Australian Aged Pension

ozzydom, Thank you very much for that. I am wondering ,if they changed the rules, like the 2 out of 5 .My pension was approved in November 2005. . It was not until my pension was approved , that I was told , by Hobart, of the new rule. I saw about 7 people in Fitzroy and about 6 in Melton, Victoria. ALL told me to wait until My first payment was paid into my bank, and then I could immediately return to Thailand. The person, at Melton ,who took the call from Hobart, to tell me of approval,was astonished to be told that I would have to spend 2 years in Oz, before portability kicked in. In other words ,there may be many things that C.L. staff do not know.But it was Hobart who informed me of the "Pay into bank " rule. Might I add, I tried to speak to Hobart ,whilst at C.L. Melton, but was refused. All communication came through the C.L. officer I was seated opposite

I have read on another forum that there was a change about 2000 which may have excluded me cos I came here in 1988.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone shed any light regarding this excerpt from the CL Iinternational site:

"Age Pension

You can generally get Age Pension for the total period of absence however, after 13 weeks your rate may change. It may change again if you remain outside Australia for more than 26 weeks. If you are travelling to New Zealand your rate may be affected by the Social Security Agreement between Australia and New Zealand."

I haven't seen any reference on this forum to any such time related changes. I know that the supplement payment halves on departure, but I would be interested if anyone in receipt of the OAP in Thailand can tell me one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

The last six months have been uncertain.

I returned to Australia a few weeks before my sixty fifth birthday and applied for the pension. I was REFUSED!

My experience may help other good Australians who retire early.

When you apply for the pension, your residency eligibility is assessed. If you have spent a lot of time out of Australia you will probably be refused, as I was.

If you swear on a stack of bibles that you have seen the error of your ways and will be a good little Aussie, they will classify you as returning resident with the two year probation discussed above.

WARNING: If they THINK (not prove beyond reasonable doubt) that you only plan to stay for the two years to get portability, you are not even a returning resident and get nothing - even while you are living in Oz!

In my case, I have maintained my ties to Australia and, on review, was deemed to have remained a resident - but it was an unexpected hazard.

CONCLUSION: If you plan to retire in Asia with the Australian pension, stay in Australia until you get the pension.

Can anyone shed any light regarding this excerpt from the CL Iinternational site:

"Age Pension

You can generally get Age Pension for the total period of absence however, after 13 weeks your rate may change. It may change again if you remain outside Australia for more than 26 weeks. If you are travelling to New Zealand your rate may be affected by the Social Security Agreement between Australia and New Zealand."

The basic single pension is currently A$658.40/fortnight. Australian residents get a 'supplement' of A$57.70/fn. This includes things like the old telephone allowance. After 26 weeks you loose all allowances. Between 13 and 26 weeks you get a percentage. Rent assistance (up to A$115.20/fn) is a separate thing.

NitNoi7:

I'm not sure I'm following your flow!

You say......"In my case, I have maintained my ties to Australia and, on review, was deemed to have remained a resident - but it was an unexpected hazard"

So are you still refused the OAP? The above states that on review you were deemed to be a resident. So not a Non resident?

Are you in Australia and getting the pension on the proviso that you remain for 2 years before camping out again?

What in your case did they deem "A lot of time out of Australia"?

I think these points are very important as I still have not seen any evidence on this subject 'anywhere' which helps me figure out just what is a long time out of Australia!

Did or do you have a property in Australia in which you live 'most' of the time and have settled utility bills for Elec, Gas Water etc?

Do you maintain Bank and Insurance accounts in Australia?

Are you still with Medicare or a Private Health Insurance?

I think if you returned to Australia after a long absence (whatever that is supposed to entail) and applied just prior to 65 you have been caught in the same trap that a lot of others have been!

Edited by fishhooks

"Age Pension

The basic single pension is currently A$658.40/fortnight. Australian residents get a 'supplement' of A$57.70/fn. This includes things like the old telephone allowance. After 26 weeks you loose all allowances. Between 13 and 26 weeks you get a percentage. Rent assistance (up to A$115.20/fn) is a separate thing.

