Australian Aged Pension

Happy NY all. I return to a question is raised a while ago. Currently working in LOS for 6 years. I am 62 and have resigned myself to going back to OZ before I am 63 so I can satisfy the residence requirement to make my oap portable at 65. Could not convince anyone at c/l that "i am still OZ resident as i am forced to live here due to my work" argument. So currently turning my life upside down to qualify..... I guess that is what the OZ government want. Have any of more learned forum members heard of anyone in my position who obtained portability straight away when applying for oap at 65? I ask because c/l have too many different answers and I seek an exception to help me. Cheers!

If you were born in OZ you are an Australian citizen by birth. Going on you stated age; you must have done at least 45yrs of work in OZ and paid Taxes for whatever how many companies you worked for.[/size]

At attaining the age of 65 you are therefore entitled to the Old Age Pension (OAP) and any other benefits that come with it such as phone allowance and travel

allowance etc. However if after retiring you move back to Thailand to live on a permanent or semi-permanent basis you will lose your benefits but not you full pension. If Thailand and Australia have an agreement, your pension can be paid into your bank in Thailand.[/size]

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Centrelink regulations state that you must have been a RESIDANT for a certain period of time ,work or taxes are not mentioned.

For those OAP recipients who came here permanently prior to 2004 and classed as Overseas Recipients ,pension is paid monthly into a Thai bank A/c if you require and is paid in Thai Baht at no cost to the recipient.

Rate is calculated at the ruling daily rate at the time of transfer and all charges are born by Centrelink.

I have been in Australia since before Christmas waiting until I turn 65 in September.I have been on DSP since I was 49.

Over the years I have had to ring them several things,I was told the answer,a couple of times I wasnt happy and asked to speak to the supervisor,and everytime she gave me a different answer and fixed up my problems.I rang then about a month ago and told them in September I will be 65 and what will happen.The girl told near my birthday I will get paper work sent out to me to fill in.I have to be in Australia before my 65th birthday and I could be called in to Centrelink for me interview.3 days later I rang again,asked to talk the supervisor,and said I didnt unterstand what the girl told me.She told me the exact same thing.I want to live in Thailand for 6 months then a month in Australia.I do not want to live in Thailand full time.I want to be fair to Lady Pla its gives her a month not having to live with a pompoui old farang,she can go and live it her husband,

Best Wishes,

Mick

If you are penalised.....the rate of pension you receive is linked to the cost of living in the country where you are staying. In Thailand that means you will get stuff all.

That is absolute bull-sh1t.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If you are penalised.....the rate of pension you receive is linked to the cost of living in the country where you are staying. In Thailand that means you will get stuff all.

That is absolute bull-sh1t.

Sadly since this date much of the thread is too. It is supposed to be about Age Pension but it is full of incorrect posts about Disability allowance.//a totally different kettle of worms.

There is really only one thing to do about Age Pension if you need the answer. Contact Centrelink International in Hobart direct.

I've never seen so much nonsense in one series of answers for a long time, the majority of "advise" given is way wrong.

for correct information contact centrelink Hobart Tasmania who are responsible for international pension payments.

Basically if you are 65, in Aust. on the day you apply, have 25 years of employment, have been in Aust. for the 2 previous years you are entitled to pension which is payable o/seas. You don't get the fringe benefits, med. card, etc. Payment can be made into either Aus. or o/seas bank account at no penalty.

I have always found Hobart office to be more than helpful who you can phone reverse charge or ask them to call you.

I've never seen so much nonsense in one series of answers for a long time, the majority of "advise" given is way wrong.

for correct information contact centrelink Hobart Tasmania who are responsible for international pension payments.

Basically if you are 65, in Aust. on the day you apply, have 25 years of employment, have been in Aust. for the 2 previous years you are entitled to pension which is payable o/seas. You don't get the fringe benefits, med. card, etc. Payment can be made into either Aus. or o/seas bank account at no penalty.

I have always found Hobart office to be more than helpful who you can phone reverse charge or ask them to call you.

Sorry, but your post is inaccurate; from the Human Services website:

'Australian working life residence' is the period of residence in Australia between the age of 16 and age pension age. You do not need to have worked or paid tax during this period. You just need to have been an Australian resident. For example, a person can get a full means tested pension if they have an Australian working life residence of 25 years. People who have been a resident for less than 25 years will receive a smaller amount, based on how many years they have been a resident.

