Santitam. Urban Renewal. Ready To Boom?

whimsy

I have noticed quite a few new and more upmarket places opening in the Santitam area in the last few months. Today I saw a much nicer than the average for the area apartment block under construction near the Niyom Panich shop corner. Then there is the still rather empty, but nicely constructed Santitam Plaza that opened a couple of months ago.

Apart from a few nice houses and apartments in some of the side streets, this area has long been a fairly grubby, but cheap and highly populated student zone. It has a lot of character.

Is Santitam about to experience the kind of makeover and subsequent boom in land prices that the Nimmenheimin area went through in the last 2 - 3 years? Perhaps Nimmenheimen is becoming too expensive and trendy for the students it used to serve and the type of student places that once were there are relocating to the Santitam area?

I have noticed quite a few new and more upmarket places opening in the Santitam area in the last few months. Today I saw a much nicer than the average for the area apartment block under construction near the Niyom Panich shop corner. Then there is the still rather empty, but nicely constructed Santitam Plaza that opened a couple of months ago.

Apart from a few nice houses and apartments in some of the side streets, this area has long been a fairly grubby, but cheap and highly populated student zone. It has a lot of character.

Is Santitam about to experience the kind of makeover and subsequent boom in land prices that the Nimmenheimin area went through in the last 2 - 3 years? Perhaps Nimmenheimen is becoming too expensive and trendy for the students it used to serve and the type of student places that once were there are relocating to the Santitam area?

IMHO I don't think.

I understand Santitam to be the area near the roundabout/traffic box, north of the YMCA, north of Chang Puak gate and a bit west of that gate. I used to walk through there when I lived at Vianping Mansion (2003-2005), and I used to get my hair cut at the shop near the police box. Wasn't aware it's getting trendy.

I understand Santitam to be the area near the roundabout/traffic box, north of the YMCA, north of Chang Puak gate and a bit west of that gate. I used to walk through there when I lived at Vianping Mansion (2003-2005), and I used to get my hair cut at the shop near the police box. Wasn't aware it's getting trendy.

There's a joke here but I can't quite nail it at the moment PB.

Edited by Loaded

Can't say I have lived in Chiang Mai for nearly as long as some of the sketchpats lurking around here, but after 6 months, I definitely thought that Santitham was the next big prime area for gentrification, once Canal Road is developed. I give it 5 years, not 10.

Nimmanhaemin's renaissance is going to plateau sooner than later, but when exactly ultimately depends on how fast CNX air traffic builds up... the disturbances created by the current flight path directly overhead will only worsen as additional international flights arrive and long-overdue direct R/T connections are finally made to Krabi/Phuket/etc. And inevitably, one of those jets will eventually crash into a nearby condo--I predict the "103" building--or maybe even the mountain...

...then again, I've also heard talk of building a new airport?

Has nimanheimann been developed? There are some new coffee shops, some poorly built shopping units and a couple of expat condos but not really any major development. The problem is Thais don't want the cost of demolishing old buildings so they'll always look for 'virgin' areas to build new blocks of shophouses that nobody wants.