Australian Aged Pension

On 6/17/2023 at 3:52 AM, Tom A Hawk said:

I've been following this resident tax subject on this forum but there's plenty about it on youtube as well. 

I think this guy puts to rest some of the debate on this thread, that is, the fact that pensions are an income and taxable, and that pensioners should already be paying non resident tax.

All that is left to discuss is what is the government going to do, and when, to be able to start collecting.  In my opinion, the proposed changes were designed to make it easier for the government to do so.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Haha 2

On 6/22/2023 at 2:19 PM, KhunHeineken said:

I think this guy puts to rest some of the debate on this thread, that is, the fact that pensions are an income and taxable, and that pensioners should already be paying non resident tax.

All that is left to discuss is what is the government going to do, and when, to be able to start collecting.  In my opinion, the proposed changes were designed to make it easier for the government to do so.

Thanks for posting.

Actually , he does not. He says the question of tax residency is dependent on individual circumstances, as determined by the Commissioner of Taxation.

Pensioners should not be paying non-resident tax if they are still classed as resident in Australia. Permit me to doubt the ATO is interested in chasing pensioners who have used the non-lodgment advice available on the ATO website, as they are below the taxable threshold. I know one guy on an OAP who has been residing in Thailand for ten years full time, and put in a non-lodgment advice nine years ago. He's heard nothing from the ATO since.

The non-residency rules were intended to tax affluent people living overseas full-time, who are deriving their income in Australia.

Much as you wish it to happen, for reasons best known to yourself, it hasn't. Probably because the return with pensioners is not worth it.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 1:56 PM, Tom A Hawk said:

This guy complains about snail mail and the cost but has anyone else got this email with the questions?  How often do you get it?  For how long can you keep answering your departure is only temporary when you haven't been back for a long time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8kIY9ADQpg

No one else received this??

24 minutes ago, Tom A Hawk said:

No Have you.? Been here 8yrs,no contact via mygov.Ring them if concerned but i wouldnt. The utube guy is wrong re Thai Post, so hardly credible.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Tom A Hawk said:

What does the majority on here think?  Are we gonna have to pay this tax or not?

Under the current outdated laws, no.  

When the proposed changes come in, yes, or return to Australia for 45 days or possibly more, each financial year. 

26 minutes ago, Tom A Hawk said:

Looking at the video, I suggest that the form does not say that you cannot send the form online but only suggests that it should be posted.

I have received similar when I applied for the pension in Oz after living in Thailand.

I posted it back and they lost the form although their mail office had a record of it being received.

Even though they still cancelled my pension application.

I downloaded a copy of the form onto MyGov and phoned them and all was OK.

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Under the current outdated laws, no.  

When the proposed changes come in, yes, or return to Australia for 45 days or possibly more, each financial year. 

The laws are only outdated in your opinion.

Halley's comet makes the next visit in 2061. Maybe your predictions will come to pass by then.

IMO the BS rules should not even exist, no other Western country taxes its pensioners living overseas.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Tom A Hawk said:

What does the majority on here think?  Are we gonna have to pay this tax or not?

If the changes to resident /non resident rule passes, the ordinary pensioner living O/S will be euchre and hit with the tax, this will be from $1 onwards. 

It is already the "rule" but as pointed out many times it can be and is circumvented  - luckily to the advantage of expats . 

Edited by Artisi

6 minutes ago, Artisi said:

If the changes to resident /non resident rule passes, the ordinary pensioner living O/S will be euchre and hit with the tax, this will be from $1 onwards. 

It is already the "rule" but as pointed out many times it can be and is circumvented  - luckily to the advantage of expats . 

There are still minor senior tax offsets for non-resident pensioners.

Non resident for tax purposes and senior tax offset | ATO Community

5 hours ago, Olmate said:

No Have you.? Been here 8yrs,no contact via mygov.Ring them if concerned but i wouldnt. The utube guy is wrong re Thai Post, so hardly credible.

I haven't lived in Thailand nearly as long as you.  The youtube video is 1 year old which means those MyGov questions are not new.  To be honest, I'm a bit worried to open MyGov because maybe if I do the 28 days starts because I have been served.  I don't care much about the mailing of the paper.  I would sent it by courier. 

You have to tell them a date of return and how long you will be away for.  I have no plans to go back for at least the next 12 or 18 months, maybe longer.  If I say that then I will have to pay that tax for sure.  If I tell a porkie and say 6 months then they might send me another one in 6 months and what do I say then? 

Why did this guy get it and others not?

Edited by Tom A Hawk

4 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Looking at the video, I suggest that the form does not say that you cannot send the form online but only suggests that it should be posted.