Also your comment of having to live in Australia for two years prior for Aged Pension to be paid overseas is incorrect. The two year waiting period only applies if you are a returning resident and comply to residency criteria, when applying for Aged Pension. If it is granted; then you must wait for two years before being permitted payment of Aged Pension when relocating overseas.

'Australian working life residence' is the period of residence in Australia between the age of 16 and age pension age. You do not need to have worked or paid tax during this period. You just need to have been an Australian resident. For example, a person can get a full means tested pension if they have an Australian working life residence of 25 years. People who have been a resident for less than 25 years will receive a smaller amount, based on how many years they have been a resident.

Also your comment of having to live in Australia for two years prior for Aged Pension to be paid overseas is incorrect. The two year waiting period only applies if you are a returning resident and comply to residency criteria, when applying for Aged Pension. If it is granted; then you must wait for two years before being permitted payment of Aged Pension when relocating overseas.

Two more examples of how slight errors can have a big influence.

Both posters are mostly correct but also slightly wrong.

Only way is to deal direct.

Two more examples of how slight errors can have a big influence.

Both posters are mostly correct but also slightly wrong.

Only way is to deal direct.

That is why I said basically not wanting to split hairs and to contact Hobart.

Agree final determination would need to be confirmed by Human Services. However an email I received from Centrelink International based in Hobart in response to a query about eligibility of returning resident and then being paid upon returning overseas stated "If a customer who has only recently returned to live in Australia, is granted or transferred to Age Pension based on being a former resident then leaves Australia within two years of the recent return, payment will cancel on departure".

Edited by simple1

Agree final determination would need to be confirmed by Human Services. However an email I received from Centrelink International based in Hobart in response to a query about eligibility of returning resident and then being paid upon returing overseas stated "If a customer who has only recently returned to live in Australia, is granted or transferred to Age Pension based on being a former resident then leaves Australia within two years of the recent return, payment will cancel on departure".

You need to understand what former resident means, it means that you weren't / aren't considered a resident (but a former resident) of Australia at the time you applied for the pension. Ie, you were away from Australia for too long at the time leading upto the application - usually anything more than 2 years or for long extended periods in the years previous to application. But is all open to interpretation and negotiation.

If you care to look way back in this forum, you will see the detail I put up regarding the my own "discussions" with centrelink who at the time considered me be to be a former resident - I argued the point over a few months and was able to have this reversed meaning I could leave Aust. at anytime and not have my OAP cancelled or suspended.

PS, just checked back, my post re above is #51 and a second one #58

Edited by Artisi

Agree final determination would need to be confirmed by Human Services. However an email I received from Centrelink International based in Hobart in response to a query about eligibility of returning resident and then being paid upon returing overseas stated "If a customer who has only recently returned to live in Australia, is granted or transferred to Age Pension based on being a former resident then leaves Australia within two years of the recent return, payment will cancel on departure".

You need to understand what former resident means, it means that you weren't / aren't considered a resident (but a former resident) of Australia at the time you applied for the pension. Ie, you were away from Australia for too long at the time leading upto the application - usually anything more than 2 years or for long extended periods in the years previous to application. But is all open to interpretation and negotiation.

If you care to look way back in this forum, you will see the detail I put up regarding the my own "discussions" with centrelink who at the time considered me be to be a former resident - I argued the point over a few months and was able to have this reversed meaning I could leave Aust. at anytime and not have my OAP cancelled or suspended.

PS, just checked back, my post re above is #51 and a second one #58

sent you a PM

• 3 months later...

I just scrolled to the end of the last page off this topic and it seems that no one has posted any information post the new rules that came out in September this year.

Have any Aussie aged pensioners been affected by new rules about how long they can stay outside of Aus?

My wife's parents decided not to move over here because they heard they need to live in Aus and be there every 6 weeks, but I think that's <deleted>.

What's the bottom line?

• Like 1

I just scrolled to the end of the last page off this topic and it seems that no one has posted any information post the new rules that came out in September this year.

Have any Aussie aged pensioners been affected by new rules about how long they can stay outside of Aus?

My wife's parents decided not to move over here because they heard they need to live in Aus and be there every 6 weeks, but I think that's <deleted>.

What's the bottom line?

I'm a Vietnam War Veteran. By and large the War Veterans Pension 'rules' have always mirrored the old age pension 'rules'.

Over the years I have contacted the various agencies several times in regard to claiming a War Veterans Pension but always get the same answer, basically, 'your not living in Australia, therefore you cannot get the pension'.

Any new / changed information anybody can share (old age or war vets pensions) would be greatly appreciated by many.