NitNoi7, The OAP rate paid to overseas recipients was $664 per fortnight including the supplementary allowance before the CPI increase we got in sept last.

The basic supplementory allowance is paid to all recipients and you do not "lose it"as you describe unless you lose the whole pension through being absent from Oz for more than 13 weeks without sanction.

We have a generous welfare system in Australia - over forty thousand baht a month to retire in Thailand!

Non-contributory age pension portability is not common around the world - we are the lucky country. This benefit is eagerly sought by many and Centrelink are the gatekeepers. Case officers have considerable discretion when assessing claims. They try to be fair while implementing government policy and limiting welfare fraud.

NitNoi7:

You say......"In my case, I have maintained my ties to Australia and, on review, was deemed to have remained a resident - but it was an unexpected hazard"

So are you still refused the OAP? The above states that on review you were deemed to be a resident. So not a Non resident?

I am sorry if I was not clear - I have been granted the age pension.

Are you in Australia and getting the pension on the proviso that you remain for 2 years before camping out again?

I had several questions about my status, travel restrictions and portability but my case officer started treating me like some kind f welfare cheat. I understand that I am deemed to have remained a permanent resident and rank equally with other elderly Australians. I believe that I can leave permanently with normal portability.

What in your case did they deem "A lot of time out of Australia"?

Annual visits home, a few weeks each, over the last several years.

I think these points are very important as I still have not seen any evidence on this subject 'anywhere' which helps me figure out just what is a long time out of Australia!

I have seen many of your posts in this thread and you are looking for certainty in a grey area. If I understand correctly, you expect problems unless you change your living arrangements to suit Centrelink.and seek the minimum changes necessary. Good Luck.

I don't understand some of these posts re "my pension was refused because I'm not deemed a returning resident"

As best I know.....

You must have lived, not necessarily worked, in Oz for 10 years (at any time in your life).

You must have been a resident and IN RESIDENCE for two years previous to your claim OR you must stay in residence for two years after you claim.

You must show in the later case that you do in fact plan to stay.

That's it.

If you're an Australian by birth or been naturalized you are entitled to OP with the above provisos.

Kenny.

"I have seen many of your posts in this thread and you are looking for certainty in a grey area. If I understand correctly, you expect problems unless you change your living arrangements to suit Centrelink.and seek the minimum changes necessary. Good Luck".....NitNoi7

No..I'm not really looking for certainty, only examples of what others have come up against with regard to their absences. There have been examples quoted from time to time during the run of this thread and they have been quite helpful, but there has not been much recent info, although I gather your adventure with Centrelink has been fairly recent.

From what I understand now it seems that prospective OAP applicants who spend a major amount of time overseas and more or less come back here for holidays are the ones that run into trouble. As are the applicants who make a quick visit here prior to their 65th birthday just to fill in the forms!

Correct me if I'm again not fully understanding, but are you saying that you have been only coming back to Australia for a few weeks each year?

If so I think you are quite lucky to have received the outcome that you have, particularly with the portability.

Your outcome has also made me feel more relieved as I'm the other way around, thus two overseas trips in 2009 but only one in 2010 and one proposed for 2011. Thus I'm here significanly more than overseas.

But...............Allow me a "Senior Moment" What still cofuses me with regard to the whole issue is the 2nd point which AussieKenny makes in his above post.

Thus "You must have been a resident and IN RESIDENCE for two years previous to your claim OR you must stay in residence for two years after you claim"

Does this proviso mean that you are not allowed to travel O/S for a holiday during this two year lead-up to application or two year after grant?

Surely, you are still in residence for all purposes (including taxation) IN and AROUND a holiday, even if it is overseas.

NitNoi7, if I interprate all of what you have said correctly, you have been out of Australia for most of the 2 years prior to your successful application, which makes this 2nd point quoted above not applicable OR metered out in different ways depending on your Case Officer!

Nitnoi... what state are you in and what was your appeal procedure.

