Swedish Tourist Hurt Because Of Unfinished Construction Work On The Thappraya Road In Jomtien.

Pattaya_Fox

Swedish Tourist hurt because of unfinished construction work on the Thappraya Road in Jomtien.

For many months we have been reporting on the poor state of the Thappraya Road which leads to Jomtien Beach. The City Administration undertook road widening work which has yet to be completed. Some sections of the road are clearly dangerous, with large exposed holes which are not covered in any way. Many people who choose to walk along the road have fallen foul to the dangers relating to the unfinished construction work and this is one such example which occurred on Friday Night. Mr. and Mrs. Svenson from Sweden were walking along the road opposite Bruno’s Restaurant when Mrs. Ingrid Svenson aged 60 fell into a deep hole, injuring her right leg. A rescue unit was called to transport the woman to Hospital where she was treated for cuts and bruises. We have today sent a copy of this report along with pictures to the Mayors office at Pattaya City Hall for his consideration.

Pattaya City News

Saturday 5th January 2008

post-15964-1199545376_thumb.jpgpost-15964-1199545393_thumb.jpg[

attachment=49033:sweedish_tourist_2.jpg]

post-15964-1199545855_thumb.jpg

negligence

the negligence , surely , is in not looking where you are walking.

I think if you were to look at the picture it is pretty obvious that to get round this hole you would need to walk in the road and the manor of driving in Thailand you would need to get of the road quick, this is a new construction that is not even completed that is already falling to pieces, typical of corrupt way that contracts are tendered for by Thai and foreign companies that do crap jobs.

Further more City Hall's has neglected sidewalks for far to long, where there are sidewalks they are often to small, obstructed with public utility hardware and street vendors, I know instances where a restaurant started a few years ago to put extra tables on the sidewalk under the trees that lined the road, now he has totally barricaded off the sidewalk at both ends of his property forcing pedestrians to walk in the road, I also know a place where there is a phone box right in the middle of the sidewalk, the owner of the property adjacent has put up a barrier to stop pedestrians using his property to get round this obstruction so again pedestrians are forced to walk in the road.

City Hall's wants to change Pattaya's image to more family orientated place yet if it fails to make the streets safer it will not be able to to entice any other than those who come for the services of the "City Fathers" daughters.

BB

City Hall's wants to change Pattaya's image to more family orientated place yet if it fails to make the streets safer it will not be able to to entice any other than those who come for the services of the "City Fathers" daughters.

on another thread , when someone complained about the lack of safety and responsibility here in thailand , many posters said that that very lack of "rules" , the absence of the "nanny state attitude" so prevalent in european countries these days and the fact that you have to look out for yourself at literally every step is what actually attracts people to thailand.

if you want safety and smooth sidewalks , then go on vacation to switzerland or eurodisneyland.

i do feel sorry for the woman falling into that chasm , but it was an accident due to a combination of her carelessness and the incompetence and lack of foresight of the thai construction workers and those that supervise them. she really should have been watching her step more.

but who is the woman going to sue ? the tessabaan for shoddy work or god himself for causing her to be born into a less than perfect world.

negligence

It's quite possible that the cement was cracked and collapsed under her weight. It's what I thought when I first looked at the photo.

Tappraya Road, the main road from Pattaya to Jomtien, is in shambles, there are large gaping holes in the sidewalk and the sewer runs directly underneath, the road itself is falling apart(asphalt not done correctly). And on the inland side of the road the sidewalk and road has disappeared in some spots leaving the sewer water to meander along the side of the road in the gutter. Meanwhile as the infrastructure lies in shameful ruin, every developer this side of Los Angeles is plopping down huge developments. And really, with labor and material so cheap here, I doubt it would cost more than a few thousand US dollars to repair this mess. Chonburi Province is rich on tax revenue, you'd think it would be in there best interest to rectify this face losing disaster.

negligence

It's quite possible that the cement was cracked and collapsed under her weight. It's what I thought when I first looked at the photo.

It's got a stick poking out of the hole what more could you wish for?

Seriously though if you look at the cement and re bars carefully in the picture it tells a story.

The cement is about 5 cm thick and looks like it has been laid OVER the re bars instead of the re bars being embedded inside the concrete. This is typically the depth of a cement floor screed and as such has no strength to withstand a direct blow or maybe cars running over it sometimes. Also it does not look like the mix contains granite (Granite is expensive remember)

Thus the re enforced concrete is not re enforced concrete at all, simply a 5cm cement screed over a steel web with possibly, at one time a piece of plywood as form work laid over the steel re bars so the cement can be poured onto something, it follows that sooner or later that plywood form will rot and the cement screed will collapse through the bars. Only one bar at the thick part on the front appears to be inside the cement mix.

Well that's my humble observations for what it's worth based on what I know about construction methods and concrete.

Would need to see the actual though to confirm the method of construction but at the end of the day TIT and sad as it is who cares?

Further more City Hall's has neglected sidewalks for far to long, where there are sidewalks they are often to small, obstructed with public utility hardware and street vendors, I know instances where a restaurant started a few years ago to put extra tables on the sidewalk under the trees that lined the road, now he has totally barricaded off the sidewalk at both ends of his property forcing pedestrians to walk in the road, I also know a place where there is a phone box right in the middle of the sidewalk, the owner of the property adjacent has put up a barrier to stop pedestrians using his property to get round this obstruction so again pedestrians are forced to walk in the road.

Sidewalks in Thailand are 'optional' as most land and property titles include the sidewalk, hence the local authorities are obviated from providing maintenance on them and the property owners can do what they want with them.

In this instance, it looks like a poorly constructed or damaged cover on a street storm drain and I would not be surprised if it did crack under the victims weight if it was badly made or damaged by a heavy vehicle. The victim should consider claiming recompense for medical expenses. I am sure this one has enough media coverage to be the city's undeniable liability.