I believe that if your already on the OAP (or WVP I would guess) and go overseas, you can still keep getting it. As someone else posted, their are many Aussies that have lived in Thailand for many years on their pensions. However I was specifically asking if anything much has changed since September this year.

My sister-in-law works for Centrelink in Aus, and found this link for me. It makes me think that there is no issue with getting the pension while living OS.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia#AgePensionPensionSupplement

and

https://www.fahcsia.gov.au/our-responsibilities/seniors/benefits-payments/pensioners-overseas-0

Nothing stated in those pages indicates that living OS disqualifies you from OAP requirements.

I believe that if your already on the OAP (or WVP I would guess) and go overseas, you can still keep getting it. As someone else posted, their are many Aussies that have lived in Thailand for many years on their pensions. However I was specifically asking if anything much has changed since September this year.

My sister-in-law works for Centrelink in Aus, and found this link for me. It makes me think that there is no issue with getting the pension while living OS.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia#AgePensionPensionSupplement

and

https://www.fahcsia.gov.au/our-responsibilities/seniors/benefits-payments/pensioners-overseas-0

Nothing stated in those pages indicates that living OS disqualifies you from OAP requirements.

You can also go straight to this site,http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/dhs/centrelink and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click onto what ever you want to find out.

You will find most of the answers to your questions on this site.

and

Has any TV member applied for the OAP or WVP whilst living in Thailand? Successful?

Not sure of course but I'm guessing this might be a whole different ball game. Any feedback on this specific point much appreciated.

and

Has any TV member applied for the OAP or WVP whilst living in Thailand? Successful?

Not sure of course but I'm guessing this might be a whole different ball game. Any feedback on this specific point much appreciated.

You cannot apply for the Aged Pension whilst in Thailand, you must be resident in Australia at time of application - what's WVP?

and

You cannot apply for the Aged Pension whilst in Thailand, you must be resident in Australia at time of application - what's WVP?

WVP = War Veterans Pension.

Thanks for your comment re " ...must be resident in Australia at time of application... ".

Next point, do you know, please, what resident means in terms of time. i.e. can I return say for a week and lodge the application, or do I need to prove that I have actually been living in Australia for say 6 months or two years or something similar?

With OAP you can apply immediately you return but it can only be paid as long as you remain in Australia. If you leave before you have been on it for 2 years it stops. It can be restarted when you come back but you restart the 2 year waiting time before it can be recieved overseas.

and

WVP = War Veterans Pension.

Thanks for your comment re " ...must be resident in Australia at time of application... ".

Next point, do you know, please, what resident means in terms of time. i.e. can I return say for a week and lodge the application, or do I need to prove that I have actually been living in Australia for say 6 months or two years or something similar?

Criteria for claiming Aged Pension and Australian residency requirement is at URL below. Note that from 01/01/2014 to claim the full pension the "working life" period will be increased from 25 to 35 years.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

With OAP you can apply immediately you return but it can only be paid as long as you remain in Australia. If you leave before you have been on it for 2 years it stops. It can be restarted when you come back but you restart the 2 year waiting time before it can be recieved overseas.

Can you provide a link that shows you must restart the 2-year waiting time? I recently left Australia for 10 days in my first year of return as a former resident and had my pension stopped for the ten days. It was restarted as soon as I arrived back (I'd given them the dates before I left). It would seem odd if another two years waiting time was stacked onto the return date. That could mean that one never becomes a resident.

My understanding is that two years residence in Australia dated from the time the Age Pension was granted is all that is required to re-establish full resident status. But I guess if you stay away longer than six weeks that might be another story.

Can you provide a link that shows you must restart the 2-year waiting time? I recently left Australia for 10 days in my first year of return as a former resident and had my pension stopped for the ten days. It was restarted as soon as I arrived back (I'd given them the dates before I left). It would seem odd if another two years waiting time was stacked onto the return date. That could mean that one never becomes a resident.

My understanding is that two years residence in Australia dated from the time the Age Pension was granted is all that is required to re-establish full resident status. But I guess if you stay away longer than six weeks that might be another story.

If you returned to live in Australia and were granted or transferred to Age Pension within the last two years, you will not be able to receive your Age Pension outside the country. After you return, to be paid outside the country, you must have been living in Australia for two years since your last arrival for residence. If you travel to a country that Australia has a social security agreement with, you may be able to continue to get your payment under that social security agreement.

Does not seem fair to me either.

If I qualify for anything ... I'll have to be 67, such is my age now.

By that time, I'm sure the landscape will have changed considerably and

maybe superannuation will be the main income stream come retirement age.