I have been looking at these posts for a couple of yrs now not sure with 2 kids and mrs if i want to return to oz, but after changing my mind 100 times,have decided to stay,in thailand ,my address for the last 20yrs has been my sons and still is in OZ, we owned 2 properties [sold] so i only have son's add,i return 1 to 2 times a yr ,3/4weeks a time,using his add,have bank acc,use medicare card each time,have over 60s pension card.i am now 62,next yr at 63 intend to try and work 1/2 months till 65 each return, then apply,have been here in thaland 7 yrs now,but as said always return each yr.

the other question is what ties do u have in thailand [mrs, kids etc] if so did u declare them or go solo,with what you said you get seems solo,

maybe you got lucky but as fishooks says all info helps someone.

cat

I have been looking at these posts for a couple of yrs now not sure with 2 kids and mrs if i want to return to oz, but after changing my mind 100 times,have decided to stay,in thailand ,my address for the last 20yrs has been my sons and still is in OZ, we owned 2 properties [sold] so i only have son's add,i return 1 to 2 times a yr ,3/4weeks a time,using his add,have bank acc,use medicare card each time,have over 60s pension card.i am now 62,next yr at 63 intend to try and work 1/2 months till 65 each return, then apply,have been here in thaland 7 yrs now,but as said always return each yr.

the other question is what ties do u have in thailand [mrs, kids etc] if so did u declare them or go solo,with what you said you get seems solo,

cat

catwho, The proposed new rules pertaining to Australian pensions is due to be tabled in parliament early in the new year,so its a bit premature to plan to far ahead.

If the press releases are anything to go by the rules are supposed to be tightened and once enacted will be rigourisly applied.

Evidentally their main target are the Disability pensioners who ,if the latest press releases are a guide will only be permitted one month per annum outside Oz in a calendar year.

The rules for OAP are fairly clear in that you are required to have spent the majority of the 2 years prior to applying in order to prove residency or the two years immediately following the granting of OAP.

Now that Centrelink and Immigration computers are linked their is no sense telling them porkies,in my own case they were able to real of the dates right back to 1989 when I came and went.

If your wife is of working age ,that will be effect your ultimate pension,so your are better to keep your marriage hush hush.

As you are still a bit off reaching the two year prior to applying period ,a call to centrelink international may be in order,they will explain to you ,what is expected of you in order to apply and be granted the OAP .

Its a free call on 001 800 611 4136,have your CRN number to quote for them.

Best of luck

cat

catwho, The proposed new rules pertaining to Australian pensions is due to be tabled in parliament early in the new year,so its a bit premature to plan to far ahead.

If the press releases are anything to go by the rules are supposed to be tightened and once enacted will be rigourisly applied.

Evidentally their main target are the Disability pensioners who ,if the latest press releases are a guide will only be permitted one month per annum outside Oz in a calendar year.

The rules for OAP are fairly clear in that you are required to have spent the majority of the 2 years prior to applying in order to prove residency or the two years immediately following the granting of OAP.

Now that Centrelink and Immigration computers are linked their is no sense telling them porkies,in my own case they were able to real of the dates right back to 1989 when I came and went.

If your wife is of working age ,that will be effect your ultimate pension,so your are better to keep your marriage hush hush.

As you are still a bit off reaching the two year prior to applying period ,a call to centrelink international may be in order,they will explain to you ,what is expected of you in order to apply and be granted the OAP .

Its a free call on 001 800 611 4136,have your CRN number to quote for them.

Best of luck

Thanks ozzy,i was hopeing [by some miricale] that the gov would make it easier for us OS,BUT will probaly do opp,

i did see while in pattaya mail,tv. an interview with dr ian at the OZ

chamber of Com,with new embassador to thaland,ian asked if he was aware of our problem with OAP living here,of course he said NO,

dr ian filled him in ,probaly on deaf ears.[6 months ago]my mate did ring hobart, and asked for me they said still 2 yr probation,i have nearly 3yrs to worry about it,but when you see posts like nitnoi's,maybe you need a good story and pot luck where you apply.I'd STILL like to know what was said and done at nitnoi's appeal to change their mind.

ta cat

ozzydom:

Thanks for info above.

I actually called C/L International today as per your post.

As would be obvious, I have been concerned for some time re this 2 year pre OAP residency rule.

