Bangkok Traffic

Darth Bangkok

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is something that would help relieve traffic a bit.

If you could reduced the number of buses on the

roads in the central areas, traffic would ease somewhat

since buses stop so often blocking traffic flow.

In the US, there is a company called NextBus (www.nextbus.com).

They install GPS receivers that track the buses and predict

when the bus will arrive at every stop. A sign at each stop,

or internet or cell phone access, allows the passenger to know

exactly when their next bus will arrive.

So passenger satisfaction is met by information rather

than having the many expensive buses reduce bus arrival

intervals.

Move information rather than move buses to

achieve the same result.

The technology pays for itself in less than a year.

Maybe someone should make Taksin aware of this

technolgy driven solution.

:o

that's the same report referred to earlier in this post. so what is your point? not only is the infrastructure severely lacking, people do not follow the rules of the road, and people live their lives smashed up against superhighways rather than developing the interior portions of Bangkok's huge 'blocks' to their full potential.

Are you some kind of civil engineering expert? let us in on your thoughts.

Odd to me that you folks prefer to natter on with your uninformed, amateurish opinions even when referred to a professional study of the traffic problem in BKK here:

http://www.agenda21.ee/english/transport/autodependence.pdf

So, what am I to conclude about the intellectual quality of farangs living in LOS?

Khun Pad Thai

I'm sorry if you think that ignoring a survey that suggests walking in Bangkok as a good way of getting around is stupid..., but that suggestion is bloody stupid, and shows that the authors simply looked at population density, and took no notice of climate...

Bangkok is the capital city with the highest average temperature in the world. (Yes - average temp. in Bangkok is higher than Riyadh, capital of Saudi Arabia - which is built in the middle of a desert...) You will never get the same proportion of people walking in Bangkok as you will in Tokyo, simply because people walking in Tokyo aren't sweating after 10 minutes because Tokyo's climate is suitable for walking in. And although it does get a little cooler in the evening, you then have mosquitoes to contend with (and you don't get those in Tokyo either).

The main problem in Bangkok is the lack of public transport (other than buses). - and when given the option of driving or taking a bus, the bus will always be slower, because it will be stuck in the same traffic jam (and as it has to follow it's route - it can't take a detour to avoid the worst jams), while in a car, you have air-con, and can listen to the music you want to listen to...

Things will improve when the metro/skytrain are extended beyond the centre, so that it could actually be used to commute. I use them at the moment, but I have to drive in to get to them...

I think the biggest traffic problems are

People driving without learning highway code and without a driving licence

(drivers are not trained and discipline enough)

Design of the roads and poor, dont know who designed the roads here

U turns can be on the right and left , no standards, even for people who have been driving here for yrs dont know where is the U turn

Also U turns can be so far away, wasteing petrol 5 km away for U turn

but just syncronising some of the traffic lights might help with the problem.

Is there any other country in the world where a traffic light can stay red for 15 minutes and green for 15 seconds?

Do that at a few intersections and you will have the heaviest traffic jam ever.

Maybe the traffic police likes traffic jams... :o

• 4 years later...

The title of this thread is

"Bangkok Traffic - what makes it worse ..

How about the decision by "police" LOL (ah what a concept) diverting traffic from Petchburi Rd. going West toward Pantip Plaza. These "brilliant people" send us in a 4 block semi circle to then go back onto Petchburi Rd. There appears to be NO reason. The traffic is sometimes allowed and sometimes not allowed. This decision send the traffic to all small soi's etc hoping to continue onto Petchburi without an hour + delay to go 4 city blocks forward. GEEZE I'll tell you. This just seems so ?????? I won't say it.

Can anyone make some sense out of this for me???

Thanks,

I like the solution that the Transport Minister came up with circa 1997. Stop the sale of all new cars!!

Seoul now has that 'outside lane' bus lane system and it is accompanied by pedestrian crossings with lights to enable passengers to get to and from the middle of the road.

I think that would only cause more problems in Bangkok with more lights for the traffic police to override.

One of the biggest problems, in my opinion, is illegal parking. In effect, every Thai street's efficiency is reduced by one lane in each direction because of people who park in or otherwise block the curbside lane.

I agree with you on illegal parking being a big contributor to this mess, but then where else are people going to park? There are no public parking lots situated in the city than I can think of. If someone wants to stop at a market or a roadside shop, the only place to park is on the road.

One of the biggest problems, in my opinion, is illegal parking. In effect, every Thai street's efficiency is reduced by one lane in each direction because of people who park in or otherwise block the curbside lane.

I agree with you on illegal parking being a big contributor to this mess, but then where else are people going to park? There are no public parking lots situated in the city than I can think of. If someone wants to stop at a market or a roadside shop, the only place to park is on the road.

Japan has a rule : you can buy a car only if you have a parking spot. Tokyo, Osaka, nagoya, country side, everywhere. No dealer will sell you a car without that document. That's a law.

I had to go to the city council to get that proof.

No parking, no problem. For about 700US$ a month (Tokyo) or 100$ (countryside) you can rent one and present the contract to the dealership.

Still, traffic jams are not uncommon, but no chaos. What would it be like without the "parking = car purchase right" rule?

That is all before one can attempt to get a cheap or easy loan to buy/lease a vehicle, as it is widespread in Thailand. Thai buildings with "scramble parking, not tied with a condo" would not work in Japan when it comes to car purchase.

Pure and simple there are no rat runs through the side streets to take traffic off the main roads.

its interesting this thread started over 5 years ago, what improvements have we had since?

A big fat zero, nothing and nowt.

extension of bts which is welcome and the underground forgot about them...

