Thai 'o' Multi Visa From England

Dear members,

A group of us were drinking and putting the world to rites when gradually the conversation turned to visas. A story surfaced about a guy who got a Thai visa from England, by mail, from Malaysia. I didn't believe it was possible, so I did a search of the forum. I did indeed find some posts on the topic, but none of them seemed to have a definitive answer to the question; Is it legal?

So here's the story. I can't vouch for its authenticity, but the issues it raises are still interesting. The guy has a Thai GF. She has a small shop and takes care of him. He went to Malaysia to get a multi visa, but they said they would only issue a single. He wanted longer than that so he decided upon this rather unorthodox plan. He extended his stay in Malaysia and sent his passport off to a mate in England with the relevant info. He said he was a little worried about not having a passport for a while, but figured that the chances were no one would ask to see it.

A while later he got his passport back with a new multi 'O' visa. He came back into Thailand on the new visa with no problems and since then has done a few border runs, each being smooth and uneventful. The officials checked his ins and outs on the computer and passed him through for another 90 days. There was never any question of why he was not in the UK when the visa was issued.

So, is he just lucky, or is this really a legal scenario? It seems to be a grey area. What do you think?

Anyone with views or experience, please share.

Thx

W

I don't have experience in this in my opinion not legal method .

Want I can say is that when I did my visa by post in my homecountry ,

they asked a copy of my ticket (with date) to Thailand .

I did not knew that and they mentioned it to me which I just send to them ,

and they still ask this ( consulate in Amsterdam) .

I read some comments on this forum people doing this , and say its legal ,

which I doubt . Anyway seems like they don't ask this in England , I would send them

an email asking , when doing it by post , which items of paperwork they need .