My Super currently stands at about $80,000 .. but I have a fair chunk of my working

life ahead of me.

If you returned to live in Australia and were granted or transferred to Age Pension within the last two years, you will not be able to receive your Age Pension outside the country. After you return, to be paid outside the country, you must have been living in Australia for two years since your last arrival for residence. If you travel to a country that Australia has a social security agreement with, you may be able to continue to get your payment under that social security agreement.

Does not seem fair to me either.

Thanks.

I've sent a message to Centrelink to seek clarification on "last arrival for residence". If it means the date of return from a short trip, such as my 10 day visit to LOS, I might pursue it further.

• 3 weeks later...

The Productivity Commission has recommended Australia's pension age be lifted to 70 to avoid a looming budget crisis.

4279380-3x2-340x227.jpg

Mr Harris says greater health-sector productivity is needed now and calls on the Federal Government to guarantee reverse mortgages to cut aged care costs and improve care quality.

Reverse mortgages allow people to gain access to the equity in their houses to help fund their retirement.

The research report, An Ageing Australia: Preparing for the Future, predicts national income growth will drop from 2.7 to 1.1 per cent per capita over the next 50 years, just as the population aged 75 and over will rise by four million.

This combination suggests, without reform, taxes would have to rise by 21 per cent to fund costs associated with ageing.

ABC

My comment ... by the time I will retire, the pensionable age will be 67 and a far less reliance on the government for security through the pension and more, much more on superannuation.

I'm sort of split on the subject ... I believe that people should be more actively involved and more responsible for their welfare and one major way to achieve that is the 'Reverse Mortgage' ... but also the freedom to retire before 70 to enjoy a life ... while you are able to actually enjoy it.

... just an update on what's happening over here.

I just received the Centrelink newsletter and it gives the current rates for pensioners living overseas, and I quote "Maximum basic rate for Single, A$19,544.20 per year. Maximum Couple rate, A$29,463 per year". Surely this can't be right, that's $400 a week for a single! I don't get a full aged pension because of other income, so mine is reduced to around $700 a month, so I wasn't really aware of what the full pension was.

Edited by giddyup

I just received the Centrelink newsletter and it gives the current rates for pensioners living overseas, and I quote "Maximum basic rate for Single, A$19,544.20 per year. Maximum Couple rate, A$29,463 per year". Surely this can't be right, that's $600 a week for a single! I don't get a full aged pension because of other income, so mine is reduced to around $700 a month, so I wasn't really aware of what the full pension was.

Maths lessonsmile.png

19544.20 /52 = 375.85

As a tip when giving income in months....it is not 2 fortnights to a month. there are 13 pay periods in a year.

Edited by harrry

I just received the Centrelink newsletter and it gives the current rates for pensioners living overseas, and I quote "Maximum basic rate for Single, A$19,544.20 per year. Maximum Couple rate, A$29,463 per year". Surely this can't be right, that's $600 a week for a single! I don't get a full aged pension because of other income, so mine is reduced to around $700 a month, so I wasn't really aware of what the full pension was.

Maths lessonsmile.png

19544.20 /52 = 375.85

As a tip when giving income in months....it is not 2 fortnights to a month. there are 13 pay periods in a year.

I was so good at maths when I was at school, what's happened? I realised after I posted that my calculations were a tad out. Why I equated $20,000 to $600 a week I don't know.

Maths lessonsmile.png

19544.20 /52 = 375.85

I was so good at maths when I was at school, what's happened? I realised after I posted that my calculations were a tad out. Why I equated $20,000 to $600 a week I don't know.

We all do it. Wish it was $600

What you need to understand fully is the difference between resident and former resident.

Resident is someone who has basically remained in Aust. with maybe the occasional trip O/S and even a short stay O/S. Under this condition you can move O/S and take your pension with you, a few modification are made - like health card withdrawn, no fee driver licence, car registration etc .

If you are away for too long (subjective statement) you might well be classified as former resident when a pension is granted.

Former resident is one who has been out of the country for an extended period (usually prior to applying for a pension) again - subjective and depending on the assessor and how well you can argue. if classified as a former resident, should you leave the country your pension will stop and be restarted on return - you need a full 2 years in Aust. to move from former resident to resident.

For clarification on any matter regarding O/S you should contact the International section of Centrelink in Tasmania - not your local Centrelink office as they are not necessarily upto speed on the rules and regs.

added to post.

There are some new rules out effective Jan 2014 regarding pensions / length of residence in Aust. / payments etc. need to be read and understood as it may effect many people.

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1