New Deadly Flesh Eating Mrsa Bug Set To Sweep The World

LaoPo

Aloha

One can always look at each other, keep hands off, And choke the chicken, Wait till they find a cure, Then attack each other at will, If ones life is always going to be a bummer, Then it can be a bummer! They never promised us a rose garden and if they did, watch out for all of the pricks that you can get, When one pokes things into other peoples business, your bound to have a problem from time to time, May health and happiness be with us all.

Koto, The life of the people is in the land, Take care of your life and the land

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very sad that these new diseases often focus on Gay people??? Why?

Three reasons.

One is the very high rate of promiscuity among gay men, which exposes them to a wider variety of bugs in an "intimate" way.

Second is that promiscuous gay men have a very high rate of STD infection and lower immune systems due to these frequent infections and also frequent drug use that goes along with the lifestyle, making them more vulnerable to infections.

Third is the nature of homosexual sexual activities. The walls of the rectum are fragile and there is usually some trauma making the blood vessels in the wall easily entered by pathogens which are also delivered into that area in large amounts in a nutritive medium.

Lesbians don't have infection rates at higher than the normal population. Looking at the reasons for gay male infections, you can probably work out why.

A good non-biased post which puts "risk" into perspective - although it seems those who would rather see the initial post and some subsequent posts as "P" have coveniently passed over "Post 8 " as it does not support their "P" style of thinking.

For those about to take umbridge "P" in this case = Paranoia :o

It's very sad that these new diseases often focus on Gay people??? Why?

Three reasons.

One is the very high rate of promiscuity among gay men, which exposes them to a wider variety of bugs in an "intimate" way.

Second is that promiscuous gay men have a very high rate of STD infection and lower immune systems due to these frequent infections and also frequent drug use that goes along with the lifestyle, making them more vulnerable to infections.

Third is the nature of homosexual sexual activities. The walls of the rectum are fragile and there is usually some trauma making the blood vessels in the wall easily entered by pathogens which are also delivered into that area in large amounts in a nutritive medium.

Lesbians don't have infection rates at higher than the normal population. Looking at the reasons for gay male infections, you can probably work out why.

A good non-biased post which puts "risk" into perspective - although it seems those who would rather see the initial post and some subsequent posts as "P" have coveniently passed over "Post 8 " as it does not support their "P" style of thinking.

For those about to take umbridge "P" in this case = Paranoia :o

Poster and to some extent koto too.

Yes agreed in principle, but it's all very well putting risk in to perspective on a rational level, quite different living with the consequences on a real level. Even a dose of clap can be a serious emotional challenge to a young westerner for instance, and a brush with the alleged HIV virus? well people often go to pieces. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, and yes westerners have had an overly easy ride, but I'd contend that's the way it is. Sure, let's have a discussion on the nature of risk, the relative morbidity of certain sex acts, the dangers or otherwise of certain diseases, but let's also note that illness just isn't funny and is best avoided. Your attitude suggests a somewhat overly relaxed approach to risk. In my opinion world health agencies have a lot to answer for in promoting unnecessary fear in low and no risk people - this latest MRSA scare shows they have not learnt from the AIDS debacle, but a knee jerk reaction in the opposite is equally as bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Although this discussion seems to be moving towards HIV/AIDS I thought it might be worth posting this here due to the title.

I returned from two weeks in Thailand on 3 February 2008. I spent ten days diving, staying in Kata Beach, Phuket during the period in which the infection was acquired.

It may or may not be relevant to the reader that I had no sexual contact whilst I was there.

A tiny scratch, which broke the skin, became infected and necrosis began soon. Swabs revealed infection with (community-acquired) MRSA of a variant which is very rare in my geographical area. All the other cases have been in people who had visited south-east Asia.

Symptoms have been normal for MRSA.

Now to the particularly relevant part of the post: this variant is susceptible to clindamycin hydrochloride which might be worth noting if you have the typical symptoms of MRSA.

If you really want to see the wound after about a week have a look at http://www.s-b.org.uk/mrsa01.html but it's not for the squeamish!

Aloha

One can always look at each other, keep hands off, And choke the chicken, Wait till they find a cure, Then attack each other at will, If ones life is always going to be a bummer, Then it can be a bummer! They never promised us a rose garden and if they did, watch out for all of the pricks that you can get, When one pokes things into other peoples business, your bound to have a problem from time to time, May health and happiness be with us all.

Koto, The life of the people is in the land, Take care of your life and the land

welcome Koto the keeper

was wondering when you would be on this site.

Barry

Although this discussion seems to be moving towards HIV/AIDS I thought it might be worth posting this here due to the title.

I returned from two weeks in Thailand on 3 February 2008. I spent ten days diving, staying in Kata Beach, Phuket during the period in which the infection was acquired.

It may or may not be relevant to the reader that I had no sexual contact whilst I was there.

