A380 Rolls Off Ramp In Singapore

Kerryd

World's Biggest Plane Rolls off Runway in Singapore

SINGAPORE — Singapore Airlines' A380 superjumbo jet sustained superficial damage when it rolled onto grass as it left an airport terminal in the first glitch for the world's biggest passenger plane since going into service in October, the airline said Friday.

Full story: Fox News

I wonder if all the ground crews in all the major airports around the world have taken into account that this beastie is much larger (bigger and heavier) than anything else they've dealt with in the past ?

Might have to upgrade a lot of their ground handling equipment in a hurry !

Second glitch. Didn't they manage to clip the tip of the wing off at Suwanapoom?

They certainly did but that was BEFORE the plane entered commercial service so technically doesn't count. That BKK wing clipping was when it was flying around the world seeing if it fitted in everywhere. Looks like the chaps at SIN bought it without checking first or maybe 'wonderful' Changi isn't "one-size fits all" anymore.

World's Biggest Plane Rolls off Runway in Singapore

SINGAPORE — Singapore Airlines' A380 superjumbo jet sustained superficial damage when it rolled onto grass as it left an airport terminal in the first glitch for the world's biggest passenger plane since going into service in October, the airline said Friday.

Full story: Fox News

I wonder if all the ground crews in all the major airports around the world have taken into account that this beastie is much larger (bigger and heavier) than anything else they've dealt with in the past ?

Might have to upgrade a lot of their ground handling equipment in a hurry !

I watched a discovery TV program the other night,all about this A380. Its fabricated in 5 different countries, the pieces transported ,in some cases with great difficulty, by road,air and sea to Toulouse where its assembled. Its a big big beast and I dont know if I would want to travel on it. A technical marvel I am sure but........

Second glitch. Didn't they manage to clip the tip of the wing off at Suwanapoom?

They certainly did but that was BEFORE the plane entered commercial service so technically doesn't count. That BKK wing clipping was when it was flying around the world seeing if it fitted in everywhere. Looks like the chaps at SIN bought it without checking first or maybe 'wonderful' Changi isn't "one-size fits all" anymore.

Actually, the plane fits. It was the ground handling equipment that failed. As the plane was being pushed back from the gate, the mule failed for some reason and the plane continued to roll backwards. I'll bet that by the time the pilots realised there was a problem, it was too late to apply the brakes.

Good thing it was just a grassy field behind it. In places like Dubai (and others), there are buildings behind some of the gates. If this had happened there, the tail of the plane could have hit something pretty solid.