Relatively Cheap Way To Send 1 Box To Canada?

Shipping costs have gone up dramatically. 4 years ago it cost me $1 to EMS a small item to the US. Today, that same item is $6 to same destination. FedEx is obscene. I figured it actually cost 1/5 the price for me to travel by jet to L.A. California - then to send a box of chopsticks weighing the same via FedEx. The other services are just as crazy.

There used to be a courier company in Bkk. Anyone know if that still exists? They would ship things by plane at reasonable costs, by putting the items under a designated passenger's name. The odd part was the the designated passenger (for whom the courier company paid for a cheap ticket) would have a bunch of different items marked as his 'luggage.' It was completely legal.

Since 9-11 there have been less of those type of courier services. I know, because I used to sell a pamphlet online with courier flight info. Sold hundreds per month. Too bad if that sort of biz no longer exists. It was a win-win for all concerned: the courier companies, the airlines, and the customers who wanted to get stuff shipped overseas for a reasonable rate. Now customers are beholden to FedEx, UPS-Int'l, EMS, and others who continually jack up prices. They all get together and artificially ramp up prices - because some rich customers will pay whatever - without raising a fuss. They think nothing of paying $75 for sending a piece of paper to the U.S. No problem for fat cats on corporate accounts, but the little guys are stuck with not being able to do their small businesses.

Bear in mind that wages have risen, so has fuel etc etc. So it's fair to say that the cost of postage should too.

I'd suggest that if the item(s) are around 5kg EMS may be worth using.

Off topic, but congrats on your 1000th posting

Edited by Shrubbery