Pattaya Is Changing

edh

When was Pattaya Best?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last night was pretty good :o

You sound the same as my parents, when they were children all around where there are now houses, were fields, and nobody locked their doors.

Times change, get used to it, or get left behind.

I'm used to it, doesn't mean I have to like it.

cheers

onzestan

Last night was pretty good :D

You sound the same as my parents, when they were children all around where there are now houses, were fields, and nobody locked their doors.

Times change, get used to it, or get left behind.

I am certainly adapting to the changes.

Just wanted to see what time period other members liked most.

I had a lot of fun last night - paying for it today.... :o

Pattaya is changing from being just a small party city by the sea to a hectic, traffic congested, polluted, stressful, dangerous and very rough city.

What period of time did you enjoy Pattaya City the most?

Mid - Late 70's ... Only three major Hotels. 4 - 5 drive to Bangkok over a goat track.

Mid - Late 80's ... Lots of Hotels ... 3-4 hours drive to Bangkok and then another 2 hours to the Airport !

(remember the urine bags you could buy in the taxi's)

Now ... It's just fine ... 2 hours over so so roads ... But why no opinion from the OP ?.

Naka.

Edited by naka

I think it's getting better and better. More opportunities, more and better infrastructure, malls, schools, hospitals, easier to get whatever you want. I agree with sweetchariot for a change and think the OP sound like an old nostalgic. If you like Pattaya in the seventies I'm sure you can find plenty of places like it down the coastline - if necessary into Cambodia.

I think it's getting better and better. More opportunities, more and better infrastructure, malls, schools, hospitals, easier to get whatever you want. I agree with sweetchariot for a change and think the OP sound like an old nostalgic. If you like Pattaya in the seventies I'm sure you can find plenty of places like it down the coastline - if necessary into Cambodia.

Right on Phil.

In the 70's Thailand had the most expensive beer in SEA, like Bt25 for a small Singha ... say Bt 300 in todays money.

That was much more than even Singapore.

No Milk, No Cheese, No Bread, No Ice Cream, No Bakery Goods.

I like the 21'st century. :o

Naka.

I seriously still like it alot.

But I'm getting somehat worried that the infrastructure of the city is collapsing.

There are huge condos, malls etc. being built but with existing roads which can't take the load of traffic into these new built areas.

There should be more careful planning I think before any multiplexes are being built.

Liked the 90's very much and still like it very much but the traffic congestions are getting mad nowadays.

Thanks for all inputs - interesting :o

Edh

Pattaya is changing from being just a small party city by the sea to a hectic, traffic congested, polluted, stressful, dangerous and very rough city.

What period of time did you enjoy Pattaya City the most?

Mid - Late 70's ... Only three major Hotels. 4 - 5 drive to Bangkok over a goat track.

Mid - Late 80's ... Lots of Hotels ... 3-4 hours drive to Bangkok and then another 2 hours to the Airport !

(remember the urine bags you could buy in the taxi's)

Now ... It's just fine ... 2 hours over so so roads ... But why no opinion from the OP ?.

Naka.

Pattaya is just a greedy city, anyone who wants to spend money is welcome to "cowboy" town, it's a money making slum in most area's, drive around now in the dry season and notice that every piece of land that has neither a shophouse or a bar built on it is utilised as a rubbish dump! Driving is a nightmare! not sure if the trucks, motor bike & sidecars or baht buses rule the road, with the added bonus that no matter the facts of the accident, you will be blamed!

The "law", as is city hall - is just a joke - if theres no money in it - there will be no action, infrastructure is ten years behind what it should be, the money that is available is siphoned of to ??? where?

Too many Koreans on the golf courses!

Apart from that it's ok, some of the best bars and restaurants - for the money - in the world!

Its got zero "class" though - is there a nice building or area, apart from residential!

:o

Pattaya is just a greedy city, anyone who wants to spend money is welcome to "cowboy" town, it's a money making slum in most area's, drive around now in the dry season and notice that every piece of land that has neither a shophouse or a bar built on it is utilised as a rubbish dump! Driving is a nightmare! not sure if the trucks, motor bike & sidecars or baht buses rule the road, with the added bonus that no matter the facts of the accident, you will be blamed!

