. ??If only I knew !

The reason I will show my Aust. Statements showing monthly income of $3.300 is so they can all see that this is well over their requirement even if I don't bring 65000 baht into my Thai acct every month.

Anyway,thanks for your help.(I hate Januarys and the yearly Immigration hassles and I'm sure I'm not Robinson Crusoe on this one !)

The has never been any such requirement at Bangkok that I am aware of (people process every day without that and I processed in June this year and have never made monthly transfers). The requirement is pension of 65k as listed in a letter from your Embassy. They do like to see an account/bank letter for the file but there is no specific requirement for that or what it contains. Nor is there any requirement for another more than Embassy letter as proof of pension. Very, very few people have ever been asked for supporting documents. The TM.7 form and a current photo (that is being checked). The 1,900 baht fee. You will have to fill out a short form of basic data (no TM number) or they will fill out for you; and sign. Basically appears to be the interviewing officer signing off that you meet requirements and they are responsible for you (so probably explains why some want more information at times).

The Police Order 606 Specific language is "Having evidence showing the monthly income not less than 65,000 Baht" and normally the Embassy letter is accepted as the supporting document for that. Only mention of three months account evidence is when using 800k bank deposit method. Obviously there appears to be some exceptions but it is difficult to tell if they are all requirements/alternatives/or just peoples trying to cover all possibilities.

The has never been any such requirement at Bangkok that I am aware of (people process every day without that and I processed in June this year and have never made monthly transfers). The requirement is pension of 65k as listed in a letter from your Embassy. They do like to see an account/bank letter for the file but there is no specific requirement for that or what it contains. Nor is there any requirement for another more than Embassy letter as proof of pension. Very, very few people have ever been asked for supporting documents. The TM.7 form and a current photo (that is being checked). The 1,900 baht fee. You will have to fill out a short form of basic data (no TM number) or they will fill out for you; and sign. Basically appears to be the interviewing officer signing off that you meet requirements and they are responsible for you (so probably explains why some want more information at times).

The Police Order 606 Specific language is "Having evidence showing the monthly income not less than 65,000 Baht" and normally the Embassy letter is accepted as the supporting document for that. Only mention of three months account evidence is when using 800k bank deposit method. Obviously there appears to be some exceptions but it is difficult to tell if they are all requirements/alternatives/or just peoples trying to cover all possibilities.

Hi 'lopburi3' Just a quick comment as my wife and I have just returned from the Hua-Hin Immigration office after renewing our 'Retirement Visa' and yes it does say in our passports 'Retirement Visa' this with reference to our previous thread where we discussed the nomination of the Visa.

Re the photo YES they DID ask for a new picture. Otherwise everything as you said is correct.

Edited by cheshiremusicman

...Just a quick comment as my wife and I have just returned from the Hua-Hin Immigration office after renewing our 'Retirement Visa' and yes it does say in our passports 'Retirement Visa' this with reference to our previous thread where we discussed the nomination of the Visa.

This is interesting. You applied at the Hua Hin immigration office for an annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement, you received this extension, and the immigration officer stamped your passport with “Retirement Visa”? Are you quite sure it says “Retirement Visa”, not just “Retirement”?

--

Maestro

Thank you, Lite Beer. I haven’t had an extension stamp since 1972. You’re right, different offices probably use different stamps. And today’s stamp in Bangkok may be different from that used 35 years ago:

post-21260-1199439527_thumb.jpg

--

Maestro

Hi lopburi3,

Just seen your additional post concerning my confusion.re. Retirement ext.....THANKS very much for clearing that up,hopefully I should have no problem at Bkk. Imm. later this month as long as the Aust. Emb.give me a letter to confirm my income.....so much for the b.....t I was told at Nongkai Imm.They seem to be notorious at being difficult and unfriendly.....this is an understatement !You can check out how many falangs have had problems there by looking logging onto Udonmap.com forum.

I will post again,hopefully with good news and update everybody on the requirements I had to meet.

Thanks again Lopburi 3 and best wishes for the new year....to you and all !

...Just a quick comment as my wife and I have just returned from the Hua-Hin Immigration office after renewing our 'Retirement Visa' and yes it does say in our passports 'Retirement Visa' this with reference to our previous thread where we discussed the nomination of the Visa.

This is interesting. You applied at the Hua Hin immigration office for an annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement, you received this extension, and the immigration officer stamped your passport with “Retirement Visa”? Are you quite sure it says “Retirement Visa”, not just “Retirement”?

--

Maestro

Spot on 'Maestro' the word 'Retirement' was hand written above the stamp, sorry for the confusion.

Just a quick comment for anybody that is interested - The Hua-Hin Immigration office have always been most helpful and courteous to us whenever we have had dealings with them, so if you are not too far away it might be worthwhile using them.

Please correct my understanding of the requirements and procedures for obtaining a retirement visa.

I have a non-immigrant(O-A) visa with a multiple entry permit, good from November 13,2007 until November 12,2008.

I understand I must visit an immigration office every three months while in Thailand in order to extend my stay. What documents(outside of the visa) I need to bring with me I am ignorant of.

If I wish to apply for a retirement visa while in Thailand, I must show proof of having either 880,000 baht in a Thai bank for the three months prior to applying for this visa or a statement from my bank(supported by a letter from the American Embassy in Thailand) stating my monthly income is at least 65,000 baht. I must reapply for the retirement visa for each of three years(in succession) to insure that I will receive the retirement visa, enabling me to retire in Thailand without having to reapply each year following the initial three years.