Although I was told in the first instance it's up to the first Case Officer who looks at one's situation, the guy told me that with the information I gave him I should have no trouble at all.

As I imagined, and he spelt it out, this 2 year rule mainly comes into play where the applicant is deemed (suspected I guess) of actually "RESIDING" in another 'non agreement' country, coming back here to claim the pension, then hot-footing it back to live overseas again.

I am the opposite of this. At this stage I have no plans whatsoever of living in Thailand and have never lived in Thailand, BUT, my wife who is an Australian Resident and I do take longish trips back there. She has extensive family there. This guy today went as far as to say that even if our trips were for 6 months or so, providing we are in the main, resident here, I should easily be able to prove this.

So, apologies for harping on about this from time to time, but I'm fairly confident that I won't come up against problem, except of course maybe having to appeal if the first link in the C/L chain is as difficult as some we have read about here.

With complete due respect to NitNoi7, I think he should feel himself very very lucky to have had success with his application including the option of portability.

Edited by fishhooks

What pisses me off is that they are making conditions to give us back money which we paid year after year in the past.

It's our money.

I started working in Australia when I was 14 yeas old and left Oz when I was 58.

So I've paid taxes for 44 years (never been out of work, on the dole or any form of social security. I've never even been in hospital.

Now they come up with this petty "oh you haven't been here for two years so bad luck".

The fact is, there are so many "baby boomers" that were born from about 1944 to 1954 that the government just cant work out how to pay everyone their entitlement.

Kenny

What pisses me off is that they are making conditions to give us back money which we paid year after year in the past.

It's our money.

I started working in Australia when I was 14 yeas old and left Oz when I was 58.

So I've paid taxes for 44 years (never been out of work, on the dole or any form of social security. I've never even been in hospital.

Now they come up with this petty "oh you haven't been here for two years so bad luck".

The fact is, there are so many "baby boomers" that were born from about 1944 to 1954 that the government just cant work out how to pay everyone their entitlement.

Kenny

Wrong Kenny,the day they deducted your income tax it became consolidated revenue which is used to provide the infrastructure such as roads, bridges,police, armed forces, education, hospitals ,public transport public servants salaries etc etc as well as groups like ATSIC and Abstudy ,Aid packages, the list is endless.

The overgenerous pension schemes for politicians is in the mix.as well as the huge cost of fighting wars here there and everywhere.

The problem is that Governments are notoriously bad managers and virtually every country in the world is living on credit and paying the huge associated interest costs,its a bit like the pheonix bird that flies in ever decreasing cicles until it disappears up its own orifice,sooner or later the piper must be paid, which means higher taxes or lowering of services and any elected goverment is loath to do either.

The fact that we are now living 10 yrs longer than was envisaged back in the 30s and 40s is another big cost as for that extra 10 years we oldies are takers not givers.Perhaps they should double all salaries which would double tax revenue,then they could afford to pay we oldies to live in the manner we desire. :whistling:

Joking of course,compared to most developed nations ,we are pretty well off .A bonus is the fact that our pensions are CPI indexed.(but dont tell the Brits)

It's our money.

Kenny

Wrong Kenny,the day they deducted your income tax it became consolidated revenue which is used to provide the infrastructure such as roads, bridges,police, armed forces, education, hospitals ,public transport public servants salaries etc etc as well as groups like ATSIC and Abstudy ,Aid packages, the list is endless.

The overgenerous pension schemes for politicians is in the mix.as well as the huge cost of fighting wars here there and everywhere.

The problem is that Governments are notoriously bad managers and virtually every country in the world is living on credit and paying the huge associated interest costs,its a bit like the pheonix bird that flies in ever decreasing cicles until it disappears up its own orifice,sooner or later the piper must be paid, which means higher taxes or lowering of services and any elected goverment is loath to do either.