The "law", as is city hall - is just a joke - if theres no money in it - there will be no action, infrastructure is ten years behind what it should be, the money that is available is siphoned of to ??? where?

Too many Koreans on the golf courses!

Apart from that it's ok, some of the best bars and restaurants - for the money - in the world!

Its got zero "class" though - is there a nice building or area, apart from residential!

:o

and the point of that post is?

infrastructure is ten years behind what it should be, the money that is available is siphoned of to ??? where?

I agree. I've visited some beach resorts preferred by Thais recently and they're way ahead of Pattaya in terms of infrastructure. In Pattaya, Asia's premier beach resort, you would have thought they would have come up with a way of letting pedestrians get from one side of the busy roads to the other without risking life and limb. How about some more bridges or pedestrian subways? Pattaya's infrastructure is low on everyone's list of priorities it seems. The powers that be prefer to spend the money on boring, half-empy little resorts that Bangkokians visit for the weekend.

Edited by edwardandtubs

I agree with sweetchariot for a change

Wow :o

For all you guys yearning for the 70's, I am afraid I was only born in '72 so did not do all the hiipy shit stuff.

How has your hometown changed in the last 30, 20 or even 10 years? Is everything better? Or are you still thinking about the days when you did'nt have to lock your doors, and were surrounded by green fields?

OK, I think 90% or more of us came here for an easy life, to get away from being over-taxed, over-charged, and generally dictated to on each and every facet of our lives.

How many of you have contributed 1 baht to the tax system in LOS? Okay, Okay, I know some people are working here and contributing a few thousand per month, but the vast majority are not. If you would like to go back to your home country and contribute a few thousand £, $, or Euro, then you will get lovely roads, (semi) competent local government, and a degree of regulation as regards building etc.

If however, as me, you would like to not be dictated to, not pay much tax, not overpay for your social life (beer and food), pay half as much for petrol than the UK (probably expensive for you Americans), etc........etc........etc. If these are your preferences then you have no right to expect, nor demand, things being done 'the way they do it back home'.

Relax. I enjoy every day laughing about how they have f"cked up this, that, or the other. You will never change it in your lifetime so just go with the flow.

Rant concluded.

Swing low...............

I think Pattaya is a unique place on the planet. The more extreme it gets, the bigger and brasher and dirtier and crazier it gets, the better.

Pattaya has never been better at being Pattaya than it is today.

If you want a nice beach and nice hotel and nice infrastructure there are a 1000 places around the world you can go.

If you want the craziest sex city in the world then Pattaya is the place.

May it ever get bigger and crazier and more chaotic.

If they get a handle on managing Pattaya then Pattaya will be lost to the world as a unique spot on the planet

a unique place on the planet?

the only city in the world which is one big open brothel is something for thais to be proud of?

it looks and smells and is a toilet.

just glad most thais never leave thailand or they would hear what the rest of the world thinks of them and their country.

a unique spot on the planet-for the world's cheapest hookers and ugliest johns.

I think it's getting better and better. More opportunities, more and better infrastructure, malls, schools, hospitals, easier to get whatever you want.

:o Yep, that's about right. I will however always have fond memories of when I first came here 1999 - it seems that was the best time for me personally but I realise that it's just because it was my first time and it was all new back then. I was here as a tourist rather than expat which makes a big difference. Am I correct in saying that everyone remembers their first time? There are some things that have been bulldozed (that I shall miss) to make way for 'progress' it has to be said, but overall I think that the present is pretty good. Weheey it's Friday!

Come now, don't be so hard on yourself.

Only joking, welcome to ThaiVisa. :o You don't have to be insane to post here but if you do you soon will be.

If the voting tends to reflect your start date with the place the majority of voters are relative newcomers to Pattaya. I arrived '92 when Pattaya was still a wild wild place but definately prefer it back then mainly for the, relative, lack of traffic. The other reason is that back then I was a hansom or sexy man now I am leung or papa. :D

Nostalgia aint what it used to be.

