Life In Uk Test

Hi Rj,

I am confused again by this...6 days and she can get ILR? My local college states it will be from now until June and then she will take her exam then? Also the course has to include citizenship and the UK test has tobe taken after that?

From what you are saying she can do a 6 day course and then apply for ILR without taking the test, then later apply for citizenship. I feel that tobe to easy from what facts the college and people have given me?

:o

Hi folks

Today the missis passed her ESOL course. It was a verbal exam in which she had to answer questions posed by the lady who came down from the home office. Then they had to have conversations with each other about various different everyday life situations.

In total she had to attend college for 6 full days plus a day yesterday for revision and today for the exam itself. The teacher said she would phone her a week on Friday with her actual score and she will receive her certificates 3 weeks from now. So for anybody in the same situation this course is definately worth it.

All thats left to do now is gather all our letters and bank statements in prep for applying for ILR. The teacher also said that if my wife wants to apply for British Citizenship (ie, British Passport) then she can do the second level of ESOL course as the one she has just undertaken was ESOL level 1. For British Citizenship, level 2 is required. Is this correct? Also can we apply for British Citizenship instead of ILR or at the same time as ILR, thus saving applying for it in the future? Cheers guys.

Hello, compared to you guys I'm only at early stage where my fiancee and I are currently applying for a fiancee visa.

Sorry if this question seems a bit daft right but, I understand the importanc eof getting ILR but what is so important about becoming a British citizen. What is to be benefitted from that. I know there must be reasons, please let me know. For starters, the biggest benefit for us is painless travel - no Visas required for most countries & even if they are, it's much simpler with a UK passport. She also has the right to have her say & vote in a proper democracy - well certainly much closer to the ideal model than Thailand.

Hello, compared to you guys I'm only at early stage where my fiancee and I are currently applying for a fiancee visa.

Sorry if this question seems a bit daft right but, I understand the importanc eof getting ILR but what is so important about becoming a British citizen. What is to be benefitted from that. I know there must be reasons, please let me know. For starters, the biggest benefit for us is painless travel - no Visas required for most countries & even if they are, it's much simpler with a UK passport. She also has the right to have her say & vote in a proper democracy - well certainly much closer to the ideal model than Thailand.

ok thanks. I can understand the travel aspect being useful to some people,but its not at all difficult to get a visa to travel to any EU country on a Schenzen visa for a holiday, and it's a peice of cake to travel to neighbouring Thai countries such as Laos, Vietnaam, Cambodia. I don't ''get'' the voting part of it, my wife could have my vote if she likes, I haven't voted in years, there's nothing worth voting for, politicians are all in it for themselves.

I think gettig ILR would be the ultimate for my wife and I personally, each to their own though, I must be missing something still.

ok thanks. I can understand the travel aspect being useful to some people,but its not at all difficult to get a visa to travel to any EU country on a Schenzen visa for a holiday, and it's a peice of cake to travel to neighbouring Thai countries such as Laos, Vietnaam, Cambodia. I don't ''get'' the voting part of it, my wife could have my vote if she likes, I haven't voted in years, there's nothing worth voting for, politicians are all in it for themselves. Not difficult to get a Schengen Visa for a holiday but, inconvenient, especially if you're wanting to travel at short notice & often. Later in the year we're going to Egypt and without her British Citizenship, it would require a trip to London or, sending her Thai Passport in the post & she'd also have to register with the police when we were there. Tunisia - 3 weeks minimum time required for obtaining a Visa. We like to stopover in the middle east whenever we return from Thailand and that too can be problematic & certainly restrictive timewise i.e. For Dubai, I believe Thai passport holders are limited to 72 hours for a stopover without obtaining Visas. As you say, it is useful to some people & we fall into that category, barring family emergencies our return trips to Thailand will now be biennial - there's plenty of other places I still want to see & my Wife is likewise minded. I always vote - though I admit it's often a protest vote, but let's stay on topic.

I think gettig ILR would be the ultimate for my wife and I personally, each to their own though, I must be missing something still. You have to decide what's most beneficial to your own circumstances.