The fact that we are now living 10 yrs longer than was envisaged back in the 30s and 40s is another big cost as for that extra 10 years we oldies are takers not givers.Perhaps they should double all salaries which would double tax revenue,then they could afford to pay we oldies to live in the manner we desire. :whistling:

Joking of course,compared to most developed nations ,we are pretty well off .A bonus is the fact that our pensions are CPI indexed.(but dont tell the Brits)

Actually only half true...prior to about 1944 The Age and disability pension was a seperate levy paid to the Commonwealth into a special fund. The Federal government wanted to take over tax powers and the acumulated funds from the states...they had no tax power before. As part of the temporary agreement to hand them powers agreements were made that these pensions were to continue as if there was a special fund.

Edited by harrry

I found a good site that may help explain some of these quires. www.welfarerights.org.au

A independent social security handbook. Of special interest is Part 2.2 on portability, and Chapter 45, Item 4.5 covering recent returnees to Australia and former residents.

Me being a computer dummy, Can someone put the imfo on here and explain how they understand the information on that site.

Many of these queries can be answered if you read the Centerlink manual. eg.

Chapter 11. Item 2..3 ''Resides in Australia'' Paragraph 2 and 3

A person's absence or intended absence overseas dose not mean that they will necessarily be regarded as having ceased to ''reside in Australia''. However, the longer a

physical absence overseas, the less likely it is to be accepted that the person still ''resides in Australia ''.

An assessment of whether a person '' resides in Australia'' depends greatly on the intentions of the person. It is a question of whether the person intends to treat Australia as

their settled home for the for foreseeable future, without any definite intention of ceasing to do so. Centerlink will look at a persons intentions for the future and their established links with Australia, eg, property, bank accounts and family ties in Australia.

For new claims, Centerlink will generally accept that a long-term resident of Australia is a person who '' resides in Australia ''. The question of a persons intentions with regard to continuing to live in Australia usually only arises for new migrants or people returning to Australia after an extended absence overseas.

When deciding whether a person ''resides in Australia ''Centerlink must have regard to :

+ the nature of the accommodation used by the person in Australia;

+the nature and extent of the family relationships the person has in Australia;

+the nature and extent of the persons employment. business or financial ties with Australia;

+the nature and extent of the persons assets located in Australia;

+the frequency and duration of the persons travel outside Australia;

+any other matters relevant to determining whether the person intends to remain permanently in Australia

Centerlink should have regard to all these factors without allowing any single factor to be conclusive.

www.welfarerights.org.au/isshsep07

After all that typing, my index finger is worn out . How can I apply for a ''Disability pension''

Edited by eight

• 2 weeks later...

You should contact the local office of Centrelink, the web site is not very explicit. Thailand does not have any social security agreements with Australia.You must be in Australia to apply when you are 65 for age {retirement) pension.

Full pension is 25 years in Australia part pension after 10 years. You can get the payments credited to your Australian bank account. However you must notify Centrelink if you are going overseas and how long you will be away.

Everyones circumstances are different so one should contact Centrelink, in person, and state your case.

There are special requirements for Australian citizens returning to Australia to claim an age pension after living or working overseas for a number of years.

If you have problems with Centrelink staff take the matter up with your local Federal Member their office might be able to solve it with a telephone call.

Be careful with your local Centrelink. I was told all sorts of worrying siht like it will be stopped after 3 months etc. Eventually got on to another department "OVERSEAS AUSTRALIAN PENSIONS" the guy there was very helpful, told me that local centrelink are hopeless, take no notice of them. He took my particulars, called me back within 2 hrs and told me that i would get all my pension except for the incidentals (meds etc) for as long as i am overseas, its has been paid into my acct regularly since, 12 months ago. When i go back i report to centrelink for the full entitlements. No worries mate !

Thanks to all for the interesting and valuable information on this thread. The last time I contacted Centrelink, perhaps 5 years ago (in Melbourne), they said:

- Absolutely no chance whatever, and regardless of any personal different circumstances, of getting the Old Age Pension.

At the same time I rang The Veterans Affairs office in Melbourne (I am a Vietnam veteran)and spoke to one officer who was quite pleasant and positive and he offered to personally process my application form etc., but the line was cut before I got his name. I called back and couldn't locate the same guy but ended up speaking to a female officer who was totally negative, said I would get nothing and in the process was simply rude, and she indicated:

- Absolutely no chance whatever, and regardless of any personal different circumstances, of getting the War Veterand Pension. (I am a Vietnam veteran.)

