Rowing Machine Purchase?

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

Have recently been thinking about getting a rowing machine. I walk for aerobic exercise, typically 5 times a week for about one too two hours. My problem is that I'm starting to develop a hunch back and need to do some exercise for my back and shoulders as well as get in some aerobic exercise. I thought I could accomplish both with a rowing machine. Unfortunately I don't know much about them, for starters is it a good exercise for the time spent? Is the resistance adjustable so as you get better you can make it harder? I know there are about three different kinds, air, water and hydraulic resistance. Which is the best all around? What do you look for and more importantly where do you find them to purchase? Are they expensive? :D

I would be eternally greatful for any assistance in this as I'm starting to look like a old man. And I'm a mere 74 just mature middle age. :o

Have recently been thinking about getting a rowing machine. I walk for aerobic exercise, typically 5 times a week for about one too two hours. My problem is that I'm starting to develop a hunch back and need to do some exercise for my back and shoulders as well as get in some aerobic exercise. I thought I could accomplish both with a rowing machine. Unfortunately I don't know much about them, for starters is it a good exercise for the time spent? Is the resistance adjustable so as you get better you can make it harder? I know there are about three different kinds, air, water and hydraulic resistance. Which is the best all around? What do you look for and more importantly where do you find them to purchase? Are they expensive? :D

I would be eternally greatful for any assistance in this as I'm starting to look like a old man. And I'm a mere 74 just mature middle age. :o

Agree with others rowing machines are boring. Get a Swiss ball - the large blue inflatable one. They are much cheaper, more portable, have a much greater range of exercises, and incredibly good for the lower back, which will help your posture. Regrettably the change in the back shape probably has to do with the ageing process as you no doubt know. But you sound fairly fit, so I would focus on maintaining flexibility in the whole system. Perhaps also find a well QUALIFIED Thai masseuse, as when done properly, the whole basis of Thai massage is to start at the centre of the body and work in both directions away from that point in your lower back. Good luck. Tim

They are good for aerobic exercise.They will build muscle only to a certain point.You can adjust the resistance (wind based).

Be sure to get your technique right..I see so many people in gyms using the rowing machine incorrectly and they are 1) just wasting there time 2) risking injury 3) in 5 minutes of correct technique could get the same benefits as 30 mins of incorrect technique.

Likewise for many other apparatus in the gym.

I have a decent rowing machine and I do use it but I find it very very BORING and also technically harder to use properly than bikes. If you already have lower back pain, I would say do not buy a rower. My favorite machines are the elliptical machines but good ones are super expensive here. Even though I am OK with my rower, because it is so boring and a bit hard to use, I use it less often than I would like. I would only recommend rowing machines to people who have actually done REAL rowing and know that they like it and can do it well.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for all the responses. After reading them I think it is probable not a good piece of equipment to spend the money on. The ball sounds like a inexpensive way to go and easy to store out of the way. I may give that a try before I jump into expensive equipment that I know little about. And I agree if it is boring it is not apt to be used much.

Thanks

BEEN THERE :o:D

The best for me so far is a bicycle and a trainer. Terrific for a workout while I watch news, sports, or movies. No worries about rain or traffic. And you could always actually take the bike off the trainer and ride it outside! As for arms, abs, and back, just get on of those door-frame pull-up bars.