Brace Yourselves In Bophut

Rooo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'm going, it looks great! Went up there yesterday to check the place out ... it does look like it might p*ss a few 'non party people' off a bit though. I'll be taking bets on it making it through until sunrise if anyone's interested :o

was it busy just curious, also how much to get in, i heard 1000 baht but cannot beleive that. i cettainly heard it all night but thankfully plenty of spare houses, i would just like to get some idea if it looks like being a regular event.

Wow this turned into an enetertaining thread whilst I was away at the weekend. I did make a very flippant comment about party poopers, but I am actually sympathetic to those who had to listen to the party all night. From the looks of the event though I would say it is probably at most going to be a once yearly thing. The reason I was supporting it is that as someone who has moved here from London I find the lack of cultural events very depressing. This may not be everyone's idea of culture, but it was a chance to see worldwide DJing talent in a great venue - not something you get the chance to see in this part of the world that often.

The local residents of Pilton where the Glastonbury festival is held have to deal with a massive once yearly onslaught, however by and large they have now accepted it, with the help of some sweeteners by the organizers. I think that is what was lacking here - there seems to have been no communication between the organizers and the local residents - which I don't agree with. Perhaps if there had then people would be able to see the benefits of such an event and not just the negatives.

Me too!

Cheers.

PS. Was wondering what you mean when you say there were plenty of spare houses?

i meant i will move away from the area if it is going to be regular. i just checked out Plai Lam and Bang Rak and there are plenty of houses for rent. i could not stand that every week

Honestly, Jose, I did not hear it at all. And I am just down the road from you. Of course, we are in a sort of a corner here, so perhaps that slowed down the sound waves.

Or maybe the breeze direction at that time had something to do with it, SBK. Mind you, it's so quiet on our part of the beach at that time of the morning, one can almost hear a pin drop... :o

jose '-)

We live in Bantai KPG, over 18Km away across the sea, and could hear the music from Bophut thumping away until 3:15am.

My sympathy to any locals trying to get some sleep.

jose '-)

Jose,

The party finished about 8 am.Lucky for you the wind changed.

Me too!

Cheers.

PS. Was wondering what you mean when you say there were plenty of spare houses?

i meant i will move away from the area if it is going to be regular. i just checked out Plai Lam and Bang Rak and there are plenty of houses for rent. i could not stand that every week

Oh yes I understand what you mean now. Anyway if it's any comfort, I would not pack your bags just yet, as I believe the costs for promotion/DJ's/etc. was huge, and the attendance was relatively poor and quite a few were non paying invited guests, so I cannot imagine the organisers will be too keen to make large losses very often! But hey! Who knows? This is Samui!

Wow this turned into an enetertaining thread whilst I was away at the weekend. I did make a very flippant comment about party poopers, but I am actually sympathetic to those who had to listen to the party all night. From the looks of the event though I would say it is probably at most going to be a once yearly thing. The reason I was supporting it is that as someone who has moved here from London I find the lack of cultural events very depressing. This may not be everyone's idea of culture, but it was a chance to see worldwide DJing talent in a great venue - not something you get the chance to see in this part of the world that often.

The local residents of Pilton where the Glastonbury festival is held have to deal with a massive once yearly onslaught, however by and large they have now accepted it, with the help of some sweeteners by the organizers. I think that is what was lacking here - there seems to have been no communication between the organizers and the local residents - which I don't agree with. Perhaps if there had then people would be able to see the benefits of such an event and not just the negatives.

The main difference being, that at Glastonbury it's about disturbing a few in order to entertain thousands, whereas in this case it was more about disturbing thousands in order to entertain just a few. Let's have it right! I have been as big a "party animal" as anyone on the planet in my time, but as far as I'm aware I always did my partying where it was acceptible and not at the expense of other peoples space and peace in their own homes.

We live in Bantai KPG, over 18Km away across the sea, and could hear the music from Bophut thumping away until 3:15am.

I find this practically impossible to believe.

Yes, as incredible as it seems, sound travels over still water (i.e. damp air) at night like you wouldn't believe. For example, the sound of fireworks in Samui usually arrives here in Bantai about 45-60 sec later.

Even in the middle of the day, we can clearly hear the Lomprayah and Seatran boat engines churning away until they've gone almost half way across the strait, about 4-7Km away.

jose '-)

Edited by Jose

i wouldnt be too concerned about this party happening again, it was a huge loss for someone that was desperate for a huge influx of cash. all the money spent to promote the event was borrowed, the event was a disaster, attendance was very poor and half of them were non paying. lol @ connected. this man is about as connected as my big toe is to this keyboard.

look for a legitimate international hotel chain to be taking over that property soon, at a very big bargain discount price.

Yes, as incredible as it seems, sound travels over still water (i.e. damp air) at night like you wouldn't believe. For example, the sound of fireworks in Samui usually arrives here in Bantai about 45-60 sec later.

Even in the middle of the day, we can clearly hear the Lomprayah and Seatran boat engines churning away until they've gone almost half way across the strait, about 4-7Km away.

jose '-)

Indeed, its true, we can hear the percussion from the fireworks going off in Samui. :o

i wouldnt be too concerned about this party happening again, it was a huge loss for someone that was desperate for a huge influx of cash. all the money spent to promote the event was borrowed, the event was a disaster, attendance was very poor and half of them were non paying. lol @ connected. this man is about as connected as my big toe is to this keyboard.

look for a legitimate international hotel chain to be taking over that property soon, at a very big bargain discount price.

Wish I was connected! :o

jose '-)

Indeed, its true, we can hear the percussion from the fireworks going off in Samui. :o

To me the fireworks-story makes sence. That fireworks that go 40-100 meter up in the air can be heard 15 km from where the go off. Whatever that has to do with a party in Bophut being heard in Ban tai, wich quite frankly i dont beleive at all.