From what I've just read it seems that some folks are receiving part of full Old Age Pension (dependant of course on various personal circumstances).

Travelling to Australia to get it all started it not a good option for me because of my current health situation. Has anybody used a lawyer or an agent of some sort, In Australia, to get try to get it started?

Would appreciate anything other members can share on this point.

Thanks.

SCORECARD..............just make sure you call "Australian overseas pensions department" and NOT centrelink general.

Thanks to all for the interesting and valuable information on this thread. The last time I contacted Centrelink, perhaps 5 years ago (in Melbourne), they said:

- Absolutely no chance whatever, and regardless of any personal different circumstances, of getting the Old Age Pension.

At the same time I rang The Veterans Affairs office in Melbourne (I am a Vietnam veteran)and spoke to one officer who was quite pleasant and positive and he offered to personally process my application form etc., but the line was cut before I got his name. I called back and couldn't locate the same guy but ended up speaking to a female officer who was totally negative, said I would get nothing and in the process was simply rude, and she indicated:

- Absolutely no chance whatever, and regardless of any personal different circumstances, of getting the War Veterand Pension. (I am a Vietnam veteran.)

From what I've just read it seems that some folks are receiving part of full Old Age Pension (dependant of course on various personal circumstances).

Travelling to Australia to get it all started it not a good option for me because of my current health situation. Has anybody used a lawyer or an agent of some sort, In Australia, to get try to get it started?

Would appreciate anything other members can share on this point.

Thanks.

SCORECARD....I will personally call overseas pensions tomorrow and see what i can find out for you. ( i am back in Qld right now)

David.

"Age Pension

I haven't seen any reference on this forum to any such time related changes. I know that the supplement payment halves on departure, but I would be interested if anyone in receipt of the OAP in Thailand can tell me one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the rate will surely be reduced as you will not get medical allowance or phone allowance etc. However the basic rate should not change.............mine does not.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone this thread has not been added to since 2008 so I wonder in 2011 if anything has changed legislation-wise...

I am over 65. Australian citizen working in Korea. The question is. Once I have applied do I have to re-apply for my pension every year or do I have notify Centerlink of my circumstance so they can continue paying my pension? I'll staying here for another 1.5 years.

Perhaps they could give those smokers a discount on tax because they won't be living longer and become a drain the society by claiming the pension for so long.

It does annoy me very much though, part of the tax you pay now goes towards payment for people on the OAP. So when I hit the age, after working 95% of my life in oz I would like to think I can also get the pension.

My father worked half his life in the UK and the other half in oz. He gets a part pension from both countries which adds up to more money than if he was just on the oz pension.

But if I am overseas for a couple of years before retirement I get sod all.

Grrrrrr.

l am 59 ,,"entitled" to get the pension at 65 ,, have been living here for 5 years ,,,, can someone tell me what the Aus government require of me to be eligible to get the AOP ,,

thanks for any assistance

l am 59 ,,"entitled" to get the pension at 65 ,, have been living here for 5 years ,,,, can someone tell me what the Aus government require of me to be eligible to get the AOP ,,

thanks for any assistance

egg; there was a post on here a few years back about a guy who tried to get the OAP but denied by C/L because he had been out of Oz for 2 years. After a fight with C/L & help from his local Member he finally got it.

There is a very good forum dealing with all of the issues that are now cropping up with C/L. As I can not put the address on here, PM me if you want any info. This other forum is run by a guy called Banjo.

I read your mention of a forum dealing with Australians living overseas. I would appreciate the link to this forum. I have a friend (74yo) who was getting OAP in asia until early last year. Then he came back to work for for 6 months. He informed Centre Link of all this. He had to reapply for the pension when he finished work and was told he needed to stay in Australia for two years to re-establish his residency requirements. He had bought a house overseas and established a family and cannot afford to return to them and cannot really afford to stay in Aust on the OAP. Any clues. I will put this on the Thai visa forum. Thanks. Yuwi.

Comment from 7by7.

Members are reminded of Forum rule 10 "......... Not to post URL links to other forums.............."

Edited by 7by7