Please correct, modify or otherwise straighten me out before I leave the States for Thailand on January 22nd.

Please correct my understanding of the requirements and procedures for obtaining a retirement visa.

I have a non-immigrant(O-A) visa with a multiple entry permit, good from November 13,2007 until November 12,2008.

I understand I must visit an immigration office every three months while in Thailand in order to extend my stay.

What documents(outside of the visa) I need to bring

None.

The 3 month reporting can also be done by post.

If I wish to apply for a retirement visa while in Thailand, I must show proof of having either 880,000 baht in a Thai bank for the three months prior to applying for this visa

or a statement from my bank(supported by a letter from the American Embassy in Thailand) stating my monthly income is at least 65,000 baht.

It is 800K, not 880K.

I must re-apply for the retirement visa for each of three years(in succession) to insure that I will receive the retirement visa, enabling me to retire in Thailand without having to reapply each year following the initial three years.

As a retiree you are not eligble for a Residence Permit.

You will have to renew your retirement status every year until you pop your clogs.

If you have an OA visa valid for multi entry you do not visit immigration to extend your stay as you will be stamped in for one year on any entry. The only reason to visit immigration would be to do 90 day address reports if you do not travel out of Thailand during that time. Nothing is required but to fill out a TM.47 form, and photo copies of passport/arrival card if you do this reporting by mail.

You can use an entry just before Nov 12 and get stamped until early November 2009 so there is no need to extend in Thailand until after that date. After November 12 this year you will require a re-entry permit for any travel outside of Thailand to keep your then permitted to stay until stamp alive.

Once the time comes for extension of stay in Thailand (about 30 days before your permitted stay expires) you visit Immigration with proof of 800k in bank account for previous 3 months or 65k per month pension in Embassy letter or a combination to make the 800k total per year. You should have a local bank account passbook and letter from bank of account balance with you. You do this every year that you want to stay here. You do not receive any exemption after three years.

There is no such thing as a "retirement visa" and you seem to confuse permeate residence (PR) with retirement. You will not qualify for that under retirement extensions of stay - only those working and paying tax on local income of more than 80k per month seem to be given consideration currently. The three years on extensions of stay is a pre-requisite for application.

I am 51 and currently have a 12 month retirement visa which is due for renewal in June 2008. The reason for posting so early is because I have read various articles regarding the "money in the bank" requirement. I have been keeping 800,000 THB in a local Bank account and have already been through one renewal of the visa. However, after having a Pool built I dipped into that account which takes me below the 800,000 although this will be replenished before June 2008. My question is, does the 3 month in the Bank rule apply after I have already gone through the initial hoop of swapping to a retirement visa or do I just have to show that I have 800,000 THB in a Thai Bank Account when I go to immigration to renew my Visa? I have read various articles on this subject but there seems to be some confusion regarding this.

i have just brought over a sum of money for my retirement visa for a renewal by the 22nd of this month, as when i asked about the 3 months requirement they replied that it was just for the first time you apply. or at least they say this where i renew

i have just brought over a sum of money for my retirement visa for a renewal by the 22nd of this month, as when i asked about the 3 months requirement they replied that it was just for the first time you apply. or at least they say this where i renew

It seems to depend on what Immigration Office you ask. Some say yes, some say no.

i have just brought over a sum of money for my retirement visa for a renewal by the 22nd of this month, as when i asked about the 3 months requirement they replied that it was just for the first time you apply. or at least they say this where i renew.

Suan Plu (immigration office in Bangkok) 100% now require the money to be in the bank for 3 months prior to application, and they make you sign a form stating you've been told that.

Hi all,

Ive had two OA retirement visas, which I got in Canberra, then a third which was renewed last Feb.

One point that might be worth adding to what others have already said is that the 'letter' that you get from the Oz embassy here is actually just a stat dec which they take no responsibility for the truthfulness of.

I have kept up the 800k in a local bank requirement, and also take in evidence of my Oz pension payments.

I actually was married to my Thai girlfriend a few months before I went in to Suan Plu in February, and put this on my application as well, but they ignored it and just gave me another OA retirement visa for 12 months, then I paid the extra to get multiple entry.

I have no plans to go for PR here.

hope this may help,

Glen

I just got mine again for the third time, I asked about that and was told that as long as the account was an old one you start before, all they really wanted to see was that you had the 800,000 B in the account. Hope that help out. JM

Some offices will accept not having the money in the bank for 3 months on renewal - but Suan Plu certainly will not - see my post above. Before trying, check what the office you are going to use will accept, or won't accept.

Some offices will accept not having the money in the bank for 3 months on renewal

I have read this being said about the Jomtien (Pattaya) office and that in lieu of the 3-month seasoning they accept copy of a credit card or ATM card, althogh this is not part of the official rules.

Still subject to confirmation by people who did in fact obtain an extension this way, I believe.

--

Maestro

I understand I must visit an immigration office every three months while in Thailand in order to extend my stay. What documents(outside of the visa) I need to bring with me I am ignorant of.

If I wish to apply for a retirement visa while in Thailand, I must show proof of having either 880,000 baht Not finding fault but just in case it,s not a misprint, it,s 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for the three months prior to applying for this visa or a statement from my bank(supported by a letter from the American Embassy in Thailand) stating my monthly income is at least 65,000 baht. I must reapply for the retirement visa for each of three years(in succession) to insure that I will receive the retirement visa, enabling me to retire in Thailand without having to reapply each year following the initial three years.

Please correct, modify or otherwise straighten me out before I leave the States for Thailand on January 22nd.