Fire Breaks Out At 52-storey Building In Ratchada

Jai Dee

Fire breaks out at 52-storey building in Ratchada

30061643-01.jpg

A fire broke out at 52-floor Cyber World Building on Ratchada Pisek Road early Wednesday, causing heavy traffic congestion in the area.

Police said the fire broke out on the 17th floor at 3 am and quickly spread to higher floors.

Fire engines took about an hour to control the blaze. Fire fighters could enter the building at about 4 am.

Police closed the section of the road from Rama IX Intersection to Huay Kwang Intersection, leading to traffic snarls in the area. The road was opened at about 6 am to try to alleviate the congestion.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Wallop Suwandee said the building was under construction so there was no one inside when the fire started.

The building is owned by TTC group.

Source: The Nation - 09 January 2008

Actually the owner is TCC Group, (a JV between Khun Charoen of Beer Chang and MehKong fame and CapitaLand) the same owners as Empire Tower, Athenee Tower, Plaza Athenee Hotel, and the Imperial Hotel Group.

The complete renovation of this property was almost finished. They were at the stage where they could accommodate on-site inspections, and were open to inquiries from commercial tenants.

However, personally I am not aware of any firms who had actually committed to rent here, this latest news certainly wont help, but I very much doubt that it was arson as alluded to in the Bangkok Post, one thing this group is not short on is finances.

Huge Ratchada fire

A spectacular blaze broke out this morning and enveloped the old Tokyu Department Store and the entire, unfinished 30-storey adjacent skyscraper at Ratchadaphisek. No casualties were reported.

Flames leapt more than 100 metres into the sky as the fire consumed the skyscraper, which dominates the area skyline.

It was unoccupied, after being abandoned at the halfway point by construction teams in 2002.

The old Tokyu Department Store building at the foot of the tower also burst into flames after the fire started, reportedly on the 17th floor and therefore out of the reach of the fire trucks that responded.

The fire started just before dawn, just as the morning rush hour started. The Ratchadaphisek Road intersection is a major commuter route.

The identity of the current owner and management of the complex were not immediately available.

But newspaper reports from 1998 said the Ratchada Square complex was held and managed by State Man Co Ltd, a firm close to Santi Prompattana, a well-known politician.

By coincidence, the site of the fire is virtually adjacent to land at the centre of criminal charges against Khunying Potjaman, wife of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who returned to Thailand to hear the charges less than a day before the fire.

Fires in abandoned businesses in Bangkok often are believed to be arson, committed for insurance reasons. Forensic detectives likely will closely investigate this fire for any signs of arson.

Edited by quiksilva

Police said the fire broke out on the 17th floor at 3 am and quickly spread to higher floors.

Fire engines took about an hour to control the blaze. Fire fighters could enter the building at about 4 am.

thats an amazing performance by the firemen.

to control that size of fire within an hour ..... well done.

I'd be interested to know how they did that. Going by the photo there is fire all the way up the building...how would they have reached the fire up to 52 floors? Maybe they released water from a roof top storage tank.

That was my thought. The amount of flammable material must have been very limited seeing how the fire started on the 17th floor, and that itself is a feat to get there. Was there a sprinkler system?

I was next door to a highrise fire near the Asoke BTS station a week ago and was impressed by the fire crew response. They were disciplined and hit that fire fast. Even the responding policemen were quick to get the usual sidewalk gawkers out of harm's way.

In a city where chaos seems the norm at times, where sois are narrow and congested, how these firemen do what they do is amazing. It's a job I wouldnt want, but then I reckon the firemen would say it's a job they'd never give up.

Have no idea how they reached 17th floor with all their gear in one hour, let alone be able to put the fire out on the remaining 52-17=35 floors, the building looks like a giant torch on the photographs.

Roof-top tanks or sprinklers - it worked really well.

I live near this building and at our condo block everybody had to leave in case the fire spread so I pretty much watched the whole thing. Because the building still had some work going on it has sheeting/scaffolding up on the outside which is what was burning mostly. The actual building, and inside on the floors didn't catch fire properly, so whilst the fire looks impressive in the pics in reality it wasn't quite so bad.

I was on the 'wrong' side of the building to see any fire crews but I expect they were putting out burning debris and keeping the base of the building from catching fire rather than fighting the fire elsewhere which was left to burn out by itself.

It was a big fire though, lots of burning debris fell down, very surprised it didn't spread further.

Edited by burman

Authorities investigate fire at Tokyu

Deputy Governor of Bangkok Wallop Suwandee (วัลลภ สุวรรณดี) revealed that a fire broke out at the original Tokyu building located across from Robinson Department Store Racthadapisek. The building was being renovated after being abandoned for many years. Tokyu use to be a vibrant department store and office building.

