Border Means Testing At Mae Sai

"That's not very much money for you, it's only 10 pieces of paper" was his thoughtful response.

...and with the picture of the king on it. This comment from one of His Majesty's government employees! :o

And yes, we foreigners are all that rich, because when we exchange our money here in Thailand we get 40, 50 or 60 times as much. (So it's okay to fleece the farangs time and again...) :D

(My guess is, that about 90% of all Thais think like that.)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and in the case of family arrivals, "...on less than 20,000 baht."

Yet, somehow, I feel like trying to point out that you were just following their rules when you came in with three 20 baht notes is not going to get you anywhere fast.

Yes, and in the case of family arrivals, "...on less than 20,000 baht."

Yet, somehow, I feel like trying to point out that you were just following their rules when you came in with three 20 baht notes is not going to get you anywhere fast.

even quicker than that. If faceloss is suffered, you'll find their sense of humor will disappear.

A cashiers check (draft) from a Thai bank is normally considered as cash, and is safer. The Immigration could hardly refuse a draft if it is issued in your name. Just my two Baht.

I am of that self same opinion George. For a better laugh, buy one from a Government Bank. Said bank would be somewhat pissed if Immigration even hinted that their paper was no good.

A cashiers check (draft) from a Thai bank is normally considered as cash, and is safer. The Immigration could hardly refuse a draft if it is issued in your name. Just my two Baht.

The Oz embassy obviously does not agree and will only accept such payment from Banks located in and around Bangkok (according to there web site) so do not believe immigration in an upcountry post would be keen on them myself. :o

"okay fair enough you want to harrass the 30 day "tourists" but what about the people here on one year non-immigrant B or O visas? 20,000 is a heck of a lot of money to carry around on your person, especially there. are they enforcing this on people who obviously live here all year legally?"

Hi Monkeygirl,

Well, that will be interesting as we who have one year visa extensions have to prove our means every year when we re-apply. We also must buy a re-entry permit at Immigration for 1,900 baht before departing in order to keep our visa in effect when we return. My guess is that the re-entry permit will negate the need to carry the 10-20K as proof of means.

After checking out of LOS, cross the bridge and proceed to Tachilek immigration on the right hand side of the road. Hand over your passport and 250 baht visa fee to the (terribly nice) fellow in immigration, then turn to face the door. Look straight ahead - you'll notice that there's a small walkway leading down to a reasonable sized building with a blue roof, directly inline with the zebra crossing. Walk down there, sit at one of the two tables, buy yourself a can of cold beer, do some duty free shopping (looks about 50/50 legit goods), then walk back the Thailand and check-in. Note: if you walk past a health tent and/or get asked what country you are from you've gone too far.

PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE OF 'blissfully ignorant'

He FORGET to tells you to to go back to the terribly nice guy and get your passport back!!!!! :D:D:o:D:D

I am of that self same opinion George. For a better laugh, buy one from a Government Bank. Said bank would be somewhat pissed if Immigration even hinted that their paper was no good

Hey Doc, I have an idea. Just have everyone become a Michelonian citizen and we will issue them a Bank Draft issued by our Department of Treasury and Central Bank signed by the Secretary of the Treasury of Michelonia.

No funds involved, just a $10USD fee which incidentally also gets the new citizen a free email account.

I am of that self same opinion George. For a better laugh, buy one from a Government Bank. Said bank would be somewhat pissed if Immigration even hinted that their paper was no good

Hey Doc, I have an idea. Just have everyone become a Michelonian citizen and we will issue them a Bank Draft issued by our Department of Treasury and Central Bank signed by the Secretary of the Treasury of Michelonia.

No funds involved, just a $10USD fee which incidentally also gets the new citizen a free email account.

Get a beautifully engraved certificate and charge $20 Mouse. :o You never know.

QUOTE (unbiasbob @ Tue 2004-09-14, 04:49:20)

I think the obvious solution to this problem is to use another border crossing 

...which would seem to be exactly what the Mae Sai immigrations authorities are aiming for

If the rules say you have to show 10K in cash and Mae Sai are applying them then why not simply show 10K in cash??

Not exactly hard.

ok it is a risk to have in your pocket but less of a risk than 3-5K in your pocket in Patpong!!

If you live in C.Mai how much would it be for the trip to another crossing?

