Six Nations News

Mossfinn

Championship Winners  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm, a very sad day,

however Sadman, what are your thoughts on?

1. Kearney

2. Balshaw

and most importantly

3. Jackman.

I wonder if they are the same as mine?

Moss :o

Firstly, my views are all my own, and the fact that I went for an England victory by 15 will explain in part why no-one asks me to write predictions :D

Well, what to say? I thought that Rob Kearney was ok - nothing special (except THAT tackle) but very dependable. He didn't let anyone down, but showed his inexperience at this level. I suspect that the communication between him and his left wing/outside centre was lacking, judging by Trimble's missed tackle on Shane Williams leading to the try. A good reserve - should challenge Dempsey - but I'd still rather have Murphy.

Balshaw. I'm sorry to sound like a stuck record, but I have no time for him. Supremely talented going forward but very much a confidence player. Great at hitting the line provided he has solid centres, a dominant pack and can work in broken play. Doesn't turn, track back or cover tackle very well and, most of all, is a racehorse: a finely tuned athlete who gets injured easily and gets lots of tweaks and pulls. Waste of time at international level.

Jackman. I know he's new at this level, but I'm unimpressed so far - although he could well improve. His throwing isn't good, but that could be a communication issue rather than accuracy. Appears to be a fairly effective scrummager. Doesn't seem to be much of a ball carrier and was rash in hitting Ryan Jones. To be fair, all this can be coached or gained by experience. The two real issues I have are his commitment (he doesn't seem to have the same will to win as Flannery or the great Keith Wood) and his fitness - is he unfit or just slow? Personally, I'd give him a few games in the A side and give him a chance to show his worth. But then I ain't no international coach.

Edited by sadman

And now....for all you Scotland supporters....well done - you outthought us and outplayed us, wanted it more than us and fully deserved your win. However, they played pretty much as I expected and would have been destroyed against even a moderate side. Poor lineout and scrummaging, too much turnover ball (although the conditions probably had a lot to do with that) and a lack of invention. The atrocious weather helped by making a narrow game the only option (Scotland haven't got much of a wide game at the moment), but the biggest factor was, IMHO, will to win. England didn't have a clue. Kicking out of hand was dire, the discipline was simply unacceptable, and we couldn't string 3 phases together. Headless chickens. For the first time in a long time, I can honestly say that not only were there were no positives to take from it, but literally no-one had a good game.

Ashton has said there won't be many changes for next Saturday. That just about sums it up, I'm afraid. The message to the players is that you can play badly and you will still play next week, presumably because the coach either doesn't have the heart to drop you, or doesn't know what else to do. My own selection would be: Cipriani (blood him at 15), Lewsey, Noon, Anthony Allen, Simpson-Daniel, Hodgson, Wigglesworth; Sheridan, Chuter, Stevens, Shaw, Borthwick (capt), Worsley, Lipman, Easter. However, what do I know? :o

Ireland v Wales was about what I feared. A bit scrappy but with real will to win, and the deciding factor was a missed tackle on Shane Williams. I enjoyed the battle of the scrum halves (which is a bit odd, as I was a loosehead prop). I enjoyed the game, though.

France v Italy was great to watch! The forwards fought each other to a standstill and it was, predictably, the talented French backs who made the difference. A fair result but again, Italy are showing how dangerous they are - Canale again dropped a try-scoring pass but, hey, they're getting better with every game they play.

For this weekend: I still fancy Italy to beat Scotland; France to beat Wales (provided Lievremont doesn't muck about with the side too much) and Ireland to beat England. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Edited by sadman

Well I agree that there wasn't a wide game but Scotland does have a good kicker....shame about the rest of the team really.

But a victory is a victory 15 - 9 thats all it took!

Absolutely - a win's a win, for all tha'.

Chris Paterson is just fantastic. One of the commentators said that he hadn't missed a kick in something like 28 or 29. That is an extraordinary strike rate. I know he had the best strike rate in the RWC and, presumably, in this 6 Nations.

I've just seen that Lievremont has made 6 changes to the French for Saturday. I have to be totally honest and say that I have absolutely no idea what he's doing and not a clue who might win on Saturday. I think the runes must favour Wales, being a settled side, but I just don't know about France.

Also, the names Cipriani and Simpson-Daniel have been mentioned this afternoon - but you heard it first on TV :o

Seriously, though - S-D has been on fire all season: I don't know what else he has to do to get selected. There must be good players wondering what they have to do, too, as the current team are re-selected despite playing so badly.

I would have a couple of bob on Ashton not being around too much longer in his current role. I'd like to see Dean Ryan or Richard Hill (the Bristol one) come in, but I don't think they have the experience to take over as head coach. Jake White, perhaps? The RFU have already missed out on Gatland.

