Best Recent Books

mssabai

Okay, I am putting this in the ladies thread because I do feel that in general I get my best book reccs from fellow girls. The recent chick flicks thread got me thinking...I like movies, but I love books. What are some of your gals fave books you have read recently - either new or old? I am having a bit of a drought at the mo, but loved Shantaram (Gregory David Roberts). Also really enjoyed Babycakes (Armistead Maupin) which I had never read before. Read some great books last year - Cloud Atlas, Star of the Sea, lots of Jane Austen - but not having such good luck this year.

Preferably books that are available at smaller Asia Books stores!

For sheer mindless fun you can't go wrong with Janet Evanovich's series - the first 3 or so are the funniest. "One for the money", "two for the dough"... Mindless, beach reading but laugh out loud funny in places.

I've always loved Jane Austen and read and re-read her books on a regular basis but some books I have enjoyed lately:

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold --sad but good

Evolution by Stephen Baxter -- a very interesting read --a fictionalized account of various primates lives through the various stages of evolution.

Sharyn McCrumb--I've liked several of her books--quirky but funny

Terry McMillian--Mama--a very interesting insight into Black American culture and lives for a white middle class girl like myself.

I haven't read anything good recently... but here is my list of faves from MySpace...

atlas shrugged by ayn rand,

midnight's children by salman rushdie,

*a prayer for owen meany by john irving,

grapes of wrath,

music for torching by a.m. holmes,

naked by david sedaris,

the dice man,

sex lives of cannibals,

the wind-up bird chronicles by haruki murakami,

brief history of nearly everything by bill bryson,

*she's come undone by wally lamb,

kate atkinson's books

*best

Edited by girlx

Thanks girlx how could I forget Haruki Marukami - Norweigan Wood was great as was Kafka on the Shore. My other favourite writer is Gabriel Garcia Marquez - I find them pretty similar actually. Cannot agree with you on Music for Torching though - probably the most depressing book I have ever read. Well written though.

For beach reading trash - Jilly Cooper and Jackie Collins are absolute favourites along with Martina Cole (hysterical for anyone who has ever lived in London). Sometimes feel I should slip them inside a James Joyce dust cover though!

Seonai has just reminded me how much I enjoyed 1984 too so I am going to pop off and get "Down and out in Paris and London" now.

I was fed up this morning as I have probs with my ex Thai hubby so I went to a second hand bookshop and bought three books as a treat. One I think you would all like is The Virago Book of Fairy Tales, Edited by Angela Carter. The blurb says... 'Once upon a time fairy tales weren't meant just for children. This stunning collection met with huge acclaim and success.'

I have read one so far and it was really good, they come from all over the world and while I am naturally attracted to SE Asia the others are great too.

On the whole Virago, while possibly a Gay orientated womens publisher, do produce some amazing stuff for women...

I just finished reading Anne Tyler's "Back when we were grownups" about a widowed woman who has a mid-life crisis, looking back on her life and what it might have been. But there is one quote in there that nearly made me cry:

"People imagine that missing a loved one works kind of like missing cigarettes. The first day is really hard but the next day is less hard and so forth, easier and easier the longer you go on. But instead it's like missing water. Every day, you notice the person's absence more. "

books!!!! can't remember the last time I managed ot read a book, hang on yes I do was the day before 11th May 2007. and I had a baby on 11th May 2007 & no longer have the time or energy to read since. Hope I get the desire/and or time back some day as I used ot love to read.

Last good thing I read was Lovely bones which I think sbk mentioned earlier. Also like Terry Pratchett for pure escapist sillyness.

Even though their kids books - the Northern Lights trilogy are absoluetly amazing - read them before you watch the movies. The first of which has just come out

Related to South East Asia - I read Amy Tan's 'Saving Fish from Drowning' and loved it - thought it was a really well researched introduction to Burma. Very sad and funny and kind of magical too. Reminded me a lot of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabelle Allende. As a trash read I just read John Burdett 'Bangkok Tattoo" which really surprised me because I thought it was actually a really entertaining book...hope he writes more in the series because the corrupt detective is such a great character. On a non-fiction trip, Sex Slaves is a great book - really insightful although the author finds it impossible to disguise her disgust for the men of South East Asia at times - but this is not surprising given what she witnesses in the course of her research.