The fire began at 4 AM this morning and was subdued at 6 AM. Renovations left large amounts of flammable objects in the building causing the blaze to spread quickly through the structure and fueled the flames as fire fighters sprayed water. The fire temporarily impaired traffic on the road.

Authorities are investigating the cause of the fire but initial theories attribute the flames to standard hazards in the construction area. City officials are also inspecting the building’s damage to deem if it is still safe.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 January 2008

BMA deems Tokyu hazard zone

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Governor Apirak Kosayothin revealed that authorities have inspected the Tokyu building which recently experienced a fire. The 53 story building was swamped with damage from its 10th to 52nd floor.

Cleaning crews have been sent into the building and around the area to clear debris which has endangered citizens. Plates of glass that fell from the building devastated a car show room that was next to the once department store. Earlier, enough debris had been cleared to allow traffic to continue on Ratchadapisek road.

Authorities have now reported though that the building has received extensive damage and have deemed the structure a hazard zone. Traffic immediately surrounding the building has been detoured.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 January 2008

Hi :o

I've just sen it on TV. While the blaze certainly looked spectacular, it was more a straw fire - what was burning was plastic foil and sheeting only on the outside of the building. Same holds true for the second building that was on fire, there too it was nothing but outside plastic stuff. The "only" damage to the building is pretty much all glass surface on one side.

Question is - how can that type of stuff catch on fire? Arson?

Best regards....

Thanh

I'd be interested to know how they did that. Going by the photo there is fire all the way up the building...how would they have reached the fire up to 52 floors? Maybe they released water from a roof top storage tank.

Yes, "Towering Inferno' is required viewing for all firefighters.

Actually the owner is TCC Group, (a JV between Khun Charoen of Beer Chang and MehKong fame and CapitaLand) the same owners as Empire Tower, Athenee Tower, Plaza Athenee Hotel, and the Imperial Hotel Group.

The complete renovation of this property was almost finished. They were at the stage where they could accommodate on-site inspections, and were open to inquiries from commercial tenants.

However, personally I am not aware of any firms who had actually committed to rent here, this latest news certainly wont help, but I very much doubt that it was arson as alluded to in the Bangkok Post, one thing this group is not short on is finances.

You reckon? (sorry - couldn't resist..) :o

Seriously though, this was one of those 1997 skeletens that was finally being finished. The news report you posted also said that often arson is involved. I can't help but wonder if the property oversupply coupled with economic slowdown is going to have a ripple effect on other building 'fires' - sure hope not.

Insurance companies may need to start demanding that more steps are taken to defend against arson/accidental fires in buildings presently under construction.

Yes, "Towering Inferno' is required viewing for all firefighters.

All smartass comments aside, I'm still waiting for someone to offer a plausible explanation on how fire fighters managed to put out flames on a 52 storey building in a few hours.

Perhaps the fire just burnt itself out and the fire department is taking credit for it.

Edited by tropo

Actually the owner is TCC Group
Huge Ratchada fire

By coincidence, the site of the fire is virtually adjacent to land at the centre of criminal charges against Khunying Potjaman, wife of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who returned to Thailand to hear the charges less than a day before the fire.

Fires in abandoned businesses in Bangkok often are believed to be arson, committed for insurance reasons. Forensic detectives likely will closely investigate this fire for any signs of arson.

I am surprised :D no one talks about Thaksin here - this is unlike TV, which is full of Thaksin bashing with or without any chance!

:o

his wife came to Thailand yesterday, and early morning today that building burs, huh?

Perhaps the fire just burnt itself out and the fire department is taking credit for it.

im pretty sure it happen this way.

They didn't have to do much, plastic tarps burned themselves out after a while and the sprinklers apparently worked. Some opportunists will say they saved the building.

Did you see any water hoses with enough pressure to reach the upper floors? :o

Amazingly it did not collapse.......... :o

Ha, ha...Nice one. Yes for anyone who doesn't get this, the three towers at World Trade Center in NYC (did you know THREE collapsed?) were the first time in history that had happened following a serious fire. And the THIRD wasn't even hit by an airplne, nor was it damaged by falling debris - hmm...but I'm sure it was them A-RABS..

Edited by thaigene2

When I was watching the fire a couple of Americans were talking about it collapsing but never the one to miss a sly dig at 4 am in the morning I told them that only happened on 9/11. :o

One of the Americans then went on to tell me how lucky it was that the building wasn't made of wood coz then it would definitely have caught fire. I pointed out this was why buildings were made of concrete and steel and he told me 'In America I think buildings of a certain height are not allowed to be made of concrete, only wood'. I was too tired to rip the piss out of him. :D

A very interesting thing I learned today, but apparently the building in question is owned by non other than Pojaman Shinawatra and the fire was nothing more than a good old fashion Thai style message to her.

I need someone to verify this but I do trust my source.