Transformer For 120 Volt Light System...?

kbvicar

I have a new T5 fluorescent fixture. 8 bulb x 54 watt each= 432 total watts. 120 volt power supply @ 60 hertz.

This unit was supposed to have a "smart ballast" that would work on Thai power. I can't send it back to USA because the shipping costs are prohibitive.

Does anyone recommend getting a step-down transformer for this unit??? What specs should I look for??? Where do I look for it???

Edited by kbvicar

I have a new T5 fluorescent fixture. 8 bulb x 54 watt each= 432 total watts. 120 volt power supply @ 60 hertz.

This unit was supposed to have a "smart ballast" that would work on Thai power. I can't send it back to USA because the shipping costs are prohibitive.

Does anyone recommend getting a step-down transformer for this unit??? What specs should I look for??? Where do I look for it???

First thing to do is check if it really does have a universal ballast, you may have to have the lid off and look at the ballast itself, if it says 100-240V 50/60Hz then it should work.

If it has 110V ELECTRONIC ballasts then a transformer rated at 500Watts should do fine (electronic ballasts don't worry about the frequency).

If it has 110V 60Hz CONVENTIONAL (inductive) ballasts then they are scrap and you'll need to replace them with locally sourced units. WARNING 60Hz ballasts will overheat and may catch fire if run on 50Hz

Actually replacing the ballasts is probably the cheapest way to go rather than a Tx

Edited by Crossy

Most US flourescent light fixtures have multi-voltage ballasts today, especially with the T5 lamps. They are good for anything between 100 and 277V, 50 or 60Hz. Look for a MVOLT-GEB in the packaging.

What brand and model number is the fixture?

Thanks Crossy and tjo. Both ballasts are under the reflector which is secured by 16 screws. I tried removing the screws but they are way too tight and I don't risk stripping them. The ballasts are def electronic-- not magnetic.

The product sheet says "120 volt only". The model # is 960305.

post-55384-1199674009_thumb.jpg

post-55384-1199674092_thumb.jpg

Edited by kbvicar

Even though it states 120V only on the outside, it may still be worth persevering with the lid to examine the actual ballasts. Since it came from China and the Chinese are not ones for making two types when one will do, it may actually have universal ballasts under the hood, the 120V labelling being for US regulation purposes.

Otherwise a 5-600W+ transformer is the way to go. Like tjo I've not seen T5 ballasts here, although I've not actually looked for them.

You'll need a new ballast to make it work. This is a grow-light that is cord-and-plug connected, hence the single-voltage specification. I am not sure where you can find a suitable T5 ballast in Thailand, though.

I'll look for local lighting companies on the web -- same place I found the ballast I can use...

"Advance Ballasts 'CENTIUM' model Intellivolt ballast # ICN-4S54-90C-2LS-G".

Looks like they don't have any distributors in Thailand though. Either that or find a transformer. Thanks

I just got this off of Alibaba, so no personal experience, but you can try Thai Energy Conservation Co., Ltd.. They do list T5 ballasts, and appear to be a compact form factor.

Thanks tjo

Their representative just called back and says he's located exactly what I need (it sounds like they are the ONLY 2 ballasts left in Thailand haha). Good price also.

We shall see... :o