Farang Affairs Pictorial No 15

george

Another book to avoid is called "Road Rash" written by a guy who claims to have taught tourism in Ayuthaya. It is the biggest wad of toilet papaer I have ever attempted to read.........dont put yourselves through it if yo ucan avoid it......I lasted about two pages before skimming the rest to discover that the whol ebook was crap. Thi sguy claims to be 'anit guidebook'........he describes how he would travel by just arriving somewhere and then working out what to do. He was so stupid he was always out of money and would end up scamming it from someone else.........so in other words he is one of those shocker backpacker types who bludges off those around him. Scum of the road !!

Some one just deleted my previous post! I wrote =

------------------------------

And that must be the worst edition of Farang Affairs so far! :o

What started as a good thing (few early editions) has plummeted to the depths of non-effort literature. :D

-------------------------------

Is there something wrong with the above? Or are there new censorship laws on this forum that I should be aware of?

Peace,

Sphere

Tend to agree. It wasn't their best efforts.

I've really enjoyed some of their prior humor. Some of the captions with crime re-enactments have been hilarious! But then, as a westerner the whole idea of the accused showing up at the crime scene and walking through the event seems very foreign.

Hope they go back to the prior format.

WISteve

IMHO,he best two books written* on Thai ceremonies,festivals,beliefs and other insights into Thai culture and its people are:

Thai Ways~Dennis Segaller

More Thai Ways,by the same author.

*Actually a collection of his writings that appeared in his weekly column from the no longer available 'Bangkok World' (1975-1985) .The articles were updated in the 1998 editions that I own.

Jai Yen: Cool heart. Caution. Somewhere between hot heart and cold heart

:D

I can't really believe he was serious. Was he? :D:o

I actually want to buy the book now just to see this k-rap. You're not his agent are you? :D

Keep 'em coming Phil, you've still got fans.

I had good fun reading the comments, he simply cant be serious :D

Anyway, I just found a review for this book.....and I cant believe it! :o

Living Thai Ways

by H. Michael Keller Date Added: Thursday 09 September, 2004

THE NATION - aUGUST 20, 2004

BookMarks by Manote Tripathi

If you are new to Bangkok or have lived here for awhile but still are bewildered by Thai ways, then look no further for enlightenment. This book packs in the essentials--and will thus make any stay in Thailand more enjoyable.

Based on his experience of living and travelling here, Keller lays down strategies for would-be expats planning short and long-term stays in the Kingdom.

First, the author introduces the culture shocks that are likely to be faced by first-time visitors--from Thai-style toilets to elephants roaming the streets to rattling water pipes.

To the author, Thai culture, while wonderfully enigmatic and puzzling, is shaped by its people's love of sanook. This explains, according to the author, why Thais in general don't take things seriously; don't think about tomorrow, and prefer to enjoy the moment of every day. "Sanook is the powerful source that governs the psyche of the Thai people," he says.

Besides his take on Thai culture, the author offers tips on finding a home, and insights into Thai holidays, traditions, and local ways of living in different parts of the country.

Studying "life on the soi" is a necessary step to take for many expats. But don't expect to get everything you want in Thasiland. Pack your graham crackers, for example, before leaving your home country.

Rating: [5 of 5 Stars!]

Would people who are quick to zero in with criticism of certain snippets in a certain edition or certain editions of Farang Afffairs please note the following.

The original concept of farang affairs was simply an adjunct to the column of the same name I do for the Nation in its Expat Page and was for readers upcountry and overseas who access it on The Nation's website and therefore did not get pics, cartoons and other graphics in the column. It found its way onto Thaivisa more by fortune than intention.

Farang affairs is put out each week by one guy (no "theys" in this gig WIsteve)trying something a little different. I don't get paid for doing it. You have probably noticed that you are not charged for it, nor, I would guess, does anyone hold a gun to your head and tell you to read it.

Take it for what it is, a FREE weekly sheet of nonsense that sometimes shines and sometimes bombs. Why should you care enough to waste your time criticising it? It pretends no standards, so stop setting them, and either stop whining about it or stop reading it - ingrates. Jeez.

PS Thank you Orion for your encouraging words. You are obviously a good fellow.

VISA RUN TO LAOS

And thank you Mr Wolf5370, you are also a man of character and taste

Crazy Keller's visa trip to Laos was my favourite chapter. It is a total fabrication. He paints Laos as a Brezhnev-era Soviet sattelite state. The best part is when he starts slagging off the author of the travel book on Laos he is carrying around for getting it all wrong! That nearly convinced me that the book was a piss-take. He are a few Lao gems...