Mattias, you don't hear the boom boom boom of parties? The bass is incredibly loud and it is very easy for such noises to travel over open water when it is clear and calm. Suggest you investigate how sound travels before accusing someone of lying :o

Mattias, you don't hear the boom boom boom of parties? The bass is incredibly loud and it is very easy for such noises to travel over open water when it is clear and calm. Suggest you investigate how sound travels before accusing someone of lying :o

SBK you seem to take too much too seriously - I don't think mattias accused anyone of lying , he said he did not believe , not the same - not that it is really very important anyway .

I know exactly how sound travels, thats why i find it very hard to beleive. I did NOT call anybody a liar, i just said i dont beleive it. No accusations so please dont create a fight that is not nessesary at all. But i hope im still entitled to have oppinions, right?

The boom boom boom from a bass is not the same as the fireworks, because the soundsorce dont move (speakers). The reason you hear fireworks from Samui is that they get closer to you after they are in the air. And also i find it a bit interresting that you a few posts away said you did not hear anything and from the looks of it also had some doubt?

Actually, the speed of sound in air (waterlevel, 20 degrees c) is only 343 meters/second. In water the speed (same temperature) is 1482 m/s. So if it was not clear and calm over that open water, but high waves and rough sea instead, you would have at least 3 times bigger chans to play smart with me.

Thanks for the suggestion, i pass it right back to you. :D

Nope, I said I am in a corner. This party was in one location. The fireworks tend to be the entire length of the island. Also, wasn't this party up in the hills? ie raised above the rest of the island? So, kind of similar to the altitude fireworks reach? and no, I didn't say I didn't believe him, I do, just that it was amazing. Sad, but amazing. You forgot mattias, koh Phangan has parties all over the place all month long. I can hear a party quite clearly in the hills behind our house even though it is 4-5 km away, with trees and houses intervening, so yeah, I believe it. It depends on which way the wind is blowing how loud they can get.

Sorry if I took it that you that you were saying Jose was lying, I should know better, English is not your first language and perhaps you don't phrase things the best way. Accept my apologies. :o

"Bophut Hills" as someone mentioned....but where exactly is that location ?

Anybody who can post a Google Earth image perhaps ?

LaoPo

Nope, I said I am in a corner. This party was in one location. The fireworks tend to be the entire length of the island. Also, wasn't this party up in the hills? ie raised above the rest of the island? So, kind of similar to the altitude fireworks reach? and no, I didn't say I didn't believe him, I do, just that it was amazing. Sad, but amazing. You forgot mattias, koh Phangan has parties all over the place all month long. I can hear a party quite clearly in the hills behind our house even though it is 4-5 km away, with trees and houses intervening, so yeah, I believe it. It depends on which way the wind is blowing how loud they can get.

Sorry if I took it that you that you were saying Jose was lying, I should know better, English is not your first language and perhaps you don't phrase things the best way. Accept my apologies. :o

Apologies accepted. Have to say i enjoy your explanations about how sound and wind works. :D

You are right, Englich is not my first language and my phrasing sucks. And that may also be the reason why i took your statement: "Honestly, Jose, I did not hear it at all. And I am just down the road from you" , as some kind of doubt from your side. Apologies for that missunderstanding but it is because of my Englich, no hard feelings i hope.

Is this in the same are as where the new disc golf course is? Is that still running too? I haven't seen advertising for it anywhere except for the grand opening party article in the Samui Express

Yes the party took place above Disc Golf ( not running by the looks of it ). The location is approx 80 meters above sea level & the speakers were aimed out to sea.I live 500 meters behind it & it wasn't as loud as the bass noise generated from the lake parties in Chaweng.So noise travelling does happen ,the lake parties bass keeps me up all night.

Is this in the same are as where the new disc golf course is? Is that still running too? I haven't seen advertising for it anywhere except for the grand opening party article in the Samui Express

No dont think so. Closed already from the looks off it. At least there dont seem to be any people there.

But the old disc-golf is still up and running i think. And thats been going for some years so that might be a better one to check out.... :D .

Boy are we off topic in this thread?? But at least we have fun! :o

No dont think so. Closed already from the looks off it. At least there dont seem to be any people there.

But the old disc-golf is still up and running i think. And thats been going for some years so that might be a better one to check out.... :D .

Mattias ,

If you are talking about the old Disc Golf in Bophut hills, that is also long gone, it is Now a golf course. Bophut hills Golf Course 9 holes.

Mattias ,

If you are talking about the old Disc Golf in Bophut hills, that is also long gone, it is Now a golf course. Bophut hills Golf Course 9 holes.

Ok, thanks for that correction roo, i actually thought they where still doing the disc-golf, but i just pass there occasionaly and see there is people. So what we learned here is that disc-golf buisness is probably not a good buisness-idea on this island then. Allthough im pretty sure within a few months somebody else come with a "new approach" as always. And as always they pay the "reporters" in samui express to print "articles" (all writen by the owners, same as "foodreviews"). And then close down.......Bankrupsy.

How many times we have to watch the story over and over again? It always amuse me though, to hear the newbies with all their new ideas and new approaches and even when you tell them that its all been done before and dont waste your time and money, they still think their "new idea" is sooooooooo good. I been an expats for only 2 years and i think i already seen 50 people take over crap resorts with no potential what so ever, bars that changed owners 10 times/year. You warn them but they keep claiming "i have free food once a week so i make it" or "i put in maitservice, thats going to change it all". Sad, and amusing, at the same time. If some of these newbies only took the time to at least read Koh samui forum in Thaivisa for half a year before coming here, probably alot of the bankrupsy could be avoided.

Mega off topic by now, but people in westernworld reading this thread before coming here and start up discgolf, hope you learned!!!

:D