Need A Genius Electrician To Rescue My Kids' Nintendo Wii

cmsoulbrother

If anyone knows of a great computer or video game electrician...I am deeply in need.

I plugged my children's North American purchased Nintendo wii into an old 220-110 converter, and there was a flash - and the Nintendo is no more.

The power no longer comes on, and i have obviously fried the innards somewhere along the way. AT best, the currency overload may have only broken the ac-dc adapter, but I'm pretty sure in the instant before I unplugged it, I saw bad lights emanating from the machine itself.

I don't know if it's fixable (they don't sell this Nintendo product in Thailand) but it's definitely worth a try. What I am afraid of however, is taking it in to a random computer technician, or electrician, and having them poke around in it, and make what may have been fixable originally, broken for good. I'm looking for someone good, who knows computers/video game machines, and who can make a good diagnosis without (hopefully) mucking around in it too much.

There may be no hope - but I am in the dog house to be sure around here, and if I could save the day it would make things a whole lot better for me at home!

Any suggestions would be very very welcome.

Thanks

If anyone knows of a great computer or video game electrician...I am deeply in need.

I plugged my children's North American purchased Nintendo wii into an old 220-110 converter, and there was a flash - and the Nintendo is no more.

The power no longer comes on, and i have obviously fried the innards somewhere along the way. AT best, the currency overload may have only broken the ac-dc adapter, but I'm pretty sure in the instant before I unplugged it, I saw bad lights emanating from the machine itself.

I don't know if it's fixable (they don't sell this Nintendo product in Thailand) but it's definitely worth a try. What I am afraid of however, is taking it in to a random computer technician, or electrician, and having them poke around in it, and make what may have been fixable originally, broken for good. I'm looking for someone good, who knows computers/video game machines, and who can make a good diagnosis without (hopefully) mucking around in it too much.

There may be no hope - but I am in the dog house to be sure around here, and if I could save the day it would make things a whole lot better for me at home!

Thanks

In the basement of Airport Plaza, nearby Tops supermarket there are some little clothes shops. There are some small stalls in the corridor between the clothes shops. One of those stalls has a paper notice advertising somebody who fixes playstations. He speaks very good english and did a good job on our ps2. I don't know whether he fixes wiis but it may be worth a try if you are in the area.

Thanks

Oddly enough, my girlfriend's father did the exact same thing with my Wii from the US!.. We believe that it was just the power adapter that burnt and not the actual Wii unit itself. There is a shop at Kad Suen Kaew that sells replacement Wii power adapters (220V). I think the price was 700 or 800 THB. The guy speaks pretty good English as well. He also sells copied Wii games there. The Wii needs to be "modified" to be able to play the games tho. He said that I could either have him do it for me (by sending it down to Pantip in BKK) or I could take it down there myself. He indicated that there were alot of shops in Pantip-BKK that are working on Wii's now. Could be an option of you.

Hope this helps,

Mestizo

Mestizo, that's exactly what it was!

On Steve's suggestion, I took it into Central Airport. The shop that he had mentioned seems to have since closed down, but I found a shop selling wii's near the upstairs food court, and they knew exactly what had happened, and sold me a new ac-dc adapter for the one I had blown. They also mentioned that they could modify the wii so it could play the copied games they had for sale, and they mentioned 2500 as the price for this modification. It seemed as though they did it here, but I did not question them much on it.

I am pretty sure my kids would be speaking to me again - if only I could get their attention away from the screen long enough to find out!

Thanks to all who helped out!

DON'T goto Robinson!

They charged me a good amount of $ just for the Thai adapter and the shop near the movie theater quoted 3500 to chip it.

Goto Kad Suan kaow and goto the third floor, go off to the music store area and there there is an italian guy who runs a shop with his thai wife. They are MUCH cheaper and I have gotten things for my PS2, DS, and wii here. I was told 1500B for the chip, I plan to bring it there next week.

Edited by BlackArtemis

DON'T goto Robinson!

They charged me a good amount of $ just for the Thai adapter and the shop near the movie theater quoted 3500 to chip it.

Goto Kad Suan kaow and goto the third floor, go off to the music store area and there there is an italian guy who runs a shop with his thai wife. They are MUCH cheaper and I have gotten things for my PS2, DS, and wii here. I was told 1500B for the chip, I plan to bring it there next week.

AH! Yeah, I believe it was the italian guy that I spoke with as well.. I'm pretty sure that he told me that to chip it, he sends it down to Pantip in BKK.

-Mestizo

you guys talking about chips - i presume your using US machines that need a mod to enable them to play copied games.

I bought a Jap one in China early last year for 10k thinking they'd soon be able to hack it into English, but apparently not. It worked fine for most things when i had the chance to play, but some of the other games i started looking at needed to be the US machine to avoid it becoming locked down and hence a wii brick. So i sold it.

When i looked again before Christmas, US machines were around the 25k mark here - anyone know when Nintendo will be releasing a new batch onto the market??

Not a clue :o Mine was a wedding present from my best man which I brought back in October.

Might be cheaper to import one even.. $250 even with a 40% tax it would be cheaper.

Wii's are still very very difficult to find in the US (at least they were up until I left in late November).. However, I had a chat with an American couple when I was flying back from Singapore last month. They were carrying 2 brand new Wii's with then. They were on their way back from Sydney and said that there were tons of Wii's available all over the place down there. Might be easier (and cheaper) to get one from there.

-Mestizo