As I approached the gateway to Laos, armed guards eyed my every move ... Abruptly, one officer saluted and proclaimed “People’s Revoluntary Party welcomes you Laos!” His cohort lazily swung open the creaking iron gate to let me pass ...

In a restaurant in Vientiane:

“OK. I’ll have a beer and a cheeseburger.”

“Ah, no chizzeburger. Food finish. Come back back next week. Maybe have food.”

Changing US$50 to kip:

I stared in shocked when she [the bank teller] shoved two foot-high stacks of Laos kip toward me. . .I went back to my room and stuffed the bills in my backback.

Well EXCUSE ME!

I hardly think I was HARSH in anyway! I was stating my honest opinion in a respectful manner I thought. And I also lauded the captioned crime reports which I think are hilarious, actually.

Seems feedback is always appreciated...if it's positive?

WISteve

To begin with, I think you farangs are full of shit..... :o As an Asian, I think most of you have no idea what is our culture is all about. Just because you have a few dimes in your pocket, you think you can do what you want, say what you want. What do you all know about Aisa. Doesn't mean you live and work for a couple of years in any of the asian country can place you in a better position to understand our culture. Alot of you just come here and do whatever you please and assume that being a farang you are look upon by us. To be frank, alot of us don't want you to be here.

Troll, of course you don't want us living in LoS. Bigotted <deleted> like you wouldn't. We all had morons in our own countries too.

Of course, Thailand is Thailand because of the foreign visitors. Your celebrated food exists because it was brought from China, India and South America by foreigners. The Portugese brought you your chilli. The Indo-China trade route brought you everything else. Your system of goverment came from the west. Your elite are schooled in the US or Europe. Your country lives by the export and tourism we bring. Your technology was invented in the west. Thailand has invented diddly. If it was not for the west, and its technology and trade, you would have no Klongs, no telecoms, no computers, no industry, no rice.

Face it genius, like every other country in the world, Thailand owes its exisitance, its culture and what it is from the influence of its firend, neighbours and even enermies abroad. We are a global community complete with family squables, the odd punch up, sibling rivalry etc, and also all the good things that come from a sybiotic reltionship. The sharing of technology and ideas through trade and diplomacy. The hand of help when in need - you may have paid the IMF back, but it was there when you needed it was it not.

We are here because we love the country (most of us anyway). We have thrown of the ethos of yester-year. We don't march in and take what we want anymore. We don't rape countries of their commodities by conquering and adding to our empires. Imperialism makes no sense in a modern world. Better to be friends, a world community. So throw off you nationalistic self importance before you end up completely isolated.

Troll, of course you don't want us living in LoS. Bigotted <deleted> like you wouldn't. We all had morons in our own countries too.

Of course, Thailand is Thailand because of the foreign visitors. Your celebrated food exists because it was brought from China, India and South America by foreigners. The Portugese brought you your chilli. The Indo-China trade route brought you everything else. Your system of goverment came from the west. Your elite are schooled in the US or Europe. Your country lives by the export and tourism we bring. Your technology was invented in the west. Thailand has invented diddly. If it was not for the west, and its technology and trade, you would have no Klongs, no telecoms, no computers, no industry, no rice.

Face it genius, like every other country in the world, Thailand owes its exisitance, its culture and what it is from the influence of its firend, neighbours and even enermies abroad. We are a global community complete with family squables, the odd punch up, sibling rivalry etc, and also all the good things that come from a sybiotic reltionship. The sharing of technology and ideas through trade and diplomacy. The hand of help when in need - you may have paid the IMF back, but it was there when you needed it was it not.

We are here because we love the country (most of us anyway). We have thrown of the ethos of yester-year. We don't march in and take what we want anymore. We don't rape countries of their commodities by conquering and adding to our empires. Imperialism makes no sense in a modern world. Better to be friends, a world community. So throw off you nationalistic self importance before you end up completely isolated.

Troll indeed... And Iraq was the result of? :o

Strange for a journalist not accept criticism. Bullshite is bullshite - even when dished out free!

How about the 5 star review in your own paper for the same book! Was it written from a template?

Journalists write for money and surely you're hoping that sooner rather than later you could include advertising in your periodical! Isnt that why you inserted it on Thai Visa?

And yes, if you dont like critical comments - dont read them.

Peace

Sphere

Message to ctlyano:

I come from a state that is literally overrun with Asians..... Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Cambodian and so on and so on! I am sure you would be one of them too if you could afford it. Its a good thing my countrymen don't feel the way you do, huh? :o