I have received similar when I applied for the pension in Oz after living in Thailand.

I posted it back and they lost the form although their mail office had a record of it being received.

Even though they still cancelled my pension application.

I downloaded a copy of the form onto MyGov and phoned them and all was OK.

I'm not worried about getting the paper back to them or the cost.  I can courier it to them direct.  I can courier it to a relative and get them to repackage it but I don't see the point doing this because they already know I am not in Australia. I have a mate coming over soon who can take it back for me and post it.

Just not sure what answers to put and how long those answers will be good for.  

Edited by Tom A Hawk

Just now, Tom A Hawk said:

I'm not worried about getting the paper back to them or the cost.  I can courier it.  I can courier it to a relative and get them to repackage it. I have a mate coming over soon who can take it back for me and post it.

Just not sure what answers to put and how long those answers will be good for.  

My letter was to tell me that I had been overseas for a long period and they wanted me to declare my intention to permanently live in Australia and the reasons why I was now claiming resident status for the aged pension.

I suggest that you should not lie to them as that can carry penalties.

Obviously they know that you left Australia and will know when you return.

At the moment I suggest Centrelink only cares about their rules and regulations and have no interest in your tax liabilities or residency status for Taxation purposes.

They are not like banks etc who need to know of change of address so they can arrange withholding tax.

I don't understand your reasoning for not wanting to download  your response on MyGov and then phone them to notify them so they will access it.

5 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

My letter was to tell me that I had been overseas for a long period and they wanted me to declare my intention to permanently live in Australia and the reasons why I was now claiming resident status for the aged pension.

At the moment I suggest Centrelink only cares about their rules and regulations and have no interest in your tax liabilities or residency status for Taxation purposes.

They are not like banks etc who need to know of change of address so they can arrange withholding tax.

I don't understand your reasoning for not wanting to download  your response on MyGov and then phone them to notify them so they will access it.

I recieved my pension for over 12 years, paid into my Aust account with Centrelink fully aware that I was resident O/S. From memory the only request I received from C/L that was a bit out of the ordinary was a request for copies of prior tax returns over the past few years, this was just see I was /  wasn't being under or overpaid. 

51 minutes ago, Tom A Hawk said:

To scorecard and lacessit when is the last time you looked?

My policy when overseas is to look at nothing, say nothing. Any linked service on MyGov has to email me, with no guarantee I will acknowledge it.

If I open myGov, they will know it.

So far, I have had no demands. I update my assets at Centrelink when I go back to Australia at a Centrelink office, not online.

People seem to forget it was not so long ago Australians were locked out of their own country, then had to pay for 14 days quarantine when allowed to return, until July 2022.

As long as my age pension keeps rolling into my Australian account, I don't see any reason to volunteer any information.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Artisi said:

I think I'm gonna be skinned for 30% one day down the track. 

15 hours ago, LosLobo said:

My reasoning for not wanting to log in is because once I log in, there may be that message from them sitting there and it will start the 28 days clock on it, just like the guy in the video.  It's like they have served it on me electronically. 

You suggest I don't lie, but aren't people saying they have the intention to return to Australia but they actually don't?  Just look at the guy in the video again.  He said on the video, "Have you permanently shifted overseas? The answer is no" and then at the end of the video he shows his big new house.  I know having a house in Thailand doesn't mean someone has moved there permanently but it looks like he has.

Did you tell them you were going to live in Australia but were really gonna live in Thailand?

Say I answer "no" as well but a year later I still haven't gone back.  How long before the next declaration is sent to me and how can I keep saying "no" before they call BS on my answers because they know I haven't been back?  I will go back for a few weeks to see my kids but I am living in Thailand now. 

What is the point of these questions if everyone can keep saying they haven't permanently left Australia when they actually have and they know you haven't returned for a long time? 

Edited by Tom A Hawk

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My policy when overseas is to look at nothing, say nothing. Any linked service on MyGov has to email me, with no guarantee I will acknowledge it.

If I open myGov, they will know it.

So far, I have had no demands. I update my assets at Centrelink when I go back to Australia at a Centrelink office, not online.

People seem to forget it was not so long ago Australians were locked out of their own country, then had to pay for 14 days quarantine when allowed to return, until July 2022.

As long as my age pension keeps rolling into my Australian account, I don't see any reason to volunteer any information.

Yep, that's the way I have been playing it.  I don't want to be served the questions because I have logged in. 

They know I am not in Australia so how long can I get away with being like the three wise monkeys? 

How long before your physical absence from Australia overrides the porkie that you have the intention of returning?

Strange that some have received that MyGov letter and some haven't.  It could be in there waiting for me but I don't want to find out if it is.