Phoning To The U.s.

Baaksida

Need to make a longer one-time call to the U.S. (I'm not American).

Can't use the mobile phone, so I'm looking for an inexpensive telephone service (in Hat Yai or Songkhla) to the U.S. Any suggestions?

Cheers!!

Go to an internet shop. Sit down at a computer that has Yahoo messenger on it. Have your friend in the States find a computer with Yahoo on it as well (and arrange a time to chat). Then use a microphone and headphones to set up a voice chat through Yahoo. Talk for free as long as you want.

Or, go to Thaitel.com and buy a phone card online. It's cheaper to call from the States, so email your friend the card number and then have them call you. It works out to about $.01 a minute (~0.5 baht a minute).

Need to make a longer one-time call to the U.S. (I'm not American).

Can't use the mobile phone, so I'm looking for an inexpensive telephone service (in Hat Yai or Songkhla) to the U.S. Any suggestions?

Cheers!!

Go to an internet shop. Sit down at a computer that has Yahoo messenger on it. Have your friend in the States find a computer with Yahoo on it as well (and arrange a time to chat). Then use a microphone and headphones to set up a voice chat through Yahoo. Talk for free as long as you want.

Or, go to Thaitel.com and buy a phone card online. It's cheaper to call from the States, so email your friend the card number and then have them call you. It works out to about $.01 a minute (~0.5 baht a minute).

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

However, I'm not calling a friend, but a company (brokerage firm), because I forgot my (changed) online password. And I doubt, that they will go through the trouble of using Yahoo messenger... :o

However, I'm not calling a friend, but a company (brokerage firm), because I forgot my (changed) online password. And I doubt, that they will go through the trouble of using Yahoo messenger... :o

If you're just looking to make a one time call, just use any of the international payphones, or use one of those international cellphones that sidewalk vendors will rent out to you by the minute.

I thought you were calling someone on a regular basis, but if you're just calling a company to retrieve a password (and once you got that, you'll conduct the rest of your business with them online), then it's just not worth the energy to find the cheapest option.

Don't forget opportunity cost. The amount of time you spend looking for the cheapest rate has to be added in to the total "cost" of that phone call. Or is your time free?

Dtac Happy Promt, are supposedly doing a 7.5 baht per min deal until the end of the year. I say supposedley because I dialed up last week and ended up paying 14 per min. I think this may have been because I forgot to put the 009 instead of 001. Though the promotion did say that 001 was acceptable too.