I would love to have reccomendations for any Thai authors translated into english. I have only read one book - a very interesting collection of short stories - but would love to read more

best book I've read recently is Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. she travels to Italy, India and Bali after getting divorced. if you love pasta as much as me you'll be drooling over the Italy section!

i agree with janet evanovich for lighter reading - only author who makes me laugh out loud

Reading books? yes that's becoming part of many people daily past time or habit. Ever heard of audio book? Since I got my 1st audio book for my birthday gift last year, it has changed my whole perception about book and a new meaning towards "reading". I fell in love with audio books as it given me lot of conveniences and easier to "read". I do on train, buses, driving.... so easy that i just plug in my mp3 and there's it go. Yah yah... i know at times it can be dangerous especially when i'm driving and i got to admit this whole new evolution has make me becoming lazier. But who care, i just love it, mind to join this laziness club? :o

Belle and Seonai,

In England we have a great BBC radio station called Radio 4. Almost all the programmes are brilliant (especially woman's Hour and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue) but it also has a daily radio play, as well as the compulsively addictive radio soap "The Archers" (altogether now - duu da duh da duh da duh...). If you don't know of it already check out the website www.bbc.co.uk/radio4. You can listen on demand to anything that has already been broadcast. The plays are about 45 minutes long and are really good, sometimes with famous actors in. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Belle Hi, how do I download audio books to my MP3 please?

Not too sure what audio format your audio book is in but there are lots of audio conversion software available in the market. After conversion you can then download to your player. Some even allow you to record into MP3 format so that you can play while on the go.

I would love to have reccomendations for any Thai authors translated into english. I have only read one book - a very interesting collection of short stories - but would love to read more

"The Judgement" by Chart Korbjitti is very good, as are his other books:

http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?pr...abd4bdfef8ccdd3

Pira Sudhams "People of Esarn" is a pretty good collection of non fiction stories. His "Monsoon Season" is soso and his "Force Of Karma" is not good.

Also, theres "A Child Of The Northeast" and Letters From Thailand". Both very good IMO.

"The Judgement" by Chart Korbjitti is very good, as are his other books:

http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?pr...abd4bdfef8ccdd3

Pira Sudhams "People of Esarn" is a pretty good collection of non fiction stories. His "Monsoon Season" is soso and his "Force Of Karma" is not good.

Also, theres "A Child Of The Northeast" and Letters From Thailand". Both very good IMO.

Cheers :o

I haven't read any great books of fiction or non-fiction lately, because my work schedule predominated and I was reading mostly technical how-to books to refresh my knowledge of computer programs. My sister did give me a book on tape about a family memoir which I liked a lot called "Three Weeks with My Brother" by Nicolas Sparks.

Other than that, my top favorites that I always revisit are:

Louise Erdrich: The Beet Queen, Love Medicine, and Tracks. (Tops. I always have a copy of *Love Medicine with me when I travel).

William Burroughs, Henry Miller, Anais Nin (everything).

Early Toni Morrison

V.S. Naipaul - fiction, and his non-fiction travel accounts on religion through South Asia.

*The book Love Medicine sort of reminds me of where I came from: an urban version of her characters. So, it helps to ground me wherever I am.

Edited by kat

As a trash read I just read John Burdett 'Bangkok Tattoo" which really surprised me because I thought it was actually a really entertaining book...hope he writes more in the series because the corrupt detective is such a great character.

He has written two more interesting books, which provide a useful insight into the working of certain people in positions of authority in Thailand. The names of the books are: Bangkok 8 and Bangkok Haunts. But, boy, does he ever come up with some weird ideas!

• 1 month later...

Just back from vacation in N. America which included some heavy duty weather, so I had a chance to catch up on reading...really enjoyed both of these:

Fiction: Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

Nonfiction: Age of Turbulence by Alan Greenspan

I like mostly everything written by Junichiro Tanizaki, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and most things by the Bronte Sisters are worthwhile. I love Wuthering Heights, and for Junichiro Tanizaki I recommend Naomi.

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle drove me fuc_king CRAZY. I liked it, I read all of it, but I could not figure out the theme, or general purpose, or anything. After I finished reading it I actually had a dream where I was arguing with these twin girls over the author's meaning (yes the dream was surreal...not unlike the novel).

I'm currently trying to read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged because Pamplin gave all the business majors a free copy, plus I'd say most of my friends are objectivists.

Sorry, I'm no lady but I recently enjoyed the following books;

'Teacher Man' by Frank McCourt ( the guy who wrote Angelas Ashes)

"The bedroom secrets of the master chefs' by Irvine Welsh

'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith not a newie but a great uplifting read.

'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu

Always refer to it when I want to kick a**e as the strategies apply to many modern business principles in this day and age and was made a compulsary study strand in Japan and China for MBA students.

Translated from the Chinese http://www.chinapage.com/sunzi-e.html

By LIONEL GILES, M.A. (1910)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This is the basic text of Sun Tzu on the Art of War. It was extracted from Mr. Giles' complete work as titled above. The commentary itself, which, of course includes this work embedded within it, has been released as suntzu10.txt (or suntzu10.zip). This is being released only as an adjunct to that work, which contains a wealth of commentary upon this text.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Art of War has 13 chapters.

Try "The Girls" by Lori Lansens. The story of two conjoined twins growing-up in Canada. My ex-partner leant it to me when she and our daughter came over for Songkhran last year. I must send it back! It's a great book; I really enjoyed it. :o

• 3 weeks later...