Yeah sure there is a bit more infrastructure now but nowhere near enough to support the towns expansion. There is also the availability of western goods and services. Back then there was no Maccy Dees, KFC, Pizza Hut, Starsh1te etc etc and I never even noticed until they infested the place - a backward step IMO. One advance I did appreciate was the first "multiplex" cinema, a whole two screens at RGP. Previously there was only, I think, two cinemas showing only Thai films. The improved roads to Bangkok has taken out the lottery of getting to the airport and the new airport has improved that even more.

The other down side to the towns advance is the increased violence. This is, by popular belief, due to the availability of cheaper air fares. But there were just as many ho chasing drunken bums then but almost no violence. I suppose the ho chasing drunken bums are just from a lower class these days. The town has become a mecca for lowlife Thai crooks which does its image no good but the majority of their crime is against fellow Thais.

There were no Russians in town back then and the expat community seemed to comprise Brits, Germans, Scandinavians, Europeans, Aussies, Kiwis and Americans and everyone got on, with the usual p1ss taking banter of course.

Right on Phil.

In the 70's Thailand had the most expensive beer in SEA, like Bt25 for a small Singha ... say Bt 300 in todays money.

That was much more than even Singapore.

No Milk, No Cheese, No Bread, No Ice Cream, No Bakery Goods.

I like the 21'st century. :o

Naka.

And trying to find a Xmas meal! Impossible.

But the green fields and little traffic and unpolluted air were great. And Dongtan beach all to myself all day long! Those were the days. And hi-rise condominiums following the law and built 200 metres back from the seashore!

Come now, don't be so hard on yourself.

Only joking, welcome to ThaiVisa. :o You don't have to be insane to post here but if you do you soon will be.

If the voting tends to reflect your start date with the place the majority of voters are relative newcomers to Pattaya. I arrived '92 when Pattaya was still a wild wild place but definately prefer it back then mainly for the, relative, lack of traffic. The other reason is that back then I was a hansom or sexy man now I am leung or papa. :D

Nostalgia aint what it used to be.

Yeah sure there is a bit more infrastructure now but nowhere near enough to support the towns expansion. There is also the availability of western goods and services. Back then there was no Maccy Dees, KFC, Pizza Hut, Starsh1te etc etc and I never even noticed until they infested the place - a backward step IMO. One advance I did appreciate was the first "multiplex" cinema, a whole two screens at RGP. Previously there was only, I think, two cinemas showing only Thai films. The improved roads to Bangkok has taken out the lottery of getting to the airport and the new airport has improved that even more.

The other down side to the towns advance is the increased violence. This is, by popular belief, due to the availability of cheaper air fares. But there were just as many ho chasing drunken bums then but almost no violence. I suppose the ho chasing drunken bums are just from a lower class these days. The town has become a mecca for lowlife Thai crooks which does its image no good but the majority of their crime is against fellow Thais.

There were no Russians in town back then and the expat community seemed to comprise Brits, Germans, Scandinavians, Europeans, Aussies, Kiwis and Americans and everyone got on, with the usual p1ss taking banter of course.

I arrived about the same time you did but I've never lived in Pattaya so I don't pay attention to its changes and never feel that anything's been lost as there a lot of changes each time I come. For me Pattaya is a weekend party town for trips from Bangkok and there's more and more of Pattaya each time I come which is a good thing.

However, I do feel that Chiang Mai in 1992/3 was its best ever time as that's the time I first lived there and when I was also very handsome!

Bangkok is where I've lived mostly and the changes are so overwhelmingly for the better, I don't think there's any dispute that Bangkok is a far superior city to what it was in the early 90s. Although I'm sure the 80s and 70s would stake a claim for it being better before it was heavily developed at all.

a unique place on the planet?

the only city in the world which is one big open brothel is something for thais to be proud of?

it looks and smells and is a toilet.

just glad most thais never leave thailand or they would hear what the rest of the world thinks of them and their country.

Jeez dude! So when are you moving to Switzerland?

Pattaya is getting better every day.

IMO getting worse everyday. More tourists, more condos and malls, more ridiculous street performers on walking, more hip hop venues, higher prices, stronger baht, more tourist police, more tourist families, more pollution, etc.