Avocado Graft

soidog2

• 4 months later...
Pak Chong in Nakhon Ratchasima and Tak in Mae Sot are two places I know of that sell grafted avocado trees.

Will try Pak Chong, thanks !

Soidog2...Did you get the avocado trees?...If not. let me know..I have the address, phone number, etc for the only nursery that I have found in Pak Chong that normally has them...I have bought over 50 trees from them in the past 2 years...

Stoneman

Where exactly in Tak can I get the avocado plants?

Hi Vatman, Mae Sot has an agriculture research station where they started growing avo trees and distributed trees to locals there, the man at the station told us to go on the main highway and we bought our trees (many years ago, but presumably they are still there) from growers just off the main Tak/Mae Sot highway outside of Mae Sot.

Doi Muser Crops Research Station is situated on Thanon Thongchai Mountain, 900 metres above the sea level. The Tak-Mae Sod route is the area for cold climate crops such as tea, coffee, fruits and flowers, The average temperature is 4 degree celcius in winter and 25 degree celcius in summer. During November-December, Bua Tong flowers (a kind of wild sunflowers) around the Station blossom, waiting to welcome visitors.
Source: tak.go.th

Where exactly in Tak can I get the avocado plants?

Hi Vatman, Mae Sot has an agriculture research station where they started growing avo trees and distributed trees to locals there, the man at the station told us to go on the main highway and we bought our trees (many years ago, but presumably they are still there) from growers just off the main Tak/Mae Sot highway outside of Mae Sot.

Doi Muser Crops Research Station is situated on Thanon Thongchai Mountain, 900 metres above the sea level. The Tak-Mae Sod route is the area for cold climate crops such as tea, coffee, fruits and flowers, The average temperature is 4 degree celcius in winter and 25 degree celcius in summer. During November-December, Bua Tong flowers (a kind of wild sunflowers) around the Station blossom, waiting to welcome visitors.
Source: tak.go.th

The research center is about 25km from highway 1 when travelling west on highway 105 to Mae Sot. It's on the south side of the highway about 1km east of the Doi Muser market on the highway. Haven't stopped in there this year but they were still selling avocado trees last year.

Was up that way last week for my visa extension and stopped at the market to buy some potatos and avocados but still about a month too early.

rgds

Pak Chong in Nakhon Ratchasima and Tak in Mae Sot are two places I know of that sell grafted avocado trees.

Will try Pak Chong, thanks !

Soidog2...Did you get the avocado trees?...If not. let me know..I have the address, phone number, etc for the only nursery that I have found in Pak Chong that normally has them...I have bought over 50 trees from them in the past 2 years...

Stoneman

I've PMed you for the details. 50 trees is a lot, how long before you can expect fruit?

The trees are starting their 3rd year and we have a small crop setting on this year...Do not expect much until next year..As to the question of varieties, I would suggest that you look at http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6902e/x6902e0b.htm This website was done by the university agricultural dept and really tells you everything you need to know about avocados in Thailand..

• 3 weeks later...
In the end Pak Chong in Nakhon Ratchasima was a waste of time, no grafted trees to be found,. Only seedlings.

Waiting for Tak news.

Same story at Doi Muser. Seedlings only- 20Bt each. As many as you want. Grafted trees available later in the year. The agricultural station is very welcoming & they have many other plants. Plenty of coffee plants. Mae Sot border still easy, quick, no photos, just 500Bt.

• 1 year later...
The research center is about 25km from highway 1 when travelling west on highway 105 to Mae Sot. It's on the south side of the highway about 1km east of the Doi Muser market on the highway. Haven't stopped in there this year but they were still selling avocado trees last year.

Was up that way last week for my visa extension and stopped at the market to buy some potatos and avocados but still about a month too early.

rgds

i'm in CM now and i'm going to stop in Tak/Doi Muser on my way home and look around. thanks for the detailed location.

i stopped on the main road in Pak Chong on the way up and only found one avo seedling, not a graft. i guess its not the season at the moment. i did find lots of other great plants however including leelawadee in amazing yellows and purples.

• 4 weeks later...