A tiny scratch, which broke the skin, became infected and necrosis began soon. Swabs revealed infection with (community-acquired) MRSA of a variant which is very rare in my geographical area. All the other cases have been in people who had visited south-east Asia.

Symptoms have been normal for MRSA.

Now to the particularly relevant part of the post: this variant is susceptible to clindamycin hydrochloride which might be worth noting if you have the typical symptoms of MRSA.

If you really want to see the wound after about a week have a look at http://www.s-b.org.uk/mrsa01.html but it's not for the squeamish!

I am sorry to hear about your 'problem'....not a very nice thing to catch, is it ? :D (I saw your pic....)

The problem with this topic is that 2 Members posted about the same "methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA", Taxexile and myself but from different original sources.

I posted a little earlier than Taxexile and posted the article (Reuters) at the Gay forum since it WAS about a "Gay Sex passed found MRSA moves beyond Hospital borders", but unfortunately the more sensational 'title' of Taxexile's source was used as the Topic Title and the 2 topics were merged under the 'Health Forum' rather than the Gay Forum. So there is a little confusion about where this topic is all about: Gay and/or health.

'My' original source's headline -see post #1-:

Drug-resistant staph found to be passed in gay sex

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idU...0080114?sp=true

Note: I hope you will fully recover from your nasty bugs (if I may say so). :o If one reads about this dangerous MRSA it's very scary....

Wish you well !

LaoPo

nobody has hinted at my opinion, held for thirtyyears or so, this was on the cards within the medical profession since i dont know when, calm down all you gays its not your fault. it is down to every single one of you that have taken antibiotics, at any time since there conception, and not taken the full course, hence you kill enough to clear your illness then the rest get immunity. its an ongoing problem that you are all guilty of. not news to some of the professionals, or any of them , but can they speak out for fear of loseing there jobs, no. it started in hospitals first because of the sterile conditions. scueeky clean is ideal for a new bacterior. stand by for your comeupance. while im at it. your body uses a very small amount of the drugs you ingest, the rest, via your urinary tract, its all in the ocean. ever wondered why to many animals are hermohpodized in the sea. time will tell . ok you may think its sh1t but try thinking for yourselfs. rant not over because the authorities no this and do nothing about it.may your god look over you. thats a piss take by the way. just to lighten it up.

Aloha

amen to that

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd add a little more information that I've learnt since my last post. It's PVL positive (the full name, apart from the strain number, is Panton-Valentine Leucocidin-Positive Community-Acquired Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus).

The PVL part means that it produces a poison which kills white blood cells (leucocytes) so is quite dangerous if left unchecked. The highest risk seems to be if it leads to necrotising pneumonia.

I'll post more as I find out more. I'm told I'm not out of the woods yet, but at least I don't feel quite as dreadful as I did a week ago.

MRSA is a far too common nonsocomial (hospital acquired) infection that has been around since before and throughout my 15 year long career as a nurse. 33%-50% of all of the wound cultures I did were positive for MRSA infection. MRSA is treated with a course of specific antibiotics after culture and sensitivity reports are obtained and as a last resort IV Vancomycin has been used for many years and MRSA remains very treatable.

The main problem is from the time that children are born, every sniffle, every cough, and it's off to hospital and parents demand antibiotics. Most of the time when you get "sick" it is from a viral infection, and antibiotics do absolutely nothing, except make the natural bacterial flora antibiotic resistant.

The other problem is when a patient has a legitimate bacterial infection, the doctor will proscribe a course of antibiotics with specific instructions for frequency and number of days, and the patient feels better and does not complete their medication.

As for the exponentially higher rates of transmission of MRSA through anal intercourse, the whole thing sounds really fishy to me. Yes, unprotected sex and sex with multiple partners exposes you to higher rates of infection OF ALL KINDS. To focus on MRSA only would be a mistake. Safe sex practices should be used regardless. HIV/AIDS, hepatitis A, B, C, and the full myriad of STDs should have already encouraged all people to practice safe sex and avoid IV drug use.

The really scary thing is that staphylococcus aureus has now become resistant to Vancomycin: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_visavrsa.html

If you want to worry about staph infection worry about VISA/VRSA. IV Vancomycin has been the last line of defense in the treatment in the treatment of MRSA and now staph is becoming resistant to that. :o

It's not about being Gay/Straight/Bi/Transgendered it is about common sense. Simple things like hand washing and washing after sexual intercourse, using prophylactics, monogamy, and taking antibiotics only when they are necessary will prevent the vast majority of new cases. Fear mongering doesn't help anyone.

GunnyD

As a few people said,safe sex is very important,both hetro and gay.also women have to be very careful of their one night stands or short term sex partner due to the one person who has not been mentioned and will infect men and women.

THE BISEXUAL GUY.

THIS IS THE PERSON WHO CAN CONTAMINATE A MALE AND FEMALE.THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COST BY WOMEN.