Pay the money and make the choice.

It may be that Mae Sai are seeing a lot of long time 30 day visa people and are trying to put them off.

Off course all you people do realise that when you arrive at Bangkok Immigration is within their rights to ask to see funds and an onward ticket?

If you go to Mae Sai by motorcycle do not forget the helmet :o

I can't see what the problem is. The notice says "cash or a cash document exchange" I would take that to be Thai-ise for proof of resources, whether cash bank statement or what else.

Glad i am not alone :o

What if you are refused entry?

Where do you go?

Remember you have only a day pass for Burma :D

Who will be the first to find out?

Is there an internet shop in Tachilek so they can post?

Never been to Mae Sai, but is there an ATM-machine?

If so this would obviously solve the problem, draw the cash, show it and deposit it again.

I don't know about that one Axel, that would be a huge target. there would need to be an armed guard there at all times I would think

If the rules say you have to show 10K in cash and Mae Sai are applying them then why not simply show 10K in cash??

Not exactly hard.

ok it is a risk to have in your pocket but less of a risk than 3-5K in your pocket in Patpong!!

I think most peoples point is that everyone will know that Every Farang has at least 10,000 Baht on them, so will attract more undesirables to Mae Sai with the intent to rob.

QUOTE (unbiasbob @ Tue 2004-09-14, 04:49:20)

I think the obvious solution to this problem is to use another border crossing...................

.......If you live in C.Mai how much would it be for the trip to another crossing?

Pay the money and make the choice......

If you go to Mae Sai by motorcycle do not forget the helmet :o

Hey girl, if I do ride the bike from Chiang Mai, you'd better believe I'll wear a helmet. But then, where would I park the bike safely?

You're right - where's the next closest border crossing? Mae Sot?

This friend of mine who only needs a 90-day stamp in his passport, since he has a one year multiple entry, can go to the border on the 28th September. Are these new rules taking effect 1 October, or have they already taken effect?

I go along with that thinking. I don't carry around excess cash either. no need

If the Immigration Guys say you can not get the Visa without showing 10K then you can not class it as "excess cash".

It would be necessary cash.

At the end of the day the rules are there whatever you think??

Everyone agrees it sounds crazy and hopes they go away soon but until then suggest you go with a friend if you are concerned?

I've just come back from the Ranong crossing. Didn't see any signs up anywhere similar to those at Mae Sai. When getting my entry stamp I asked the official how many times could I make monthly crossings. "Up to you" he replied.

btw, the border day pass booth for Thais is no longer at the Thai Immigration office, It's now at the pier.

When getting my Burmese entry stamp I was called in to the office. Apparently my crispy 5 dollar bill (which I exchanged 210 baht for) was no good. The official said something about 'the serial number is no good'. He then wanted 300 baht.

No problem. Gave him the 300 baht and I will get another 5 dollar bill for my next Mae Sot run.

Also, when getting my Thai exit stamp the official stapled in a small blank piece of paper. When at the Thai's immigration post, the paper was stamped with another Thai exit stamp. On the return leg at the same post, the slip of paper had been removed.

If the Immigration Guys say you can not get the Visa without showing 10K then you can not class it as "excess cash".

It would be necessary cash.

At the end of the day the rules are there whatever you think??

Everyone agrees it sounds crazy and hopes they go away soon but until then suggest you go with a friend if you are concerned?

I don't use land borders myself, or at least never have

Yes, cutethaigirl I think we all agree it sounds crazy. I also agree, if the rule is such, no need to fight.

I said I have never been to Mae Sai. If I would have to cross there, I would take the amount from an ATM (I asked if there is one), cross the border, return to Thailand, show the cash and deposit it back to the bank.

Baht 10000 is just Euro 200, but still, why carry such amount with you. Once customs procedures finished it becomes excessive.

Yes, cutethaigirl I think we all agree it sounds crazy. I also agree, if the rule is such, no need to fight.

I said I have never been to Mae Sai. If I would have to cross there, I would take the amount from an ATM (I asked if there is one), cross the border, return to Thailand, show the cash and deposit it back to the bank.

Baht 10000 is just Euro 200, but still, why carry such amount with you. Once customs procedures finished it becomes excessive

My thoughts but too shy to write so strong.

You have said it exactly right.

Stop complaining and just do as the rules say hey :o