Pure and simple there are no rat runs through the side streets to take traffic off the main roads.

its interesting this thread started over 5 years ago, what improvements have we had since?

A big fat zero, nothing and nowt.

extension of bts which is welcome and the underground forgot about them...

Haha, that could be it. People just got encouraged to drive more - as many others (supposedly) would give up their cars and use BTS .

That was the idea. That hase never and will never work in BKK.

Has anyone else seen that map with possible

new subways lines: STS, BTS whathaveyou lines?

I saw one with about 10 in addition to the two we have now.

Seoul has about 10, and needs them all.

If you look at the geometry of the city you can see why there

are so many bottlenecks. Victory monument has arteries going in many directions,

like to Dusit. This is often blocked. A subway line down that way would

be a godsend.

So what is needed is a stable government and lots of money to build these

new lines :)

I think that two big causes are traffic lights being red for way too long, if they decrease the intervals a little you wouldn't have such a big pileup of cars that it causes problems at the next intersections. Secondly, people driving very slow (even when the road ahead is clear) and pulling up slow at traffic lights and people hesitating at u-turns for a few minutes before eventually going is I think a major cause as well.

I think that two big causes are traffic lights being red for way too long, if they decrease the intervals a little you wouldn't have such a big pileup of cars that it causes problems at the next intersections. Secondly, people driving very slow (even when the road ahead is clear) and pulling up slow at traffic lights and people hesitating at u-turns for a few minutes before eventually going is I think a major cause as well.

too many cars and too many cars

I wonder if perhaps the police want to operate the traffic lights merely to justify their existence? They operate traffic signals to suit ???? possibly their whims. At Petchburi and Thonglor the “traffic guards” let Petchburi have the green for 20 minutes then let Thonglor go for about 1.5 minutes. This is a fact. I’ve got to run from one side of the street and barely make it to the other before the “overseers” change it back. Oh and they sit there and ignore people who ignore the signals. I don’t know how many times I was almost hit by a car that couldn’t be bothered waiting that longggggggggg 1..5 minutes. Is there such a thing as consequences in this country? Also if police are directing traffic on Thonglor..... oh my you can BET the traffic is much worse than when the crossing guards are ???? off somewhere.

LOL - I've waited for buses and often a bus is in the "passing lane" goin like a bat outta he_l (maybe needing a P break) and ignores people waiting at the bus stop. Or they go from the extreme right lane thru the center lane to be at the right lane for one person who signed them.?????? Consistancy ??? anywhere????? kinda like common sense - not easy to find at times.

One thing you should consider to try for a smoother life here is to be more patient and not examine things that much. Because you certainly can't change it.

I was in the middle of Bangkok's traffic in the 80s almost daily. It was much more worse than now and I had to go to many different locations all around BKK. Pollution was worse as well. Sometimes I waited in my car 20 minutes for maybe 30 meters to go and wait again. Sukhumvit Soi 15 to Soi 1 one hour minimum. From Chaeron Krung to Sukhumvit 2 hours...

Sometimes I thought exactly like you. About the red/green intervals, the bus lanes, the changes from two way to one way streets, the way the traffic police is handling all that...

And the best resolution for me was: Don't care at all. I can not change that. A changed to take taxis, read, relaxed, looked around and did not care at all anymore.

One thing you should consider to try for a smoother life here is to be more patient and not examine things that much. Because you certainly can't change it.

I was in the middle of Bangkok's traffic in the 80s almost daily. It was much more worse than now and I had to go to many different locations all around BKK. Pollution was worse as well. Sometimes I waited in my car 20 minutes for maybe 30 meters to go and wait again. Sukhumvit Soi 15 to Soi 1 one hour minimum. From Chaeron Krung to Sukhumvit 2 hours...

Sometimes I thought exactly like you. About the red/green intervals, the bus lanes, the changes from two way to one way streets, the way the traffic police is handling all that...

And the best resolution for me was: Don't care at all. I can not change that. A changed to take taxis, read, relaxed, looked around and did not care at all anymore.

I used to catch buses a few years ago - The typical aircon orange ones sometimes the old pink micro buses (incredibly expensive-no wonder they are no more)

if you have time on your hands and can be arsed to work out where the buses go they are great...

cheap, clean, cool and really really cheap - more bus maps should be made available...

Remember the portable pisspots people carried in their cars back then? And televisions, before the advent of in-car dvd. The completion of an elevated freeway system, not to mention MRT and BTS, really helped traffic and stricter laws on emission controls (including enacting and enforcing a law that all truck loads must be covered, which cut down on dust a lot), improved traffic and air quality noticeably.

And if you were here in the 70s you'll remember there were no aircon taxis and no aircon buses, so getting stuck in a traffic jam (and there were plenty back then) was even worse in terms of having to breathe the air at an intersection. Petrol was leaded then too.

But the traffic is still pretty bad, and as someone pointed out, the road-to-vehicles ratio is not conducive to moderate traffic flows.

Remember the portable pisspots people carried in their cars back then?

Is it still available today and if so where can I get one?

I lived here the entire 70's and I don't remember the traffic in Bangkok to be anywhere as bad as it is today, except perhaps when the city is flooded. Yes, 10 - 15 years ago was a lot worse than it is now but it's still worse today with MRT, BTS and expressways than it was in early 80's when we only had 1st stage expressway from what I remember.

too many cars and too many cars

And it will only get worse,

when Tata release their 100,000 baht car

and who will use BTS, Buses, etc when Swine Flu gets a grip here

post-49478-1242556394_thumb.jpg