Hmmm, a very sad day,

however Sadman, what are your thoughts on?

1. Kearney

2. Balshaw

and most importantly

3. Jackman.

I wonder if they are the same as mine?

Moss :o

Balshaw. I'm sorry to sound like a stuck record, but I have no time for him. Supremely talented going forward but very much a confidence player. Great at hitting the line provided he has solid centres, a dominant pack and can work in broken play. Doesn't turn, track back or cover tackle very well and, most of all, is a racehorse: a finely tuned athlete who gets injured easily and gets lots of tweaks and pulls. Waste of time at international level.

Jackman. I know he's new at this level, but I'm unimpressed so far - although he could well improve. His throwing isn't good, but that could be a communication issue rather than accuracy. Appears to be a fairly effective scrummager. Doesn't seem to be much of a ball carrier and was rash in hitting Ryan Jones. To be fair, all this can be coached or gained by experience. The two real issues I have are his commitment (he doesn't seem to have the same will to win as Flannery or the great Keith Wood) and his fitness - is he unfit or just slow? Personally, I'd give him a few games in the A side and give him a chance to show his worth. But then I ain't no international coach.

Well, what to say? I thought that Rob Kearney was ok - nothing special (except THAT tackle) but very dependable. He didn't let anyone down, but showed his inexperience at this level. I suspect that the communication between him and his left wing/outside centre was lacking, judging by Trimble's missed tackle on Shane Williams leading to the try. A good reserve - should challenge Dempsey - but I'd still rather have Murphy.

Personally, I thought Kearney had a good game, but I would also prefer to see Murphy at Full Back, but Kearney will be the fixture in the near future.

Not at fault in my opinion for try, Bowe and Trimble should have dealt with it.

As for Balshaw, I couldn't really concentrate on the match, but he appeared to have a good game, but I'll leave the overall opinions to yourself.

But importantly, Jackman.

My humble opinion is he should never play for Ireland again, take away his oveall poor play in previous games, his poor discipline cost Ireland the game, a game, they admittedly didn't deserve, but nonetheless, he is responsible.

His attack on Jones was a cheap shot of the highest order, it served no purpose, there was no rhyme or reason to it, but it reversed the Irish ball, we would have progressed up the field, in time honoured fashion, prompting a foul and an O'Gara penalty, or if getting close enough, a drop goal.

Ireland have done this tactic, countless times, not least against Wales a couple of Seasons ago.

The ball was reversed, Wales scored the Pen and Ireland had to score a try, mindless, absolutely mindless, he should never play again.

Moss

Ashton has said there won't be many changes for next Saturday. That just about sums it up, I'm afraid. The message to the players is that you can play badly and you will still play next week, presumably because the coach either doesn't have the heart to drop you, or doesn't know what else to do. My own selection would be: Cipriani (blood him at 15), Lewsey, Noon, Anthony Allen, Simpson-Daniel, Hodgson, Wigglesworth; Sheridan, Chuter, Stevens, Shaw, Borthwick (capt), Worsley, Lipman, Easter. However, what do I know? :o

Hmmm ... how about 'more than the current England head coach'???

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at that!!!

CC

It's easy for me to do the selection and coaching from an armchair. When I get it wrong, we all have a laugh. When Ashton gets it wrong, it's big news.

Please don't misunderstand me - I am passionate about rugby, happy to criticise or compliment as I see fit; I am not, however, fit to clean the boots of any of the international players or coaches. I played at a low level and I coach at a low level (both at county level) and whilst I have some knowledge, I would never put myself up as anywhere near those people.

(But if the RFU are reading this, I'm available most Sunday mornings, if my son isn't playing :o ).

Moss - sorry if I didn't appear to rate Kearney. I thought he was ok and I think he'll get better. He should deputise for Murphy, IMHO, but he's not the finished article yet.

As for Jackman - I'm not so sure that it was really a cheap shot, rather than stupidity born of frustration. He did it out in the open and made no attempt to hide it or justify it. Also, I rather suspect that Jones wasn't acting as innocently as his upstretched arms made out. A mistake - yes. Enough to sack him - I think that might be harsh. If his attitude is ok, I think a good forwards coach could do something with him. But I still prefer Flannery.

Moss - sorry if I didn't appear to rate Kearney.

No problem, I wasn't having a bash, just gave my opinion

I thought he was ok and I think he'll get better. He should deputise for Murphy, IMHO, but he's not the finished article yet.

Agree with all this

But I still prefer Flannery.

So do I, but I would still sack him, it still hurts, however I take the Jolly Greens to turn over the Lilly Whites on Saturday.

Good Luck

Moss